PDA

View Full Version : Merrill Hoge on Brett, Hawk and Rogers

KYPack
04-19-2006, 05:30 PM
A local Sports Talk guy interviewed Merrill Hoge, who's based here locally. Hoge was mainly interviewed about the Bengals, Steelers, and the draft. The show switched to some topics of interest to Pack fans.

Hoge was looking at tape of AJ Hawk when the interviewer called. In general, Hoge loves Hawk and thinks he will be a solid pro LB. Hawk is a leader and plays the run as well as any LB in recent years. Hoge was very impressed with Hawk's ability on the blitz. College blitz schemes are far more rudimentary then the Pro Blitzes, but Hawk has the instincts and skills necessary to be an outstanding blitzer. Hoge thinks that there is a big chance that Hawk will go to the Pack, and that Hawk would play the Buck LB for GB, rather than the Mike. Asked if Hawk has any downside, Hoge said his pass coverage needed a lot of work, like most young LB's.

Asked about Brett's situation with the Pack, Hoge said that he feels there is a "back room understanding" that Brett will be back, The interviewer asked why Hoge thought this. Hoge replied that the word throught the league (from scouts and knowlegeable people)is that ARod just isn't starting material in the NFL. He is so far away from being a starter that the Pack would take Brett back two weeks before the opener, if that's how long 4 wanted to wait.

It's just another opinion, but I feel Merrill is one of the better NFL analysts and this is some valid info.

Charles Woodson
04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Asked about Brett's situation with the Pack, Hoge said that he feels there is a "back room understanding" that Brett will be back, The interviewer asked why Hoge thought this. Hoge replied that the word throught the league (from scouts and knowlegeable people)is that ARod just isn't starting material in the NFL. He is so far away from being a starter that the Pack would take Brett back two weeks before the opener, if that's how long 4 wanted to wait.

I think he'll be back. Im hoping that they use this as a decoy, incase they wana move down. if he hasnt decided by the draft maybe it will look like they might take a QB. If a team behind us needs one, maybe they will trade up and have to add something extra.

hurleyfan
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
The date for the roster bonus has been moved to July, so I don't think we'll know Favres' decision before the draft.. TT & M2 may know, but we won't!

How does that play into the draft decision?!?!

gbpackfan
04-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Listen, don't take what Hoge says about A-Rod as fact! You find so many conflicting reports about A-Rod and young quarterbacks. Another so called football expert says the following when asked about A-Rod:

JerseyCheese: Thanks for being here! The QB situation has been brought up a lot. Do you think the Packer organization knows Favre is coming back but is waiting til after the draft so the 5th pick is more valuable? If not, do you honestly think the Packers could pick a QB two years in a row and pick Leinart, Young, or Cutler with the 5th?

Drew_Boylhart.Huddle_Report: I don't think the new coach of the Packers should care if Favre is coming back or not. He has to move on with the players he's got. If Favre comes back, then he'll move on with Favre. I don't understand why everyone thinks Aaron Rodgers is not a good QB...Rodgers fits the packers offense like a glove. he will be an excellent QB and the Packers do not need to draft a QB this year.

Just because Hoge works for ESPN doesn't mean he is any more credible then Drew Boylhart. In fact, one could argue that he is less credible. :lol:

If you have already sworn off A-Rod and are telling everyone you know that he sucks, then you're an idiot. I'm not saying that he will be the next great thing, but at this point, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS! Last season he was a rookie and saw very little action. One would expect a rookie to be in over his head during his first season. Give him time!

I think it is hard for any Packer fan to accept a new QB. And unfortunatelly, A-Rod may always suck to some people because he is not Brett!

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 11:16 PM
I haven't sworn off A-Rod, but I've pretty much sworn off ESPN.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
I haven't sworn off A-Rod, but I've pretty much sworn off ESPN.

Nobody is swearing off AROD. Coaches will continue to hype him in practice and their hyping means no more than the ESPN guys. So we can only go off of what we've seen so far. The jury is out.

ND72
04-19-2006, 11:23 PM
I personally can't stand Merrill Hodge.

HarveyWallbangers
I personally can't stand Merrill Hodge.

I agree. Too many concussions. He's barely coherent at times.

Partial
I see it in a-rod. I saw it the moment he called out Walker. I don't think he'll be a Manning ever, but he has what it takes to be a leader and be successful with a good cast.

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2006, 11:40 PM
ARod just isn't starting material in the NFL. He is so far away from being a starter that the Pack would take Brett back two weeks before the opener, if that's how long 4 wanted to wait.

Well, both of these statements may be true, but they don't indicate that Favre is coming back.

gbpackfan
04-20-2006, 02:55 AM
I believe that A-Rod is a LEADER. He isnt affraid to speak his mind but thinks before he opens his mouth. I am ALWAYS impressed when I hear an A-Rod interview. I like his leadership skills A LOT.

swede
04-20-2006, 07:35 AM
I believe that A-Rod is a LEADER. He isnt affraid to speak his mind but thinks before he opens his mouth. I am ALWAYS impressed when I hear an A-Rod interview. I like his leadership skills A LOT.

How is your calling A-Rod a leader okay but then my calling him an unproven question mark who has not done anything in practice or in games is not okay.

Last year was a bad year to pick the SUCK-cessor. THis would have been a great year to pick Brett's replacement.

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Hindsight...

KYPack
04-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, a few interesting comments.

Let me say I'm a fan of Merrill Hodge. Such a great fan, I don't know how to spell the guy's name.

I don't consider Hodgy to be a member of ESPN's "evil cabal", lke John Clayton, and those other goofs that make sensationalistic statements just to hype their network.

Merrill and Jaworski love the NFL and work at being knowlegable. These guys watch film and talk to people. As to the assertion that Merrill is punchy and unintelligable, I said Hodge, not Salsbury. I have respect for Merrill's opinions because he works at getting information before he makes statements.

The ARod opinions were based on input from other scouts that think the boy won't make it. I think there is some validity to these opinions, the jury is out on Rodgers and he has a LONG way to go before he becomes an effective QB.

Hodge's statements that the Pack will give Brett all the leeway thay can because with Rodgers they don't have an alternative sound about right to me.

I think Brett will be back (at his own pace & timetable).

I also think that Rodgers won't make it as an NFL QB. I could well be wrong, but i have serious reservations about AR and his skills.

Bretsky
04-20-2006, 09:38 PM

How is your calling A-Rod a leader okay but then my calling him an unproven question mark who has not done anything in practice or in games is not okay.

Last year was a bad year to pick the SUCK-cessor. THis would have been a great year to pick Brett's replacement.

GREAT POINTS Swede.

Just think if TT had drafted Odell Thurman last year and we're sitting here at #5-#7.

We'd all be so hyped about the possibility of seeing Vince Young in Green n Gold for many years to come !!!

Anti-Polar Bear
04-20-2006, 10:27 PM
How do we know A-Rod has an A-rod? For all we know, he could've a D-Rod. I guess the only person or persons who truly know for sure is Rodgers himself and Ted Thompson.

:roll: