PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Z

packinpatland
10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Can, would, should, I wish, someone, anyone shut this man up??????

GoPack06
10-04-2006, 11:22 AM
His hatred for Brett Favre is insane. Like i wouldn't be suprised if his nest column was

"The Packers are playing poorly, can someone arrest or kill Brett Favre, he's no hall of famer".

He mentioned that Favres passes we're gonna get his WR killed. I didnt see any passes like that. I wonder if he even watches the games.

KYPack
10-04-2006, 11:44 AM
His hatred for Brett Favre is insane. Like i wouldn't be suprised if his nest column was

"The Packers are playing poorly, can someone arrest or kill Brett Favre, he's no hall of famer".

He mentioned that Favres passes we're gonna get his WR killed. I didnt see any passes like that. I wonder if he even watches the games.

Them slants ARE deadly.

That ain't Brett's fault. MM put all that in to help the young OLine.

gbpackfan
10-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Dr. Z is a Favre hater. True. He wishes he was him.

MJZiggy
10-04-2006, 12:03 PM
I thought you were gonna post the article, but evidently I don't want to read it!

Noodle
10-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Here you go, MJ:

It was not easy to get a read on this team during that horrible Monday-night mishmosh telecast in which only one of the ESPN crew, sideline reporter Michele Tafoya, seemed to be interested in the game. But here's one thing I clearly saw: If they don't get Brett Favre out of there pretty soon, he's going to get his receivers killed. His passes are putting them in terribly awkward, compromising positions. Monday night it was Donald Driver's turn. I didn't think he was going to make it through. It was what they used to say about tail-gunners in WWII. Sooner or later their number's gonna be up.

You know, I've always thought that Favre has a tendency to put his receivers in positions of danger. In part it's because Favre will put the ball in to spots when a guy has a bunch of thugs (aka DBs) around, in part it's because he sometimes throws high or is off just enough to make a receiver sell out for the ball, again with all those thugs around. I know, folks will say that's what receivers get paid for, but man, DD took a heck of whack in the first half and was just never the same the rest of the night.

MJZiggy
10-04-2006, 05:36 PM
See Noodle? I was right. I really didn't want to read that! :wink:

NewsBruin
10-05-2006, 02:54 AM
I know, the nerve of that Dr. Z. Any right-minded sportswriter would have ranked the Packers as the number one team and followed the following priority chain of blame:

1. The Evil National Media
2. The Evil East Coast Media
3. The Vikings
4. The Bears
5. Javon Walker
6. The referees
7. Mike McKenzie
8. The Biased NFL
9. The Lions
10. Mike McCarthy
11. Ted Thompson
12. Injures
13. The receivers
14. The sun/night/rain
842. Brett Favre

An acceptible colum would go like this:

"For the 236th week in a row, I have the Packers ranked as the top team. Everybody else in the league should fold shop right now and give the trophy to Green Bay.

I almost dropped them to number 2, considering their 31-9 nailbiter to the Eagles, but that just wouldn't be fair to Brett. Boy, howdy does that guy have fun on the field. It's just not fair that his receivers keep running near safties and linebackers without looking. It just doesn't make Brett look good when his receivers don't bother to see another guy is running right into them.

And frankly, it's not all that hard to understand the loss, when you consider that Mike McKenzie held out two years ago. If that wasn't enough, Javon Walker didn't believe the Packers would reward him with a contract. It's almost not fair to be a Packer fan.

Every now and then, people bring up that the Packers have not given up less than 24 points in any game this season, but I remind them that they're simply national media bashers who only want to look good for each other and have no perception that these guys are trying hard. Besides, I blame the receivers for not being 8'6" tall."

the_idle_threat
10-05-2006, 03:32 AM
I suspect the truth is somewhere in between, NewsBruin.

Favre did not play his best game last night, but Z is way off base in saying Favre is a hazard to his receivers and always has been.

NewsBruin
10-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Fair enough; I'll settle down.

Note: Only the first paragraph came from Zimmerman's rankings. The second was the poster's comments.

run pMc
10-05-2006, 06:35 AM
Didn't Bob McGinn make a comment in the "Grading the Packers" article about how they kept sending DD into the teeth of the defense and he wasn't the same after a while? I don't think Z is that far off...Favre has never been Aikman-accurate, but I don't think he's a WR-killer either. His accuracy on Monday was fair at best. I do know that Favre has a lot of confidence in his arm and that he can just rocket a ball into a very small space. Maybe he's nervous about his pass protection? Maybe it's the reads he has to make in M3's offense?

DD got beat up pretty bad, and developed a little bit of alligator arms, which is not like him. GB should mix up who they send on those routes so he's not on IR by week 8.

swede
10-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Truthfully, Brett HAS broken a lot of receivers' fingers, if that counts as posing a hazard.

packinpatland
10-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Didn't DD's dropped balls come before he was 'beat up'?

packinpatland
10-05-2006, 07:34 AM
One more thing, I can accept critics of the Packers/Favre. But you have to admit, Z has NEVER written anything positive about either the Packers or especially Favre. So when he writes something like he just did, it comes off as just another biased rant.

cpk1994
10-05-2006, 08:33 AM
I suspect the truth is somewhere in between, NewsBruin.

Favre did not play his best game last night, but Z is way off base in saying Favre is a hazard to his receivers and always has been.

I partly disagree. Favre has been a hazard to his recievers at times. Remember in 1996, when favre led Antonio Freeman over the middle right into a big hit whcih brok Free's Arm. Or how bout the week after that when Beebe got led over the middle and nearly ended up unconsious? The countless times Brooks was led over the middle to take big hits. It is far off base to say that Favre has NEVER been a hazard, because at times he has,

Cheesehead Craig
10-05-2006, 08:47 AM
WR go across the middle, they get hit, fact of life in the NFL. This is not just a Favre thing. There have been plenty of WR all over the NFL that got creamed going over the middle.

MJZiggy
10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Doesn't that have more to do with the play called? I don't think Favre's saying "hey Donald, why don't you run across the middle there so I can get you killed." I think it has to do with where DD lines up and what the route is. If he gets doubled and clobbered, that's due to the fact that he got open so he got the ball.

packinpatland
10-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Doesn't that have more to do with the play called? I don't think Favre's saying "hey Donald, why don't you run across the middle there so I can get you killed." I think it has to do with where DD lines up and what the route is. If he gets doubled and clobbered, that's due to the fact that he got open so he got the ball.

Sometimes when it is as transparent as you've just stated, people look to see more into it. Given the fact that the plays are called from the sideline, the same plays that are practiced all week long in practice, it does seem abit illogical to blame the QB when WR gets decked. But then again, logic seems to be at a premium around here.

pbmax
10-05-2006, 01:57 PM
One more thing, I can accept critics of the Packers/Favre. But you have to admit, Z has NEVER written anything positive about either the Packers or especially Favre. So when he writes something like he just did, it comes off as just another biased rant.
If you haven't seen Z priase the Packers (or Favre), then you haven't been reading him long enough.

pbmax
10-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Think about Favre's accuracy and timing. He has often thrown high, late and in front of receivers in the middle. All are hallmarks of his lesser throws.

And he has had several receivers willing to go headlong to catch these passes. Brooks, Freeman, Chmura, Sharpe, Driver.

He has also had a lack of success with these routes with receivers who had no intention of sticking their head in there: Rison, Schroeder, Glenn and Ferguson.

Its not on him alone. Coaches have to call the routes. But Holmgren did and Brooks and Free used to get tatooed often. Its part of what made them such good receivers for the Pack and Favre. You have to go deep into the stats to find number of times thrown to versus number of catches made.

Its was a fair criticism before, its fair now.

packinpatland
10-05-2006, 02:07 PM
If you haven't seen Z priase the Packers (or Favre), then you haven't been reading him long enough.

Altho I'm not from Missouri, show me.

Noodle
10-05-2006, 03:49 PM
If you're seriously asking "show me," then either you haven't been watching the Pack for the last 15 years, or you don't see any other quarterbacks.

I (and PBMax as well, I think) am not saying Favre intentionally gets guys whacked. I'm sure that's the last thing in the world that he wants to happen. But his willingness to throw to guys in tight traffic, and his propensity for being a little off target and a little high are a lethal combination over the middle.

Look, I'm no expert, but I know what I've seen over the years, and I know I haven't seen the same consistent hammering happen to guys who Montana or Young (both WCO QBs who threw slants) were throwing to.

It's been a constant complaint that Favre has never had great receivers. I think that he's had some very courageous guys who really sold out for him.

pbmax
10-05-2006, 04:53 PM

Altho I'm not from Missouri, show me.
I appreciate the request, but I just spent 45 minutes digging up old McGinn articles to send to PFT to refute the notion that it was Sherman's staff that were as reesponsible for his draft blunders as Sherman was. So I am going to pass on this project.

But for instance, Dr. Z always had good things to say about the line, especially the guards during Sherman's tenure. He was especially high on Rivera, but thought Wahle had passed him toward the end of their stay. they were regularly on his short list of candidates for All Pro. He wasn't quite enamored of the tackles but thought Clifton was one of the five best pass pro tackles playing.

He took Clifton's side on the Sapp hit, asking what is the purpose of unnecessary roughness penalty.

And he was quite appreciative of Favre and Holmgren's coaching during the Super Bowl run.

He has been hammering Favre during this decade because he believes (originally he had a point) that Favre was being given a free pass on bad throws by the media. But this is a later development in the 16 year career.

oregonpackfan
10-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Dr. Z's credibility as an NFL evaluator and prognosticar should be taken with a grain of salt.

Of the 32 games he wrote about and predicted his year, he has gotten exactly 16 correct. That is exactly 50%.(Check out this week's issue of SI to see the results)

Anyone off the street who knew absolutely nothing about football could also predict with 50% accuracy.

OPF