PDA

View Full Version : Studs, Duds, and Elmer Fudds

KYPack
10-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Nutz is in the can, or rehab, or something. Thought I’d out out a post of my impressions of the game until Nutz gets work release or passes a urinalysis, er something. Feel free to add your comments, flame it, or savagely edit anything you want, I don’t care.

Studs

Pickett - Showed me a lot of ability and toughness. He played hard and shoved guys around. He’s a gritty sucker and gives top effort. Quite probably, Thompson’s top vet FA signing to date

LB’s - Barnett and Hawk are first class players. I hope Nick’s situation with his contract works out, he is a great MLB. Wist, bring it, pal. There is no debate, NB is for real and one of our better players. AJ? This kid is a ruby, he has developed by leaps and bounds. He started the year as a raw kid LB. He’s studied, worked and lifted. He’ll finish as a tough Pro. A Pro Bowl player for sure the only question is when

Chad Clifton - Seemed mobile and played with confidence. I think he’s getting healthy for a change. In the early series, he set up in a two point stance in pass pro. He did well against some good players and it helped him get loose. This guy is a real good pass protector when right & he played quite well. (He still had trouble on them backside seals, but I don’t think he’ll be any good at that stuff for awhile) Didn’t have a false start fer a change, too.

Scott Wells & the interior line. - These kids are busting it. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Spitz at RG, Moll at LG (the team wants Colledge in there, but wadda they know?). Colledge backs up at both guards and LT. We get another guy to back-up at C, and a back-up RT and we got an O-Line for awhile. I love Scotty Wells. You may beat him, but he’s back at ya like a buzz saw. At the end of game, he’s got no skin on his knees, but plenty under his fingernails. He plays til the gun and is a bad little ass.

Rayner - 3 of 4 field goals, one of ‘em for 54 yards on the road? We got a field goal kicker & when Ryan gets consistent, a decent punter. That’s a real good thing. I wanted Cundiff (more exp.) & I was dead wrong. This kid is the real deal.

WR’s Tough, resilient, fast, quick, probably one of the best units on the team. Both guys are great wr’s and one of the bright spots on the team. HEY MM, QUIT RUNNIN’ THEM SLANTS. Especially that transition slant thru the seam to the safety (AKA a hospital pass). That shit ends careers. Run digs, shakes, curls and some sluggo’s before you turn these poor bastards into quadriplegics!

QB He’s a screw-up, a crazy boy, and he’ll never grow up, just like Peter Pan. He’s a Hall of Famer, one of the greatest QB’s ever to lace ‘em up. He plays ‘til the end and has the mentality of a coaches son, which is what he is. A gamer’s gamer, he’s tougher than a Waffle House Steak. I love the guy and hope he gives us one more year

Duds

Ahmad Carroll. - This guy is insane, goofy, a fool or all three. Please get rid of him for my sake. I don’t want to repeat the legacy of my uncle who once fired a vase at the TV screen (he missed). Did you see the first play he was in on? When they showed the iso of his cover HE HAD HIS HANDS ON THE GUY THE WHOLE ROUTE!. I mean, Ahmad, they know, man. They are watching you. I think the only reason they didn’t flag the guy is they are sick of penalizing him. After this hideous, horrid game, we must make some kind of change here.

Ferguson - Let’s nail all the whipping boys in the same post. The Ferg pick didn’t work. We should of signed Chambers. Hell, we shudda signed Marilyn Chambers. I hate the very sight of this guy. He has adopted a new schtick. When he makes a bad play, he’s hurt. His elbow one play, his knee or hip the next. Then a few minutes later, he’s out running around. Until he catches a kick-off, or is running a pass route. Then he moves like an ore barge. Cut this guy and sign Corey or one of the kids off the practice squad. I see he thinks his foot is broken. Put this sumbitch on the lifetime IR.

Brady Poppinga. I’m not gonna flame the hell out of Pop. He played a little better, and they went to the nickel more for him. He’s just in over his head. He had run trouble, however. He got shoved around by backs, wasn’t much against the run He’s gonna make his $ as a run stuffer, he better improve his shed technique.

Elmer Fudds

Schotty Poo. - Ya gotta coach up that secondary, pal or it’s back to begging yer brother(s) for a gig again. They played well in the first half, but then in the 2nd half, we had one of those moments like a TV show… “Lost”. At least once a game, somebody from the opposition runs totally open for a score. So open, it’s tough to figure out who had him or what scheme we were in. It’s not working, get rid of KS

The TE’s - I dunno if it’s bad play or stupidity, but this group is…ponderous. They move around like dinosaurs or something. Has anybody had the feeling that Brett will hit a TE in the seam for a quick score this year? Hell no, we are happy to get a completion for a gain. Bubba is huge, but it ain’t like he’s a devastating run blocker or something. He’s just big and slow. Get rid of everybody except Bub (contract) and get some guys that can run the field a little bit.

My final Fudd is really a moment. - End of 3rd quarter, Brett looks to the flat. He’s got the back open for what would be the gain of about an inch. But, he’s also got David Martin running a deep seam (see above) and he’s open. But it’s too late to throw it, the safety will pick it if it hangs up for any time. The gunslinger throws it right to Lewis, the Eagle safety playing quarters. Brett goes to the side, right by M3. M3 is pissed. Late, middle earned Brett like 15 of the 29 picks last year. They worked on this shit since April. This year, it was no late, middle. that was the mantra. And he did it again. Brett say something to MM and he barks at Brett, And walks away, pissed. Brett looks away. When MM is gone, Brett rolls his eyes, just like he probably did when Irv caught him doing something stupid as a kid.

It was a priceless moment.

prsnfoto
10-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Donald Duck Driver should be in your duds section dropped two TDs last night who would of thought by week four our best WR would be a rookie.
I liked Brett's reaction also he should have got in MM's face and said " could you give me one fucking person besides a rookie to hold on to a football there have been 20 drops in two weeks, could you cut Carroll please I think Tauscher can play better at corner!"

MJZiggy
10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Where does Morency fit on your list, KY? He actually gained yardage, but probably caused 14 Eagle points with turnovers. :neutral:

Patler
10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
I liked Brett's reaction also he should have got in MM's face and said " could you give me one fucking person besides a rookie to hold on to a football there have been 20 drops in two weeks, could you cut Carroll please I think Tauscher can play better at corner!"

Why, because Favre is faultless? He was just as "off" last night as Driver. He missed a few open receivers, and the interception down the middle.....well!

For this team to win, a bunch of players, including Favre and Driver, have to be nearly flawless in their performances. If one is off, it will be difficult to be competitive. If two or more are off it will be impossible. They don't have enough other performers to overcome it.

KYPack
10-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Donald Duck Driver should be in your duds section dropped two TDs last night who would of thought by week four our best WR would be a rookie.

I was going to disagree with you in another thread, but you came into mine, here goes.

On that slant, Don dropped the ball. Let it get in on his body. Favre's ball tends to get into your body quickly. After the miss he was pissed and made catches after that. How you can say that slant would've been six is beyond me.

The other play was a tough catch, and Don actually said it was a "drop". He was showing his usual candor and willingness to face up to a tough situation.

You wanna blame DD for our trouble? I think you'd be better off going over to Lambeau and yelling at the statues of Curly and Vince.

They've been slacking off lately, too.

Bossman641
10-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I certainly wouldn't classify Favre as a stud last night. There were a few drops, but Favre was off on many of his passes, especially the deep ball.

I'm not sure why Favre gets praised for rolling his eyes at MM?? That INT down the middle was a boneheaded throw that was just waiting to get picked.

KYPack
10-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Where does Morency fit on your list, KY? He actually gained yardage, but probably caused 14 Eagle points with turnovers. :neutral:

Yeah, right.

He was kind of a "c" student with a bad grade in conduct or something. He played hard, showed some flashes. He made a couple blitz pick-ups that were OK, missed another that flushed 4, in addition to the problems you name. He's got some skills. I could see he knew the ZBS, but I don't know if he's better than Samkon.

I think he will stick this season, long term he makes a hazy impression on me.

I was gonna get into this at a later date, but I think we need both a top pick and a big FA at RB this off-season. With Green out, it's a thin position on a talent thin team.

KYPack
10-03-2006, 10:36 AM
I certainly wouldn't classify Favre as a stud last night. There were a few drops, but Favre was off on many of his passes, especially the deep ball.

I'm not sure why Favre gets praised for rolling his eyes at MM?? That INT down the middle was a boneheaded throw that was just waiting to get picked.

No shit.

That's what the commentary said.

Twasn't praise me boy.

It was a commentary on a 37 yr old man who still can act like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Bossman641
10-03-2006, 10:38 AM
I actually thought Morency had a pretty good game. He sure has some explosion through the hole. I'd say he looks much better than Gado did.

I wanted him to get more carries in the first half and thought McCarthy should have stuck with the run a little longer. of course, it's hard to go back to a guy after he fumbles inside the 10.

Bottom line: I'd give him a C because of the turnovers but I like his potential.

Bossman641
10-03-2006, 10:40 AM

No shit.

Twasn't praise me boy.

It was a commentary on a 37 yr old man who still can act like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

I was referring to prsnfoto saying that he "liked" Favre's reaction because that was the farthest thing from my mind at the time.

prsnfoto
10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
On that slant, Don dropped the ball. Let it get in on his body. Favre's ball tends to get into your body quickly. After the miss he was pissed and made catches after that. How you can say that slant would've been six is beyond me.

If you watch the replay he drops it at the 22 yardline the safety and corner are converging DD goes right through them and drops the rock as long as you are bringing up statues who is going to catch in 20 yards Rocky Balboa?

The other play was a tough catch, and Don actually said it was a "drop". He was showing his usual candor and willingness to face up to a tough situation.

It was a drop he got the big bucks catch the ball DD is right as he should say it is a drop.

I agreed with 90% of what you said just the WR as a unit weren't studs Jennings was and Brett did make some bad throws tonight ever QB does but you can't have 8-10 drops ever game those are TD opportunities, 3rd down conversions and field position changes DD has had two bad games in a row I hope he gets it fixed or the pundits were right he is a good #2 reciever.

KYPack
10-03-2006, 10:44 AM

No shit.

Twasn't praise me boy.

I was referring to prsnfoto saying that he "liked" Favre's reaction because that was the farthest thing from my mind at the time.

OH, OK Bossman.

No Farm,

No Owl.

Tony Oday
10-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Dud: Refs on a critical third down in the first half Jennings got his jersey damn near ripped off of him and no call...

Sparkey
10-03-2006, 11:36 AM
The Oline did a good job of pass protection and seems to be slowly grasping the ZBS scheme and how it functions. Morency looked quick getting too the corner and decisive when choosing his spot and turning up field.

HOWEVER, there is NO EXCUSE for the lines lack of punch at the goal-line at the end of the game. At that point it was a matter of who wanted it more.

Kicking was very good. Rayner missed the second from 50+, looked like the snap and hold was off a bit. Otherwise good kickoffs.

Punting was average at best. Good distance on a few but low hangtime gave the retuners time to pick a lane and force.

Coverage units were poor. Too many players leaving their lane assignments and creating holes for Phillys returnes. Part of this was caused my some low punts.

D-line had some good pressures but disappeared in the second half. Did KGB even play in the 3rd and f4th quarter? Pickett and Kampman played well. Jenkins had some nice pressures but also took himself out of some running plays.

LB's were ok, although there were alot of passes caught in the flat and not a lb too be found for 15 yards. Either a scheme issue or the players don't know their responsibilities in coverage. Did Poppinga play ? He seemed non-existant. The lb's were having a difficult time shedding the blocks from Philly's HUGE O-LINEMEN.

QB play was average at best. Favre was late throwing a post and it was picked. The dump off to Morency was thrown TOO HARD. Damn it, when your rb is only five yards from you YOU JUST CANT FIRE A BULLET. Favre was very poor in long ball accuracy.

RB was solid. The fumble by Morency was on the hand-off, which means it is charged to Favre. It is the QB's job to get the ball into the rb. Otherwise Morency looked good. He seemed too be one tackle away from breaking a long one. This is the first game where the ZBS actually LOOK LIKE A ZBS during the game. I didn't notice any missed blitz pickups by Miree.

WR's made some nice catches but the drops, AGAIN were made in crucial situations. Driver dropped a TD in the 1st, then dropped a 1st down. Jennings looks like he is a player and Franks made some plays in the seams.

Coaching was OK. They offense seemed to be relying completely on short slants and hooks. Philly started sitting on them and nearly picked a few passes. Would have been an ideal time to run some double moves off the same formations. Defensively, the lack of communication in pass coverage is alarming.......Week 4 and the breakdowns are happeneing too often.

All-in-all I give the team a D

An B for the first half, even with some mistakes they played tough and didn't panic and an F for the second half. Its a 60 mintue game fellas!

Tarlam!
10-03-2006, 11:47 AM
....You wanna blame DD for our trouble? I think you'd be better off going over to Lambeau and yelling at the statues of Curly and Vince.

Best comeback phrase I have ever read on a football forum!! This is is going into my sig, with your permission, KY!! B.O.M.N.F.!!!!!!

KYPack
10-03-2006, 12:03 PM
[quote="Sparkey"]HOWEVER, there is NO EXCUSE for the lines lack of punch at the goal-line at the end of the game. At that point it was a matter of who wanted it more.

Kicking was very good. Rayner missed the second from 50+, looked like the snap and hold was off a bit. Otherwise good kickoffs.

Punting was average at best. Good distance on a few but low hangtime gave the retuners time to pick a lane and force.

Coverage units were poor. Too many players leaving their lane assignments and creating holes for Phillys returnes. Part of this was caused my some low punts.

LB's were ok, although there were alot of passes caught in the flat and not a lb too be found for 15 yards. Either a scheme issue or the players don't know their responsibilities in coverage. Did Poppinga play ? He seemed non-existant. The lb's were having a difficult time shedding the blocks from Philly's HUGE O-LINEMEN.

RB was solid. The fumble by Morency was on the hand-off, which means it is charged to Favre. It is the QB's job to get the ball into the rb. Otherwise Morency looked good. He seemed too be one tackle away from breaking a long one. This is the first game where the ZBS actually LOOK LIKE A ZBS during the game. I didn't notice any missed blitz pickups by Miree.

/[quote]

Nice post Spark.

We'll get the Canuck ambassador going here. Ryan is last (or leads the league, however ya wanna look at it) in yds returned per kick. he hits too many liners and then boomers that outkick the coverage. He'll be OK, but he needs to get it together.

We need a SAM. I dunno why we can't find a guy, all the other teams seem to turn somebody up. it's the playmaking WIL's that are hard to find, & we got the best kid in the league.

Hendo looked more than a little miffed that Miree started. Did you know Bill didn't fly up with the team?

RB looked OK.

There were fumbles and that no score at the end was a pain in the ass.

ahaha
10-03-2006, 12:33 PM
I thought the O-line looked good. There seemed to be some nice creases for Morency to run through. And, they didn't allow a sack.

ahaha
10-03-2006, 12:40 PM
The dump off to Morency was thrown TOO HARD. Damn it, when your rb is only five yards from you YOU JUST CANT FIRE A BULLET.

Way too much blame on Favre for this one. It's not like he stepped into it and launched with all his might. Pro football is played at such a high speed. The linebacker was close and Favre had to put a little zip on it. Morency could have EASILY caught that ball. Instead he looks like he's playing volleyball.

KYPack
10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
....You wanna blame DD for our trouble? I think you'd be better off going over to Lambeau and yelling at the statues of Curly and Vince.

Best comeback phrase I have ever read on a football forum!! This is is going into my sig, with your permission, KY!! B.O.M.N.F.!!!!!!

You got it, pal.

Put that beer back yer nose. that's expensive!

mission
10-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Nice thread KY... humorous as well :)

[quote=Sparkey]Hendo looked more than a little miffed that Miree started. Did you know Bill didn't fly up with the team?

I heard this but *swear* I saw Henderson standing behind M3 when they panned over there late in the game. I mean... I was pretty drunk by that point but Im pretty sure he made the trip. FWIW.

MJZiggy
10-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Hendo looked more than a little miffed that Miree started. Did you know Bill didn't fly up with the team?

He did stay in Green Bay (reportedly to do rehab?) but then they decided that was a bad idea and flew him in anyway. I saw him at the end of the game hugging and talking to one of the Eagles. He looked sweaty enough to have played some, but I didn't see him in there so I'm not sure.

KYPack
10-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Nice thread KY... humorous as well :)

[quote=Sparkey]Hendo looked more than a little miffed that Miree started. Did you know Bill didn't fly up with the team?

I heard this but *swear* I saw Henderson standing behind M3 when they panned over there late in the game. I mean... I was pretty drunk by that point but Im pretty sure he made the trip. FWIW.

You and Zig got it, it wasn't clear what iIwrote.

He flew up on a commercial flight.

MM said he wasn't on the flight for "personal reasons" family said as the reason.

When different stories star flying, sometimes guys are about to get cut.

We'll see what we can see.

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
The TE’s - I dunno if it’s bad play or stupidity, but this group is…ponderous. They move around like dinosaurs or something. Has anybody had the feeling that Brett will hit a TE in the seam for a quick score this year? Hell no, we are happy to get a completion for a gain. Bubba is huge, but it ain’t like he’s a devastating run blocker or something. He’s just big and slow. Get rid of everybody except Bub (contract) and get some guys that can run the field a little bit.

Boy, you're right. I was a defender of Bubba last year, he has done nothing by dissappoint since. David Martin, well, guess I insist he can play. At least he can run.

Bubba is a below average tight end. HE is slow, can't catch a pass below his waist.

What happened to what's-his-face, Donald Lee?

Did all the tight ends turn into statues somehow?

MJZiggy
10-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I thought Lee had an injury this week.

MJZiggy
10-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Just watched the press conference and here's the rest of the story. Lee has a knee injury and Henderson when pressed as to whether Henderson's staying home had anything to do with his performance M3 said this:

"No, it was a personal matter with his newborn baby."

(for those who care, it was a girl but I don't know the name)