PDA

View Full Version : A must-win game?

Kiwon
10-07-2006, 07:26 AM
IMO, I think that this week is almost a must-win game for sake of team unity/chemistry. At a minimum, if the Packers don’t win they need to make a strong showing.

Here’s why:

1. Winless at home this season - Next week is a bye week followed by a road game in Miami. They would have to wait another three weeks (10/29) before they could win their first home game.

2. Team leaders banged up – Favre, Green, Driver. Farve needs some help and some of the newer guys have to step up on offense and fill in the leadership void. Farve needs significant help at RB and WR and have someone distinguish himself before Farve will have confidence in them.

3. Very young team – This is the youngest team in the NFL. They have no personal experience of success as Green Bay Packers. An expectation of losing can be developed as easily as an expectation of winning.

The 2005 Packers were 4-12 and hung together last year. But they were basically a veteran group with a seasoned coach. Most of this team has no real roots in Green Bay and even some of the veteran players (Harris, for example) have not shown a lot of loyalty to the club. MM will have to earn his coaching stripes very quickly in order to maintain unity if the team keeps losing.

4. Tumultuous past week – Ahmad Carroll was released after a terrible game. Despite being hated by the fans, he was popular with the players. The message was sent to the team that no one’s job is secure. Screw up and you might be gone by mid-week. I can only imagine that there is a lot of tension in the locker room that will only get worse unless the team gels together.

5. Impatient fans – The great success in recent years has spoiled a lot of Packer fans. Many don’t remember the 70’s and 80’s when the Packers were doormats and 7-7, 8-8, or 9-7 years were successes. TT’s been on the job for almost 2 years and if some of the younger guys don’t show some significant progress I believe there are many fans (and media outlets) ready to pile on. This situation could get real ugly and remain that way until next year’s draft.

Anyway, just some random thoughts why I think this game is of special importance for the Packers team and their season.

Tarlam!
10-07-2006, 09:19 AM
IMO, I think that this week is almost a must-win game for sake of team unity/chemistry. At a minimum, if the Packers don’t win they need to make a strong showing.

2. Team leaders banged up – Favre, Green, Driver. Favre needs some help and some of the newer guys have to step up on offense and fill in the leadership void. Favre needs significant help at RB and WR and have someone distinguish himself before Favre will have confidence in them.

I like this post, Kiwon, I just don't think we can win it. Brett has no one reliable to throw it to, Ahman is broke. We will have 5 rookies starting on offense.

I like Jennings, but can he step up to a #1? K-Rob doesn't even know a quarter of the playbook and he is also injured. Ruvell? I'll believe it when I see it.

That means our defense will be on the paddock for long hauls. I can see a lot of 3rd and long conversions, as usual.

Sorry, I don't see this banged up team winning, unleass mmdk has brought the luck of the Danish with him. I don't even think it will be close.

Chubbyhubby
10-07-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree. This game is important and they need to build chemistry for this young club. Jennings has stood out in my opinion as one of the few rookies that play hard and gets the job done week after week. The whole notion that the "D" will improve from last year cause of the off-season moves has shown fruitless. The entire Defense has been horrid this season. If they don't show any improvement by week 8 look for a coaching change. Either Sanders or Schottemire (sp) will be gone. This upcoming game is very important. If the Packers continue to lose like they have, Brett Favre will have to hang up his green and gold cleates. IMO.

Rastak
10-07-2006, 09:31 AM

Here’s why:

1. Winless at home this season - Next week is a bye week followed by a road game in Miami. They would have to wait another three weeks (10/29) before they could win their first home game.

2. Team leaders banged up – Favre, Green, Driver. Favre needs some help and some of the newer guys have to step up on offense and fill in the leadership void. Favre needs significant help at RB and WR and have someone distinguish himself before Favre will have confidence in them.

3. Very young team – This is the youngest team in the NFL. They have no personal experience of success as Green Bay Packers. An expectation of losing can be developed as easily as an expectation of winning.

The 2005 Packers were 4-12 and hung together last year. But they were basically a veteran group with a seasoned coach. Most of this team has no real roots in Green Bay and even some of the veteran players (Harris, for example) have not shown a lot of loyalty to the club. MM will have to earn his coaching stripes very quickly in order to maintain unity if the team keeps losing.

4. Tumultuous past week – Ahmad Carroll was released after a terrible game. Despite being hated by the fans, he was popular with the players. The message was sent to the team that no one’s job is secure. Screw up and you might be gone by mid-week. I can only imagine that there is a lot of tension in the locker room that will only get worse unless the team gels together.

5. Impatient fans – The great success in recent years has spoiled a lot of Packer fans. Many don’t remember the 70’s and 80’s when the Packers were doormats and 7-7, 8-8, or 9-7 years were successes. TT’s been on the job for almost 2 years and if some of the younger guys don’t show some significant progress I believe there are many fans (and media outlets) ready to pile on. This situation could get real ugly and remain that way until next year’s draft.

Anyway, just some random thoughts why I think this game is of special importance for the Packers team and their season.

1. Winless at home is a major bummer.

2. Favre seems to have a connection with Jennings. If Robinson is sober he can makes some plays..he drops the ball a ton but he can make the big play too.

3. I see the Pack lost a game since your original post, they were 5-11 and fell to 4-12. :D I do agree with your point completely.

4. Tension? There has to be. The Carroll move could go either way, players get the message and suck it up or start to play slow, scared to make a mistake for fear they'll get cut or benched.

5. I would guess you guys gotta be bummed....except for Tex of course, since losses are always due to pure unluckiness per Tex that is....

red
10-07-2006, 09:37 AM
this isn't a must win, becaue we aren't going to the playoffs this year. it looks like the bears will run away with the division by a lot, baring some disaster like their bus going off a cliff. but there aren't too many cliffs in illinois , and i think the team flies

but it would be nice to compete and put up a strong showing for a whole game, not just the first half. that would improve confidence

MadtownPacker
10-07-2006, 01:38 PM
I just don't think we can win it. Brett has no one reliable to throw it to

This might be the worse post of the week.

DD had a bad game, he didnt suddenly turn into Ferguson.

Jennings is way ahead of schedule and Favre must think the rook is reliable cuz he is looking his way quite a bit.

KR replacing Fergie - nuff said!!

At this point I feel the WRs situation is better then when the season started. Talk to the guys on defense, mainly the DBs. They are the ones losing games.

GBRulz
10-07-2006, 02:07 PM
At this point I feel the WRs situation is better then when the season started. Talk to the guys on defense, mainly the DBs. They are the ones losing games.

I agree, 100%. I'm excited to see what KRob can do on the field for us. Would be nice to read something about him other than his off the field problems. Some people just can't let it go I guess.

MadtownPacker
10-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Dear Tarlam - I just read the thread about DD being hurt.

If he doesnt play my post above doesnt count! :mrgreen:

Tarlam!
10-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Dear Tarlam - I just read the thread about DD being hurt.

If he doesnt play my post above doesnt count! :mrgreen:

It was probably the VERY first time, I have EVER posted a "I think we'll lose" prediction.

It, doubtlessly, was the worst post of my life.....

Packers4Ever
10-07-2006, 02:41 PM

I like this post, Kiwon, I just don't think we can win it. Brett has no one reliable to throw it to, Ahman is broke. We will have 5 rookies starting on offense.

I like Jennings, but can he step up to a #1? K-Rob doesn't even know a quarter of the playbook and he is also injured. Ruvell? I'll believe it when I see it.

That means our defense will be on the paddock for long hauls. I can see a lot of 3rd and long conversions, as usual.

Sorry, I don't see this banged up team winning, unleass mmdk has brought the luck of the Danish with him. I don't even think it will be close.

-------------------------------------------------------
Kiwon and Tarlam, really well stated, and putting this together with Leroy's interview (as read on Packerchatters today) is almost frightening. He stated the differences between NFL players of the past and of today. Looks like $$$ has become much more important than pride, talent on the playing field, or the strong urge to learn and excel.

The Leaper
10-07-2006, 07:34 PM
The offense isn't what I'm worried about. The Rams WRs could have a FIELD DAY against our pathetic secondary.

I'm almost hoping it happens...just so they can the Worthless Turd.

Freak Out
10-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Every game is a must win. If we lose to a another dome team at Home it shows just how bad the Packers are.

FavreChild
10-07-2006, 09:26 PM
"Must-win" is a totally overused chiche, so I will not agree to that contention.

That said, however, I agree that this would be a significant moral victory, especially heading into the bye week. And, moreover, I fully expect a win - at home - versus the impotent Rams - no matter who is injured. No excuses.

At least last year's team put forth the EFFORT in every game except @ Baltimore. All things considered, that was a remarkable achievement for Mike Sherman. And there was no finger-pointing, no blaming, no scape-goating. I will be severely pissed off if this year's team deteriorates to such a pathetic state under the current leadership. I feel that the team will react negatively to a loss vs. St. Louis, and in that capacity, this is a critical game (although I will refrain from the term "must-win"). :cool:

BF4MVP
10-07-2006, 09:29 PM
The Pack should be playing every game like it's a must-win. This game is no difference.

That being said, 2-3 is a whole helluva lot better than 1-4, in my opinion.

MadtownPacker
10-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Thats what Im saying!!

2-3 + rest + two beatable teams = 4-3 = major Koolaid talk.

Whats up BF4MVP*!

potsdam_11
10-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Every game is a must win. If we lose to a another dome team at Home it shows just how bad the Packers are.

As Red stated above.. This team is going nowhere, and there will be no "must win" games this year. I don't believe this team is bad, just extremely young, and therefore prone to getting it's butt kicked on occasion, or like last week, looking competitive in brief spurts. Eight games, let's wait and see what we have after eight... The record, other than a device to berate the GM, or assign a draft number, is of little concern this year.

This will be a challenging year for the fan, but a necessary stepping-stone in turning this team around. The last half of this year should serve as a good barometer in assessing the long term potential this team's young talent.. Time to just sit back and enjoy the antics of a very youthful team.

That's right.....Enjoy it folks..... It’s guaranteed to be bumpy ride

Yieeehaaaaaaaaa :D

Kiwon
10-09-2006, 05:00 AM

Well, the Packers did not win on Sunday and made mistakes in some areas, but were okay in other areas. Frankly, they did better than I expected them to do.

I thought this was almost a "must-win" game not for the team record but for team unity. They fought to the end and had a chance to pull out a win. In other words, they did not quit. There is some fight in this young group.

A thrilling win is better, but a heart-breaking loss also can become a positive as this shared experience becomes a rallying cry for the players to push and encourage each other to try harder next time. They know that they can win. Now they just need to go out and prove it.

Make no mistake, this loss hurt and the players don't want to go through this type of game ever again and send 70,000+ fans home feeling miserable. It was a bitter loss but I expect good things to come out of it.

With two weeks to think about this game and prepare for Miami, I expect them to be ready to play hard and win the next game. It was a painful loss, but I think some important team unity began to be built this week.

BF4MVP
10-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Whats up BF4MVP*!
Nothin*