PDA

View Full Version : Robinson returns ready to contribute

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-05-2006, 11:14 PM
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 5, 2006

Green Bay - Back in town after his court appearance in Kirkland, Wash., Koren Robinson was sleep-deprived and drained emotionally Thursday but appreciative to have somewhere he needed to be. Idle time is the last thing he needs right now.

The troubled wide receiver still has another date in court and jail time to face later, but Robinson could deal with his personal mistakes by doing something healthy and productive, which was throw himself into practice with his Packers teammates and get ready for St. Louis.

"Exactly," he said after practice Thursday. "This keeps me motivated. This will keep me focused and happy, in a sense, and away from distractions and all that. That's a good thing."

Of all weeks, too. The Packers really need Robinson now. When they picked him up in Week 2, they were just window shopping, and not counting on him for much of anything.

But now third wide receiver Robert Ferguson has an injured foot and is probably not going to play Sunday against the Rams. The receiving corps is down to Donald Driver, who was banged up against Philadelphia, rookie Greg Jennings, inexperienced Ruvell Martin and Robinson.

"I'm good. I know the playbook, I know where I need to be; I know what I need to do," Robinson said. "And if I don't, if I have a lapse in memory, I know that Brett or Greg or Driver, they're going to help me out. But I feel like I'm ready to go. I'm comfortable. I just want to go out and make plays."

Robinson faces a critical juncture in his personal and professional life. His drinking problems and their consequences could end up distracting him from his football responsibilities and ruin perhaps his last chance in the National Football League. Or, having a purpose with his work and being in a supportive environment with the Packers could be the best thing for him.

Robinson was in municipal court Wednesday on a probation violation. Judge Robert McSeveney ordered Robinson to serve a 90-day jail sentence starting no later than Feb. 28.

The judge could have sent Robinson to jail immediately, but Robinson still hasn't resolved another case in Minnesota, one that resulted in the Washington probation violation charge. Robinson was arrested Aug. 16 in Mankato, Minn., and charged with six criminal counts, including two involving drunken driving. The court date for that case is Oct. 17. Robinson's team at the time, Minnesota, released him.

Robinson was on probation after he pleaded guilty to a drunken driving charge in May 2005 in Kirkland, but his five-year sentence was suspended on the condition that he abstain from alcohol and maintain a clean record. Robinson's team at the time, Seattle, eventually released him.

Now with one court date behind him, Robinson said there was a small sense of relief.

"It's not hanging over my head. Now I can go and play Seattle this year - we go out to Seattle - and not even worry about anything of that nature," Robinson said. "So that's taken care of. I know what I have to do and I'm ready to close another chapter in the whole ongoing process of my situation."

Asked if his court date went as he expected, Robinson said: "I really don't want to get into the details. I just basically want to talk about football. But I'm glad that it's over. That's all I can say. It closes a chapter and now I can just solely concentrate on football right now.

"I still have the whole thing going on in Minnesota, and we'll cross that path when we get (to) it. Now I'm back here and just trying to work hard. 'Fergie' is out this week so that's going to move me up to where I'm going to get more reps, more playing time. So I'm just ready to play football and help the team out."

Robinson said quarterback Brett Favre reached out to him and made him feel welcome immediately. They connected in Robinson's first practice, when Favre threw a pass to Robinson that was too high.

"I was, like, 'That's the last time you're ever going to overthrow me,' " Robinson said. "He was, like, 'All right, because I want to come to you. I know you can go down there and get the ball and make some plays. I'm looking for that.' I liked how that all started out, just trying to make it good."

If any of the receivers were holding their breath when they heard Robinson was joining the team, they have since been assured after seeing his ability.

"I was concerned," Jennings said. "I was, like, 'Please let this man be able to play.' Because we need him. He could help this offense out a great deal. We know that and I think he knows that.

"He's a great person. I'm not just saying that because he's my teammate now.

"I talked to him last week and I was, like, 'How in the world did you get into the trouble you got into?' You’ve got a guy as hungry as he is, he’s got a fresh start here, and he knows the game. He's a smart player and he is definitely a playmaker."

With three catches for 47 yards, he has also given a glimmer of hope with his limited role so far.

"He knows the offense pretty well. He's smart," Driver said. "It's not hard for him. Our plays are not that hard, believe it or not. He's been in the West Coast offense before so he can pick it up pretty easy."

Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski expects Robinson to be caught up with the offense even though Robinson wasn't here for any of the off-season work. The needs are clear for the touchdown-starved Packers.

"He stretches the field; he is pretty fast," Jagodzinski said. "He can make the tough catches you saw in Detroit."

Robinson said without football in his life, it would be even more difficult for him to deal with his jail sentence and court dates. He sounded grateful for the added responsibility from the Packers.

"(Football) is my passion, and I know how I feel when I don't have it, being released by the Vikings, being released by Seattle," Robinson said. "Not being on a team, that's a feeling that I don't want anybody that still wants to play to have.

"I know how it feels to be here one day and gone the next. You have to be thankful. You can't take anything for granted. Not one day - practicing or playing in the game or being with a team - I don't take that for granted."

Noodle
10-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Interesting read, especially the comments of Driver and Jennings. I'd read that Robinson was considered a good locker room guy on the other teams he played for, though Rastak would have better info than me.

I like that he's hungry and is not taking his opportunity for granted. And man could the Pack use a guy who can go vertical. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Freak Out
10-06-2006, 12:14 AM
It sounds like his problems have humbled him a bit and I think in his case that is a very good thing. He has to change his life or he has a very long road ahead of him.

GrnBay007
10-06-2006, 12:33 AM
welcome to Packer Rats Freak Out. Interesting name. :D

Freak Out
10-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks 007, 40th anniversary of the album this year and I'm a big Zappa fan as well as a big Packer fan.

Rastak
10-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Interesting read, especially the comments of Driver and Jennings. I'd read that Robinson was considered a good locker room guy on the other teams he played for, though Rastak would have better info than me.

I like that he's hungry and is not taking his opportunity for granted. And man could the Pack use a guy who can go vertical. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

He's a GREAT locker room guy. From everything I've read. He's also one of the biggest disappointments you'll meet. You'll find out about that later but I'm sure he'll be a popular guy in the locker room.

Rastak
10-06-2006, 07:10 AM
It sounds like his problems have humbled him a bit and I think in his case that is a very good thing. He has to change his life or he has a very long road ahead of him.

Yea, he was real humble last year when the Vikes signed him as he was walking out the door of a treatment center. He was very humble in training camp too. Did some interviews with the local media and I thought he was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. Then BAM.

On a side note, big Zappa fan here also. Talented guy if not a bit self centered and odd.

packmac
10-06-2006, 07:14 AM
"It's not hanging over my head. Now I can go and play Seattle this year - we go out to Seattle - and not even worry about anything of that nature," Robinson said. "So that's taken care of. I know what I have to do and I'm ready to close another chapter in the whole ongoing process of my situation."

This statement stuck out to me the most. I truly believe that Robinson can be successful here. His potential is unmistakable. The question is, are the packers the organization to help him turn his life around. When Reggie White was here guys kept their nose clean, Brett Favre went to therapy, and locker room attitudes were non-existent. Since Mark Chmura and Reggie's departure I haven't seen that same type of community. Glimpses, but enough to help a guy like K-Rob?

But I think it says a lot that this particular court date is behind him. Now he can use football as a means of therapy with one less thing weighing him down. He's far from out of the woods (obviously with another date in court and jail time to serve) but he's making progress.

This may be overly optimistic, but I Robinson has the ability to be a real playmaker on this team. McCarthy and Thomsom have eased him into the offense...there's no doubt in my mind that with Ferguson's injury...Robinson's day in court past...Packers desperately needing a player of some kind to step up and make plays...

This will be Robinson's week to shine.

And maybe...just maybe...a life...and a team...will be changed forever.

C'mon Packers.

Noodle
10-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Pacmac makes a good observation about the effect that Reggie had in the locker room. There were some hard cases on those teams, but guys seemed to stay straight, and I think you have to give Reggie a lot of the credit for that.

If only he were around now -- you can almost hear his hoarse voice bellowing, "K-Rob, K-Rob, we've got to get you right with the Lord. No more playin' with the devil, you're gettin' right with the Lord now."

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Krob is tons better fergie and I hope he can be a solid number three for us. We'll get to see this week what he can do, and hopefully he gets at least one deep ball because we have no one with that type of ability.

BTW, welcome to the forum Freak out.

GoPackGo
10-06-2006, 01:41 PM
The Packer Management should get Krob an apartment and give an underage intern the job of being Krobs roomate to keep him off of the sauce

Noodle
10-06-2006, 02:50 PM
The Packer Management should get Krob an apartment and give an underage intern the job of being Krobs roomate to keep him off of the sauce

Trading one problem for another, aren't you?

GoPackGo
10-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Trading one problem for another, aren't you?

no doubt

Brando19
10-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Rob Demovsky, of PackersNews.com, reports Green Bay Packers WR Koren Robinson will be elevated to the third wide receiver role for Week 5 since WR Robert Ferguson (foot) nursing a foot injury. "This is a real big opportunity for me," Robinson said earlier this week. "I'm looking to do something spectacular."
Something spectacular? I can't wait til Sunday!