PDA

View Full Version : If you ever want... A GOOD MOVIE

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Reference Link:

http://www.tomthorpe.com/Movies/OtherGoodFilms.htm

I've seen alot of them.

** What are your five (5) favourite's fr. this recommended list?

Very good movies in this long list.

When you see the list maybe you'll agree... ** that is a tough question.

Then at the TOP of the page on the Link you'll see another link to the TOP 15 Movies...

Please pick your fav. three (3) here.

There is one in this TOP 15 that shouts out to me (I was blown away by "this late year release" ) ... that I felt, deserved the Academy Award...
" the fact " this movie came out late that year may have killed it's chances?

I'm interested in seeing how many of you loved this movie as well. :mrgreen:

CyclonePackFan
10-05-2006, 11:29 AM
OK, honest question...how the hell can you pick just three out of THAT list?

well, hell....

There are a few movies I believe should be "required watching" for everybody, just like every free person should be required to read Orwell's '1984'.

Every person should be required to watch:

Schindler's List - This movie was simply epic.

The Godfather Trilogy - Screw "Citizen Kane", the first part is the best movie ever made. I consider the trilogy to be one movie, which is why I'm not listing a part. You want to have fun on a weekend? Watch the whole trilogy, in a row, over a 12 hour span with some friends. Just do it after football season.

Saving Private Ryan - I remember when this movie came out, there were people whining about how violent it was. Then I remember hearing about WWII vets shaking in the theater because it was so close to what they went through, and telling those people "You have no idea what you're talking about, THIS IS WHAT IT WAS LIKE." A couple of years ago they decided to show this movie on ABC, and the FCC (yes, the same FCC that fined CBS half a million dollars for 1/2 second of boob) decided that this movie deserves to be aired UNCUT, language, violence, everything.

ahaha
10-05-2006, 01:07 PM
There are a lot of good movies on this list, and some duds.

-"Amadeus" should be on this list ahead of "Immortal Beloved"
-Where was "Platoon", "Good Fellas", "Pulp Fiction", "Gangs of New York", and "Cold Mountain"?

One movie you won't see on many rankings is a German film called "Downfall". It was nominated for best foreign film, and IMHO, if it were in English, it would have won 'Best Picture' hands down.
This movie is OUTSTANDING in many ways. It's in German, with subtitiles, which I usually hate, but that doesn't matter once you start watching. The story is all about the last few weeks in Hitler's bunker during the battle of Berlin, basically the fall of the Third Rheich. The story is haunting and mezmorizing. The acting is phenominal, I can't think of a better acted movie. The cinematography is incredible. The characters are rich and superbly developed. If you're a fan of quality, original, powerful cinema, you'll love this movie. I can't recommend it enough.
A Warning: If you think movies should always be safe like predictable romantic comedies, or happy where the hero always kicks ass at the end to save everybody, then you probably won't like it.

MadtownPacker
10-05-2006, 01:25 PM
What about Joe Dirt?

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 01:35 PM
OK, honest question...how the hell can you pick just three out of THAT list?

well, hell....

There are a few movies I believe should be "required watching" for everybody, just like every free person should be required to read Orwell's '1984'.

Every person should be required to watch:

Schindler's List - This movie was simply epic.

The Godfather Trilogy - Screw "Citizen Kane", the first part is the best movie ever made. I consider the trilogy to be one movie, which is why I'm not listing a part. You want to have fun on a weekend? Watch the whole trilogy, in a row, over a 12 hour span with some friends. Just do it after football season.

Saving Private Ryan - I remember when this movie came out, there were people whining about how violent it was. Then I remember hearing about WWII vets shaking in the theater because it was so close to what they went through, and telling those people "You have no idea what you're talking about, THIS IS WHAT IT WAS LIKE." A couple of years ago they decided to show this movie on ABC, and the FCC (yes, the same FCC that fined CBS half a million dollars for 1/2 second of boob) decided that this movie deserves to be aired UNCUT, language, violence, everything.

"OK, honest question...how the hell can you pick just three out of THAT list?"
CyclonePackFan

haha. I agree that is tough CyclonePackFan.

Your choices fr. the TOP 15 fr. the original Link includes:

Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan and these are enormous films.

Your first choice Schindler's List is to me a contrast study in the differences between " the most Evil of Mankind " and " the conviction and bravery of one man against the Evil system in Power ", to do all he could to save the innocent from the shadows of " that Evil ". This movie was extremly well presented a powerful film directed by one of OUR finest Diectors who hasn't yet received the recognition I feel he certainly deserves.

Saving Private Ryan, particularly the opening blew me away.

My Father CyclonePackFan was a part of " the reality" of that invasion by "the Allies". His Regiment went ashore and he survived and went on to actually arrive in Berlin as the Allies pushed " the German Army " to surrender.

Earlier in WWII Dad was one of the fortunate survivors of the tragic attempted landing by mostly Canadian soldiers, at the tragic battle know of as Dieppe.

The information on the strength of the German defense wasn't accurate, as the word was a light defense. In fact, the German machine gunners were dug in, in more than adequate numbers and along with some light artillary, slughtered Canadian soldiers, before or as soon as they were about to hit the beachhead.

Alot of good young men didn't even set foot on the beach before they were killed.

I have seen a Documentry of that failed mission and that whole thing makes me too angry .The General Command led by "the British" screwed that one up Royally, and over a thousand Canadian young men lost their lives in that single mission.

I also agree with your addition of the Godfather Triology. A Great series of films with amazing acting and top flight drama and story telling.

If you have time CyclonePackFan?

What are your five (5) choices on the original Link's long list of recommended movies?

SkinBasket
10-05-2006, 01:44 PM
-Where was "Platoon", "Good Fellas", "Pulp Fiction", "Gangs of New York", and "Cold Mountain"?

You can make a case for Platoon, but I hope you weren't serious about Gangs of New York. I think Joe Dirt carries more social relevance and a better constructed plot line than GONY. The Buffalo Bob scene alone blows half of Scorsese's tinsel-inflated diatribe away.

It puts the lotion on its skin.

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 01:55 PM
What about Joe Dirt?

Hey MtP !

Tell us about it !? Are we missing out ?

That sounds like another Johnny Depp movie with a soundtrack featuring Neil Young. :mrgreen:

Partial
10-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Some classics:

Miracle
This Is Spinal Tap
American Pie ( the original was classic )
The Royal Tenenbaums
Life As A House
Gladiator

ahaha
10-05-2006, 02:05 PM

You can make a case for Platoon, but I hope you weren't serious about Gangs of New York. I think Joe Dirt carries more social relevance and a better constructed plot line than GONY. The Buffalo Bob scene alone blows half of Scorsese's tinsel-inflated diatribe away.

I certainly wouldn't put it in my top 25, but it was still a good movie rich with social relavence. Good acting, great characters, good music enhances the story, and excellent cinematography. It definatetly has flaws, but it's a lot better than some of the movies on that list: Forest Gump, Erin Brockovich, Phenomonon, Pretty Woman, CONTACT, Silverado, Dave, Flashdance, Free Wiley, and Geronimo to name a few.
I can't believe I forgot the movie you referenced. "The Silence of the Lambs"....what a fantastic film. One of the greatest characters in cinama history...Hannibal Lector.

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
There are a lot of good movies on this list, and some duds.

-"Amadeus" should be on this list ahead of "Immortal Beloved"

One movie you won't see on many rankings is a German film called "Downfall". It was nominated for best foreign film, and IMHO, if it were in English, it would have won 'Best Picture' hands down.
This movie is OUTSTANDING in many ways. It's in German, with subtitiles, which I usually hate, but that doesn't matter once you start watching. The story is all about the last few weeks in Hitler's bunker during the battle of Berlin, basically the fall of the Third Rheich. The story is haunting and mezmorizing. The acting is phenominal, I can't think of a better acted movie. The cinematography is incredible. The characters are rich and superbly developed. If you're a fan of quality, original, powerful cinema, you'll love this movie. I can't recommend it enough.
A Warning: If you think movies should always be safe like predictable romantic comedies, or happy where the hero always kicks ass at the end to save everybody, then you probably won't like it.

Kick ass post ahaha...

I may have seen that movie "Downfall"... although there are a few out there on the final days of Adolph Hitler.

"Amadeus" should be on this list ahead of "Immortal Beloved"
-Where was "Platoon", "Good Fellas", "Pulp Fiction", "Gangs of New York", and "Cold Mountain"? " ahaha

YES... I really enjoyed all of your choices ahaha.

Platoon was amazing and I loved the feel of its opening. The madness that possessed the soldiers and the play of the rivary between the good guy Sargent Elias ( Willem Dafoe ) and the bad Dude Sargent played by Tom Beringer was excellent.

ahaha? Did you see the War movie... I believe it was called " Beaches " a Movie with amazin feel for the reality of a assault on a Japanese bunker at the top of a hill and the following push to take the Japanese encampment. I loved this film. Nick Nolte plays the role of the possessed Officer in charge of his Marines raid and the cast featured many fine actors but the star was new to me and havn't seen him since.

He played the role of a deserter. The imagry in this movie makes it worth seeing as the feel is outstanding but the pace may bother some as real as that was also.

So lets change this up a wee bit and answer the question. What fine movies that YOU really loved, are missing from that original long list?

You may of course , include any from the long and the short list in a TOP FIVE.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2006, 02:06 PM
My favorites from this list:

Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
To Kill A Mockingbird
Good Will Hunting
Gladiator
On Golden Pond
Kramer vs. Kramer
Tombstone
Hoosiers
The Prince Of Tides

Fargo was good the first couple of times I saw it.

I remember Midnight Express being good, but I haven't seen since I was a kid.

MadtownPacker
10-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Dont dog on Forrest, thats a good flick.

Anyone here seen American Me? It is a prison movie, starring Edward James Olmos.

Speaking of prison movies, The Shawshank Redemption for sure.

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Some classics:

Miracle
This Is Spinal Tap
The Royal Tenenbaums
Life As A House
Gladiator

Hi Partial:

What was it that grabbed you in " The Royal Tenenbaums "?

That was heavy drama as I recall it, Partial.

Anyone :

Have any of you seen " Life is Beautiful" ?? 4++ (Roberto Benigni _

A truly wonderful movie. Unlike any other movie you will ever see. The only movie I've ever seen which successfully changes gears in midstream. Benigni's performance is incredible. One of the alltime greatest endings.

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 02:27 PM

DAM !

So there is a Movie called Joe Dirt.

I never heard of it... unless that was the one I saw starring Johnny Depp and I forgot the title.

I'm going to have to do a search for that Mad and Skinbasket.

Partial
10-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Some classics:

Miracle
This Is Spinal Tap
The Royal Tenenbaums
Life As A House
Gladiator

Hi Partial:

What was it that grabbed you in " The Royal Tenenbaums "?

That was heavy drama as I recall it, Partial.

Anyone :

Have any of you seen " Life is Beautiful" ?? 4++ (Roberto Benigni _

A truly wonderful movie. Unlike any other movie you will ever see. The only movie I've ever seen which successfully changes gears in midstream. Benigni's performance is incredible. One of the alltime greatest endings.

I enjoyed life is beautiful as well! I liked the Royal Tenenbaums because it is ridiculously funny in a subtle way. It has so many crazy situations that you just have to laugh!

Partial
10-05-2006, 02:32 PM

Anyone here seen American Me? It is a prison movie, starring Edward James Olmos.

Shawshank is a classic, I cannot believe I left that off my list!

MadtownPacker
10-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Damn Woody, I thought you where joking. Yes it is called Joe Dirt, starring . Even gots C. Walken in it. Watch it!

http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/contentImages/reviews/joe_dirt.jpg

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 02:58 PM
My favorites from this list:

Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
To Kill A Mockingbird
Good Will Hunting
Gladiator
On Golden Pond
Kramer vs. Kramer
Tombstone
Hoosiers
The Prince Of Tides

Fargo was good the first couple of times I saw it.

I remember Midnight Express being good, but I haven't seen since I was a kid.

" Prince Of Tides , Fargo was good the first couple of times I saw it. I remember Midnight Express being good " Harvey

Now were talking movies that were on my short list fron that long list of recommended films.

Prince of Tides blew me away and I had a class of mine actually watch this film and I gave them an assignment on it. I seldom loose any tears at a movie"the ending of ET got me" haha, as I saw it in the theater the second time around

but that movie Prince of Tides and Nick Noolte's performance along with Barbara Streisand just totaled me. I didn't have enough kleenex and I have never been able to understand my emotions watching this movie ( no I was fortunate to never be abused by any Family member , the City was tough) except I like Nick Nolte in this role, a different role for him.

I felt that he deserved the Academy award for BEST Actor over Warren Beatty (Bugsy) although Beatty was v. good too. I recall that I saw Bugsy and the next week The Prince Of Tides" and I absolutely loved The Prince...

Fargo. DAM..I still LOVE this film. It's way too funny. An excellent Black Comedy and none of those fellas should have ever turned to crime.

If YOU liked that Harvey... I recommend the movie starring Will Patton and Billy Bob Thornton called " A simple Plan" solid 3/5 *'s but a good story line and twisty ,as I recall.

What would YOU do if YOU found yourself in that position?

also on that fella Billy Bob:

I highly recommend Billy Bob Thornton's movie Sling Blade.

To me Billy Bob Thornton is rather unique and is to (male) actors as Barbara Hershey (who I love) is to actress's.

This one makes my top five as I don't go for the mainstream movies even though I certinly appreciate their good to greatness. It may be dificult to get a tape of it in top shape but it may be avail. and redone on DVD but the film...

The Midnight Express was wildly impressive to me. DAM ! That movie blew me away. I want to see it again... now!!! :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
10-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I haven't seen Midnight Express, but I have seen Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Nice NO flick...

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 03:17 PM

I have to disagree on Forrest Gump also.

I think anyone who didn't enjoy it the first time around maybe deserves to see it a second time. Certainly a fine Tom Hanks performance.

OK I'll come out of my fav. movie closet and it's in your post Mad.

The Shawshank Redemption is one kick ass film. I was absolutely tossed by that fine fine movie. If someone didn't enjoy this wonderful film achievement, I again would recommend a second time around. Maybe my fav. film ALL Time and I've seen 3K- 4K Movies (I estimate).

pacfan
10-05-2006, 03:36 PM
My contributions I would add that aren't listed:

Hamburger Hill: being a combat vet, this story reminds me of the trash talking/comaraderie we had among ourselves in our platoon. The scene about the mash potatoes was dead-on accurate.

Dances with Wolves: being an Indian, this was the first mainstream movie that showed Indians to be more than just stereotypical savages speaking in broken english.

other great movies that are listed:

Godfather: "he made him an offer he couldn't refuse"

Shawshank: "get busy living or get busy dieing"

Good Will Hunting: "how do you like dem apples?"

Braveheart: "Well, we didn't get dressed up for nothing."

CyclonePackFan
10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
What are your five (5) choices on the original Link's long list of recommended movies?

Honestly, I haven't seen most of those. I've always had way too much HW to do to spend a lot of time watching movies. I've probably seen 8 movies in a theater (SoaP, Star Wars I, II, and III, Spiderman I and II, SWAT, Saw II (last two were dollar theatre)) in the past 4 years, and I don't have time to rent...maybe this spring when I'm working again.

Now that my excuses are out of the way, on to your question

Green Mile and Forrest Gump were pretty good...

To Kill a Mockingbird and Hunt for Red October were good movies that still don't do their books justice (It's hard to do a movie of any Clancy book, he relies on inner-monologue too much)

Mr. Holland's Opus, Gladiator, both good

Apollo 13 was a PHENOMINAL movie. Tom Hanks is a space nut (any man who sees a statue of Tsiolkofsky in Russia and knows immediately who it is and what he did has to be), and he does Lovell justice. I've met a lot of the people portrayed in that movie, Chris Kraft, Gene Krantz (Ed Harris), Sy Liebergot (bald guy with the huge glasses, he was EECOM for that mission), I've sat in the Flight Director's chair in the Apollo Mission Control room and listened to both Krantz and Liebergot narrate the events of that mission, I've also had the priviledge of watching Apollo 13 in the Apollo Mission Control room, where it all happened, which REALLY is an indescribable experience

Braveheart - one of my personal favorites

Every small-town athlete has to have watched Hoosiers (also Rudy)

I'm actually probably going to start watching a lot of movies on this list.

Other favorites off the top 15: Silence of the Lambs, Dances with Wolves, Shawshank Redemption (I've seen that movie so many times, a friend was watching it last week and sent me an AIM message with a quote, which I responded to with the next 20 lines in the movie)

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Damn Woody, I thought you where joking. Yes it is called Joe Dirt, starring . Even gots C. Walken in it. Watch it!

http://www.musicfromthemovies.com/contentImages/reviews/joe_dirt.jpg

I'm busting up here Mad.

I never heard of that movie till today ( I thought you were kidding me,hahahaha). but I do recall seeing that poster, somewhere.

:mrgreen: X 10 !!!

pacfan
10-05-2006, 03:48 PM
anybody remember Vision Quest with Matthew Modine? That was a good flick.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I felt that he deserved the Academy award for BEST Actor over Warren Beatty (Bugsy) although Beatty was v. good too. I recall that I saw Bugsy and the next week The Prince Of Tides" and I absolutely loved The Prince...

I agree. I've always liked Nick Nolte and the films his in, but this one was his best. Very underrated. I would have given him an Oscar also. I don't have a lot of respect for them anyways, so who cares. I even liked Streisand, and I normally can't stand her.

I highly recommend Billy Bob Thornton's movie Sling Blade.

Also a very good movie.

The Midnight Express was wildly impressive to me. DAM ! That movie blew me away. I want to see it again... now!!! :mrgreen:

I'd like to see it again--now that I'm older.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2006, 04:05 PM
The Shawshank Redemption is one kick ass film. I was absolutely tossed by that fine fine movie. If someone didn't enjoy this wonderful film achievement, I again would recommend a second time around. Maybe my fav. film ALL Time and I've seen 3K- 4K Movies (I estimate).

GREAT movie. One of only two films that I've gone and watched by myself at the theatre. It was so good that I watched it a second time alone at the theatre.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Dances with Wolves: being an Indian, this was the first mainstream movie that showed Indians to be more than just stereotypical savages speaking in broken english.

Another great one. I grew up in North Dakota, so it's one of the few movies that shows scenery that I'm very familiar with. As a North Dakota, American Indian history is something we were taught a lot about (or at least it was when I went to school), so I found the story fascinating.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Other movies I liked include:

Shane, Star Wars, The Passion Of The Christ, Lord Of The Rings, The Godfather, A Beautiful Mind, Casablanca, Pulp Fiction, The Shining, Goodfellas, The Silence Of THe Lambs

Some lesser known films that I really liked include:

The World According To Garp, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Swingers, Before Sunrise, Heaven And Earth, Diner, City Of Joy, and Amelie.

GrnBay007
10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I loved Dances With Wolves. Great story and beautiful scenery. I like Kevin Costner a lot. Anyone see one of his from the 90's called Revenge? That was a good movie he was in with Madeleine Stowe.

woodbuck27
10-05-2006, 08:06 PM
I loved Dances With Wolves. Great story and beautiful scenery. I like Kevin Costner a lot. Anyone see one of his from the 90's called Revenge? That was a good movie he was in with Madeleine Stowe.

Revenge mmmm. a very decent movie:

A Review:

The opening is a spectacular jet flight complemented with breathtaking scenery and spine-tingling soundtrack.

Two strong-willed men, Jay Cochran and Tibbey Mendez befriend, but their friendship won't last.

Their different worlds collide when Jay Cochran falls in love with Tibbey's wife, Mireya. Mireya Mendez is involved in a marriage from hell . She is kept in a "golden cage" and treated like a commodity by her tyrannical husband Tibbey. She isn't allowed to like or dislike anything; she must do as she is told; she must have no dreams; she longs for a child but her husband is selfish and can't be bothered with children.

Mireya pays with her life for the right to love, be loved and to be treated as an equal. Cochran pays a high price too. He nearly dies after a cruel beating, which is his punishment from Tibbey.

There's lots of humanity in this story:

A man finds a stranger, unconscious and dying, takes him to his home and nurses him until he is back on his feet; then the poor loner dies in the middle of nowhere and is buried by his new travel companion, who happened to be the caring Jay Cochran.

There is burning passion and tender loving between Cochran and Mireya. The love scenes are really special , not exploitive to boost the film's marketability.

The music score is magnificent and cinematography, outstanding.

A trio of great talents, Kevin Costner, Anthony Quinn and Madeleine Stowe delight with brilliant performances. The final scene is almost silent, yet so powerful that it was mind blowing !

The end affirms that Revenge is not about violence and adultery. Forgiveness is asked for and given. Jay Cochran finds Mireya in a convent. Dressed in white and under the angelic light coming through the window blending with gentle candlelight, Mireya looks pure. Cochran is just on time for their final "I love you's", then...

she dies in his arms. In Jay Cochran's eyes, immense sorrow, pain beyond belief and great love - selfless and REVERENT!

Reverent as the convent itself, reaching for the sky and embraced by a majestic sun-drenched mountain top.

Kevin Costner's portrayal of Cochran's emotional turmoil is exceptional. Occasionally the Academy awards go to the right people, but arguably not this time.

Are you a hopeless romantic? If so, maybe you'll enjoy this movie alot?There are not enough stars in the sky for the LOVE for Jay and Mireya.

This powerful erotic drama is a powerful achievement and deserves acclamation!

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2006, 08:28 PM
A lot of people don't like Costner. He doesn't have much range. He's good at playing the one character, but he's had some good movies. Kinda like John Wayne.

I liked The Upside Of Anger too.

BallHawk
10-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Anything by Akira Kurosawa is great, except for his late work, excluding Rashamon.

Amadeus was fantastic

Fantasia is great. Fantastic music.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind was a great movie.

Inside Man is one of my favorites

BallHawk
10-05-2006, 08:35 PM
And this, IMO, is one of the best comedies of all-time...

http://www.wunderkraut.com/art/gw_bs_01.jpg

digitaldean
10-05-2006, 09:07 PM
My top 5:

Casablanca (Numero Uno) - Claude Rains and Bogart are brilliant
Godfather Trilogy (Like #1 the best)
Saving Private Ryan
Braveheart
The Adventures of Robin Hood (great Errol Flynn flick)

Ones that don't quite make it but are still worthy:
The Last Samurai
The Longest Day

Iron Mike
10-05-2006, 10:39 PM
http://www.slap-shot.com/Foilc.jpg

Ned Braden: What are you doing?
Jeff Hanson: Puttin' on the foil!
Steve Hanson: Every game!
Jack Hanson: Want some?

Guiness
10-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Love the reference Iron Mike. People always look at me funny when I say "I'm trying to listen to the song!!!"

Guiness
10-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Quite the list - hit most of my favorites. Top few I'd note:

Shawshank Redemption - simply fabulous.

I'm a bit of a sucker for frame stories - so All the Usual Suspects gets a vote from me.

Deer Hunter. Hard to describe.

Lastly, I like Hanks, and it's hard to pick out any one of his off the list. Since Bachelor Party isn't there, I'll go with Forrest Gump.

Honorable mentions for Tombstone and Driving Miss Daisy. Great acting in both.

Haven't seen Slingblade - I definitely will now.

As a non-list nominee, I have to say I'm disappointed Pulp Fiction isn't on the list.

I'm surprised so many of you liked Braveheart. I guess the movie just pissed me of because it was such a ridiculout re-write of history. It would be akin to someone making a movie about how the Bears won Super Bowl I. Yes, that bad :shock: Watch Rob Roy instead.

Guiness
10-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Joe Dirt - David Spade, a life story. Funny, none of his stuff is on the list. Polly Shore either.

:lol:

ahaha
10-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm surprised so many of you liked Braveheart. I guess the movie just pissed me of because it was such a ridiculout re-write of history. It would be akin to someone making a movie about how the Bears won Super Bowl I. Yes, that bad :shock: Watch Rob Roy instead.

You have to take any movie based on historical events with a grain of salt. It's impossible to recreate history completely in a movie. Although Braveheart is guilty more than others(The battle of Sterling Bridge and no bridge in the movie version). If you can put that aside, this movie is fantastic. I do like "Rob Roy", but it's not in the class of "Braveheart". I must say that I can't stand Mel Gibson these days. He's gone off the deep end, and his movie "The Passion of the Christ" was a real stinker. But I still love "Braveheart".

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2006, 12:27 AM

Revenge...c'mon. Mediocre at best.

GrnBay007
10-06-2006, 12:30 AM

oh c'mon....lil romance, lil violence, nice looking costner....what else could you possibly be looking for?? :cool:

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2006, 12:37 AM

I HATE Forrest Gump for the message it sends. Atrocious.

I've seen American Me. Good flick. Olmos is good in just about everything.

Godfather I and II are tremendous. The third is a joke.

I'd put up Bladerunner against any flick. Lion in the Winter is great.

Other great movies:

Kelly's Heroes (Donald Sutherland as a Cali neo-hippy is hilarious)
Strange Days (good sci fi is so rare)
Lawrence of Arabia (o'toole is almost always great)
You Can Count on Me (career making role for Mark Ruffalo, and Matthew Broderick is great)
Election (Payne is a great writer/director)
American Movie (if you are from wisco this is a must)
Best in Show
Waiting for Guffman
City of God (this is one of the best movies i've ever seen. It is foreign, but if you like multiple story lines, gangsters, and violence you must see it)
Delicatessen
City of Lost Children
Once upon a time in America

To many more to list.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2006, 12:41 AM

oh c'mon....lil romance, lil violence, nice looking costner....what else could you possibly be looking for?? :cool:

A decent movie. I LOVE Stowe and believe me it is hard to pan this one, but I think it truly blew. It was a major flop at the time.

I'd much rather watch True Romance if i'm gonna see a Tony Scott flick. Or even a Man on Fire.

Kostner doesn't do much for me as a Crack Head. I do enjoy him mostly in romantic comedies like Bull Durham and Tin Cup. Sometimes me and Ms. Bigguns like to smoke some rocks and go down to the blockbuster and steal a copy of Tin Cup. Doesn't help cause we still gotta steal a dvd player. But, it does count as a "shared activity."

GrnBay007
10-06-2006, 12:54 AM
But, it does count as a "shared activity."

Hey, sharing is good!

I never said anything about true romance.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2006, 01:13 AM

Hey, sharing is good!

True Romance is a movie written by Tarantino but directed by Scott. Stars everybody...Slater, Arquette, Oldman, Val Kilmer, Pitt, Dennis Hopper, Walken, Bronson Pinchot, Sam Jackson, Tom Sizemore, Gandolfini, et.

If you wanna lil violence, lil romance, et. THIS you must see.

superfan
10-06-2006, 01:46 AM

Hey, sharing is good!

True Romance is a movie written by Tarantino but directed by Scott. Stars everybody...Slater, Arquette, Oldman, Val Kilmer, Pitt, Dennis Hopper, Walken, Bronson Pinchot, Sam Jackson, Tom Sizemore, Gandolfini, et.

If you wanna lil violence, lil romance, et. THIS you must see.

True Romance is one of my all time favorite movies. One of the best movie lines ever is in this movie (Walken spoken to Hopper):

"When you die, tell the angels in heaven you've never seen evil so singularly personified as in the face of the man who killed you."

My favorites are pretty well covered in this thread -- Usual Suspects, Shawshank Redemption, Blade Runner, Hoosiers, Skin's fave ("Hello, Clarice"), and of course... Tombstone.

Also agree on Strange Days. A couple other good scifi movies are Dark City and Fifth Element.

Others I would add that are a little off the radar -- Ronin, The Game, New Jack City, Carlito's Way, The Saint, The Transporter. Not all of these are necessarily great movies, just personal favorites and highly recommended.

woodbuck27
10-06-2006, 01:47 AM
quotes by "Guiness"

"Deer Hunter. Hard to describe."

woodbuck27:

How about this? An Epic work of movie making with Robert DiNero and Christopher Walken at or close to their BEST. Some would be a tad dragged down by it's length but it's a wonderful movie all so Darn good.

Pretty much all about...The Boys!

"Honorable mention: Driving Miss Daisy "

woodbuck27: Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman are suberb here.

I like Mogan Freeman in anything. Ahhhh errrr, in any movie. :mrgreen:

Haven't seen Slingblade - I definitely will now.

woodbuck27:

Acting acting acting by Billy Bob Thornton. Suberb film from a standpoint of a character study and you'll hate Country Singer - Dwight Yokum who plays the villian as he's effective in his role. I was surprised that DY would do that well.

I hope you enjoy Sling Blade Guiness.

As a non-list nominee, I have to say I'm disappointed Pulp Fiction isn't on the list.

The more I see this movie the better it gets. Different and a V. good movie.Over the top too many solisd scenes. John Travolta,Samuel l. Jackson and Uma Thurman...what not to like?

Everybody. If it threw you down the first time... try it again.

"I'm surprised so many of you liked Braveheart. I guess the movie just pissed me of because it was such a ridiculout re-write of history. It would be akin to someone making a movie about how the Bears won Super Bowl I. Yes, that bad :shock: Watch Rob Roy instead."

:idea: Oh Oh! Not a Canadian... with an English background?

You didn't enjoy "the action" Guiness? :mrgreen:

Rob Roy is "the real shit". I really dug that movie. I really like Jessica Lange too. The final sword fight is too good. Excellent movie.

Noone mentioned Apocalyse Now. Martin Sheen and eventually we get a taste of Marlon Brando and his madness. The famous helicopter scene is etched in my grey matter.

I must have seen close to every Vitnam War movie ever made. There's a whack of them.

Iron Mike
10-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Love the reference Iron Mike. People always look at me funny when I say "I'm trying to listen to the song!!!"

Heh heh heh heh heh.......... :lol:

http://www.slap-shot.com/Hansons35c.jpg

Iron Mike
10-06-2006, 07:10 AM

Mark Borchardt: Do you think this is a little bit cathartic for you?
Mike Schank: Uh, very cathartic, Mark.
Mark Borchardt: Do you know what cathartic means?
Mike Schank: No.
http://a.movies.com/images/movies/a/AmericanMovie_1999.jpg

Iron Mike
10-06-2006, 07:14 AM
........how 'bout David Cronenberg's 1979 horror film "The Brood?"

http://www.horrorexpress.com/images/10%20-%20the%20brood-691.jpg

woodbuck27
10-06-2006, 09:03 AM
First off...Superfan and 100 Posts.

I was prowd of that milestone as well Superfan.

Congratulations Packer fan.

" My favorites are pretty well covered in this thread -- ++ Usual Suspects ++, Shawshank Redemption,*** Blade Runner, Hoosiers,

** Skin's fave ("Hello, Clarice")** ". . . . superfan

woodbuck27:

++ a very fine movie

** this movie " Hello Clarice "... I'm not familiar with it but have to check it out.

*** that movie is one fine early Sci-fi flick. Before it's time.

" Others I would add that are a little off the radar --[b]$$ Ronin, The Game $$, New Jack City, Carlito's Way, The Saint, The Transporter. Not all of these are necessarily great movies, just personal favorites and highly recommended. " superfan

woodbuck27:

$$ Really enjoyed both of these movies. The others, I havn't seen " The Transporter " sounds like a sequal to " The Fly ", which wasn't a bad movie and the rest are good as well.

I always say, if I'm going to invest 90 -120 minutes on a movie, then I'm DARN WELL...going to find something in that movie I can take away fr. it as being decent, maybe add to who I am.

Movies can be alot like reading good books. Educational and offer a certain perspective on some aspect of life, that puts us right there.

Now there are movies I actually had to give up on after an hours patient patience, but I don't involve myself in alot of discrimmination.

Yet... I'm somewhat fussy and see things a certain way. :mrgreen:

This has turned out being a solid thread that has opened my eyes to some new prospects for movies "this Winter".

Thanks PACKERRATS. :mrgreen:

Guiness
10-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Wow guys - fabulous thread. So many of my favorite movies listed here, and everytime someone mentions one, I say 'oh ya!'. And a lot of recommended ones I'm going to go see.

Kudos to Bucky for picking out the one everybody seemed to miss though; Apocolypse Now.

BTW No English backround here. But the funny thing is that I know a Scotish guy, and he laughed about the movie. Said the running joke in the UK is that the English won the battle and the war, but they won the movie! I understand revisionist history as it pertains to movies, but flat out changing the victor is ridiculous!

BTW Bigguns, you're WAY out of character!!! You should be pimping Barbershop :?

Woodbuck - Hello Clarice is the tagline from Silence of the Lambs. I always wanted to know what he said to the guy in the next cell to make him choke himself to death with his own tongue :shock:

Want a weird one? Anyone else actually sit through Dogsville? Almost unwatchable, art house style movie, but worth it. Disturbing.

ahaha
10-06-2006, 10:42 AM
BTW No English backround here. But the funny thing is that I know a Scotish guy, and he laughed about the movie. Said the running joke in the UK is that the English won the battle and the war, but they won the movie! I understand revisionist history as it pertains to movies, but flat out changing the victor is ridiculous!

The results in the movie were true. The Battle of Sterling Bridge was a huge success for William Wallace and the Scots. Wallace then lost at Falkirk, like the movie. He continued to raid England until he was caught and executed. Edward the Longshanks died on his way to Scotland and his son took over the army for the battle of Banekburn. Robert the Bruce and his Scots were outnumbered in this battle, but they won, keeping them independent for the next century. Robert the Bruce is Scottland's true hero.

superfan
10-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Woodbuck, thanks for the congrats. As Guinness said, "Hello Clarice" is a reference to Silence of the Lambs.

The Transporter doesn't have anything to do with The Fly. It's a movie starring Jason Statham -- not a name most people know, but people say "oh, that guy" when they see him. He's most known for Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. He was the driver in The Italian Job and the bad guy in Collateral. The Transporter is a decent action movie, not as good as Ronin IMO, but if you liked Ronin you will probably like it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293662/

pacfan
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
a list of some more good movies:

Mystery, Alaska: a sleepr hit for me.

Nobody's Fool: A Paul Newman fan

Rising Sun: this movie is a bit cliched, but I liked just the same

King Arthur (with Clive Owen): this version really made an impression on me

Untouchables: A shoot'em up movie, but I enjoyed Sean Connery's performance

The Long Riders: cool movie

A Few Good Men: "you can't handle the truth!!!"

woodbuck27
10-06-2006, 11:31 AM
" BTW No English backround here. But the funny thing is that I know a Scotish guy, and he laughed about the movie. Said the running joke in the UK is that the English won the battle and the war, but they won the movie! I understand revisionist history as it pertains to movies, but flat out changing the victor is ridiculous! " Guiness

OK your not of English extraction... many won't admit that (are you in denial?)

All the same. If you've you've been drinking Guiness for longer than 5 years... you don't turn into a pumpkin...rather "an Englishman" and then you start imagining that "the English" won every conflict down through history.

Be cautious Guiness. :razz:

I thought that my research when Braveheart came out, established "in Fact" that Braveheart was fairly accurate, but I won't stand by that without more research.

" Woodbuck - Hello Clarice is the tagline from Silence of the Lambs." Guiness

Duhhhh OK. :idea: Sometimes... I'm really slow.

I was wondering what ever attracted Skinbasket to a movie entitled "Hello Clarice".

Guiness ...you should have " let me fly ", on trying to find that movie...hahahaha !!

I'm sadistic like that....I love a practical joke as long as it's not on me.

Movie Trivia:

Few movies have ever won the five top Oscars:

Best Actor, Actress, Screenplay, Director, and Picture. "The Silence of the Lambs" is one of those movies.

Can anyone determine other movies where this was the case?

I always wanted to know what he said to the guy in the next cell to make him choke himself to death with his own tongue ...

I understand that Hannibal Lecter suggested to his jailhouse mate...

" eating out at McDonalds that evening and the poor fella had a MAC Attack. "Guiness,

but... it's just a rumor.

"Want a weird one? Anyone else actually sit through Dogsville? Almost unwatchable, art house style movie, but worth it. Disturbing. " Guiness

So Dogsville's... the Pitsville?

There is another movie I never heard of Guiness.

Have a Great Weekend. :mrgreen:

Guiness
10-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Ok ahaha, you likely know more about it than I do - it's been a while since I took a look at it, and my memory is foggy.

The best, and possibly true, part of that movie is the insinuation that he was the father of the Queen's unborn child :D

Don't know the answer to your question Woodbuck. I do know that Patton won five oscars, but they weren't the big ones. American Beauty won 5, Private Ryan did as well; but again, not all the big ones. Why do I know all this? *sigh* I'm not sure. I don't even really watch many movies!

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2006, 12:29 PM

Mark Borchardt: Do you think this is a little bit cathartic for you?
Mike Schank: Uh, very cathartic, Mark.
Mark Borchardt: Do you know what cathartic means?
Mike Schank: No.
http://a.movies.com/images/movies/a/AmericanMovie_1999.jpg
Mike Schank: Here is what it think of lottery... It's like, when you play the lottery, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose... But it better than using drugs or alcohol - Because when you use drugs and alcohol, especially drugs, you always lose.

http://www.americanmovie.com/photoalbum/press_1/mike_licks.jpg

ahaha
10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Ok ahaha, you likely know more about it than I do - it's been a while since I took a look at it, and my memory is foggy.

The best, and possibly true, part of that movie is the insinuation that he was the father of the Queen's unborn child :D

Sorry, I'm quite a history nerd. :oops: And "Braveheart" is one of my favorite movies, so I had to defend it. You are right about "Braveheart", in that it is filled with historical inaccuracies. The problem is that we really don't know much about William Wallace. He won the battle of Sterling Bridge, lost the battle at Falkirk, he terrorized the English by leading small raids in to England, and he was caught and executed. That's about it. Nobody is even sure what family of Wallace's he came from. Most everything else is fiction used to enhance the story.
Another good historical movie that's almost completely untrue is "Gladiator".
I put these inaccuracies aside and realize what these movies are; myths and works of fiction based LOOSELY on history. Homer did the same with "The Iliad", and Shakespeare too with "Julius Ceasar" and "Anthony and Cleopatra".

Green Bud Packer
10-06-2006, 03:26 PM
i have to add "dead calm".nicloe kidman is young and hot.check it out.

MJZiggy
10-06-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't know if I'd call it epic or anything, but I liked Men in Black a lot...

GBRulz
10-06-2006, 05:32 PM

Wasn't Madonna in that??

BallHawk
10-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Murderball was a good movie.

GBRulz
10-06-2006, 05:41 PM
I didn't see anyone mention "The Green Mile". That is probably one of my favorites of all time.

My mind is having a blank right now....hope someone can help me out, but what was that movie from a couple years back with Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning, where he is a bodyguard for her? I LOVE that movie, just can't think of the damn name right now!

I'm also a huge fan of the old 80's comedies like "Police Academy", "Revenge of the Nerds", "Animal House", "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and of course, all the brat pack movies !!

EDIT: Nevermind, I remember the movie now, it's called "Man on Fire".

MJZiggy
10-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Man on Fire?

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Man on Fire?

It was in my post. LOL

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2006, 06:50 PM

Wasn't Madonna in that??

Madonna made a song for that. I think it was Crazy For You. I can't remember if she was in the movie though. Maybe a cameo. Coincidentally, that movie was filmed in Spokane. My Aunt used to live in a house next to the one where the film was shot. You can see her old house in the movie.

ahaha
10-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Some hilarious comedies that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Monty Python's The Holy Grail
Cheech&Chong's Up in Smoke
Half-Baked
South Park The Movie
Clerks
Tommy Boy
Happy Gilmore
There's Something About Mary
Blazing Saddles( although, someone posted a picture)
Anchorman

woodbuck27
10-06-2006, 09:29 PM
i have to add "dead calm".nicloe kidman is young and hot.check it out.

I have watched " Dead Calm " about.. 5 times... and I really enjoy the struggle bet. Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane. Intense movie.

mraynrand
10-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Some classics:

Miracle
This Is Spinal Tap
The Royal Tenenbaums
Life As A House
Gladiator

Partial:

I liked the Royals (especially the Tennis match with your avatar playing!), but Rushmore is so much better. In Royals (and the life Aquatic) you can feel the effort to make the characters quirky, whereas in Rushmore, it's completely natural. The character of Max Fisher has elements of your typical teenager coming of age, and yet he's one of the most completely unique characters in the history of film. And he's surrounded by a perfect cast of characters that bring out each of his flaws and talents. That's what makes Rushmore one of the best 10 films ever.

BallHawk
10-07-2006, 09:35 AM
Some hilarious comedies that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Blazing Saddles

It's just a hilarious movie. Gene Wilder, A Milwaukee native, was great in it and Cleavon Little was great, too. Mel Brooks made the movie that much better than just your regular comedy.

Another great comedy with Wilder in it, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, is Young Frankenstein. A very funny movie.

woodbuck27
10-09-2006, 12:42 AM
I just saw Ben Stlller and Robert DiNiero and a solid cast in Meet the Parents and loved it.

Other's I liked alot:

a) Weekend at Barneys. (Very funny)
b) Back To The Future
c) Planes, Trains And Automobiles (Excellent)
d) Ghostbusters
e) Ferris Bueller's Day Off (V.Good)
f) Being John Malcovitch
g) A Fish Called Wanda (Excellent)
h) Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
i) Get Shorty
j) Men In Black

One of the BEST is " Some Like It Hot ".