PDA

View Full Version : Rams vs. packers preview

GoPackGo
10-05-2006, 12:27 PM
courtesy of sporting news

Why To Watch

Two first-year coaches square off in this NFC matchup, but one coach is looking to the playoffs while the other is just looking to survive the season. Coach Scott Linehan has his Rams playing inspired football, but coach Mike McCarthy and his Packers are limping through the season.

The Packers are off to a troubled start, and "The Streak" could end Sunday. Quarterback Brett Favre has started 228 consecutive games, but he injured his shoulder and neck late in Monday’s loss at Philadelphia. Favre always shows the ability to bounce back and get ready to play, but the season is in dire straits. Do McCarthy, G.M. Ted Thompson and the medical staff have the guts to sit Favre and begin the Aaron Rodgers era?

Rams Keys For Success

1. Run up the middle. Running back Steven Jackson is a workhorse who can move the pile. He runs hard and tough. The Packers start smallish Cullen Jenkins and Rams castoff Ryan Pickett at defensive tackle, and middle linebacker Nick Barnett is light. The Rams should use former Pro Bowl guard Adam Timmerman to stalemate Pickett or Jenkins and have fullback Madison Hedgecock lead the way for Jackson through the center/guard gap and directly at Barnett.

2. Use Kevin Curtis to abuse the nickel back. The Packers' nickel and dime defenses are a mess. Nickel back Ahmad Carroll was cut Tuesday. Fourth-round pick Will Blackmon, if healthy, undrafted rookie Jarrett Bush, practice-squad promotion Patrick Dendy or some guy the Packers sign off the street this week will get the dreaded assignment of trying to stick with Curtis -- who would start for almost any other team. Good luck. Curtis should have a breakout game.

3. Use an up-tempo game plan. When playing on the road, especially a place as noisy as Lambeau Field, the Rams can take the crowd out of the game with a no-huddle offense and use wristbands and signals to call plays. Quarterback Marc Bulger is calm under pressure and can use hand gestures to get wide receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt on the same page. The Rams also can keep the Packers from substituting and wear down the young defense.

Packers Keys For Success

1. Start Rodgers. Blasphemy, you say. Favre is a future Hall of Famer, you say. That said, Favre showed countless times the past two seasons that he no longer is an elite quarterback. This is a young team and playing Rodgers now will allow it to build for the future. Rodgers might have thrown the same interceptions Favre did Monday at Philadelphia, but Favre has no future in Green Bay.

2. Feature wide receiver Greg Jennings. Jennings, a second-round pick this year, has had a big play or two in each game and already has surpassed Donald Driver as the team's go-to guy. By throwing deep to Jennings, the Packers can loosen up the defense and take advantage of the physical but slow cornerback Fakhir Brown. Jennings runs good routes, is tough at the line and tracks the ball well in the air. Deep throws will open up the intermediate passing game for others.

3. Blitz at will. The Packers have talent on defense but are young and undersized. To compensate, defensive coordinator Bob Sanders should employ an all-out blitzing game plan. Veteran cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris can hold up against Holt and Bruce, so the Packers should blitz Barnett and rookie A.J. Hawk up the middle against Rams center Richie Incognito.

Injuries at a glance

Rams injuries

10/4/06 Paul Smith RB Concussion Doubtful for Week 5
10/3/06 Pisa Tinoisamoa LB Elbow dislocation Will play through pain
9/11/06 Andy McCollum C Knee Out for the season

Packers injuries

10/4/06 Donald Lee TE Knee Questionable for Week 5
10/4/06 Donald Driver WR Hip/ribs Questionable for Week 5
10/4/06 Robert Ferguson WR Foot Doubtful for Week 5
10/4/06 Brett Favre QB Head/shoulder Probable for Week 5

» Full injury report

The Bottom Line

The Rams are solid, especially on offense, and will be too much for the Packers' raw defense. Favre and/or Rodgers will struggle against an aggressive Jim Haslett-choreographed defense, and the Rams will beat an NFC North opponent for the second consecutive week.

Pick: Rams 24, Packers 14

MadtownPacker
10-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Well they better win this one or hello top 5 pick. I like the matchup as far as O against their D but their O is gonna kill the Pack D now that Carroll is gone. :razz:

gbpackfan
10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
How does the NATIONAL media get so many facts messed up!

1. Favre's steak is not in jeopardy. He already said he was playing.

2. Corey Williams is the starter along side Pickett. It takes about 10 seconds to find that out.

3. Pickett was not castoff from the Rams. He was a UFA. They tried to resign him. What a dumb comment.

4. Start Rodgers? What a putz. Favre gives the Packers the best chance to win. If they beat the Rams, they play the Dophins and Cardinals after the break. Two games that we def. can win. Bringing our record to 4-3. It is not impossible. Difficult yes, but not impossible.

packers11
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
How does the NATIONAL media get so many facts messed up!

1. Favre's steak is not in jeopardy. He already said he was playing.

2. Corey Williams is the starter along side Pickett. It takes about 10 seconds to find that out.

3. Pickett was not castoff from the Rams. He was a UFA. They tried to resign him. What a dumb comment.

4. Start Rodgers? What a putz. Favre gives the Packers the best chance to win. If they beat the Rams, they play the Dophins and Cardinals after the break. Two games that we def. can win. Bringing our record to 4-3. It is not impossible. Difficult yes, but not impossible.

WOW ... I could of not said it any better......
National Media first off can't get thier facts straight......
Second of all I love to watch them jump on the Bandwagon, last week Favre was the hero for the national media, the offensive MVP....
They need some bipolar medicine to fix thier mood swings..

Kiwon
10-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Could someone from PackerRats volunteer to work at The Sporting News because almost any one of us could do better analysis than this article.

MJZiggy
10-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't volunteer for it, but SN could pay me handsomely... :cool:

Brando19
10-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre (head, stinger) practiced Thursday, Oct. 5 and appeared to throw without much discomfort. He is listed as probable for the Week 5 game.

This according to kffl.com
What a warrior!

gbpackfan
10-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Did anyone else catch that in my original post I wrote that Brett's STEAK wasn't in jeopardy. HA HA HA HA. I guess it isn't either, unless they resigned Gilbert Brown or Gravy Jackson without me hearing about it!!! :D

Brando19
10-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Did anyone else catch that in my original post I wrote that Brett's STEAK wasn't in jeopardy. HA HA HA HA. I guess it isn't either, unless they resigned Gilbert Brown or Gravy Jackson without me hearing about it!!! :D

LOL...I thought you were plugging Brett Favre's Steakhouse in Green Bay (Which I enjoyed).

packmac
10-06-2006, 07:31 AM
"...the Rams can take the crowd out of the game with a no-huddle offense and use wristbands and signals to call plays...."

Ahhhh but they forgot to mention that the Packer defense can take back control with wristbands of their own....Ha....

Merlin
10-06-2006, 08:24 AM
I think we all have the wrong jobs. They actually pay someone to write these anlysis'. It's too bad the guy doesn't get paid (or us for that matter) based on the accuracy of the reporting. I am thinking he would be in line for free cheese and we would be retired...

Bretsky
10-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I wouldn't volunteer for it, but SN could pay me handsomely... :cool:

I'll volunteer as long as I can give Ziggy a kickback to be my editor.

B

MJZiggy
10-06-2006, 09:49 AM
:oops:

MJZiggy
10-06-2006, 09:49 AM
double post :oops:

Murphy37
10-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Did anyone else have a problem with this......

"2. Feature wide receiver Greg Jennings. Jennings, a second-round pick this year, has had a big play or two in each game and already has surpassed Donald Driver as the team's go-to guy."

This may be true, but the defensive attention given to Driver has opened up things for Jennings. No offense to Jennings, I think he's gonna be the man. I just think that defenses are going to start keying in on him more now, and Drivers #'s will go up.

Chubbyhubby
10-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Although I think Favre is the "best chance for this team to win" I do think that Aarron Rodgers era should begin this season. I know I know I am going to get slammed for this however the Green Bay Packers did pick Aarron Rodgers with #1 selection with him(#24 overall) in 2004 for the replacement of Favre. Why not use him this year because basically this year is a gone anyway.

I am saying this use Rodgers in game 9 or 10 if they only have liike 3 or 4 wins by then. They need to get him ready. Favre is like GOD to most people but he is mortal and prone to make mistakes.