PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports Draft Blog : (Walker worth at least a 3rd)

motife
04-19-2006, 07:02 PM
archived posts »

Smart Trade...
Apr 19, 2006 | 10:22AM | report this We wrote earlier about rumors involving the 49ers and Broncos getting together on a trade. In fact, the two teams do just that, but instead of trading down, San Francisco gets another first-round pick.

Denver acquired a second-round pick (37 overall) and San Fran's third round pick (68) for the Broncos' second first-round pick at No. 22. Denver still has a first-round selection at No. 15 overall.

This is a great trade for both teams. Read what we wrote earlier about Denver wanting Sinorice Moss and what Shanahan told the receiver from Miami. There is a very realistic chance he is still on the board at 37. And after his medical report last week, there is a chance that LenDale White is around then as well. LSU's Joseph Addai could be a savvy second-round selection for the Broncos, too. And there are plenty of third-round grades on receivers (Derek Hagan, Maurice Stovall, Demetrius Williams, Jason Avant) if the Broncos don't pick a wideout in round 2.

And San Fran is in a golden spot to draft a defensive starter / impact player with a second first rounder. At 22, the Niners could select a linebacker (Chad Greenway, Ernie Sims, etc) or perhaps a starting CB. And they still have that sixth overall pick.

2 Comments | Add a comment categories: NFL, NFL Draft 2006, Denver Broncos, San Francisco 49ers

Wednesday morning nuggets...
Apr 19, 2006 | 8:43AM | report this What it is Holmes...

On yesterday's radio show, I hosted with the smart and talented Moose Johnston. He had a very interesting take on the Cowboys draft. Moose believes that the Cowboys are best served taking the best player on the board and not trading down or up. I posed this hypothetical to Moose and Rick Gosselin from the Dallas Morning News - what if Manny Lawson and Kamerion Wimbley (again, the absolute perfect fits for the Cowboys) are off the board, and WR Santonio Holmes is that best player available. Both Johnston and Gosselin highly endorsed the selection, even with TO and Terry Glenn in the fold.

The Cowboys just signed Marcus Coleman and matched the Saints offer sheet for Keith Davis. With a couple of safties now in the fold, and guys like Ko Simpson, Darnell Bing, Donte Whitner, and Jason Allen not grading out to the 18th best player in the draft, I would be surprised if Dallas picked a safety at 18.

Mad About Mike...

WR / returner Sinorice Moss is a weekly guest on our show. He just wrapped up visits with the Eagles, Broncos, and Titans. In fact, he is now done taking tours. I asked him yesterday if there was a coach or general manager that stood out the most all his travels and conversations. Moss said Mike Shanahan. He loved talking offense with the Broncos coach, and was blown away by how good of a fit Shanahan thought he would be in the Denver attack. But picking Moss at number 22 might be a bit too early for Denver.

Trading Lelie? Trading to get Davis?

The Denver Post reports the agent for Ashley Lelie is searching for a trade. Lelie is in the last year of his contract. The Broncos could be in the mix for a Super Bowl this year. I wouldn't trade Lelie. But I would select a WR on day 1 as insurance for 2007 and beyond, whether it is a Chad Jackson, Holmes, or Moss in round 1, or someone like Maurice Stovall later on during the first day of the draft. And Denver has interest in trading up for Maryland TE Vernon Davis. Perhaps the 49ers will be the Broncos trading partner. Getting extra bodies make sense for the 49ers.

Raving about the Ravens...

In talking to Brodrick Bunkley, the defensive tackle said the best trip he made was clearly to Baltimore. The Florida State star gushed about his time with Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome. Bunkley also said he was in awe when he met Ray Lewis for the first time and it would be an honor to play with him. The defensive tackle, who can instantly play for an NFL team, stressed that he can play in both a 4-3 and 3-4 defense. Look for Bunkley to be drafted between 8 (Buffalo) and 13 (Baltimore).

Another Clemens in New York?

Sandwiched in between visits with Matt Leinart and Vince Young, the Jets are chatting up Oregon QB Kellen Clemens. As we wrote in last week's column, there are a lot of GMs out there who believe Clemens will be a very good starting QB in the NFL. He was having a great senior season before breaking his ankle. If Matt Leinart is off the board, and I think he is going to the Titans, the Jets might be best served addressing seemingly every position but QB on day 1 (Mario Williams, Nick Mangold, etc.), then taking Clemens to start the festivities on day 2.

Add a comment categories: NFL, NFL Draft 2006, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens, Kellen Clemens, New York Giants

Pre-Draft Games / Rumors
Apr 18, 2006 | 9:22AM | report this You will hear a lot of conversation, lies, and smoke screens over the next week and a half before the draft.

Let's tackle some of the rumors out there...

Reggie Still The One...

Houston is taking Reggie Bush. Forget what you are hearing and reading about Mario Williams. Of course, the Texans are talking turkey with the N.C. State defensive end. That is being done as a way to lower the price for Bush and his agent Joel Segal. And it is the Houston brass that is leaking to the press that the organization is chatting up Williams.

No QB for NO...

The Saints are not drafting Matt Leinart. It makes absolutely no sense. Comparing this situation to Eli Manning is like comparing apples to automobiles (forget oranges). The Titans and Jets aren't giving up their entire drafts or putting all their eggs in Leinart's basket when they can stay at 3 and 4 respectively and grab Vince Young or Jay Cutler. Plus, the Jets, in desperate need of an infusion of several talented young ballplayers, could be better served by trading down and / or addressing their QB needs later on day 1, or even on day 2 with a Kellen Clemens. And if the Saints try to force the issue, like the Chargers did by actually picking Manning a few years ago, they could get stuck. I believe New Orleans will stay at two and pick either Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson, with the offensive tackle being the likely selection.

Don't Make a Trade in a Huff...

The Cowboys trading up for Texas defensive back Michael Huff doesn't make much sense. Sure, the hometown hero would fill a major need for Dallas, but the Cowboys don't have the chips to get a deal done. And with needs at safety, offensive line, and Dallas craving the next Demarcus Ware, Manny Lawson or Kamerion Wimbley, a deal giving up picks is illogical. I think the playmaking Huff is going to be a star, and is likely to go in the 6-10 range, but the Cowboys would be better served trading down and getting more picks if they want to opt out of their current slot.

Walker a Goner...

I will be stunned if Javon Walker isn't traded by draft day. Ted Thompson cannot get stubborn here. Walker has no interest in re-signing with the Packers after this season. Now I know the Eagles never give up picks for players, but they did make a serious late run at Eric Moulds, only to inexplicably jump in way too late. To make a trade for Walker, if I am an NFL GM, I would have my doctors spend a lot of time looking at his ACL. Assuming a clean bill of health, I would give up a 3rd round pick at least for a receiver with this type of talent. The Eagles and Broncos have interest.

motife
04-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Houston traded out of the #2 pick last year which Miami used to draft RB Ronnie Brown, Auburn.

The Texans at #16 drafted Travis Johnson, DE Florida State. Would be funny if they drafted DE's back to back, ala Detroit and the WR's.

The Saints drafted OT Jammal Brown of Oklahoma in 2005, who backed up Wayne Gandy. Gandy was traded to the Falcons a week ago. In 2004, the Saints also drafted a DE, Will Smith of Ohio St. with the 18th pick.

Charles Woodson
04-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Houston traded out of the #2 pick last year which Miami used to draft RB Ronnie Brown, Auburn.

The Texans at #16 drafted Travis Johnson, DE Florida State. Would be funny if they drafted DE's back to back, ala Detroit and the WR's.

The Saints drafted OT Jammal Brown of Oklahoma in 2005, who backed up Wayne Gandy. Gandy was traded to the Falcons a week ago. In 2004, the Saints also drafted a DE, Will Smith of Ohio St. with the 18th pick.

Are you sure? i dont think they traded. Wasnt the texans 8-8 last year, and the dolphins 2-14?

Partial
04-20-2006, 06:07 PM
You can never have too many good DE's and DTs. I'd draft them consecutively if they were good and going to be difference makers.

2nd most important position in football

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Are you sure? i dont think they traded. Wasnt the texans 8-8 last year, and the dolphins 2-14?

I think you are correct, but I'm not absolutely positive.

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2006, 11:15 PM
To make a trade for Walker, if I am an NFL GM, I would have my doctors spend a lot of time looking at his ACL. Assuming a clean bill of health, I would give up a 3rd round pick at least for a receiver with this type of talent. The Eagles and Broncos have interest.

I don't think doctors are going to be able to tell much, at this point.

Even with Walker's uncertain health, look at how uncertain draft picks are! The chances of a third round pick ever being as good as Walker (in good health) have to be about 1 in 30. And maybe the chances of Walker returning to his top form are 1 in 3.

If I were a GM, I sure would trade a 2 or 3 for Walker.