PDA

View Full Version : Expect a shootout in Packers-Eagles matchup-NFL.Com

Tarlam!
10-02-2006, 01:42 PM
By Pat Kirwan/ NFL.com Senior Analyst

(Sept. 30, 2006) -- Two weeks ago, Brett Favre discovered the old Brett Favre and the results have been impressive. Two straight games of 340 yards passing with six touchdown passes and just one interception suggests the ole' No. 4 still can play this game at a high level -- and he loves Monday Night Football. On the other side of the field in Monday night's Packers-Eagles matchup will be Donovan McNabb and the league's No. 1 offense -- 436 total yards per game. This matchup should be full of big plays and lots of scoring, especially when you drill down into both defenses. The Eagles defense can get after the passer with pressure, but the secondary hasn't held up well against the pass. The Packers defense will face Philly's no-huddle offense, which will exploit a Packers secondary that struggles and gives up big plays.

SOME FAST FACTS TO KEEP IN MIND IF YOU LIKE THE EAGLES
1. The Eagles have defeated Green Bay eight straight times in Philadelphia.
2. The Packers defense gave up 24 points to Detroit.
3. The Eagles defense has 16 sacks in three games and it has forced seven fumbles.
4. Last week, Eagles RB Brian Westbrook had 164 total yards on 12 touches.
5. Packers RB Ahman Green had a fourth-quarter fumble in the last two games.
6. Philadelphia is 7-0 against NFC North teams since the realignment in 2002.

SOME FAST FACTS TO KEEP IN MIND IF YOU LIKE THE PACKERS
1. Favre has thrown 18 touchdowns to just four interceptions in his last seven MNF games.
2. In Favre's last 91 pass attempts, his O-line has only given up two sacks.
3. In the last two weeks, wide receivers Donald Driver and Greg Jennings have combined for 20 receptions and 351 yards.
4. Favre completed passes to 10 different receivers in Week 3.
5. The Eagles defense has allowed five TD passes and opponents completed 65.5 percent of their passes.
6. The Eagles defense has surrendered 250-plus yards passing per game and no picks.

WHEN THE EAGLES HAVE THE BALL
Eagles coach Andy Reid and his high-powered offense will come right out of the blocks at home with an aggressive attack that is more pass than run until he gets a solid lead. Facing McNabb will be the 31st-ranked defense that will absolutely struggle to slow the Eagles down. McNabb will make sure Westbrook gets most of his plays to keep his 140 yards-per-game average. But the place McNabb wants to go is up top.

Donovan McNabb and the top ranked Eagles offense will look to exploit the Packers' porous defense.
The Packers defense gives up big plays and opponents have averaged seven explosive pass plays per game. The Eagles' L.J. Smith has the most receiving yards for NFL tight ends so far this season and the Packers safeties will be his prime targets. Receiver Donte Stallworth should be ready to play, which means Charles Woodson better have his 'A' game.

The Eagles always seem to be under criticism about their running game, but the truth is they average 129 yards per game behind a massive offensive line. If and when the Eagles take a substantial lead and want to utilize the 'four-minute package' to eat up some clock to keep Favre off the field, I have two concerns: 1) Do the Birds have the big back to pound the running game? And 2), is there any truth to the idea that coach Reid's conservative game plans late in games have led to recent comebacks by opponents? My response is they still need a big back to move the chains and the play-calling is just fine.

The Packers defense only has eight sacks and the Eagles have only given up five. Green Bay is looking at a QB who gets taken to the ground just once in every 23 pass attempts. Packers coordinator Bob Sanders might have to consider some more blitz pressure if he wants to disrupt McNabb's flow. Only one Packer sack is from a non-defensive lineman.

WHEN THE PACKERS HAVE THE BALL
As well as Favre is playing recently and his outstanding MNF record, the Packers must still establish a running game to keep the Eagles offense off the field. The problems are Green Bay averages 3.2 yards a carry, it doesn't have a rushing touchdown in three games and the offensive line has a number of rookies starting. The problem the Packers O-line faces in this game is that Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson will rotate four defensive tackles all game long and keep the pressure on the run game. The Birds defense keeps opponents under 4.0 yards a carry and hasn't allowed a rush for over 22 yards. It will not be long before coach Mike McCarthy is forced to surrender the running game and a balanced attack for the passing game on a steady diet. Keep in mind, Favre had to throw 55 times last week to beat the Lions.

Brett Favre looks to have another spectacular night under the spotlights of Monday Night Football.
Favre had great success with the short passing attack against the Lions, especially from the shotgun and his teammates made a lot happen after the catch. No better example than the 75-yard touchdown reception by rookie Jennings, which was little more than a 5-yard completion. I'm all in favor of the quick pass attacks in this contest to keep Trent Cole (five sacks) and his teammates from forcing Favre into a series of bad decisions. As long as the Hall of Fame QB doesn't turn himself into the 'gunslinger' he used to be, the less trouble his team will get into.

Green Bay will still give the ball to Green 20 times and hopefully he has worked on his fumble issues this week. I'm not sure drills eliminate fumbles, but an attitude about ball security, especially with the Eagles defenders trying to strip the ball, is a necessity.

CONCLUSION
I'm looking forward to an offensive shootout as Favre inches closer to Dan Marino's touchdown record and McNabb brings his team back to the NFC East title and a playoff run. Neither team had any success on MNF last season with a combined record of 0-6. One team will stop the losing streak at three, while the other team makes it a fourth straight loss on the national stage. McNabb told me this summer that he's prepared to run when he has to move the chains and score in the red zone. Westbrook doesn't practice very much these days, but he performs at game time and this game will be no different.

Green Bay's scoring has gone up every week -- from 0 to 27 to 31 -- and the Eagles convert a very impressive 48.7 percent of their third downs. I like the Eagles to win this game with close to 30 points and the Packers to hang around by putting up close to 24 points. Three or four lead changes wouldn't surprise me one bit. Don't fall asleep on the couch during this one.

Tarlam!
10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Favre only had to throw 36 times to beat the lions. He threw 55 times in a loss against the Saints...

Apart from that, it was a good read in preparation of the game!

mraynrand
10-02-2006, 04:22 PM
"The Eagles' L.J. Smith has the most receiving yards for NFL tight ends so far this season and the Packers safeties will be his prime targets."

---

Uhhh, perhaps not. Wouldn't the target be Poppinga, or does LJ run straight upfield? Other teams have had some luck with receivers deep and with lots of crossing routes (flat routes underneath), because of the general lack of pass rush.

THe biggest key to this game may be none other than Corey Williams - if he can play effective in the run game AND generate a steady pass rush (well, better than Pickett), the Packers might be able to disrupt some of the Eagles' plans. I think the Eagles are like Detroit in that they like to shift to generate matchups in their favor. If the Packers can't force the issue with pressure, they'll get picked apart, because Philly's skill players are so much better than Detroit's.

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Was the "big Irv" game one of his last MNF games? I just get the feeling that his MNF stats are somehow skewed. I just don't remember us being that much of a MNF powerhouse lately, but that game would really throw the stats off a bit. It was an incredible performance.

packers11
10-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Was the "big Irv" game one of his last MNF games? I just get the feeling that his MNF stats are somehow skewed. I just don't remember us being that much of a MNF powerhouse lately, but that game would really throw the stats off a bit. It was an incredible performance.

Actually... The stats are with bad games too... DOES ANYONE remember the Ravens 3-48 disaster.... Then he played pretty well in the Vikings loss, and then the Carolina loss... But then the year before in 2004 ANYONE REMEMBER the Titans game? Everyone left Lambeau at half... But we won two other games 1 against Carolina and another against the Rams...

The MNF game @ Oakland was in 2003, and was the seventh game they were talking about... Even though he did have a extremely good performance... There was some downfalls to, so it evens out...

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 05:32 PM
That's what I was thinking. I attended one of those shellackings so maybe that's why I don't believe the stats.

BallHawk
10-02-2006, 05:34 PM
That's what I was thinking. I attended one of those shellackings so maybe that's why I don't believe the stats.

MJ, I forget. Where do you live?

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 05:37 PM
On the east coast. We traveled to Baltimore for that one. What a night. My ass got frozen. My teams' asses got handed to them. Donald Driver kicked the bench in disgust. I was mad at him for that 'cause if he'd have hurt his foot....!

BallHawk
10-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Do you live up in New England?