PDA

View Full Version : Most Disappointing Movies

BallHawk
10-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I was going to post this in the movie thread, but I didn't want to get off-topic.

What's one of the dissapointing movies you've ever seen? A movie that was really hyped up and you were really looking foward to seeing and than it just totally blew?

One of mine is War of The Worlds, the newer one. It was hyped up a bunch and the special effects looked awesome, it was Speilburg so I expected it to be good, but then it just sucked. The acting was :neutral: and Dakota Fanning was :roll: . Just a bad movie.

SkinBasket
10-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Star Wars Ep II. I wasn't expecting much, but I've seen grade school plays with better acting / actor direction. I fell alseep during those too.

GBRulz
10-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Ocean's 12

all the "new" Star Wars movies. I grew up with the originals.... Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi...I didn't like the Episode I-II of the new ones...didn't bother seeing Epside III.

The Matrix sequels

Tyrone Bigguns
10-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Could be the first Star Trek movie. Waited so long for it. Long and boring.

Yet, Tyrone was oddly attracked to the bald chick, Persis Khambata (spelling?). Her bald head reminded me of a delicious ROCK.

SkinBasket
10-06-2006, 06:26 PM
all the "new" Star Wars movies. I grew up with the originals.... Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi...I didn't like the Episode I-II of the new ones...didn't bother seeing Epside III.

We just tried watching Ep III. After 20 minutes of asking each other WTF happened in the last one and generally talking about anything but the movie (I actually found myself looking the the trees outside instead of the show) we just turned it off.

And it's not like I'm picky. I'll watch some really bad movies. I even sat through some German "horror" movie about condoms with teeth and well... I'm sure you get the idea. So I think it says something for the direction the Star Wars franchise went when I couldn't even hold out longer than half an hour.

ahaha
10-06-2006, 06:39 PM
"Kingdom of Heaven". I was so pumped to see this. The Crusades. Religious fanatics on both sides feeding and motivating the war machine. The director of "Gladiator", Ridley Scott.
The first half of the movie was decent, but the last hour or so was complete trash. It focused almost completely on the worst character in the movie, the lead. Orlando Bloom was awful.

Some others I thought would be decent, but turned out to be big steaming piles of shit:

Pearl Harbor
The Passion of the Christ
Star Wars, The Phantom Menace
Ed Wood

justanotherpackfan
10-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Boat Trip. :mrgreen:

jack's smirking revenge
10-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Ocean's 12

The Matrix sequels

Agreed. ALL of the new Star Wars. I couldn't even finish "Episode III" and I dig action movies. Like Skin, I got 20 minutes into it and had to turn it off. Bad acting. Bad writing. Overblown special effects.

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2006, 06:57 PM
I liked Episode III--except the Lava scene. I also liked The Passion Of The Christ, but I'm also Christian, so it had more meaning to me.

I think it was better than Return Of The Jedi--which was by far the worst of the first three. George introduced Ewoks--which was kind of a prelude for what he tried to do in these last three movies.

ahaha
10-06-2006, 07:42 PM
I liked Episode III--except the Lava scene. I also liked The Passion Of The Christ, but I'm also Christian, so it had more meaning to me.

That's understandable, I have lots of Christian friends and relatives. Some loved it some didn't. I, as you probably know, am not religious anymore. However, I was looking forward to seeing it. I went to see it in the theatre. The story of Jesus' end has all the makings of good tradgedy. A young rebel with a large following, the politics of the Jews and Romans on what to do about this threat, and the best friend that betrayed him. It has all the elements for a ripping good story. But, this movie sped past all these interesting parts, and focused so much on Jesus' torture and crucifiction. Over half of the movie was Jesus taking a beating, that would have killed an elephant, and his crucifiction.

mraynrand
10-06-2006, 08:04 PM
I think I'm one of the few people who liked Ep I. of the new Star Wars. There were correctable flaws in that one that could have dramatically improved it. But II was worse and III was abysmal. Let's review the premise: You have a dream that your wife might die in child birth so you 1) Betray your best, lifelong friend (kenobi), 2) Kill your best fighting mentor (Windu), 3) Kill every Jedi-in-training child all because you 4) listened to some guy with a really bad argument (Palpatine). And in the end, you pretty much abandon your wife anyway.

Nothing in this series made much sense, all because of George Mucus' 'the emperor has no clothes' approach to leadership. The guy never delegated any decision-making, listened to no one else when casting, and helped write one of the most abysmal set of scripts known to man, all because he surrounded himself with talented firghtened rabbits. I loved script elements like: "I can't breath. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating."

I think Annakin described the viewing experience the best when he said: "if you are suffering as much as I am, PLEASE, tell me."

SkinBasket
10-06-2006, 08:06 PM
But, this movie sped past all these interesting parts, and focused so much on Jesus' torture and crucifiction. Over half of the movie was Jesus taking a beating, that would have killed an elephant, and his crucifiction.

I agree 200%.

His bearing of the cross was like what, 65 minutes of the movie? I get it, he suffered and died for our sins. But I can only watch the son of god carry a piece of wood for so long before i start clipping my toenails.

Am I going to go to hell for saying that?

K-town
10-06-2006, 08:07 PM
But, this movie sped past all these interesting parts, and focused so much on Jesus' torture and crucifiction. Over half of the movie was Jesus taking a beating, that would have killed an elephant, and his crucifiction.

I agree 200%.

His bearing of the cross was like what, 65 minutes of the movie? I get it, he suffered and died for our sins. But I can only watch the son of god carry a piece of wood for so long before i start clipping my toenails.

Am I going to go to hell for saying that?

Yes. But don't worry. I'm saving seats at the bar.

pacfan
10-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Godfather p. III

Tears of the Sun with Bruce Willis

Intolerable Cruelty with George Clooney

Life Aquatic with Bill Murray

digitaldean
10-06-2006, 08:13 PM
The absolute worst movie I ever saw was a Warren Beatty flick back in the 80s.

The movie was "Reds". It was to this day the only movie I ever walked out of.

I know it was critically acclaimed and all the drivel, but it stunk.

mraynrand
10-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I think it was better than Return Of The Jedi--which was by far the worst of the first three. George introduced Ewoks--

Little kids loved the Ewoks. Adults thought they were absurd, but in retrospect they had more personality than Annakin (Hayden version).
Episode VI had by far the best collection of pecial effects to date (1983), had some memorable characters (Jabba the Hutt and Salacious Crumb for example), and also had some good Jungian archetypes on display. Episode III had all the excitement of a statistics and probability assignment entitled: "how many different permutations of lightsword battles are possible?

HarveyWallbangers
10-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Movies that I apparently didn't like as much as most people:

Pirate Of The Caribbean
Spider-Man (loved the Super Hero, felt the movie was overrated)
Independence Day
Mission: Impossible
Anchorman
Ocean's Eleven/Ocean's Twelve
The Blair Witch Project
As Good As It Gets
Taxi Driver
Unforgiven
American Beauty
Face/Off
Chariots Of Fire
Citizen Kane
Almost Famous
The Graduate

Guiness
10-06-2006, 10:31 PM
A few sequels got me because I was expecting so much. Ocean Twelve, and Phatom Menace all into those catagories.

From Dusk Till Dawn - too much inconsistency for a Tarantino movie. It's not that it's a particularly bad movie, just doesn't compare with the rest of his stuff.

Some other just plain bad movie I had to see, primarily 'cause I was at friends houses and couldn't leave (please, can I do the dishes???)

Son of the Mask
From Justin to Kelly
Pokemon: The Movie. Pokemon: Mewto Returns (kids should not be subjected to these
Various Police Academy movies after the first one

Ok - and the big one.....

Manos: Hands of Fate

I like camp - but it was too much.

superfan
10-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Oceans 12 was certainly much worse than Oceans 11, but I can't call it disappointing because I saw it on video and had already heard the bad press about it, so expectations were low at that point.

Men in Black 2 was a big disappointment and a far cry from the original.

Daredevil didn't come close to meeting my low expectations.

I'm prepared to catch heat on this, but American Beauty was a big flop for me. Yeah, it won a bunch of awards, whatever. I disliked that movie from beginning to end.

I couldn't stand Cold Mountain or Legends of the Fall. And Boogie Nights.

woodbuck27
10-07-2006, 03:42 AM

That's understandable, I have lots of Christian friends and relatives. Some loved it some didn't. I, as you probably know, am not religious anymore. However, I was looking forward to seeing it. I went to see it in the theatre. The story of Jesus' end has all the makings of good tradgedy. A young rebel with a large following, the politics of the Jews and Romans on what to do about this threat, and the best friend that betrayed him. It has all the elements for a ripping good story. But, this movie sped past all these interesting parts, and focused so much on Jesus' torture and crucifiction. Over half of the movie was Jesus taking a beating, that would have killed an elephant, and his crucifiction.

I agree ahaha.

Mel Gibson went to overkill on the physical buse of JC and...

Wern't we going to get it at the end? So did we need it all the way through?

That movie shocked me and not alot goes there.

Some recent disappointing movies ( I will generally find something good to decent in a movie), but disappointing movies:

the obvious one after so much hype is the DaVinci Code, jeeessshhh!!

I'll toss in [b]Sin City (again too Violent) and how about...
" The New World yaaaawwwnn

"not for ... for suckin" badly?"

MJZiggy
10-07-2006, 09:45 AM
The new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Johnny looked more like Michael Jackson than Willy Wonka and that was just creepy.

Kiwon
10-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Hidalgo
The Village
Troy
Seabiscuit
Blade III

KYPack
10-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Anybody try to get thru "Alexander the Great"?

That's an endless movie, cause nobody has seen the end of it.

Zig, sorry Charlie and the Chocolate Factory didn't trip your trigger.

MJZiggy
10-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I loved the original and the book, though.

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Oceans 12 was certainly much worse than Oceans 11, but I can't call it disappointing because I saw it on video and had already heard the bad press about it, so expectations were low at that point.

Men in Black 2 was a big disappointment and a far cry from the original.

Daredevil didn't come close to meeting my low expectations.

I'm prepared to catch heat on this, but American Beauty was a big flop for me. Yeah, it won a bunch of awards, whatever. I disliked that movie from beginning to end.

I couldn't stand Cold Mountain or Legends of the Fall. And Boogie Nights.

I agree on American Beauty. The wife certainly liked Cold Mountain a lot more than me. I liked Boogie Nights, and I think I liked Legends Of The Fall (and A River Runs Through It) more than most people.

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Anybody try to get thru "Alexander the Great"?

That's an endless movie, cause nobody has seen the end of it.

Zig, sorry Charlie and the Chocolate Factory didn't trip your trigger.

That had to be the wrost movie I have ever seen! I wanted to throw my popcorn at the movie screen. The movie was just boring as hell.

jack's smirking revenge
10-07-2006, 01:46 PM
The new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Johnny looked more like Michael Jackson than Willy Wonka and that was just creepy.

I found it to be a great movie. Just about anything Tim Burton does works for me though. Love the detail and creativity. Try to figure out how they did the nut room. Sheer brilliance...

tyler

red
10-07-2006, 06:00 PM
alexander the great did suck, it was one of those movies where i wanted to walk out through the whole thing. instead i fell asleep

thank you for bringing up the village, they promoted this as some scary thriller, and it wasn't, it just sucked, really bad

for me the most upsetting were the 3 new star wars. episode 1 just sucked. it came out when i was in college, and me and all my friends were so pumped for it, the movie was packed, and it played. and when it was over everyone in the theater looked at each other with the WTF was that, face.

i will say IMO they got better as they went along, episode 2 was better then 1, and 3 better then 2. but the acting, mostly by the anniken fella, just was horrible. how the hell can he even get jobs? i would think if i drew a smiley face on my ass and walked around farting all my lines i could make a more believable character then what he threw out

KYPack
10-07-2006, 08:43 PM
alexander the great did suck, it was one of those movies where i wanted to walk out through the whole thing. instead i fell asleep

thank you for bringing up the village, they promoted this as some scary thriller, and it wasn't, it just sucked, really bad

for me the most upsetting were the 3 new star wars. episode 1 just sucked. it came out when i was in college, and me and all my friends were so pumped for it, the movie was packed, and it played. and when it was over everyone in the theater looked at each other with the WTF was that, face.

i will say IMO they got better as they went along, episode 2 was better then 1, and 3 better then 2. but the acting, mostly by the anniken fella, just was horrible. how the hell can he even get jobs? i would think if i drew a smiley face on my ass and walked around farting all my lines i could make a more believable character then what he threw out

Yeah.

it knocked me out that all the fabulous FX they did for the "second 3" dodn't seem like anything.

The original SW has special effects that you could duplicate with wires and paper mache, but it was totally believeable.

The new one had some many freakin' things flyin' around it looked like bullshit and was distracting.

The actors that were any good (Samuel L I'm thinking here) were like saddled by the goofy script.

The villans were 2D goofs and the heroes were like cigar store indians.

I thought it was bc I'm older now, til I talked to some you neighbors. They felt the same way I did.

Brando19
10-08-2006, 10:26 AM
I believe one of the best movies ever is Dumb and Dumber. I can watch it anytime. However, one of the worst movies ever is the sequel...or prequel...Dumb and Dumberer. It was just AWFUL!
Another Jim Carrey movie I love but it doesn't get alot of recognition is The Truman Show.

red
10-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I believe one of the best movies ever is Dumb and Dumber. I can watch it anytime. However, one of the worst movies ever is the sequel...or prequel...Dumb and Dumberer. It was just AWFUL!

i was thinking the exact same thing

they should have gotten jim carrey and jeff daniels to do those parts in the sequel

woodbuck27
10-09-2006, 01:02 AM
"HarveyWallbangers"

Movies that I apparently didn't like as much as most people:

Pirates Of The Caribbean
Spider-Man (loved the Super Hero, felt the movie was overrated)
Independence Day
Mission: Impossible
Anchorman
Ocean's Eleven/Ocean's Twelve
The Blair Witch Project
As Good As It Gets
Taxi Driver **
Unforgiven **
American Beauty
Face/Off
Chariots Of Fire
Citizen Kane (Some say BEST ever movie..not I... woodbuck27)
Almost Famous
The Graduate **

Harvey:

In my books ** these ** are very good movies.

haha...That's what makes the world spin. :mrgreen: