PDA

View Full Version : Last minute OLine changes

KYPack
10-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm super shaky about this game.

This doesn't bolster my confidence...

The offensive line is still an unknown. On Wednesday the Packers put Jason Spitz with the No. 1 offense at right guard. He lined up there again on Thursday for at least a portion of practice. But overall, the Packers rotated Spitz at left and right guard and also inserted Daryn Colledge at left guard and Tony Moll at right guard. It may not be known until later in the week or before the game Monday night at Philadelphia whom will get the nod. "Ask (coach) Mike McCarthy or (general manager) Ted (Thompson) about starters," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not going to go in to it."

Are we in any kind of condition to be pulling this shit on Wed & Thurs.?

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 10:28 AM
According to Coach's comments, Moll and Colledge are the starters this week. Jason has been working with the ones trying to get contact and get ready to go, but as of the last press conference he is not back just yet.

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I find this all very odd. I would think they would keep Spitz out until he is 100% for the practice week. It's not like any of the three guys is that good or terrible.

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Why would they do that if he needs the reps to test the leg?

Patler
10-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I find this all very odd. I would think they would keep Spitz out until he is 100% for the practice week. It's not like any of the three guys is that good or terrible.

If you waited for players to be "100%" you wouldn't have anyone who could play. Everyone plays injured.

Nothing odd about this at all. It had been acknowledged by most, including quite matter-of-factly by Larry McCarren, that Spitz was clearly the best of the three rookies before his injury. He will play as soon as he is healthy enough to outperform whoever is deemed to be #3, whether it is when he is "85%", "90%" or "100%"..

KYPack
10-02-2006, 10:37 AM

These changes coupled with TWO new starting backs?

One of which has never played in an NFL game before and wasn't on the active roster Monday?

I'm nervous about this one to the max.

I don't mind the changes, if a guy's hurt, let him get healthy. But the shuffling is confusing to our young boys in the line.

retailguy
10-02-2006, 10:39 AM

One of which has never played in an NFL game before and wasn't on the active roster Monday?

I don't mind the changes, if a guy's hurt, let him get healthy. But the shuffling is confusing to our young boys in the line.

Thats OK, KY. KGB is going to get like a dozen sacks, and they'll need to triple team him....

Ok, I'm awake now, and it is going to be pretty ugly, but damn that was a good dream....

MasonCrosby
10-02-2006, 10:40 AM
i thought colledge was a better tackle and played that position in college? why do they keep trying to make him a guard?

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Patler, I heard that remark from McCarren, he said Spitz was "the best of the bunch", and I believe it. Don't know about the "clearly" part. I haven't heard anything that differentiating from McGinn or others sports writers, haven't seen much difference with my own eyes. I suspect they're bunched together pretty closely. I have zero idea whether Colledge is better than Moll.

KYPack
10-02-2006, 10:44 AM

If you waited for players to be "100%" you wouldn't have anyone who could play. Everyone plays injured.

Nothing odd about this at all. It had been acknowledged by most, including quite matter-of-factly by Larry McCarren, that Spitz was clearly the best of the three rookies before his injury. He will play as soon as he is healthy enough to outperform whoever is deemed to be #3, whether it is when he is "85%", "90%" or "100%"..

The Patler pooch knows where-of he speaks. This is for true. NFL players are only healthy for one game a year, that first pre-season game.

I'm glad to hear that Spitz is starting to gain status. Moll has made huge leaps and bound, maybe these boys will be big things some day.

College is a couple years away, probably as a sleek tackle in the ZBS

KYPack
10-02-2006, 10:48 AM

Thats OK, KY. KGB is going to get like a dozen sacks, and they'll need to triple team him....

Ok, I'm awake now, and it is going to be pretty ugly, but damn that was a good dream....

I'm honestly hoping we give 'em a go & make a game of it.

If we get wiped out, I gotta hear all that "Favre outta retire" horsehit around here & I don't feel like it.

I'm trying to be a pom-pom waver, RG, but I don't think I can make it!

pbmax
10-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I read Friday night, or heard on the radio that it looked like Colledge and Moll for Monday night. Which meant Spitz got practice reps for 2 1/2 days, some with the number ones. And now he'll be backing both up.

If they do start Colledge and Moll, that two weeks in a row. Unfortunately, thats as far as we can go for consistency's sake.

I hope it eventually goes Colledge/Spitz, but on performance, not just on my hopefulness and the draft order.

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I hope it eventually goes Colledge/Spitz, but on performance, not just on my hopefulness and the draft order.

Do you think Colledge is better than Moll?

I think Moll has just as much potential as the others, a guy moving from tight end to guard in two years intrigues me.

Patler
10-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Patler, I heard that remark from McCarren, he said Spitz was "the best of the bunch", and I believe it. Don't know about the "clearly" part. I haven't heard anything that differentiating from McGinn or others sports writers, haven't seen much difference with my own eyes. I suspect they're bunched together pretty closely. I have zero idea whether Colledge is better than Moll.

I'm not talking about MacCarren's recent comment (this week). I heard that one too. I was referring to an O-line analysis he did at the start of the season, before Spitz was injured. He said at this stage of their development, Spitz was clearly (or something similar to that) well ahead of the other two. He said some was due to the fact that he had been a guard in college, and had played both right and left in college. He also said he had a guard's mentallity. I got the feeling he thought Spitz would do fine.

retailguy
10-02-2006, 11:00 AM

I'm having a real hard time with this game. If you look at matchups we don't match up particularly well. Our DL has had problems with lesser OL's and our secondary has really struggled.

Our OL has had much run blocking difficulty and has had one week of good pass blocking.

It seems that their team strengths are the very things that we have struggled mightily with. It could be a very long night.

I've never been much of a predictor. I stopped predicting as a teenager when Joe Pisarchuk muffed a punt on monday night football and "lost the sure thing".....

I am not looking forward to the game tonight, and I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Harlan Huckleby
10-02-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm having a real hard time with this game. If you look at matchups we don't match up particularly well. Our DL has had problems with lesser OL's and our secondary has really struggled.

Pickett isn't playing, too. He's significantly better than the other tackles. Or maybe he will play?

retailguy
10-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Pickett isn't playing, too. He's significantly better than the other tackles. Or maybe he will play?

Pickett is better on paper, but I haven't been impressed. I expected him to command double teams and free up the DE's and Jenkins. Hasn't happened yet.

I think williams has outplayed him. What's happened to Cole? He's been worse.

Tarlam!
10-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Well, I just hope the pass pro is going to hold up. We need Brett upright.

I also hope Brett comes in and rids us of those 4th and 26 demons by beating the crap outta their secondary.

But, I'm with KY, my nerves are shattered!!!

mmmdk
10-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Do you think Colledge is better than Moll?

I think Moll has just as much potential as the others, a guy moving from tight end to guard in two years intrigues me.

I have the same feeling about Moll. Also, Dallas & the Tuna wanted this guy. That's all good to me plus the kid, Moll, seems to want to be good. Moll still has a long ways to go though. Colledge & Spitz are good projects and perhaps has better upside too but wow, we're starting 2 out of 3 of these cubs. They've been so-so but they haven't been killed - yet!?

ahaha
10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I think this uncertainty about the starting line is encouraging. To me it seems like they like all three guys. If College had struggled, like he did in preseason, they're probably wouldn't be a question...Spitz would start. Tampa has tried to start two rookie guards and look at the mess their offense is in. We've had three rookies start at guard and been productive on offense. I'm excited with the future of this offensive line.

KYPack
10-02-2006, 12:05 PM

Our OL has had much run blocking difficulty and has had one week of good pass blocking.

It seems that their team strengths are the very things that we have struggled mightily with. It could be a very long night.

I've never been much of a predictor. I stopped predicting as a teenager when Joe Pisarchuk muffed a punt on monday night football and "lost the sure thing".....

I am not looking forward to the game tonight, and I hope that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Wasn't Monday nite & wasn't a punt.

It was an amazing play. Pisarchik was the QB of the Giants and fumbled a hand-off (To Larry Czonka, BTW).

The ball bounced on the turf and Herman Edwards (that's right the Chiefs Jets coach) picked it up and scored the winning touchdown. the Eagles (there's that name again) WIN. In a game they had no chance of winning.

Now I really got bad vibes!

mraynrand
10-02-2006, 12:16 PM
The thing I found odd was having Jags tell reporters to ask McCarthy or TT about it. I always get worried when the GM is referred to in game day playing decisions seemingly over the O-coordinator. The GM should be out of the picture in picking game day active and inactive players, starters, backups, etc. He should be involved up to that point in making sure they have the players they need that week if there is an injury to cover, etc. Is there any reason TT should be more involved than Jags in picking the starting guards? I don't like it.

Guiness
10-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Where the heck is Coston in all of this talk? He's the only 2nd year player in the bunch, and should be ahead in his development.

Looking at the injury report, that knee injury is still bothering him. I wonder how he's recovering. Are they really going to keep that putz around for 2years without seeing a live snap? Maybe I'm still annoyed at him by the description of his wife...

I see that Martin is also on the injured list with an illness. Great. He's not hurt, now he has the flu :sad:

Patler
10-02-2006, 12:52 PM
The thing I found odd was having Jags tell reporters to ask McCarthy or TT about it. I always get worried when the GM is referred to in game day playing decisions seemingly over the O-coordinator. The GM should be out of the picture in picking game day active and inactive players, starters, backups, etc. He should be involved up to that point in making sure they have the players they need that week if there is an injury to cover, etc. Is there any reason TT should be more involved than Jags in picking the starting guards? I don't like it.

I think it is well-established that Jagodzinski simply runs at the mouth. I've gotten to where I pretty much ignore what he says.

retailguy
10-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I think it is well-established that Jagodzinski simply runs at the mouth. I've gotten to where I pretty much ignore what he says.

Thank God! It's not just me. phew!

KYPack
10-02-2006, 03:57 PM

I got the same vibe, boys.

Jags seems to be a loose cannon, but Thompson does seem to push to have is lads play. It is bizarre for an OC to say word one about the GM, let alone make a statement like that.

There are some strange things afoot.