PDA

View Full Version : Here's the thing about this team..

BF4MVP
10-02-2006, 11:14 PM
They can hang tough just long enough to tease you into thinking they have a chance, and then there's another dropped pass, another fumble, another interception, and Kurt Schottenheimer's "secondary" gives up more huge, momentum swinging plays.

From my observation, with the parity in the NFL, most games will be close for awhile. But, what separates the good teams from the bad teams is the good teams find ways to win, and the bad teams find ways to lose. Right now, the Packers are a bad team. No ifs ands or buts about it. Hell, they almost found a way to blow the Lions game for Christ's sake. How much different would the score have been if Donald Driver didn't have that momentum-swinging drop? If Ahmad Carroll wouldn't have been beaten on those long plays? If that ball hadn't bounced off Vernand Morency's fingertips and right into the hands of the Philadelphia defensive lineman?

McNabb stepped up in the second half and torched our secondary, and our offense continued to make the stupid mistakes that have plagued them this whole season. Like I said before, good teams find a way to win, and bad teams find a way to lose. Philadelphia is a good team, and Green Bay is a bad team. That's just the way it is, and I can't say I've seen anything so far (unless you count the nice win over the Lions that they almost blew) to make me think it's going to change anytime soon.

Partial
10-02-2006, 11:16 PM
They can hang tough just long enough to tease you into thinking they have a chance, and then there's another dropped pass, another fumble, another interception, and Kurt Schottenheimer's "secondary" gives up more huge, momentum swinging plays.

From my observation, with the parity in the NFL, most games will be close for awhile. But, what separates the good teams from the bad teams is the good teams find ways to win, and the bad teams find ways to lose. Right now, the Packers are a bad team. No ifs ands or buts about it. Hell, they almost found a way to blow the Lions game for Christ's sake. How much different would the score have been if Donald Driver didn't have that momentum-swinging drop? If Ahmad Carroll wouldn't have been beaten on those long plays? If that ball hadn't bounced off Vernand Morency's fingertips and right into the hands of the Philadelphia defensive lineman?

McNabb stepped up in the second half and torched our secondary, and our offense continued to make the stupid mistakes that have plagued them this whole season. Like I said before, good teams find a way to win, and bad teams find a way to lose. Philadelphia is a good team, and Green Bay is a bad team. That's just the way it is, and I can't say I've seen anything so far (unless you count the nice win over the Lions that they almost blew) to make me think it's going to change anytime soon.

I agree, the problem is rarely are those things one player away from being corrected.

Tonight was really eye-opening in the sense that we had the momentum the entire first half and hung tough. We bent but didn't break. I have a big time hunch that 3 CB and 1 safety may not be Packers after this year, and I have a hunch we'll be seeing Kampman, Jenkins, and Pickett as our starting DLmen in a 3-4 defense.

Chubbyhubby
10-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Calvin Johnson looks promising about now.

FavreChild
10-03-2006, 12:13 AM
I hate to pin it on the secondary - although they suck, I grant you....

Packers could have capitalized on Eagles mistakes in the first half, completely changing their offensive game plan.

The classic "tale of two halves." The better team adapted, the better team prevailed.

The Packers couldn't have had a first quarter more gift wrapped on a silver platter (to mix metaphors). To not seize the opportunity, to not capitalize on that advantage....shame on us.

mmmdk
10-03-2006, 03:09 AM
Bad teams always find ways to lose...the good thing is that the Pack only stunk up the place for 2 quaters, yet those 2 quaters were embarrassing. Truely embarrassing.

SkinBasket
10-03-2006, 06:54 AM

Packers could have capitalized on Eagles mistakes in the first half, completely changing their offensive game plan.

That's when you knew things weren't going to be pretty in the second half. When they "could" have capitalized and didn't against a superior team on the road.

Anyone else ever get the feeling our offense this season looks like someone attacking a mountain with a hammer? Consistant, effective on a small scale, and utterly ineffective considering the task at hand.

Rastak
10-03-2006, 06:58 AM

That's when you knew things weren't going to be pretty in the second half. When they "could" have capitalized and didn't against a superior team on the road.

Anyone else ever get the feeling our offense this season looks like someone attacking a mountain with a hammer? Consistant, effective on a small scale, and utterly ineffective considering the task at hand.

I think they look good but of course I watch the Vikings offense every week..... :sad:

run pMc
10-03-2006, 08:17 AM
I think the offense is improved over last year.
I think the defense has regressed.

I remember thinking that PHI had to be feeling pretty good about only being down 9-7 at the half given all their screw-ups.

Partial
10-03-2006, 11:38 AM

Thats what happens without a consistent running game. They need to stop throwing the ball 30 times a half.

ahaha
10-03-2006, 11:52 AM
The Packers are a team desperately in need of a playmaker on defense. They especially need a guy on the line who can be distruptive consistently. They also need to plug some holes in the secondary. DB's have to be more consistent. All these big plays are ridiculous.

pbmax
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
The team looks just like last year, except secondary coverage is worse (or being tested more often) and run D is better.

If they are careful and controlled they can move the ball. But give them an incomplete 1st down pass, a second down stuffed run or a penalty and they are done.

Christl, or Crusty, mentions this all the time. They are barely good enough, that with a near flawless performance, they can stay even.

But if they make normal errors in the game (turnover, penalties) they struggle mightily.

So if they aren't able to overcome their own mistakes then, by default, they aren't good enough to regularly beat a good opponent.

pittstang5
10-03-2006, 02:30 PM
The team looks just like last year, except secondary coverage is worse (or being tested more often) and run D is better.

If they are careful and controlled they can move the ball. But give them an incomplete 1st down pass, a second down stuffed run or a penalty and they are done.

Christl, or Crusty, mentions this all the time. They are barely good enough, that with a near flawless performance they can compete.

But if they make normal errors in the game (turnover, penalties) they struggle to overcome.

They are barely good enough to overcome their own mistakes and therefore not good enough to overcome a superior opponent.

pbmax......You are correct, sir! (in the voice of Ed McMahon)

I figured the Packers would have to play perfect in order to at least have a chance in staying in this game. When they didn't (Favre's Ints), I knew the game was over. Actually, I knew it was over when the score was 17 - 9. The momentum had shifted and the Eagles defense was just feeding off the crowd.