PDA

View Full Version : FRAUD SOON TO BE 4th STRING ??

Bretsky
10-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Notes: Robinson may move up
He could replace ailing Ferguson
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 3, 2006

In the rare times that Koren Robinson has lined up at wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers, quarterback Brett Favre has not hesitated to throw the ball to him.

Favre might have reason to give it to him even more because a foot injury to receiver Robert Ferguson will move Robinson up in the pecking order.

Ferguson suffered an injury that coach Mike McCarthy said was severe enough that it would make him doubtful for the game Sunday against St. Louis. McCarthy said there was no fracture in the foot as Ferguson feared after the game against Philadelphia Monday night, but gave no other details.

Robinson caught two passes Monday, one from Favre and one from backup Aaron Rodgers, for gains of 12 and 11 yards. In the Detroit game, he caught a 24-yard pass from Favre on his first play from scrimmage with the Packers.

Ferguson has been serving as the No. 3 receiver behind Donald Driver and rookie Greg Jennings, and though McCarthy didn't speak to it Tuesday, it's logical that Robinson would move into Ferguson's spot. Ruvell Martin is another option but Martin was inactive against the Eagles.

One hurdle Robinson has to pass is a court date today in Kirkland, Wash. It is a probation hearing related to Robinson's arrest for driving under the influence in May 2005. Because of another arrest in Mankato, Minn., involving drinking and driving, a judge could revoke Robinson's parole and force him to serve jail time.

Robinson is scheduled to appear in front of the judge and isn't expected at practice. It's possible the probation hearing will be delayed until the most recent case comes to a conclusion, but the judge will determine what action to take

Injury report
In addition to Ferguson, the Packers suffered some other significant injuries.

Backup linebacker Abdul Hodge hurt his knee, Driver hurt his ribs and a hip, tight end Donald Lee hurt his knee, linebacker Ben Taylor injured a hamstring and Favre suffered a slight head injury and neck stinger

Hodge will be listed as doubtful, Driver, Lee and Taylor as questionable and Favre is expected to be fine. McCarthy said he didn't expect Favre to miss any practice time.

Running tab
Vernand Morency's fumble deep in Packers' territory might have gotten him benched had he not injected some life into the running game.

Morency coughed up the ball at the Packers' 6 on a handoff in the second quarter. The fumble was officially charged to Favre but Morency was at fault. He saw an opening and reacted to it before securing the ball.

"He got a little excited and reached for the football," McCarthy said.

Asked about his overall performance, which consisted of 99 yards rushing in 26 carries and six receptions for 19 yards (one drop), McCarthy said:

"I thought he did good job, took advantage of his opportunity. He made good reads in the run game, in his decisions. The only negative was the fumble.

"He had an opportunity to have a 100-yard plus game and he was close. For his first time out of the gate handling the load — he touched the ball 30-plus times — I thought he did a nice job."

McCarthy did not have an update on injured running back Ahman Green's status this week. Green has two tender hamstrings.

Short shrift
The Packers were overmatched enough against the Eagles that they didn't need to make it any tougher on themselves.

But they did.

Twice they lined up on defense with just 10 men on the field.

On one of them, safety Tyrone Culver was summoned to the sideline and either knew better not to leave or simply followed orders. The result was a wide-open tight end L.J. Smith, who scampered 21 yards to the Packers' 4.

"(There were) problems with the no huddle, which is why a lot of people do that, switch personnel groups," McCarthy said. "Culver went on, which was the appropriate personnel group, but the communication for him to come back off was inaccurate, so that's what he did. We were going to our '47' group and that was a miscommunication there."

ahaha
10-04-2006, 01:45 AM

On one of them, safety Tyrone Culver was summoned to the sideline and either knew better not to leave or simply followed orders. The result was a wide-open tight end L.J. Smith, who scampered 21 yards to the Packers' 4.

Twice?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! F@#king Twice!?!?!?!?!?
What the hell is going on out there?

MadtownPacker
10-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Why didnt the guy who made that call get the axe???? That play resulted in a TD right??

FritzDontBlitz
10-04-2006, 05:11 AM
hopefully schottenheimer gets reamed for that boneheaded move....

Rastak
10-04-2006, 05:21 AM

Isn't the denfensive coordinator in charge of getting guys on the field and making defensive calls?

KYPack
10-04-2006, 07:41 AM

Isn't the denfensive coordinator in charge of getting guys on the field and making defensive calls?

It's delegated throughout the lineup.

The first line of accountability is the captain. Within the first few days of making captain, you get "the speech". You are responsible for the count of your unit. An assistant coach pulls you aside and gives you a pep talk. It goes something like this "You have to count your (fill in the group) every play. If we don't have enuff guys on a play or too many men on the field, I'm gonna tear a yard right outta yer ass!"

So ya start counting everybody, every play for awhile.

On defense the assistant in the group should count firstly.

The DC would delegate an assistant to count every play.

And the DC is the captain of the ship, so when it runs aground, it's his fault even if he wasn't at the wheel.

On offense, the OC is usually up in the booth, so they actually delegate one of then QC assistants to count the groupings every play.

You have to work on making sure this gets done every play well in advance of the play & somebody is responsible every play.

It's a function of leadership.

This is a disorganized bunch on D

Bretsky
10-04-2006, 07:43 AM

I'LL BE THE FIRST TO SAY THIS

I SEE A LOT OF BOB SLOWIK TYPE SIGNS WITH THIS DEFENSE

SO FAR OUR DC SEEMS TO BE IN ABOVE HIS HEAD

HarveyWallbangers
10-04-2006, 08:03 AM

No, I don't think so. Most defensive coordinators are up in the booth. I doubt they give that responsibility to the DC. I'm sure there is somebody responsible on the sidelines, but I don't know who.

Patler
10-04-2006, 08:16 AM
The responsibility for the mistake can originate with the guy calling the alignment and can decend as low as the player himself.

1. If the DC is late making the call, by the time it is communicated down the chain to the assistants on the sideline and then to the players it can be too late.

2. The breakdown can be anywhere along the chain relaying the info.

3. Everything can be fine along the line of communication, but if a player on the sideline isn't paying attention and doesn't respond quickly to the call he can be late.

4. Sometimes the procedures are at fault, and teams make changes because their procedures are just too time consuming. No-huddle and hurry-up offenses are designed to give the defense insufficient time to make changes. If the defense tries to make changes in spite of the short time to do so they can get caught with too many players on the field, or with too few.

In short, the Packers may find that one or more coach is the problem, a player or players didn't pay attention, their procedures are wrong or they should have simply not tried to change personnel in that situation.

pittstang5
10-04-2006, 08:38 AM

I read this and about lost my composure at work. This is totally unexceptable for a professional team. And I'm tired of hearing "We've gotta fix that." No sh!t Sherlock. F'n fix it then - The defense hasn't played a single decent game all year.