PDA

View Full Version : Peter King : Sports Illustrated comments today

motife
04-19-2006, 07:00 PM
There's been a lot of righteous outrage over the last couple of weeks in your e-mails about Steve McNair and his situation with the Titans. I understand why. But I think there's a part of this that people who like McNair and don't want to see players wrong don't understand. On with your e-mails.

WHERE'S THE LOYALTY? From Mary of Boston: "Just have to know: What is up with the Titans and their treatment of Steve McNair? I just don't understand it. The man has been a good soldier for the Oilers/Titans, he's played injured and he's been an amazing leader. It would seem to make sense that they play him one more year, draft a QB of the future and let the kid learn from McNair. Why did they ban him from using their facilities to work out? He's under contract with them and he wants to work out, something teams want their players doing. Can't help but think that the damage to the relationship is done now. Do you think he'll be back?"

I think Tennessee should have made the break with McNair cleanly at the end of last season, because I don't think they can count on him to stay healthy for any extended period of time. The Titans got in this mess for two reasons: a bloated contract and poor communications between the team and the player. McNair and agent Bus Cook always understood that for McNair to stay in Tennessee in 2006, he was going to have to agree to major salary surgery. He's owed $23 million this year, and clearly there's no way he's going to make it. But negotiations dragged on to the point where the Titans feared that if McNair got hurt while working out in their offseason program in Nashville, the team would be liable for the entire $23 million. Because they couldn't agree on a redone contract, the Titans told him not to work out at the facility.

What should have happened, instead of McNair's getting turned away at the door when he showed up to work out a couple of weeks ago, is that Jeff Fisher should have been apprised of the seriousness of the situation. The coach should have told McNair that until the contract got resolved, for legal reasons McNair wouldn't be able to work out at team facilities. There's no way that such a clumsy thing as your starting QB getting turned away should have happened. As for whether he stays this year? I doubt it. I think he'll probably end up in Baltimore, beating out Kyle Boller for one or possibly two seasons.

BURNING BUSH RUMORS. From Dan of New York: "What's with all the rumors that the Texans are losing interest in Reggie Bush? I thought he was the guaranteed No. 1 pick."

I am in Houston today, so I'll find that out more clearly over the next couple of days. But I don't think the Texans are going to pass on Bush. He's the best pure talent in this draft, and the Houston offense desperately needs a home run hitter. Read what I wrote yesterday about the NFL draft annual smokescreens, and you'll probably understand why there's some hocus pocus out there right now about Bush not being the top pick.

From Gregory Ward of Atlanta: "I think all the quarterback smokescreens are masking one major question: Why won't Vernon Davis go No. 2 to the Saints? He's big, fast and has incredible hands. Scouts say he's instant offense. Here's the kicker: Drew Brees has plenty of experience throwing to a versatile TE. Am I missing something?"

I like your logic there. And I think that's possible, but only if the Saints trade down. To me, it's hard to justify paying a tight end $22 million in guaranteed money, because I just don't see it as one of the five or six most important positions on the field. If you think you have a franchise left tackle or defensive end available, I think you've got to go with that position over even a great tight end.

From Dan Finnegan of Bremerton, Wash.: "Love your pick of LenDale White to go to the Steelers in the first round, but don't you think they will pass due to his character issues that have arisen?"

Could be. I'm not saying Bill Cowher is any Father Flanagan, but it's not like White is Maurice Clarett. He seems from media reports to be more of a quirky guy, a little undisciplined, not a great work ethic. Things like those can be fixed by an iron-handed coach.

SERIOUS DOUBT IN SAN DIEGO. From J.D. of Carmel, N.Y.: "What are my Bolts doing? First they let Drew Brees walk for no compensation and now they float word that they want to trade Donnie Edwards? Donnie has been a model citizen, which is rare these days, and has been a great player on the field on top of being very involved in the community, and now they want to send him packing in his walk year? Is this because Donnie is a 'Marty' guy? What's the latest you hear on the rift between A.J. Smith and Marty Schottenheimer out in Bolt-land?"

Good question. No doubt in my mind that although Smith and Schottenheimer will be able to work together professionally, Schottenheimer was not pleased that Brees was not brought back. Smith obviously had major questions about Brees' surgically repaired shoulder and didn't want to invest long-term money in him. One thing I'll say about Smith: He's not afraid to make tough decisions. I don't know with certainty that he's actively peddling Edwards, but I do know that Smith is unemotional about divesting his team of veterans if he thinks they're starting to go downhill. I don't expect Schottenheimer to coach more than one more year in San Diego. I do expect Smith to be the general manager for more than one year.

LET'S GET ON TO THE WHACKING. From Matt of Andover, Mass.: "I'll try not to spoil The Sopranos episode for you, but are you seeing the Oprah-fication of Tony and crew that I am? There was a great piece on VH1 over the weekend on how they've all become The Golden Girls! Paulie cries over his mom/aunt, Johnny Sack breaks down at his daughter's wedding, Tony faints in the heat, Vito can't shut up about his weight loss and he's gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). What is happening to the mob in N.J.? Angela Lansbury saw more dead bodies than these guys have this season. And I don't think she ever cried about it. There. I feel better now."

You shouldn't be e-mailing me questions, Matt. You should have your own column online. That's funny stuff. I actually don't mind the sort of wussification of Tony and Johnny Sack. Because I think that once you've been in jail and once you've been near death, as happened this season with Johnny and Tony, I'm sure your perspective on things changes a bit. But like you, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of good whackings. To me, it looks like Frankie Valli's next. And I think the former Bloomfield, N.J., weightlifter is going to be involved.