PDA

View Full Version : Reggie White

Brando19
10-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I just received the newest copy of the PackerReport magazine. In it is an article which lists the greatest Green Bay Packers of all time. Here is the top 10. 1) Reggie White 2) Brett Favre 3) Don Hutson 4) Bart Starr 5) Willie Davis 6) Herb Adderley 7) Ray Nitschke 8) Willie Wood 9) Forrest Gregg 10) Tony Canadeo
Does everyone agree that Reggie White was a better football player than Brett Favre? I believe Reggie's contribution was huge, but nothing like Brett Favre's.

Honorable mentions included Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Dave Robinson, Lynn Dickey, James Lofton, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston, Leroy Butler, Jim Ringo, Henry Jordan, Bob Skoronski, and John Brockington.

Partial
10-05-2006, 02:38 PM
i'd say it was equivalent on a every year basis, but Favre obviously has been here longer.

Franchise QB + Franchise DE = winner

packers11
10-05-2006, 02:43 PM
i'd say it was equivalent on a every year basis, but Favre obviously has been here longer.

Franchise QB + Franchise DE = winner

Franchise QB + Good defense = winner.... Tom brady road his defense on a couple of those superbowls, big ben did, ravens did, tampa did...

All you need to make sure is your QB doesnt make any big mistakes...

Boy do I feel bad for manning his superbowl window looks to be closing.... He had it all last year with the defense stepping up and E.J in the backfield :neutral:

jack's smirking revenge
10-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I definitely liked Reggie, but Favre deserves to be at the top of that list. Reggie had a great career with the Eagles before the Pack. Favre was a benchwarmer with the Falcons.

tyler

BooHoo
10-05-2006, 03:33 PM
That's a very hard question. It is difficult for me to even list the top 10 packers of all time. How do you measure the impact players have had over the years? The game has changed so much and we tend to forget the impact of players from years past. So, I have to take a pass on the question.

pacfan
10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
That's a very hard question. It is difficult for me to even list the top 10 packers of all time. How do you measure the impact players have had over the years? The game has changed so much and we tend to forget the impact of players from years past. So, I have to take a pass on the question.

me too, I agree.

CyclonePackFan
10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Reggie deserves to be on top of that list far more than Favre.

Don't forget, the signing of Reggie White was the single event that turned the Packers from a joke into a contender.

Favre was already there, but when Reggie came to town, all of a sudden Green Bay went from a little frost-bowl in Wisconsin to a place where Free Agents wanted to sign. Without Reggie White, there was no Keith Jackson, there was no Sean Jones, there was no Santana Dotson, there was no Seth Joyner, there was no Desmond Howard, and there would be no Super Bowl XXXI crown. As great of a QB as Favre was, he never would have won a Super Bowl if Reggie hadn't opened the door to free agency.

HarveyWallbangers
10-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Greatest players as a Packer would have Hutson #1, Favre #2.

Greatest players in their career would have Hutson #1, White #2, Favre #3.

Going by this ranking, Ted Hendricks should be on the list. He did play one year in Green Bay before a Hall of Fame career with Oakland.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-05-2006, 04:23 PM
I definitely liked Reggie, but Favre deserves to be at the top of that list. Reggie had a great career with the Eagles before the Pack. Favre was a benchwarmer with the Falcons.

tyler

Yep, Reggie wasn't just great with the pack, a matter of fact he was at least 30 before he even stated playing for us.

A great QB for 15 years > A great DE for only six.

Noodle
10-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm with Cyclone in that a strong case can be made for Reggie over Favre based on the leadership and cred that Reggie brought. But I also agree this is an impossible list to do with a team as storied as the Packers.

How can you say that a revolutionary player like Hutson isn't number 1?

How can you say that a founder and driving force for the team, as both a player and coach, Curly Lambeau, doesn't make the list?

You could maybe do something by eras, but straight up? No way.

jack's smirking revenge
10-05-2006, 04:27 PM

tyler

Yep, Reggie wasn't just great with the pack, a matter of fact he was at least 30 before he even stated playing for us.

A great QB for 15 years > A great DE for only six.

That's what I mean. Favre has spent roughly his whole career as a Packer. He has an unbeatable starting streak, will probably beat both the TD and INT record and countless others. Was MVP of the league numerous times. That's not to say that White is a slouch, but Favre has been the consistent thread of success for the Pack for over a decade.

I'd vote for White, if not for his attempt to extend his career in Carolina. :D

tyler

Willard
10-05-2006, 04:40 PM
IMO its not even close- #1 is Hutson

jack's smirking revenge
10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I will admit that its a hard discussion to have. I don't know as much as I should about the legends. Anyone care to educate those of us that are not as learned?

tyler

KYPack
10-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Greatest players as a Packer would have Hutson #1, Favre #2.

Greatest players in their career would have Hutson #1, White #2, Favre #3.

Going by this ranking, Ted Hendricks should be on the list. He did play one year in Green Bay before a Hall of Fame career with Oakland.

I knew HW would come in with a good historical perspective.

I'll come back with my own list that nobody will agree with, but it will stir some fun debate.

We are in a wilderness period, so fun debate is necessary.

We are the greatest franchise in NFL history, 12 championships, 3 in a row twice. 22 Hall of Famers. Debate is necessary.

BEARMAN
10-05-2006, 06:22 PM
#1 Reggie White, now that man had class ! I have the utmost respect for him. Only other time I cried for a nonfamily member passing, Mr. White and Mr. (sweetness) Payton. Them is good people right there.

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
The universe is twisting in upon itself. Not only do I agree with Bearman, but everything in his post is spelled correctly. :mrgreen:

BF4MVP
10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
IMO Favre is the greatest Packer of all-time, and Hornung is definitely among the top ten..

digitaldean
10-05-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm with Cyclone in that a strong case can be made for Reggie over Favre based on the leadership and cred that Reggie brought. But I also agree this is an impossible list to do with a team as storied as the Packers.

How can you say that a revolutionary player like Hutson isn't number 1?

How can you say that a founder and driving force for the team, as both a player and coach, Curly Lambeau, doesn't make the list?

You could maybe do something by eras, but straight up? No way.

I have to agree with Noodle.

I find it curious that with a lot of lists like these that the early players/coaches get short shrift.

No Curly Lambeau, no driving force to the early championships and no foundation laid for the tradition of the Packers.

I would have to rate Reggie and Brett as 1 and 1a. Neither have reached the top of the mountain without each other before or after their common time served in GB.

Reggie did help turn GB from being the place coaches threatened to trade guys to, to the place that free agents lined up to come to.

b bulldog
10-05-2006, 09:30 PM
i AGREE WITH Harv here, Hutson #1 overall and second can go in terms of total career or as a member of the Packers. Brett #2 in regards to with the team or Reggie #2 in regards to career.

GBRulz
10-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I'd vote for White, if not for his attempt to extend his career in Carolina. :D

tyler

HA! I was thinking the same thing! It's also hard for me to rank Reggie over Favre when directly relating to football. I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this, but I actually lost alot of respect for Reggie trying to use the Packers and the NFL to promote his religion and the rebuilding of his church in TN. The people of WI donated a huge amount of money....no church was rebuilt and no explanation was truthfully given. The people deserved better than that.

I do realize that has nothing to do with this article and I admit that I am biased because of reasons outside of football.

Favre is #1 in my book. I wasn't around to see any of the "legends" playing here, so that's my vote.

Noodle
10-05-2006, 10:36 PM
GB, if you had said anyone other than Favre, I would have contacted the mods and told them that a hacker had hijacked your account. I have to respect you consistency and loyalty.

Brando19
10-05-2006, 10:46 PM
My vote goes to Brett Favre as being the best Green Bay Packer to ever hit the field and definitely in the top 10 of all time in the NFL.

Brando19
10-06-2006, 06:11 PM
The same issue also lists a Green Bay Packer "Dream Team"...they have:
QB: Brett Favre FullBack: Jim Taylor HalfBack: Ahman Green WR: James Lofton and Don Hutson TE: Paul Coffman RT: Forrest Gregg RG: Jerry Kramer C: Jim Ringo LG: Gale Gillingham LT: Cal Hubbard K: Ryan Longwell DE: Reggie White and Willie Davis DT: Henry Jordan and Mike Michalske MLB: Ray Nitschke OLB: Dave Robinson and Bryce Paup CB: Herb Adderley and Willie Buchanon Safety: Leroy Butler Punter: Craig Hentrich Kick Returner: Desmond Howard Jack-Of-All-Trades: Paul Hornung Coach: Vince Lombardi General Manager: Ron Wolf

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2006, 06:59 PM
The only one I could argue with is Bryce Paup. He wasn't in Green Bay that long. Might as well have Ted Hendricks on there. I think Tim Harris had a better Packer career than Paup--even though I really liked Bryce and he continued to live in Green Bay throughout his career.

Can't we get Curly Lambeau on this team?

GBRulz
10-06-2006, 10:07 PM
GB, if you had said anyone other than Favre, I would have contacted the mods and told them that a hacker had hijacked your account. I have to respect you consistency and loyalty.

HA! Thanks for looking out for me, Noodle!

On the other hand, am I that predictable? :wink:

Tarlam!
10-08-2006, 05:51 AM
DE: Reggie White and Willie Davis DT: Henry Jordan and Mike Michalske MLB: Ray Nitschke OLB: Dave Robinson and Bryce Paup CB: Herb Adderley and Willie Buchanon Safety: Leroy Butler

Damn! Our Dream Team has a 10-man defense! Leroy is that good, he is two safeties in one! Damn, he must've been good!

Brando19
10-08-2006, 07:57 AM
DE: Reggie White and Willie Davis DT: Henry Jordan and Mike Michalske MLB: Ray Nitschke OLB: Dave Robinson and Bryce Paup CB: Herb Adderley and Willie Buchanon Safety: Leroy Butler

Damn! Our Dream Team has a 10-man defense! Leroy is that good, he is two safeties in one! Damn, he must've been good!

Oh yeah, I forgot to add the other one....Safety: Ahmad Carroll :lol:

Nah, that's all the book has listed. Maybe he was just that good!!!!!

Noodle
10-08-2006, 11:35 AM

HA! Thanks for looking out for me, Noodle!

On the other hand, am I that predictable? :wink:

Not predictable -- just truly, deeply, madly in love with No. 4. And for good reason.

Patler
10-08-2006, 11:44 AM
QB: Brett Favre FullBack: Jim Taylor HalfBack: Ahman Green WR: James Lofton and Don Hutson TE: Paul Coffman RT: Forrest Gregg RG: Jerry Kramer C: Jim Ringo LG: Gale Gillingham LT: Cal Hubbard K: Ryan Longwell DE: Reggie White and Willie Davis DT: Henry Jordan and Mike Michalske MLB: Ray Nitschke OLB: Dave Robinson and Bryce Paup CB: Herb Adderley and Willie Buchanon Safety: Leroy Butler Punter: Craig Hentrich Kick Returner: Desmond Howard Jack-Of-All-Trades: Paul Hornung Coach: Vince Lombardi General Manager: Ron Wolf

Hard to argue with that lineup, rounding out the defensive 11 with Willie Wood.

Can you imagine an offense having Sterling Sharpe as the #3 receiver and Paul Hornung as the third-down back? Or being able to give Jim Taylor a breather by putting in John Brockington? :D

FritzDontBlitz
10-08-2006, 12:05 PM
reggie should be #1. sure, everybody remembers him as the sack artist due to his incredible moves to shed blockers trying to block his path to the qb, but reggie was also great against the run game: he always stayed at home, he held the point and always forced the run play back to the inside where his help was. even in his waning years teams continued to gameplan for him every week, assigning two blockers to him on nearly every play and refusing to run to his side of the field most of the time.

i love favre bigtime, but does he really scare that many people anymore? certain defensive coaches have owned him (jim johnson of philly, for one) and he is notorious for playing like crap in domes. he will definitely go down as green bay's most prolific qb statwise, but he only got a shot at a super bowl because reggie signed on to lead a resurgent defense. if you notice, since the packers' d went into decline so has favre's chances for getting to the big game.

at the very worst i would have to say it is a tie, but because of leadership and inspiration the edge should go to reggie...