PDA

View Full Version : Bretsky babble!!

LEWCWA
10-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Whats up with all that babble on the front page Bretsky? What a damn homer! This staff is lost and here you are talking them up....Great we cut Carrol big damn deal...how bout getting rid of the guy ruining this defense! How can Collins look like a future probowl calibur saftey as a rookie and like a training camp body in his second season...this is pathetic and I can think of about 10 other guys needing to see the door! Preferably Ted and McCarthy first...they are in way over their heads!

retailguy
10-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Whats up with all that babble on the front page Bretsky? What a damn homer! This staff is lost and here you are talking them up....Great we cut Carrol big damn deal...how bout getting rid of the guy ruining this defense! How can Collins look like a future probowl calibur saftey as a rookie and like a training camp body in his second season...this is pathetic and I can think of about 10 other guys needing to see the door! Preferably Ted and McCarthy first...they are in way over their heads!

Ahhh. He's always been like that. Just humor him.

Bretsky
10-06-2006, 09:46 PM

Homer; yes. But I stand by my assertion that this GM and staff can admit they can make mistakes and cut the dead weight. In the past we didn't do that soon enough. That is a good sign.

I'm not fond of the DC or the secondary coach. Both may have been hiring mistakes, but it WAY too early to completely judge them. If things stay the same I can see changes made at the end of the year; it's OK to make mistakes as long as you learn from them and don't make them over and over.

B

B

Bretsky
10-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Also, it's WAY too easy to dwell on the negative right now. It was nice to attempt a piece with a postive spin.

B

Bretsky
10-06-2006, 09:49 PM
URL for NEWEST HOME PAGE ARTICLE FROM BE RE: PACKERS AND AHMAD CARROLL

http://www.packerrats.com/

BooHoo
10-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Nice article. Enjoyed the read.

MJZiggy
10-06-2006, 10:01 PM

That's what I thought. Make sure you go to the main webpage to rate it and there's a really nice piece there on Clifton as well.

BooHoo
10-06-2006, 10:07 PM

That's what I thought. Make sure you go to the main webpage to rate it and there's a really nice piece there on Clifton as well.

I will do that. Thanks Z.

Packnut
10-06-2006, 10:21 PM

Homer; yes. But I stand by my assertion that this GM and staff can admit they can make mistakes and cut the dead weight. In the past we didn't do that soon enough. That is a good sign.

I'm not fond of the DC or the secondary coach. Both may have been hiring mistakes, but it WAY too early to completely judge them. If things stay the same I can see changes made at the end of the year; it's OK to make mistakes as long as you learn from them and don't make them over and over.

B

B

That's where we totally disagree. It's NOT ok to make mistakes. These guys are getting paid a ton of cash to do a job and we as fans have the right to DEMAND that they do it right. Please explain to me why the Green Bay Packers should be the learning center for GM's and coaches?

LEWCWA
10-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Well Bretsky--You know I believe you have a good football mind, and being an optimistic homer isn't all bad, but I see a coaching staff in way over their heads. Also I don't need anymore time to evaluate Shott^&^&*(,
cause I have already seen his handy work! It wasn't impressive the first time and maybe worse the second time! He may know D inside and out, but he sure can't get anyone else to understand it!!!

Bretsky
10-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Well Bretsky--You know I believe you have a good football mind, and being an optimistic homer isn't all bad, but I see a coaching staff in way over their heads. Also I don't need anymore time to evaluate Shott^&^&*(,
cause I have already seen his handy work! It wasn't impressive the first time and maybe worse the second time! He may know D inside and out, but he sure can't get anyone else to understand it!!!

I won't disagree with a thing you said. I've hated Schott from day one. And I disliked the DC hire. I'm willing to give the latter more time though. Schott should have stayed in St Louis; I'm sure they were glad to see him go.

B

MadtownPacker
10-06-2006, 11:29 PM
I just dont see how TT feels canning Carroll out of the blue is gonna help. Seems like he discriminates against Sherm picks.

woodbuck27
10-07-2006, 03:14 AM
B.

You Editorial is honest...basically accurate from an observational standpoint.

I don't agree that Ahmad Carroll needed to be shown the door.

Not this week.We have way too much need.

I would have slammed him BIG TIME last Tuesday AM and any backtalk would have cost him another game on my bench if not in Civies.

Releasing him with the Crap we see in OUR Coaching is just plain wrong.

That messsage... wasn't the proper one IMO. The timing of Ahmad Carroll's release , based in too much else was bad.

Bretsky
10-07-2006, 06:26 AM
B.

You Editorial is honest...basically accurate from an observational standpoint.

I don't agree that Ahmad Carroll needed to be shown the door.

Not this week.We have way too much need.

I would have slammed him BIG TIME last Tuesday AM and any backtalk would have cost him another game on my bench if not in Civies.

Releasing him with the Crap we see in OUR Coaching is just plain wrong.

That messsage... wasn't the proper one IMO. The timing of Ahmad Carroll's release , based in too much else was bad.

We can look at this another way. Ahmad Carroll wasn't going to be a player. If he clearly is not develping the ball skills necessary to get the job done, we should have attempted to trade him when he had some value.

But Carroll's issues IMO were just as much above the shoulders as they were his ability. The lack of maturity made it harder for him to grow, and he already lacked a key CB skill. That's why I have no problems with this move as well.

B

Bretsky
10-07-2006, 06:33 AM

B

B

That's where we totally disagree. It's NOT ok to make mistakes. These guys are getting paid a ton of cash to do a job and we as fans have the right to DEMAND that they do it right. Please explain to me why the Green Bay Packers should be the learning center for GM's and coaches?

WELL THEY SHOULD NOT, and TT is trying to improve the ship.

His first project of getting rid of Sherman draft rejects is almost complete.
Now he's trying to bring in his own boyz. And if you've witnessed my views you know I rate TT VERY low as a GM in terms of utilizing free agency money, but he looks at least alright with the draft so far and I'm willing to watch how things progress before throwing him under the train.

But the reality is these GM's, even the best of them, do make mistakes and will continue to do so.

One of the important skills (like Ron Wolf with Joey Jamison as well) is being able to admit you made one and move on.

B

Joemailman
10-07-2006, 06:33 AM

B

B

So based on your thinking, we should have gotten rid of Ron Wolf because he wasted an early 1st round pick on Terrell Buckley. I think that was a mistake. Big time. Or maybe we should have gotten rid of Holmgren after he got pasted by a bad Tampa Bay team in week 2. It was quite obvious he was in over his head. :roll:

Bretsky
10-07-2006, 06:34 AM

B

B

WELL THEY SHOULD NOT, and TT is trying to improve the ship.

His first project of getting rid of Sherman draft rejects is almost complete.
Now he's trying to bring in his own boyz. And if you've witnessed my views you know I rate TT VERY low as a GM in terms of utilizing free agency money, but he looks at least alright with the draft so far and I'm willing to watch how things progress before throwing him under the train.

But the reality is these GM's, even the best of them, do make mistakes and will continue to do so.

One of the important skills (like Ron Wolf with Joey Jamison as well) is being able to admit you made one and move on.

Somebody challenged me to write a positive article with a positive spin; good or bad this was my attempt.

Everybody is discussing that Schott is junk; that would have been too easy. And while I never liked the DC hire, he does deserves more time to fix things.

B

mraynrand
10-07-2006, 07:25 AM
I thought that the weakest aspect of the entire Carroll dismissal was the explanation. McCarthy I guess was trying to be nice to Carroll, but it left the impression that the decision was arbitrary and made before McCarthy could see the film (He admitted he thought Collins may have been responsible for deep coverage on the 43 yard TD pass). The second weakest aspect, as I've written before, is the criteria for dismissal. Collins gave up two huge playes against N.O., diplaying hoorendous man coverage on one TD pass (he turned his hips TWICE) and also gave up a long completion to a marginal TE. He may have allowed the 26 yard running TD (along with Cole, who also was not cut). If Carroll was cut for poor performance, didn't Collins' play against N.O. meet similar criteria? How about Manuel's blown coverages against Chicago and Detroit, and Woodson's against Lewis in Philly? I guess you can't cut everyone. But what is the criteria?

The bottom line for me as a fan, since I can't see all the behind the scenes machinations, is the record. If TT doesn't start getting results in the W-L collumn by next year, I think you have to start getting very concerned. Remember, TT was a rookie GM last year, having no leadership responsibility in Pro player personnel. That's clearly been his weakest area.

Finally, about Sherman. The Packers best D linemen are Sherman guys (Kampman, Jenkins and Williams - Pickett, if he stays healthy is close, but he has to play), their best LB (right now) is a Sherman guy (Barnett), their best secondary guy is a Sherman guy (Harris). Their best WR WAS a Sherman guy (Walker), and their best O-linemen are Wolf guys (Tauscher and Clifton, followed by a Sherman guy Wells). What real roster success can you attribute to TT? Jennings? The main thing he's done so far is to get rid of the Packers best player, all pro WR Javon Walker, and replace him with Colledge and some warm bodies.

But again, the bottom line is record. We'll see.

packmac
10-07-2006, 07:59 AM
It would be nice to see the team get the message at least that it's not ok to start thumping your chest and break out into a mad celebration after one good play surrounded by many mistakes. Or causeing an interception but forgetting to block for your teammates because you're taunting the opposing team's sideline.

Maybe Carroll could have grown out of these mistakes, but the overall point is when it can't get any worse, you cut ties and move foward.

I'm not against celebrations on field to get pumped up, but earn it first. Leroy Butler earned the opportunity to launch himself into the stands...Gilbert Brown earned his opportunities to mock "dig a grave"...Brett Favre earned his opportunitiy to run around with his helmut up screaming at the top of his lungs...This gets the team and fans excited. When you, however, start celebrating because you only allow two yards on a running play when a few plays later the quarterback starts running all up the field, the business-like approach to football is lost.

It's no question this team needs to grow up. Well, I think this last week, it just did a little bit. Growing takes "growing pains." But I believe it will make them stronger.

Harlan Huckleby
10-07-2006, 10:16 AM
It would be nice to see the team get the message at least that it's not ok to start thumping your chest and break out into a mad celebration after one good play surrounded by many mistakes.

Cornerbacks are supposed to have short memories. Keep their confidence up even when things are going badly. Maybe this is his way of keeping himself psyched up. In any event, I really think the fans care much more about this sort of thing than the coaches or players.

As far as Thompson admiting his mistakes, Carroll is not his mistake. Although, last season Thompson did cut most of his free agents, so it's true that he is not stubborn.