GrnBay007
10-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Your thoughts.

He should be charged with assault.

swede
10-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Your thoughts.

He should be charged with assault.

I am a football fan. Football gets rough. The hit from Sapp on Clifton was chicken shit but it was legal and it was a football hit.

This guy should be arrested. Nothing about wearing a football uniform allows you to pull off a guy's helmet and stomp on his head. What if he'd pushed his nose into his brain and killed him? --You wouldn't call that 2nd degree murder?

This was an assault, and though the guy's apology was heartfelt and eloquent it shouldn't excuse him from paying the consequences.

A five game suspension is a joke.

TPF
10-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I do believe that his apology may of reduced his suspension. If that was Haynesworth's plan with that apology, I do not know.

GrnBay007
10-02-2006, 03:52 PM
A five game suspension is a joke.

Agree!! An insult to the NFL and the game of football!!!

BallHawk
10-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I just found out that this was the biggest suspension in NFL history. The cloest was our own Charles Martin delivering the cheap hit on McMahon.

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 04:33 PM
I wonder if Jeff Fisher thinks this is stern enough or if the Titans will be adding to it.

ahaha
10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
I just found out that this was the biggest suspension in NFL history. The cloest was our own Charles Martin delivering the cheap hit on McMahon.

One good thing to come out of the Haynesworth incident is that we got to see Charles Martin's "Hit List" play on ESPN. Man, that was sweet!

ahaha
10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Although, it was dirty. Shame on Charles Martin. :mrgreen:

ND72
10-02-2006, 05:40 PM
i am willing to bet, that Jeff Fischer will suspend him maybe the same MORE amount, for a total of 10 games...it wouldn't surprise me. I respect Jeff fischer a lot, and I think he will take this more than seriously.

retailguy
10-02-2006, 05:53 PM
i am willing to bet, that Jeff Fischer will suspend him maybe the same MORE amount, for a total of 10 games...it wouldn't surprise me. I respect Jeff fischer a lot, and I think he will take this more than seriously.

I think the new CBA prevents some things related to this, ala the Eagles and T.O. and the Bucs and Keyshawn.

I recall a maximum of 4 games, but also think there was some verbage about defering to the commissioner's office?

Somebody with more time than me can look it up.... but Fischers hands might be tied with the new CBA.

retailguy
10-02-2006, 06:06 PM

Just found this on usatoday:

Titans coach Jeff Fisher said Haynesworth's actions were unacceptable.

"I felt there needed to be some serious action taken from a discipline standpoint, and I believe that what the league has done right now is adequate," Fisher said.

that just kind of sums it up...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/titans/2006-10-02-haynesworth-suspension_x.htm

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 06:25 PM
It may draw a hearing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to suspend him for four more games.

oregonpackfan
10-02-2006, 06:36 PM
His apology is noteworthy but I think he should be suspended for the season.

Having him arrested is going a little too far. Had the physical assault occured in a public place away from the playing field, then yes, I would have him charged for assault.

I think Fischer has handled the incident as a professional.

OPF

Patler
10-02-2006, 06:37 PM
The 5 game suspension covers six weeks, because of their bye week. That means he will lose 6/17ths of his pay. Over one-third of his salary! Pretty significant hit in the wallet.

Patler
10-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Having him arrested is going a little too far. Had the physical assault occured in a public place away from the playing field, then yes, I would have him charged for assault.

OPF

Several hockey players have been charged with assault for on-ice actions. No different here.

mission
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
I just saw this on ESPN...

The Titans arent going to add to the suspension. Fisher said the penalty was unprecedented but so was the action. Seemingly thought it fit the crime.

The math comes out to a little under $500,000 that it will cost Haynesworth according to ESPN. Nashville police also contacted [whats his name] to let him know they were immediately ready to carry out any charges if he decided to press them. Dude probably won't as that's kind of against the masculine football mantra, but it's definitely deserving. He doesn't have to do time, but if any of us did that to someone at work, we'd receive much more than a work suspension.

Personally, I would have suspended him for the year. I'm definitely NOT the guy that screams at the TV when there's a big hit (maybe even leading with the head) and I hate all the pansy stuff that's continually added to protect players but this was something NOT within the realm of a football play and displays complete lack of poise and horseshit judgement.

Suspend him for the year. Fuck the apology, he just repeated what Fisher said and I would have been a lot more passionate in it if I myself had done something so assinine.

Kiwon
10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
I firmly believe in punishing offenders commensurate to their crimes, but in this case I believe the NFL got it about right, in this sense.....they sent a message and the message will be received.

In my view, the important point is not just punishing one player, but sending a message to the other players not to do the same thing. The NFL's reaction should accomplish this goal.

Albert Haynesworth was already contrite and had apologized before the NFL responded and will have to live with the consequences of his actions. No matter what he says, he will always be remembered for this incident and considered "a dirty player." When he does return to the field, some real dirty players will be taking aim at his knees. Make no mistake....Haynesworth made a ton of enemies on Sunday.

My expectation is that the 5-game suspension without pay from the NFL is just the beginning. He will also face:

Additional punishment/suspension from the Titans
Financial settlement paid to the injured player
Loss of endorsement income
Soiled reputation for life

Seems like a fairly heavy penalty to me. It's tough to be the bad-boy that gets made an example of. He brought it all on himself and he will have to live with that.

lord favre
10-02-2006, 07:31 PM
This tool should be banished and blackballed for good.

Guiness
10-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Through all of this, any idea what the heck caused him to do this???

He doesn't have a history as a particularly dirty player. The guy he his said they hadn't talked much before the incident. Why did he snap? Was he really that frustrated?

BEARMAN
10-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Any place but a football field and that is Criminal Assult, you are arested and put in jail !
He should be banned from football perminatly, and arested !
There is NO place in football for that, it was and is unacceptable !
Oh, but it is OK, he said he was sorry ? WTF ? BS ! Arest that MF'er and put him behind bars where he belongs !

GO BEARS

MJZiggy
10-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Hmmmm. Common ground with Bearman...It's a first but I absolutely agree with you. He should be arrested for that one.

Zool
10-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Hmmmm. Common ground with Bearman...It's a first but I absolutely agree with you. He should be arrested for that one.And after he's arrested, his cellmates should throw him to the ground and stomp his head.

b bulldog
10-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Looking at the size of him, I hope that the number of mates woyuld exceed six. That man is huge!

Zool
10-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Yeah I thought of that as I was typing it. Maybe just let him sit in a cell and think about what he's done.

GrnBay007
10-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Looking at the size of him, I hope that the number of mates woyuld exceed six. That man is huge!

Yeah, and just think of that big azz cleet coming down on a guy's face. Like I said before it's an insult to the game of football and the NFL.

Anyone hear if there are going to be charges?

Fosco33
10-03-2006, 12:59 AM

Yeah, and just think of that big azz cleet coming down on a guy's face. Like I said before it's an insult to the game of football and the NFL.

Anyone hear if there are going to be charges?

Haynesworth will forfeit $190,070 during his suspension, losing $38,014 per game from his $646,251 base salary.

Nashville police and the district attorney contacted the Cowboys' general counsel Monday, offering their assistance to Gurode in prosecuting Haynesworth.

Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said Gurode lifted weights and could practice Wednesday.

GrnBay007
10-03-2006, 01:16 AM
Does the NFL have any kind of policy concerning this type of act of violence? Anything like the substance use.....3 strikes and you're out or anything like that?

Actually it should be any repeat act of violence after a stunt like that. I know it's difficult to use the word "violence" talking about football because it is a violent sport.

Does the fine or loss of wages due to suspension really hurt for these guys? I mean, does making 400,000 rather than 600,00 going to make the guy sit back and reflect on what he's done wrong? I know the way some of them talk they can't feed or cloth their familes for 400,000 a year...but besides that.

Terry
10-03-2006, 10:43 AM
When you're that big, it's hard to clothe and feed yourself on 400K a year.

Whoever said that if anyone else in any other line of work did this to another employee would get a lot worse than a suspension with loss of pay was dead right.

Unless you're a CEO, of course, organizing a terror campaign against a whistle blower, or stealing all your rivals trade secrets, or robbing your entire workforce blind and ruining their entire post retirement lives.

But it's true, no ordinary person would get away with this sort of carry on.

BEARMAN
10-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Can there be a public outcry ? Just plain citizens saying "ENUFF" ! ?

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
10-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Are you demanding his head on a platter, Bearman? I think it's up to the victim whether he wants to press charges, isn't it? I mean, if he decides he doesn't want to then they leave it alone? right?

BEARMAN
10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Ur right ziggy, it just PO'ed me is all, and a 5 game suspension dosen't seem fare to me. But don't you think the Dallas player will be preasured into letting it go, dropping it? Just so the NFL don't get a black eye from it ? playing devels advacate here.

GO BEARS !

Rastak
10-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Ur right ziggy, it just PO'ed me is all, and a 5 game suspension dosen't seem fare to me. But don't you think the Dallas player will be preasured into letting it go, dropping it? Just so the NFL don't get a black eye from it ? playing devels advacate here.

GO BEARS !

I think the Dallas player may very well be subtly preassured. It would give
the NFL a black eye if he were prosecuted.....

On an unrelated note, are you tailgating before the Bears-Vikes game at Soldier field....? Rastak will be there tailgating with a bunch of Bears fans and 2 Vikes fans.....

MJZiggy
10-04-2006, 07:27 PM

GO BEARS !

Quit saying stuff I agree with!! :razz: I know that Jeff Fischer told Bill Parcells that if the punishment handed down by the league wasn't harsh enough, he'd take matters into his own hands. I am curious to find out what he thinks on the matter. Also, I found this:

Gurode plans to talk with his family about pressing criminal charges against Haynesworth, McGuire told Nashville police Monday.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/82359,CST-SPT-nflnt04.article

billy_oliver880
10-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I am with Bearman on this one...lets make this guy an example. Show other players in the league that its not right to assault someone like that. Prove it to the world that you have to guts to handle this like it was an off the field matter. Remember the suspensions dealt out in the Detroit-Indiana basketball game? How is this any different...still a human being getting assaulted.

BEARMAN
10-04-2006, 10:20 PM
OMG... BEARs and Packer fans agreeing... makes one almost.... ill. :shock:
Thanks Ziggy, hope his family talks some sence into him.
Rastak, I live in Wa. St. so no I will not be at that game.

GO BEARS !

billy_oliver880
10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
OMG... BEARs and Packer fans agreeing... makes one almost.... ill. :shock:
Thanks Ziggy, hope his family talks some sence into him.
Rastak, I live in Wa. St. so no I will not be at that game.

GO BEARS !

I still hate the bears. :razz:

BEARMAN
10-05-2006, 06:25 PM
LOL, that's good to know billy, cos I still hate the packers too. :razz:

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
10-05-2006, 10:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2614453

No Charges, but Titans unsure if Haynesworth will be around next season...

BEARMAN
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM
See, just as I thought, the NFL got to the Dallas player and had him not press charges. That is so much BS ! He says he got what he deserves... BS ! He deserves to be in jail ! Even if the Titans let him go, you know some other team will sign him. Heck, he is 6'6" and 332 lbs. Just another case of the miscarriage of justice ! #$%&*(*&^$#@! ANYWAY. Rant off, I am feeling muuuuuch better now,(not realy, but I don't want you packer fans thinking I am slipping). Just my .02 for what it's worth.

GO BEARS !

Kiwon
10-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Vengeful Reaction?
10/05/2006
Yahoo! Sports - Jason Cole

There has been plenty of hand-wringing and shouting over Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth's violent actions against Dallas Cowboys guard Andre Gurode this week, up to and including that Haynesworth should be sent to jail.

Late in Dallas' blowout win on Sunday, Haynesworth tore off Gurode's helmet and stomped on Gurode's face, twice. Gurode suffered seven cuts and required 30 stitches.

Perhaps the best take on the situation came from former NFL guard Kevin Gogan, a Pro Bowl player who helped win two Super Bowls in Dallas and had the honor (or is it dishonor?) of once being called the dirtiest player in the game.

Gogan gave a glimpse into what happens on the field and put the situation in some perspective in his weekly podcast on NBX.com.

"That was bad," Gogan said. "My quick take is that we saw the worst of what happened, but you have no idea what happened before that during the first 50 plays. There may have been some cheap shots before that. Obviously there was some frustration on (Haynesworth's) part. He got caught. He needs to be smarter than that.

"Usually, you don't get your payback like that. You usually have to wait for a few plays then you take your shot. You wait for seven more plays then you take another shot. You wait and wait until you get your opening then you go for the soft tissue. This was made worse because he opened a wound and caused stitches."

The league is rife with situations that are equal or worse to what Haynesworth did. In 1987, New York Jets defensive lineman Marty Lyons accidentally ended the career of Pro Football Hall of Fame Dolphins center Dwight Stephenson with a knee-shattering hit during a fumble return. To this day, the Dolphins believe it was a cheap shot. Lyons, friends with Stephenson since their playing days at Alabama, still has regret over the play, but maintains it was not intentional.

Now comes Haynesworth, who has a checkered past and now a checkered future after being suspended for five games by the NFL. The incident has prompted the hue and cry for severe penalties, including prosecution.

Here's the problem: We expect gigantic, strong men with a propensity for violent behavior to conduct themselves with certain level of decorum in the midst of playing their sport.

A sport that, by the way, is really nothing but organized violence and continues to allow all sorts of conduct that can cause severe injury, such as blocking schemes made popular by Denver over the past 15 years.

But when someone like Haynesworth goes beyond the parameters of what we deem to be acceptable violence, some of us scream and yell that he should be banned for the season, banned from the sport or even put in jail.

Give Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher credit for reacting effectively. He screamed at Haynesworth initially, apologized to Dallas coach Bill Parcells after the game and then made it clear that if the NFL didn't take drastic action against Haynesworth, he would. This sent a clear message that Fisher was in charge of the situation, which is essential to controlling all of the players on his team.

And give Haynesworth at least some credit for being contrite in the aftermath. Immediately after the game, he said he would accept any penalty doled out by the NFL or the Titans. He has called Gurode to apologize. The NFL Players Association has publicly said it won't fight the suspension and Haynesworth was scheduled to hold a press conference Thursday afternoon.

The five-game suspension, which will cost Haynesworth just over $190,000, might not sound like enough. But to put it in perspective, if this was the NBA, it would be a 25-game suspension. In baseball, it would be 50. Those are hefty penalties.

But does Haynesworth deserve to be criminally prosecuted for his actions?

Probably, and there is legal precedent. NHL player Todd Bertuzzi was criminally charged and pleaded guilty in March 2004 after slamming opposing player Steve Moore's head into the ice. The key difference between Bertuzzi and Haynesworth is that Bertuzzi talked before the game about taking retaliation against Moore for things Moore did in a previous game.

In legal terms, Bertuzzi demonstrated malice aforethought. So far, there has been no evidence of that in Haynesworth's case. That doesn't mitigate the act, but it does show a difference in circumstance.

In the end, Haynesworth's actions are inexcusable. He has and should be punished. But before people make him out to be a symbol of all that is bad in the game, understand the entire situation.

In short, don't overreact as badly as Haynesworth did.
.................................................. ..

MJZiggy
10-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Just a minor little detail here, but if the league is rife with situations the same or worse than what Haynesworth did, why did the author have to go back to 1987 to find one. 19 years between incidents doesn't seem quite "rife" to me.

Harlan Huckleby
10-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Put Charles Martin & Haynesworth in a cage in battle to death, gladiator style. IT's the only way to stop this insanity.

BEARMAN
10-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Just a minor little detail here, but if the league is rife with situations the same or worse than what Haynesworth did, why did the author have to go back to 1987 to find one. 19 years between incidents doesn't seem quite "rife" to me.
Dangit, stop making so much sence Ziggy! :razz:
Point I want to make is, 1. He PULLED the other players helment off. 2. He stomped on the other players head not once, but TWICE, he didn't like the damage he did the first time so he stomped a second time to finish the job. Those two things, pulling the helment off and the second stomp, make this a heinous crime !

GO BEARS !