PDA

View Full Version : Robinson sentenced to 90 days in jail for repeat DUI

packers11
10-04-2006, 07:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2613544

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson was sentenced Wednesday to 90 days in jail for violating probation in a drunken driving case.

Robinson must comply with the sentence by next March 1, when another court hearing is scheduled.

gbpackfan
10-04-2006, 07:29 PM
To me, that sounds like he could serve his sentence after the season. Am I wrong?

Rastak
10-04-2006, 07:30 PM

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson was sentenced Wednesday to 90 days in jail for violating probation in a drunken driving case.

Robinson must comply with the sentence by next March 1, when another court hearing is scheduled.

gbpackfan is 100% correct...hats off to you for correctly predicting this.
He should have got his original sentance but as he pointed out, being an athelete gives you special privledges....

Rastak
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
To me, that sounds like he could serve his sentence after the season. Am I wrong?

Yea, I think so, 90 days before March 1st.

mraynrand
10-04-2006, 07:32 PM

Oh thank GOD - he'll be available for the Superbowl. Otherwise I was going to have to find someone else to drive me there.

gbpackfan
10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Rastak,

It never fails does it. If it were you or me, our butts would be sitting in the clink RIGHT NOW!

green_bowl_packer
No you are not. The guys on WTMJ confirmed it. Just has to start the 90 days by March 1st. I didn't realize this was coming up so soon, if it was an immediate sentence we'd be hosed at WR big time with Ferguson already out.

Rastak

Oh thank GOD - he'll be available for the Superbowl. Otherwise I was going to have to find someone else to drive me there.

Depends on when his current DUI and Felony trial is. This is an old one.

gbpackfan
10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
No you are not. The guys on WTMJ confirmed it. Just has to start the 90 days by March 1st. I didn't realize this was coming up so soon, if it was an immediate sentence we'd be hosed at WR big time with Ferguson already out.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile.

Rastak
10-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Rastak,

It never fails does it. If it were you or me, our butts would be sitting in the clink RIGHT NOW!

No kidding, we'd walk up there and the judge would say...you did "WHAT".
Original sentence served, next case.

Rastak
10-04-2006, 07:35 PM

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile.

He's 100% correctamundo as the fonz used to say.

Rastak
10-04-2006, 07:40 PM
From Seattle...what a joke....

Koren Robinson will go to jail for probation violation

By GREGG BELL
AP SPORTS WRITER

Robinson appeared in Municipal Court in this Seattle suburb, where he pleaded guilty last year to drunken driving.

At the time, he was given a five-year sentence that was suspended on condition that he not drink or have any other law violations.

The former first-round draft pick was then released by the Seattle Seahawks and signed by the Minnesota Vikings.

But Robinson was charged with drunken driving again after he was stopped for speeding in August in Minnesota near the Vikings' training camp, leading to Wednesday's hearing. He was released by the Vikings after that incident, and picked up by Green Bay last month.

Judge Robert McSeveney, a visiting judge from nearby Kent, sentenced Robinson to 90 days in jail, and said he could spend half of it on work-release.

Robinson's attorney, John Fox, admitted Robinson failed to report his change of address and change of employment status to the probation office.

"I know Mr. Robinson intends to comply," Fox said.

"You are not in a position not to comply," McSeveney replied, addressing Robinson. "I would make it real clear to you that there is no waffle in that."

Robinson declined comment after the 10-minute hearing.

justanotherpackfan
10-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Wow, nobody thought that was funny. Tough crowd.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Maybe some jail will help him grow up.

red
10-04-2006, 07:47 PM
ha i was right

small amount of time in jail, and he can serve it when he wants, in the offseason

he will not miss any games for the probation violation

now we just have to wait on his other hearing, and then see what the league decides to do

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-04-2006, 08:01 PM

If he has to serve 90 days before March 1st, doesn't that mean he must miss at least a mouth?

red
10-04-2006, 08:03 PM

If he has to serve 90 days before March 1st, doesn't that mean he must miss at least a mouth?

only is some freak thing happens and we make the playoffs. he might have to miss the last game of the season, or maybe do some time over the bye week

Guiness
10-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Not defending him by any means, but I don't think he got particulary special treatment here. It's pretty hard to go to jail for that - I've heard of guys with 7, 8 convictions who are still out walking around. Truth is, if we started putting these guys in jail, we'd be building new ones in a hurry.

Now, I'm not familiar with the original infraction. 5yr sentence - a 5yr jail sentence? How the heck did he get that - I didn't think he hurt anyone. That's pretty harsh for a simple DIU.

Anyways, this is a (possibly short term) win for the Pack. Except the conviction will now allow the NFL to assess a penalty, which should be the 1yr suspension. I think they could pretty much do that any time now.

Again, I saw some of the horror stories posted on the original KR signing thread, and I don't wish to re-hash what suitable punishment would be. I'm merely stating that the LAW doesn't generally assess penalties of that magnitude.

Guiness
10-04-2006, 08:13 PM

answered

No you are not. The guys on WTMJ confirmed it. Just has to start the 90 days by March 1st.

Tony Oday
10-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Yup has to start in March.

This is actually quite common because they do know that people have to work. So basically if he was still in Seattle and was a computer analyst he would serve it in a workhouse type place that let him out during the day up to 12 hours to go too and from work.

Packers4Ever
10-04-2006, 09:55 PM

But if it's 90 days before March 1st, that would be December, January and February, wouldn't it? And December is our final month of games....

pbmax
10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Florio at PFT has it as 90 days served before Mar 1, but he is linking to the JSOnline site story, which is the same AP story in this thread. Few details.

Unlike TMJ, Florio is a lawyer and often has a good bead on things. Just like TMJ, Florio has been wrong on legal details before.

Its too early to tell. It will be tough to convince the judge that he serve the time here, I would imagine.

I hope he straightens himself out before someone gets hurt.

Tony Oday
10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
he has to start before the date and also almost every state gives you one day served for every two behind the bars so he will only have 2 months in jail.

Guiness
10-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Ok, but what about my other question - what the heck did he do to get a 5 year sentence???

Harlan Huckleby
10-04-2006, 10:06 PM

It could be tight if the Packers play in the Super Bowl.

swede
10-04-2006, 10:09 PM
True dat, Max

As previous poster pointed out the treatment wasn't so special, perhaps.

From my profession I came to know someone walking around with 11 DUI's in Wisconsin and other states.

He'd drive home from a long night of drinking at about 5 mph. Cops would walk up to him and pull him over.

His liver gave out before he could serve his final adjudicated sentence and he left three kids w/o a dad.

That kind of alcoholism is sad.

KR is unlikely to make it to March w/o more problems imho.

pbmax
10-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Ok, but what about my other question - what the heck did he do to get a 5 year sentence???
From the article:

Robinson appeared in Municipal Court in this Seattle suburb, where he pleaded guilty last year to drunken driving.

At the time, he was given a five-year sentence that was suspended on condition that he not drink or have any other law violations.

Guiness
10-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Was the 5 years a jail sentence??? You don't get 5 years in the clink for a DUI.

Kiwon
10-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Koren ought to get down on his knees and thank God for this outcome. He really has been given a third and fourth chance to make something of himself as a person and as a player.

I am critical of TT, but I do credit him here in giving Koren the opportunity to redeem himself personally and professionally.

Hopefully, Koren will be the rare athlete to actually beat his addiction and fly straight and level. Brett did it and so can Koren.

Packers4Ever
10-04-2006, 11:08 PM
he has to start before the date and also almost every state gives you one day served for every two behind the bars so he will only have 2 months in jail.

OK, thanks guys for helping answer this..... :smile:

GrnBay007
10-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Whether he has to serve it before March 1st or begin the jail time BY March 1st is really a moot point anyway if they said he can do 1/2 the sentence on work release. Work release will allow him to go do his job and then return to the jail or work release center.

90 days contempt is not unusual at all for a probation violation. Esp. if it was his first violation while on probation in that state.

oregonpackfan
10-05-2006, 01:22 AM
Koren ought to get down on his knees and thank God for this outcome. He really has been given a third and fourth chance to make something of himself as a person and as a player.

I am critical of TT, but I do credit him here in giving Koren the opportunity to redeem himself personally and professionally.

Hopefully, Koren will be the rare athlete to actually beat his addiction and fly straight and level. Brett did it and so can Koren.

I agree. KR needs to be grateful for the opportunity to pursue football and stay sober.

OPF

MadtownPacker
10-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Hell yeah!! The judge went easy on our homie!!

Now he can catch some TDs before the NFL suspends him!!

Rastak
10-05-2006, 06:39 AM
Koren Robinson gets 90 days for parole violation
BY TAD VEZNER
Pioneer Press

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson, a former Viking, was ordered Wednesday to serve three months in jail for a parole violation pertaining to a previous drunken driving conviction in a Seattle suburb, court officials said.

Robinson appeared Wednesday in Kirkland, Wash., Municipal Court, just east of Seattle, in relation to the charge, to which he pleaded guilty in July 2005. At the time, Robinson served one day in jail, with 364 days suspended. He was also ordered to abstain from alcohol and non-prescription drugs and given 24 months of probation.

On Wednesday, Robinson was ordered to serve an additional 90 days, 45 of which he could serve on work release. Court officials said he had to report back to Kirkland no later than Feb. 28 to either serve the time there or arrange to stay at another jail at his own expense.
Jon Scott Fox, Robinson's Washington attorney, did not return a phone call for comment.

The sentence will not be the last Robinson will face.

He was arrested Aug. 16 in Mankato, Minn., after a high-speed chase that began in St. Peter, Minn. He was charged with six criminal counts, including a felony for fleeing police and two misdemeanor charges of fourth-degree driving while impaired.
Robinson was let go by the Vikings 10 days after the arrest. He was later signed by the Packers.

A Packers spokesperson declined to comment on Wednesday's court decision. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he was "hopeful" Robinson would return today.

Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, did not return a call for comment.

Sparkey
10-05-2006, 11:01 AM
BY TAD VEZNER
Pioneer Press

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson, a former Viking, was ordered Wednesday to serve three months in jail for a parole violation pertaining to a previous drunken driving conviction in a Seattle suburb, court officials said.

Robinson appeared Wednesday in Kirkland, Wash., Municipal Court, just east of Seattle, in relation to the charge, to which he pleaded guilty in July 2005. At the time, Robinson served one day in jail, with 364 days suspended. He was also ordered to abstain from alcohol and non-prescription drugs and given 24 months of probation.

On Wednesday, Robinson was ordered to serve an additional 90 days, 45 of which he could serve on work release. Court officials said he had to report back to Kirkland no later than Feb. 28 to either serve the time there or arrange to stay at another jail at his own expense.
Jon Scott Fox, Robinson's Washington attorney, did not return a phone call for comment.

He was arrested Aug. 16 in Mankato, Minn., after a high-speed chase that began in St. Peter, Minn. He was charged with six criminal counts, including a felony for fleeing police and two misdemeanor charges of fourth-degree driving while impaired.
Robinson was let go by the Vikings 10 days after the arrest. He was later signed by the Packers.

A Packers spokesperson declined to comment on Wednesday's court decision. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he was "hopeful" Robinson would return today.

The fleeing Felony will be dropped and he will plead to the DUI. Standard plea agreement I am sure.

Rastak
10-05-2006, 11:35 AM
BY TAD VEZNER
Pioneer Press

The fleeing Felony will be dropped and he will plead to the DUI. Standard plea agreement I am sure.

Nothing would surprise me, common sense would say it makes no sense to drop a felony conviction to a get a guilty plea on a misdomeaner where they have him dead to rights on both. I would guess they'd offer him a guilty plea on the felony with a limited jail sentence as the bait...but who knows. The justice system is goofy. The Washington judge found something like six violations of probation and then allows him to pick his
own jail time. I read that was because they didn't want to send him away while the Minnesota case was pending but why would that matter? The US justice system is a goofy thing.

red
10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
it happens probably hundreds of times a day where courts drop one thing, when a person pleads guilty to a lesser conviction, ras

has anyone heard what the other 3 counts are?

and how do you get 2 counts for the dui? can someone explain that. he was drunk, he gets one count for drunk driving, i would think. was the other dui charge, driving under the influence while playing the radio to loud, or something like that?

i have heard of the fleeing, and the 2 for dui, and theres probably one for speeding in the first place. but what the heck would the others be? i read he put up no fight what-so-ever

Rastak
10-05-2006, 06:18 PM
it happens probably hundreds of times a day where courts drop one thing, when a person pleads guilty to a lesser conviction, ras

has anyone heard what the other 3 counts are?

and how do you get 2 counts for the dui? can someone explain that. he was drunk, he gets one count for drunk driving, i would think. was the other dui charge, driving under the influence while playing the radio to loud, or something like that?

i have heard of the fleeing, and the 2 for dui, and theres probably one for speeding in the first place. but what the heck would the others be? i read he put up no fight what-so-ever

Red, you got me on the DUI thing. As for pleading guilty on a lesser count, that's done many times when the prosecutor isn't 100% sure he can prove the bigger charge and the defendent doesn't want to risk it. It seems like a slam dunk here but again, who knows.

MJZiggy
10-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I would think that the other charge(s) would be related to reckless driving (running stop signs, etc) or reckless endangerment. Rastak, part of the reason they plea so many of these cases is to save the court costs. If you can get the plea on a lesser charge you don't have to pay for the attorney, judge, courtroom, transcriptionist, jury, reporter and all those lovely civil servants to process and store the paperwork.

Guiness
10-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Ziggy hit it on the head on both counts. Some of the other infractions could be moving violations. They could also be alcohol related, like 'open package of liquor in a motor vehicle' or similar. But the 2 counts of dui confuse me as well. Maybe they caught him coming and going?

Nothing surprises me though. I left home one morning with a perfect driving record. Got into an accident, and was 'un-insurable' by lunch time. If you get the wrong cop, wrong time, etc, he can screw you six ways to Sunday without even trying.

GrnBay007
10-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Generally, in bigger cases....more criminal...pleas are more often used when the prosecutor isn't 100% sure he can prove the bigger charge. In the more run of the mill charges....like Robinson, pleas are standard to help out a crammed court docket in any given State. Court costs are almost always charged to the defendant no matter.

Plus...convictions look good on the DA's record...even if it is a 3 for 1 deal.

GrnBay007
10-05-2006, 10:49 PM
The two charges of DUI is strange. Notice they have 4th degree in there....strange too. Maybe has something to do with the blood alcohol level? Who knows, all states are different.

Rastak
10-05-2006, 10:56 PM
The two charges of DUI is strange. Notice they have 4th degree in there....strange too. Maybe has something to do with the blood alcohol level? Who knows, all states are different.

His blood alchohol wasn't that high. He was first clocked at over 100 and accelerated from there to escape the cops. Maybe it's something to do with that.

GrnBay007
10-05-2006, 11:04 PM

His blood alchohol wasn't that high. He was first clocked at over 100 and accelerated from there to escape the cops. Maybe it's something to do with that.

Could be Rastak....maybe the second DUI charge has something to do with commiting a felony while driving impaired. I guess it's fun to speculate. lol Don't we have anyone in here that's familiar with MN laws/charges? C'mon....all you MN guys can't be Saints!! :razz: :wink:

the_idle_threat
10-06-2006, 02:27 AM

Could be Rastak....maybe the second DUI charge has something to do with commiting a felony while driving impaired. I guess it's fun to speculate. lol Don't we have anyone in here that's familiar with MN laws/charges? C'mon....all you MN guys can't be Saints!! :razz: :wink:

Yeah, some of you have to be filthy lawyers ... :razz:

Packers4Ever
10-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Sorry that happened, Guiness, didn't sound fair at all.

Just an hour ago, I heard an interview on the radio between KRob and a reporter. He sounds so on the up and up, you really want to believe him. His feeling is he has a job to do for the GBP that was very important to him. One can only hope this time will be the time he'll stay dry, if that's possible.