PDA

View Full Version : Positives:

Partial
10-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Offensive line is really starting to look adequate in pass coverage. I would say their line is playing in the middle of the pack right now, rather than in the bottom third. It is really hard to say whether it is just more experience or if it was in fact Colledge pulling a Ross Verba and solidifying the line.

While they still cannot run block for a lick of beans, Brett isn't running for his life. He has actually had some pretty good time in the pocket to make some things happen.

The run blocking left a lot to be desired. Morency did end the night with 99 yards, but that is not a fair judgement. I would argue approximately 30-40 of those yards came in the 4th quarter when the Eagles were in the dime, and the Packers were just practicing runnigng plays, ala against the Bears.

The sad reality is after 4 games, the Packers haven't come close to putting up 100 legit yards on the ground in a game. For someone so committed to the run in M3, I have only seen him live up to his word in week 1. Brett through the ball 18 times in the first quarter alone last night. While he didn't have 50+ passing attempts, if the offense wasn't as stale as could be in the second half and earned some first downs, he easily would have.

Morency looks like he'll be a damn good two next year. I told you guys that he looks a lot like Tatum Bell since they're the same type of players, and he showed me that last night. I didn't see any excessive dancing last night, but perhaps that is because nothing was open and on several occasions I applauded him for cutting back and trying to create on his own.

In summary, I think the OL and RB situations are starting to look less grim this season. The special teams are terrible but that might be because of our sugar-plum-fairy style players. The defensive line looks good, but the rest of the D looks lost.

I have a hunch at this time next year we'll have an entirely new defensive scheme and coach, and likely be running a 3-4.

ahaha
10-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Morency looks like he'll be a damn good two next year.

Not if he keeps dropping hand-offs and batting balls into the air like a setter looking for a spike.

RashanGary
10-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Nice thread.

There are some nice things to build off. We are finding holes every week and we're finding things that need to be fixed next off season but we're also finding some things that won't need to be touched for a long time.

Hawk
Jennings
Spitz
Moll
Colledge

This is one draft class with 5 guys that look to be good starters. Before it's done, we might get Blackmon, Hodge and Jolly on the field too.

This is the type of draft that when stacked on 1 or 2 more good ones and a good, young starting QB can be the ingredients for good things to come for a long time.

I don't see a lot of positives for this year. WE have too many young guys making mistakes that cost games.

Partial
10-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Nice thread.

There are some nice things to build off. We are finding holes every week and we're finding things that need to be fixed next off season but we're also finding some things that won't need to be touched for a long time.

Hawk
Jennings
Spitz
Moll
Colledge

This is one draft class with 5 guys that look to be good starters. Before it's done, we might get Blackmon, Hodge and Jolly on the field too.

This is the type of draft that when stacked on 1 or 2 more good ones and a good, young starting QB can be the ingredients for good things to come for a long time.

I don't see a lot of positives for this year. WE have too many young guys making mistakes that cost games.

Offensive line has played good pass coverage since Colledge went in. That is a definite and it has also seemed to get better each week. Last night you began to see some running lanes forming.

mission
10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
i dont think hawk can be included as a positive from last night. he looked very pedestrian, very normal and at times i wondered exactly what his assignment was.

... and his wiff on mcnabb looked very much like a defensive back approach. wait for the guy to come to you, get juked and get embarassed. i would have liked to see more attack and more instinct.

hopefully it's just a matter of becoming more comfortable with his assignments. my roommate used to work out with hawk when they were teaching linebacker camp together and he kept talking about how different he looks, plays and runs. what made him great at ohio state was a maniacal approach to the game, a nonstop motor.

id like to see more of that, but all in all, im pleased with his progression. just last night seemed to be bad all around for everyone.

Merlin
10-03-2006, 01:14 PM
I would argue approximately 30-40 of those yards came in the 4th quarter when the Eagles were in the dime, and the Packers were just practicing runnigng plays, ala against the Bears.

I'll take that bet. He rushed for 33 yards in the 4th quarter, true BUT 10 of those yards came when Rodgers went in the game. 18 of those yards were audibled into based on the blitz the Eagles had called. Where is the practice again? Oh yeah, the 10 yards when Rodgers entered the game...

I didn't see any excessive dancing last night, but perhaps that is because nothing was open and on several occasions I applauded him for cutting back and trying to create on his own.

You did watch the game last night right? He had a hole, he hit it. That's what running backs do in the ZBS. They don't dance and the holes aren't

that big, they seldom ever are in the ZBS. Oh wait, the 99 yards weren't legitimate and the offensive line can't "run block for a lick of beans". How silly of me.

I have a hunch at this time next year we'll have an entirely new defensive scheme and coach, and likely be running a 3-4.

So all of the players that we drafted over the years to play specifically in the 4-3 will be gone? I.E. - We aren't even close to having the right personnel to play a 3-4. The Packers have played that in the past and it didn't work for them. About the only change you can count on is the Tampa 2 version of the Cover 2 being worked in.

I can't believe you called me a moron after reading your post...

woodbuck27
10-03-2006, 01:22 PM
"The special teams are terrible but that might be because of our sugar-plum-fairy style players. The defensive line looks good, but the rest of the D looks lost. " Partial

I have to disagree here.

PK Dave Raynar and P Jon Ryan are looking like near Studs now and will get there. These two players were very good for OUR side last night

We can't cover kick's or punts worth a lick though. We are suckin' terrible in that department and need to see improvement in that area of ST's.

Other criticisms:

Our Secondary is a step out still at present and Ahmad Carroll looked worse than just terrible to me. He's looking more now ...like a clear bust as a first round draft pick..a waste.

He's not going to get it !!! Hands... hands... hands and punk ass dirty crap. He makes me sick.

I won't be sorry to see him go if I see much more of that BS. he needs to have Coach Mike Mccarthy to kick his silly ass. He was the worst player on OUR side. USELESS FLESH !!

Al Harris is a step out. It's the Ole proof in the pudding syndrome.

YOU get out what you put in. We are now seeing the effects of Al harris and his selfish choice to omit himself from OUR OTA'a.

He's scrambling and not playing at all cool. Will he catch up ?

Rod Woodson gets a bare pass from me.he is trying i'll say that but not consistent and with all that talent?

The safetys looked invisable to me. Do I need to elaborate?

Ohhhh nice try on the blitzing!! Work on that. :mrgreen:

Ryan Pickett? Uhhhh????

Otherwise I was most impressed with the play of OUR DL.The middle of OUR DL kept the heat on a tough OL and didn't exactly make it easy on a fantastic QB... Donovan McNabb.

What's not to like about "the Chunky Campbell's Soup Boy"? He's so DAM talented.

AJ Hawk..he's trying but he needs to get stronger.

MLB Nick Barnett ... DAM him and his arm tackles. Get the man on the ground... don't tackle like some wusssy !!

The safetys looked invisable to me.

Brett Favre .. .frustrated more... than I've ever observed him. He looks so alone when we are in a hole.

Greg Jennings and DD are great WR's, but Brett needs 1 more second from OUR OL - before he launch's to hit the potential target who needs to get down the sidelined another 10 yards.

Ohhh ! We need a taller WR as well.

Nice to see Bubba make some catch's but he's frustrated too.

Things arn't going all that well in Packer Paradise.

Mike McCarthy. He looks stunned on the sidelines, and as well, so all alone.

The chemistry on the team is bad.

b] FAITH Packer fans.

Patler
10-03-2006, 01:23 PM
The run blocking left a lot to be desired. Morency did end the night with 99 yards, but that is not a fair judgement. I would argue approximately 30-40 of those yards came in the 4th quarter when the Eagles were in the dime, and the Packers were just practicing runnigng plays, ala against the Bears.

The sad reality is after 4 games, the Packers haven't come close to putting up 100 legit yards on the ground in a game.

Then you would be wrong. From the kickoff after the Eagles went up 24-9, with 3:51 left in the 3rd quarter, Morrency had 10 carries for 28 yards. That means when the Packers were within 8 points or less he had 16 carries for 71 yards, a 4.4 yard average. He had 12 carries for 50 yards in the first half, a legitimate 100 yard/game type of effort, which carried into his next 5 carries for around 21 yards in the 3rd.

Partial
10-03-2006, 02:27 PM
I would argue approximately 30-40 of those yards came in the 4th quarter when the Eagles were in the dime, and the Packers were just practicing runnigng plays, ala against the Bears.

I'll take that bet. He rushed for 33 yards in the 4th quarter, true BUT 10 of those yards came when Rodgers went in the game. 18 of those yards were audibled into based on the blitz the Eagles had called. Where is the practice again? Oh yeah, the 10 yards when Rodgers entered the game...

When you're down big you shouldn't be running to begin with. Like against the Bears, his big runs came from the dime. This is a feeble attempt to make yourself feel big because I called you a moron. My apologies for that. Ask yourself this, if we had a running game, where was it the first three quarters?

I didn't see any excessive dancing last night, but perhaps that is because nothing was open and on several occasions I applauded him for cutting back and trying to create on his own.

You did watch the game last night right? He had a hole, he hit it. That's what running backs do in the ZBS. They don't dance and the holes aren't
that big, they seldom ever are in the ZBS. Oh wait, the 99 yards weren't legitimate and the offensive line can't "run block for a lick of beans". How silly of me.

Right, thus me saying I didn't see any excessive dancing. Lets look at it this way, if our offensive line can run block, then where has the commitment to the run been? M3 said he was going to make it a priority to establish the run early. When you down by 3 TDs and running for 40 yards in the 4th quarter, that is NOT establishing the run. Another feeble attempt. BARNETT IS A BETTER LINEBACKER THEN AJ HAWK OMG THE MEGATON WHAT A STOOPID PICK WWTTD?

So all of the players that we drafted over the years to play specifically in the 4-3 will be gone? I.E. - We aren't even close to having the right personnel to play a 3-4. The Packers have played that in the past and it didn't work for them. About the only change you can count on is the Tampa 2 version of the Cover 2 being worked in.

I can't believe you called me a moron after reading your post...

So you mean like Dallas, a 4-3 team that switched to a 3-4 when Parcell's arrived? Or Maybe Baltimore, who went from a 3-4, to a 4-3, to a 46, back to a 4-3? Or what about the Jets, the newest team in the league to run a 3-4 after playing a hybrid system with Donnie Henderson. What about the Texans, who accumlated years of 3-4 players only to switch to a 4-3 this year.

The Packers don't have the talent up front to be concerned about that. The position they are rich with solid players is undersized defensive tackles. I think Jenkins, Williams, Kampman, hell even Cole could make good 3-4 DEs. In fact, most players thought it was going to happen this year. Kampman fully intend to bulk up to 285-290 this offseason. KGB would be an asset rushing from the outside linebacker spot on 3rd downs.

Is it likely to happen? Maybe, maybe not. Is it an outrageous idea given taht half the teams run a 3-4 in the league? Definitely not.

packrulz
10-03-2006, 03:17 PM
I feel Jennings is a big positive, and Fergy is an unsung darkhorse that is very good at blocking, special teams, and sometimes catching the ball. People blame the defense but they are on the field a lot because the offense keeps dropping passes and turning the ball over. MM is throwing a lot at these guys, notice how they'll go from a shotgun to a snap under center to a hurry up offense? Plus, Favre often calls audibles now so it will take awhile for them to get their timing down and move the chains. I was actually happy with the first half.

Tarlam!
10-03-2006, 03:21 PM
People blame the defense but they are on the field a lot because the offense keeps dropping passes and turning the ball over.

Actually, packrulz, I went over the stats of the game this morning and what struck me was that we had the ball 5 minutes longer than Philly.

It probably won't get much better than that, I'm afraid...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20061002_GB@PHI

Harlan Huckleby
10-03-2006, 03:31 PM
I like the new back, Mercury Morris or whoever he is. He's quicker than Ahman Green, altho not as valuable all around.

Ya, offensive line is coming around. I would put it this way: none of the guys seem to be sucking. That is critical, it's a weakest-link proposition.

What else? Poppinga looked fine, I expect he's the starter for the season.

I disagree that Hawk was unimpressive, I saw him running around and past blocks quite a bit.

What are we talking about? Oh ya, positivies..... Packers stuck with a vastly superior team for a half. That was exciting!!!!

Woodson looked damn good.

We don't have to play in Philadelphia for a few years!!!!

packrulz
10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
People blame the defense but they are on the field a lot because the offense keeps dropping passes and turning the ball over.

Actually, packrulz, I went over the stats of the game this morning and what struck me was that we had the ball 5 minutes longer than Philly.

It probably won't get much better than that, I'm afraid...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20061002_GB@PHI

Wow! I guess I didn't know that but it's sort of encouraging in a way. Thanks for the "bitch slap" Tarlem! Just kidding. :lol:

Patler
10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
The positives so far this season are:

Partial
10-03-2006, 03:36 PM

The sad reality is after 4 games, the Packers haven't come close to putting up 100 legit yards on the ground in a game.

Then you would be wrong. From the kickoff after the Eagles went up 24-9, with 3:51 left in the 3rd quarter, Morrency had 10 carries for 28 yards. That means when the Packers were within 8 points or less he had 16 carries for 71 yards, a 4.4 yard average. He had 12 carries for 50 yards in the first half, a legitimate 100 yard/game type of effort, which carried into his next 5 carries for around 21 yards in the 3rd.

Fair enough, perhaps I am wrong. Still, for someone comitting to the run, it is ridiculous to have Favre throw the ball more in the first quarter than he has in any other game ever.

packrulz
10-03-2006, 03:36 PM

Is that you, Wist?

Tarlam!
10-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Wow! I guess I didn't know that but it's sort of encouraging in a way. Thanks for the "bitch slap" Tarlem! Just kidding. :lol:

Rulz, the only reason I looked it up first thing this morning, was because I absolutely believed it also to be true, that our D must have gotton tired in the second half, for being on the field too long.

I was looking for obvious reasons as to what happened! Sorry about that! :lol:

packrulz
10-03-2006, 03:42 PM

Rulz, the only reason I looked it up first thing this morning, was because I absolutely believed it also to be true, that our D must have gotton tired in the second half, for being on the field too long.

I was looking for obvious reasons as to what happened! Sorry about that! :lol:

Nah, no problem. I was thinking the same thing. I still think it's a positive they had the ball that much. If they reduce turnovers, they can win.

Patler
10-03-2006, 04:04 PM

Is that you, Wist?

Just Patler being a wiseguy! I see a few positives:

1. I do feel good about the young linemen. As I wrote in another post, they have a long way to go yet, but I get the feeling there is something there to work with.

2. Jennings

3. Kickers, MAYBE! I'm not sold on either one just yet. I would like to see Rayner be close on misses, rather than hear the announcers say "He missed it!" about the time it clears the line of scrimmage. I like Ryan's leg strength, but will he ever get enough hangtime for fair catches to be routine? He has only 1 in 22 kicks. A couple times last night I held my breath with no coverage guys in sight as the returner caught the ball. Tied for 3rd in gross averag, but 29th in net distance.

FritzDontBlitz
10-03-2006, 04:11 PM
carroll just got cut. check www.packers.com

mission
10-03-2006, 04:13 PM
I disagree that Hawk was unimpressive, I saw him running around and past blocks quite a bit.

"running around and past blocks quite a bit"... that sentence is a bit short. i was expecting something that ended with a big T word.

im a big hawk fan -- always have been -- but we didnt draft him #5 to run around and past blocks. we drafted him to make a shitload of tackles, blow people up and be a playmaker.

im not saying he's not and the last thing i want is to defend some phantom statement of me saying he's a bust. i dont think he is but i also expect more out of him (rookie or not) and want to see that intensity that makes him so special. hell, he didnt even seem that pissed off when they scored right in front of him at the goal line. sure he doesnt get excited about a sack (awww, what a real packer person) but he didnt seem too disappointed when he fucked up either.

who knows, i really dont... hell, i wonder how much of what we've seen thus far is just a product of the system and environment.

maybe some day we'll find out.

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2006, 04:46 PM

Not necessarily.

K-town
10-03-2006, 06:12 PM

Not necessarily.

Next year, I believe it's Philly in Green Bay. Here's my reasoning: last year we played the NFC South. This year, it's the NFC West. Thus in 2007 we HAVE to play the NFC East, including the Iggles. Since we played them in Philly in 2004 (our last go-round with NFC East teams), we should expect to play them at home. Where the home-field advantage is...
Nevermind. :sad:

The Shadow
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Looks like a young, growing team to me.
I don't at all think McCarthy looked 'alone' on the sideline.
He is building/rebuilding a team with inexperienced players & it will take time.
A little patience is required - we are not going to be a contender every year!
Try to enjoy the growth spurts.
All will be well.

Fritz
10-03-2006, 07:24 PM
"I don't see a lot of positives for this year. WE have too many young guys making mistakes that cost games."

I disagree with this statement, Greg. What's frustrating to me is that some of the most crucial mistakes are being made by the veterans. Driver dropped two huge, huge passes. He dropped a touchdown catch early on, and of course the big first down drop where it looked like he could run for about three days. Franks dropping passes, Clifton and Tauscher getting bagged for holding, Al Harris getting nailed for face masking, and on, and on. The rooks aren't necessarily lights out, but I get frustrated that so many of the key mistakes come from the veterans.

I also don't agree with Patler about Ryan. I think that he needs to improve his hang time, yes, but I think his 29th net ranking has as much or more to do with the crappy coverage than with his hang time.

I think TT has found both his kicker and punter. IF they continue to improve. But they've shown some spark. As have the three rookie guards.

I am actually guardedly optimistic. I agree that MM should have run the ball more - I saw Morency gain more yards in the first half and early in the second than I've seen the Pack gain in any other game, but I also like the way Favre is playing. Until they fall way behind, he's being put in a position to make smart plays and move the team.

This is a work in progress. Now, aren't there some crazies up there in northern Wisconsin, the kind of Silence-of-the-Lambs types who could be convinced to lure Schottonheimer into their home and dump him in some root cellar and feed him scraps of leather until the season is over?

Promote Lionel Washington.

Bring back Bates!

HarveyWallbangers
10-03-2006, 08:17 PM
I mostly agree with you, Fritz.

woodbuck27
10-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Other criticisms:

Our Secondary is a step out still at present, and Ahmad Carroll looked worse than just terrible to me. He's looking more now ...like a clear bust as a first round draft pick..a waste.

He's not going to get it !!! Hands... hands... hands and punk ass dirty crap. He makes me sick.

I won't be sorry to see him go if I see much more of that BS. he needs to have Coach Mike Mccarthy to kick his silly ass. He was the worst player on OUR side. USELESS FLESH !!" woodbuck27

Well I just came back on line and this isn't surprising news to me. Enough is enough. Maybe Ahmad Carroll will get it in another Organization? His style of play disgusted me last night.

Packers Release CB Ahmad Carroll

posted 10/03/2006

The Green Bay Packers on Tuesday released cornerback Ahmad Carroll. Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson made the announcement.

Carroll, the Packers' first-round selection in the 2004 NFL Draft, played 34 games in three seasons, starting 28 contests. He had 104 tackles (95 solo), three interceptions, three sacks, 26 passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

Comment woodbuck27:

That is so sad! Nevertheless... he was killing us. :sad:

GO PACK GO ! [b]We will defeat "the RAMS".[/