PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Chat With Cleft Crusty

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Packer fans. Your pal Cleft Crusty will be here after the game to take your questions. Even though it's after my bedtime, I'll stay up for at least an hour to answer your questions following the Packers - Eagles Monday Night Football game. As ususal, all questions are fair play, but recall, I especially like to field questions concerning whether or not I'm a fan of the Packers, my emotional involvement in the game, and Matt Millen's exceptional run as a GM. Comments praising me and my work at the paper to remain unnamed are always answered first. I especially like when people reference the book "Mudbaths and Bloodbaths," which will break 1,000,000th in ranking at amazon.com just as soon as someone buys a copy. I'll hold out here in the depths of Lincoln Financial Field to answer questions as long as my heart medicine allows.

ahaha
10-02-2006, 05:26 PM
I'll start off with a pre-game question. Thanks for taking it Christl, I mean Crusty.

"Does it hurt when you pull your head out of your ass to brush your teeth?"

Bretsky
10-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Should be interesting to see what the Happy Packer Fan has to say after this game.

B

Fosco33
10-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Q: How's Millen handling all the success for the Lions this year? Seriously though, how'd you rank the 2ndry performance for the Packers tonight? This is in advance of my expectations - which are not high.

Bretsky
10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Dear Cliff,

What actually makes you qualified to be an expert on the Green Bay Packers ? Does your distaste for them slant you to the negative on a consistent basis ?

Partial
10-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Cleft, any pregame predictions!?!?!

TravisWilliams23
10-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Cleft, Your knowledge of the game is beyond reproach.
With that in mind, if you had to choose a QB in fantasy football
between Favre or McNabb, who would you pick tonight?
Thank's O Great One!

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Q: How's Millen handling all the success for the Lions this year? Seriously though, how'd you rank the 2ndry performance for the Packers tonight? This is in advance of my expectations - which are not high.

I think Millen is doing a fine job with the Lions. They've just had some bad breaks. Did you see how many points they ran up on the Rams in their house with an average QB? That's getting value with your FA moves.

ABout the secondary. It's what I expected, except for the good performance in the first half. This unit is poor with Woodson in, and atrocious with Carroll.

Partial
10-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Cleft, Can we expect to see a greatly revamped secondary next season? It is apparent that a change is needed, and I don't believe it is merely coaching. Ahmad Carroll looks like he'll never be a shut down corner, Al Harris looks like his days are behind him, and Woodson was benched behind these two underachievers for 10 million this year. Realistically, I cannot see a single one in a packer uniform next summer. Thoughts?

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Dear Cliff,

What actually makes you qualified to be an expert on the Green Bay Packers ? Does your distaste for them slant you to the negative on a consistent basis ?

I don't like or dislike the Packers. I'm just doing my job as a newspaperman. I love that part of the job - making deadlines, smelling the fresh print of the newspaper, punching out your city desk editor when he ruins your story. All that romance is lost in this computerized society. I would think that you know nothings would rather drown your sorrows with other Packer fans than write to a fossilized collumnist after a loss.

b bulldog
10-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Do you think that Harris will be able to get a refund on his tickets purchased to Hawaii when he thought he would make the probowl?

OS PA
10-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Q - What did Favre pull in his shoulder? Or did he tear something?

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Cleft, Can we expect to see a greatly revamped secondary next season? It is apparent that a change is needed, and I don't believe it is merely coaching. Ahmad Carroll looks like he'll never be a shut down corner, Al Harris looks like his days are behind him, and Woodson was benched behind these two underachievers for 10 million this year. Realistically, I cannot see a single one in a packer uniform next summer. Thoughts?

They looked pretty bad for a stretch with Woodson on the bench. Carroll has to stop grabbing if he wants to remain in football. But before you place the blame entirely on those three, ask yourself how often the Eagles safties were in the picture on deep passes versus Collins. Carroll was left in single coverage an awful lot. Isn't that a bad move considering his past history?

Partial
10-02-2006, 11:11 PM
follow up question to that last one,

Isn't it true our safeties are supposed to be playing center field? If they are not playing center field or impacting the running game, then where are they? I have yet to see Marquad Manual do a single positive thing this season.

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:12 PM

I just have the initial report - that he suffered a minor concussion. It appeared to me that the initial hit was on his tricep of his throwing arm and possible on the ribcage. The blow came from underneath, so there could be some shoulder damage there. He also twisted his neck hitting clifton on the way down. But the real question is this: Why was he still in the game at 31-9. Reminds me of the time Lynn Dickey was seriously injured in a blowout loss, just because Bart Starr had too much pride to pull him. I didn't think McCarthy had as much of his ego tied up into meaningless points at the end of a blowout, but perhaps he's as big a fool as Starr was.

b bulldog
10-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I actually loved the fact that he wanted his Oline to get the 6 and show some attitude. Morency was on 99yards also. I hope the Oline is humiliated!

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Do you think that Harris will be able to get a refund on his tickets purchased to Hawaii when he thought he would make the probowl?

Is the pro bowl in Hawaii? I never get to go because the city desk editor is holding a grudge. Harris should be more concerned about staying on the field. perhaps his attitude about not getting a reworked contract reflects his realization that he's slipping and will never get a decent signing bonus again. Guys like Harris can lose it overnight. He didn't have any speed to lose, and all he may have left is grabbing.

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I actually loved the fact that he wanted his Oline to get the 6 and show some attitude. Morency was on 99yards also. I hope the Oline is humiliated!

That's the kind of play that can kill the spirit of a young team. Philadelphia didn't even have to guess at what was coming, because McCarthy was so stubborn you knew he wasn't going to let Rodgers throw it. A reasonable coach would have at least called a throw on one down.

packers11
10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Q - Why did Favre run into the locker room while Rodgers went to go shake everyones hand.... Ive seen him do that a few times when he lost this season?? He hurting? Or he really just pissed off?

Partial
10-02-2006, 11:18 PM
How is the rest of our defense? Are they play-off calibur? How do you feel about our defensive line? What about the linebackers? Special teams appear to be downright awful. I am led to believe it is because we have a severe lack of quality defensive players. Thoughts?

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:20 PM
follow up question to that last one,

Isn't it true our safeties are supposed to be playing center field? If they are not playing center field or impacting the running game, then where are they? I have yet to see Marquad Manual do a single positive thing this season.

Sometimes I wonder what dedense they are actually calling. But the dropping of the deep help for Carroll was a decision made by Collins. on the TD pass, Manuel stayed up by the line of scrimmage and Collins originally broke right and then moved to give Carroll help - but it was late. If you comapre Collins with Dawkins you see Dawkins recognize the play more often. If Collins continues to have poor recognition, he'll just be a average or below average safety. But the help on the other side is non-existent. You can tell the coaches are getting desperate when they are already giving plays to Culver. The secondary is a mess.

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Cleft, Your knowledge of the game is beyond reproach.
With that in mind, if you had to choose a QB in fantasy football
between Favre or McNabb, who would you pick tonight?
Thank's O Great One!

I think I'd pick McNabb - he's far better than Favre at this point, has the running dimension, and has a better TE for a target. When Westbrook returns, that's another weapon that no other team really has.

But why play fantasy football anyway. Doesn't it lead to you cheering against your team. Doesn't it waste time you could be going out on a date, riding your Harley, or eating at a small town, non-chain restaurant? I mean, get out of your parent's basement and live a real life.

the_idle_threat
10-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Ahmad Carroll looks like he'll never be a shut down corner ...

I disagree completely. Carroll shut down the Packers' chance to win quite effectively tonight.

the_idle_threat
10-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Cleft,

I am very upset to see this loss. When Matt Millen is fired from Detroit because his team cannot execute his brilliant plan, should we hire him as a secondary coach?

P.S. Is Dave Rayner a "playmaker"?

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:27 PM
How is the rest of our defense? Are they play-off calibur? How do you feel about our defensive line? What about the linebackers? Special teams appear to be downright awful. I am led to believe it is because we have a severe lack of quality defensive players. Thoughts?

There are no pro bowl players anywhere on the Packer defense. If you look at Chicago, they have 7 or 8 pro bowlers on that side alone. I can't think of a single player on the Packer defense that could start for Chicago. If you say A.J. Hawk then you're dreaming. He missed a number of tackles and took poor angles against Philly. He may never amount to more than an average starter. Certainly, he's nowhere near a special talent like Urlacher.

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Cleft,

I am very upset to see this loss. When Matt Millen is fired from Detroit because his team cannot execute his brilliant plan, should we hire him as a secondary coach?

I don't think Millen has the qualifications to be a secondary coach. In fact he doesn't have the qualifications to coach any position. As far as I can tell, he's never coached anyone at any position. But he was an excellent color commentator for FOX. Just because he wasn't a coach doesn't mean he can't be the ultimate decision-maker for an NFL franchise. I think he misses his right hand man, Dick Stockton.

Partial
10-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Ahmad Carroll looks like he'll never be a shut down corner ...

I disagree completely. Carroll shut down the Packers' chance to win quite effectively tonight.

:lol: :lol:

FavreChild
10-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Dear Cleft,

True or false: The Packers lost the game in the first half by not capitalizing on opportunities to build a lead and control the tempo.

True or false: Given a virtually tie game at the half, Eagles coaches adjusted and Packers coaches did not.

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Dear Cleft,

True or false: The Packers lost the game in the first half by not capitalizing on opportunities to build a lead and control the tempo.

True or false: Given a virtually tie game at the half, Eagles coaches adjusted and Packers coaches did not.

I'd say a little of both. The Packers had opportunities, but they also were backed up on a number of drives in the first half. It was impressive that the offense was able to get outof the shadow of the goal to get points, or change the field position.

The strange lack of adjustment by the Packer coaches was putting in Carroll, but not giving safety help.

And nothing but having a young team lose heart can explain the quick demise of the Packers. After Driver's drop, the whole game fell apart.

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Cleft,

In a season like this, you might see a placekicker or any kicker for that matter become the MVP of your offense or your team. I think that's where the Vikings are right now with Longwell.

Bretsky
10-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Dear Cleft,

Another lost day for the secondary, and some more players running off the field as snaps are about to occur.

Who would be more qualified to coach this secondary. Your peer Bob McGinn or Schottenheimer ?

It seems to me at least McGinn would admit he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and let Washington take over.

Bob Sanders is starting to remind me of a ghost named Slovik. Do you see any resmemblences ? Is he in over his head ?

How would you rate his adjustments made after halftime to counter Andy Reid's offensive adjustments ?

the_idle_threat
10-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Cleffty,

I didn't see much of the second half because I was too busy chugging beers, and later, whiskey. Did I miss anything positive at all in the 2nd half, or was it a complete wash?

Cleft Crusty
10-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Dear Cleft,

Another lost day for the secondary, and some more players running off the field as snaps are about to occur.

Who would be more qualified to coach this secondary. Your peer Bob McGinn or Schottenheimer ?

It seems to me at least McGinn would admit he doesn't know what the hell he's doing and let Washington take over.

Bob Sanders is starting to remind me of a ghost named Slovik. Do you see any resmemblences ? Is he in over his head ?

How would you rate his adjustments made after halftime to counter Andy Reid's offensive adjustments ?

There were some positives from the defense. They got four sacks, they contained McNabb for much of the game. They just gave up too many big plays. I'll say it again - I don't understand why the coaches (or Collins, if he's the guy making the error) wouldn't want to give Carroll more help. They left him on an island. Also, the Packers played a lot of man and whenthey incresed the the number of blitzers, they left no one back. On one huge first down run by McNabb, all three LBs blitzed from the same side, leaving no one back to prevent the run. Philly also went to a "Touchdown or checkdown" offense where they would throw deep or dump it off. What surprised me is that they didn't go to it sooner.

BTW, Bob McGinn doesn't profess to be a coach. He has a lot of respect for coaches, but not for Matt Millen. Most coaches work their butts off all year, even if it's fruitless work, like it apparently is for Shottenheimer. Also, I write better than McGinn.

Cleft Crusty
10-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Cleffty,

I didn't see much of the second half because I was too busy chugging beers, and later, whiskey. Did I miss anything positive at all in the 2nd half, or was it a complete wash?

Scott Wells was mostly flawles snapping the ball. I also missed a stretch, when I was out taking napricin for my lumbago.

Bretsky
10-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Cleff,

I'm going to next week's game. The Rams have Bulger, Holt, Bruce, and well, does it even matter who else ?

I'm not sure the Packers secondary could cover Bud Lea, Fuzzy Thurston, and Jerry Kramer right now.

Should I begin drinking early morning so I'm so out of it I'm unable to pay attention to the game, or should I start a post game binge so I don't have to deal with the disappointment ?

Bretsky
10-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Cleff,

Did Andy Reid and staff show the GB staff how to make halftime adjustments today ?

It seemed that GB came out with an effective game plan, and in the second half they were a different team and unable to make any effective adjustments. Plz comment.

FavreChild
10-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Dear Cleft,

Should Bretsky be able to ask two consecutive questions (especially when one is redundant to mine)? :wink:

Nevermind whether Bretsky should drink next weekend - is he drunk now? :cool:

Cleft Crusty
10-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Cleff,

I'm going to next week's game. The Rams have Bulger, Holt, Bruce, and well, does it even matter who else ?

I'm not sure the Packers secondary could cover Bud Lea, Fuzzy Thurston, and Jerry Kramer right now.

Should I begin drinking early morning so I'm so out of it I'm unable to pay attention to the game, or should I start a post game binge so I don't have to deal with the disappointment ?

I'd go with the post-game binge. That's what I do after answering these questions. It also kills the pain in my hip replacement. I should have spent the extra money on the ceramic one.

It's hard to tell whether the defense is giving up big plays because of scheme, individual errors, or both. Carroll played his worst football, but the Packers called man coverage a lot - presumeably to allow for more pass rush. Nothing worked in the stretch of 11 minuites where the game got out of hand.

Cleft Crusty
10-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Cleff,

Did Andy Reid and staff show the GB staff how to make halftime adjustments today ?

It seemed that GB came out with an effective game plan, and in the second half they were a different team and unable to make any effective adjustments. Plz comment.

On the go ahead FG drive, the Eagles gave the Packers a steady diet of run, which seemed to surprise the Packers. Then thye came back with deep throws. Green Bay also seemed to take more chances with blitzing and man coverage. Their man coverage was obliterated.

Cleft Crusty
10-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Dear Cleft,

Should Bretsky be able to ask two consecutive questions (especially when one is redundant to mine)? :wink:

Nevermind whether Bretsky should drink next weekend - is he drunk now? :cool:

If there were more questions I could ignore the bad and comment on the good. For the record, I just assume everyone who submits a question is drunk. Certainly the quality of typing leads one to believe that.

Fosco33
10-03-2006, 12:21 AM

I just have the initial report - that he suffered a minor concussion. It appeared to me that the initial hit was on his tricep of his throwing arm and possible on the ribcage. The blow came from underneath, so there could be some shoulder damage there. He also twisted his neck hitting clifton on the way down. But the real question is this: Why was he still in the game at 31-9. Reminds me of the time Lynn Dickey was seriously injured in a blowout loss, just because Bart Starr had too much pride to pull him. I didn't think McCarthy had as much of his ego tied up into meaningless points at the end of a blowout, but perhaps he's as big a fool as Starr was.

No offense, but you're a hypocrite. When they were getting trounced by the Bears, many of us said M3 was crazy for leaving Brett in there - and you recanted that a QB shouldn't be pulled. Well, which is it?

Cleft Crusty
10-03-2006, 12:34 AM

No offense, but you're a hypocrite. When they were getting trounced by the Bears, many of us said M3 was crazy for leaving Brett in there - and you recanted that a QB shouldn't be pulled. Well, which is it?

I don't recall the question, but the principle is that you don't leave your QB in to let him get killed by a pass rush from a defense with it's ears pinned back late in the game. There are circumstances in which you might leave him in. In a rivalry game, in your first game as coach, the first game of the season, and needing to establish something, you might leave him in to just get more reps, to allow the young offense to get more experience with your starting QB, even if you're handing off the ball.

No offense, but really, what the hell do you know about it? I like how all you know nothing fans come on here trying to tell an NFL coach how he should run his team. What experience do you have running an NFL offense, or making sure a group of players get and remain cohesive. I bet you haven't even led a group in anything more significant than a trip to the john to puke.

Good Night!

Fosco33
10-03-2006, 12:40 AM

I don't recall the question, but the principle is that you don't leave your QB in to let him get killed by a pass rush from a defense with it's ears pinned back late in the game. There are circumstances in which you might leave him in. In a rivalry game, in your first game as coach, the first game of the season, and needing to establish something, you might leave him in to just get more reps, to allow the young offense to get more experience with your starting QB, even if you're handing off the ball.

No offense, but really, what the hell do you know about it? I like how all you know nothing fans come on here trying to tell an NFL coach how he should run his team. What experience do you have running an NFL offense, or making sure a group of players get and remain cohesive. I bet you haven't even led a group in anything more significant than a trip to the john to puke.

Good Night!

Ohh, someone's panties are in a bunch.

I find it funny that you contradict yourself then back it up w/ irrational points and resort to insults. I know enough that when a game is over - on either end of a blowout - that a young team needs to get reps for the backup and future of the team.

:razz:

BTW, this no nothing fan has made many bold, correct predictions on this forum and is leading a spread pool and near the top in this forum's pickem league.

You do not no me.

mraynrand
10-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Fosco,

I hope you understand that Crusty is a persona and are having fun with it. I definitely wouldn't take it too seriously.

Zool
10-03-2006, 07:47 AM

Good Night!

BAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fosco33
10-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Fosco,

I hope you understand that Crusty is a persona and are having fun with it. I definitely wouldn't take it too seriously.

I am having fun with it. - if we're gonna make fun of an old crumbegeon beat writer from the state's largest metro paper - we need to base it off of football knowledge. That, at least, should be consistent.

Think of me as the prick fan that got one right and doesn't know when to shut up. :lol:

pbmax
10-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I'd go with the post-game binge. That's what I do after answering these questions. It also kills the pain in my hip replacement. I should have spent the extra money on the ceramic one.
Marvelous, I will be laughing at this one all day :lol:

Here's a blurb for the must be published book of Cleft Crusty chats:

"Quickly becoming my favorite feature of the site. That guy really knows the pain of hip replacement."
--Cliff Christl

Terry
10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Cleft, any pregame predictions!?!?!
I believe Cleft prefers postgame predictions. Did you see his blog on Friday? He was brilliant at predicting events in the previous Sunday's game.

Terry
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
That's the kind of play that can kill the spirit of a young team. Philadelphia didn't even have to guess at what was coming, because McCarthy was so stubborn you knew he wasn't going to let Rodgers throw it. A reasonable coach would have at least called a throw on one down.

Hear, hear! That was a brilliant observation, Cleft, one that very few have made. I made it myself, but no one was around at the time to hear it. Cleft I want you to know I love your stuff. I read your Q & A every week, just before I go to sleep. It helps me sleep. Your quips are fantastic, they keep the coffee just running out of my nose. I'm a big fan. I love the way you can slaughter people. Lord Ha-Ha might have had a really successful career if he'd had the opportunity to study your stuff. I just have one question: I heard someone mention that Bob McGinn was a peer of your's. Do you think he's your peer? Or do you think they meant colleague but have problems with speaking English? Keep up the good work and good luck with the hip.

A.Fan,
Oconomowoc.