PDA

View Full Version : Thompson admits gaffe with Blackmon

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-07-2006, 10:53 AM
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 6, 2006

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers have been playing one man short all season because of a roster decision regarding cornerback Will Blackmon that was highly questionable when made Sept. 2 and looks even worse now.

General manager Ted Thompson admits that Blackmon should have spent the first six weeks of the regular season on the physically unable to perform list.

"In hindsight, yeah, absolutely it would probably have made more sense to go 'PUP,' " Thompson said Friday. "But I didn't have the luxury of that at the time."

Thompson was referring to what he says is a complication during Blackmon's rehabilitation that has caused him to be out longer than anticipated.

"The reason he wasn't able to go during training camp was not the reason he's not able to go now," he said. "It's a new thing. I'm not saying it's not the same foot or the same area or anything like that. But the foot is a very complicated thing."

Blackmon, a fourth-round draft choice from Boston College, suffered a break of the fifth metatarsal bone in his right foot during a routine play May 21 in minicamp. On May 30, he underwent surgery.

According to Blackmon, he never had a setback and his current problems aren't related to treatment.

"It's just not ready yet," he said Friday. "It was an educated guess they made. You've got to live and die with the decision they make. I could have been back by the Saints game (Sept. 17) but it just so happens I wasn't. You can't really say this should be better by then. The body reacts in a funky way."

Blackmon was asked whether it's possible he might not be ready until 2007.

"Anything's possible, to be honest with you," he replied. "But I made huge progress from last week to this week."

Based on the injury, the position that Blackmon plays and the fact he had so little practice time in Green Bay, placing him on the physically unable to perform list appeared to be the logical move. If the Packers had done so, they could have added a healthy player to their 53-man roster and still been able to use Blackmon later in the season.

The unavailability of Blackmon, who still can't practice, became even more critical this week when the Packers felt compelled to cut nickel back Ahmad Carroll.

The cornerbacks behind Al Harris and Charles Woodson are free agent Patrick Dendy, who played 13 snaps from scrimmage last season for the Packers; rookie free agent Jarrett Bush, who has played about 10 snaps from scrimmage in four games; and Blackmon.

If Blackmon had gone on the physically unable to perform list, he would have had to remain there until at least Oct. 17. Between Oct. 17 and Nov. 7, the Packers could have designated him eligible for practice for a 21-day period. After the 21 days, they either would have had to activate him, cut him or place him on injured reserve.

"You always err on the side of caution, particularly when it's a weight-bearing bone," a personnel director for another team said. "He's got to plant and drive. Unless you know 100% he'll be ready by Week 3 you just keep him on PUP. Give him as much time as you can."

Thompson said the Packers weren't concerned in the least about having to pay 54 players.

Blackmon did practice from Sept. 6-8, wore pads on two days and took part in team drills with the scout team. Since then, he hasn't been able to take part in any organized workouts

"I just wanted to try it out," he said. "It wasn't a failure. It just wasn't ready. We want it to be as soon as possible. Then again, we don't want to rush it where I screw it up even worse."

Thompson described the club's medical staff as "marvelous" and said he didn't feel let down in the case of Blackmon.

Dendy, 5 feet 11½ inches and 190 pounds, will be the nickel back Sunday against St. Louis, according to Bush. He also said if either Harris or Woodson were injured, it would be Dendy taking their place.

"I kind of like him," Thompson said, referring to Dendy. "He's a good kid and has had some tough breaks. I think he's passionate about playing the game. He has some physical skills to play."

Dendy ran 40 yards in 4.63 seconds before his final season at Rice. Thompson said Dendy ran in the 4.4s for the Packers last year. They signed him in April 2005 after he didn't even get into a pro camp in 2004.

Thompson called Dendy a smart player. He holds a degree in economics from Rice, worked for a Houston law firm during the off-season and scored 19 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test.

The Packers elected to promote Dendy from the practice squad to replace Carroll instead of signing Tony Beckham, who is high on their emergency list at cornerback. Beckham, a former UW-Stout player, was a backup for Tennessee from 2002-'05 and had a solid summer with Minnesota.

Mike Hawkins, who was cut by Green Bay on Sept. 2, has worked out for five teams in the past month. Another former Packers cornerback, Jason Horton, has had three tryouts. Carroll's first workout was Thursday in Kansas City.

Two veteran starting cornerbacks, former Giant Will Peterson and former 49er Ahmed Plummer, are recovering from back and neck injuries, respectively, and aren't ready to play. Peterson should be ready by November.

Although Thompson doesn't like trading draft picks, he might if the right cornerback became available. The trading deadline is Oct. 17.

"There's not a whole lot of them around that people want to get rid of," he said.

So the Packers, who rank 31st in pass defense, plunge ahead at the position with one player who's out indefinitely and two raw newcomers as their backups.

Patler
10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
My gosh, talk about a writer trying to create a story! This kind of thing happens all the time! The GM can only go on the best medical information at the time. When the final roster was due, they thought Blackmon would be able to start practiciing in a wekk or two. On PUP he would have had to sit out a full 6 weeks before even practicing. In retrospect, that would have worked better, but it doesn't mean the decision at the time was a blundering mistake ("gaffe").

The Colts have carried Cory Simon on their roster, and now moved him to an "out for the season category". Teams go for weeks at a time sometiime with less than 53 on the active roster. Teams carry injured players for weeks and weeks before moving them to IR sometimes. If the roster is otherwise healthy, which the Packers had been until this week, it doesn't hurt a bit because 7 of the 53 are not active for games anyway.

Rastak
10-07-2006, 11:19 AM
My gosh, talk about a writer trying to create a story! This kind of thing happens all the time! The GM can only go on the best medical information at the time. When the final roster was due, they thought Blackmon would be able to start practiciing in a wekk or two. On PUP he would have had to sit out a full 6 weeks before even practicing. In retrospect, that would have worked better, but it doesn't mean the decision at the time was a blundering mistake ("gaffe").

The Colts have carried Cory Simon on their roster, and now moved him to an "out for the season category". Teams go for weeks at a time sometiime with less than 53 on the active roster. Teams carry injured players for weeks and weeks before moving them to IR sometimes. If the roster is otherwise healthy, which the Packers had been until this week, it doesn't hurt a bit because 7 of the 53 are not active for games anyway.

For the record, I thought it was an odd move at the time. A broken foot can sideline a guy for a whole year. I guess with Blackmon being a rookie the PUP list made the most sense, then IR if he didn't progress. I agree with the writer.

edit: I agree it really isn't a gaffe by the way....

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2006, 12:09 PM
This has to be the dumbest story yet.

complication during Blackmon's rehabilitation that has caused him to be out longer than anticipated.

End of story.

KYPack
10-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah....

But......

This kind of thing does happen a lot and mistakes get made.

But Thompson cut an established vet and got zip in return (Roman).

Then he cut an established vet and got zip in return (Carroll).

Then he handled the Blackmaon situation very clumilsy and errerd on the side of exposing us to a roster and personnel group shortage (DB's)

Should the writer have written an article praising TT for his adroit handling of the situation.

No, I think the boy deserved a slagging, which he's getting.

Patler
10-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I guess with Blackmon being a rookie the PUP list made the most sense, then IR if he didn't progress.

I look at it differently. Because he was a rookie, you need him to start practicing as soon as possible, not be foreced to wait six weeks if he could start practicing weeks earlier.

The last few roster spots really are inconsequential if your starters and primary backups, the top 45, are healthy because the others are inactive game after game anyway. However, when you start filling the game day inactives list with starters and others who would never be inactive if not injured (Taylor, Hodge, Ferguson, etc.) then those lower roster spots do become important, and if Blackmon doesn't start practicing soon the Packers could move him to IR. So far it really hasn't hurt anything to have him on the roster..

It certainly isn't as peculiar as carrying a second punter who you know will not play if you can at all help it, It also isn't any different in effect than tieing up a spot with Coston in 2005, or Donnell Washington or others who were never active.

MJZiggy
10-07-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah....

But......

Then he handled the Blackmaon situation very clumilsy and errerd on the side of exposing us to a roster and personnel group shortage (DB's)

Should the writer have written an article praising TT for his adroit handling of the situation.

Perhaps not trading Roman might have been considered a mistake (if he didn't try to trade him which I have no idea), but at the moment, Carroll's still unemployed. If we can't give him away, why would you think some GM is gonna give up a draft pick for him?

Patler
10-07-2006, 01:00 PM
All these "we should have traded him" comments are simply unrealistic. There are very few trades made in the NFL for the number of players that enter training camps, and Roman didn't even make it to training camp. When a team is looking for a 3rd or 4th safety, a 4th or 5th corner, they simply take one they can get free who seems to fit the best at the time. They aren't willing to give up anything for him.

MJZ is absolutely right. Any team who would have been willing to make a trade and actually give up something for Carrol would certainly have put in a waiver claim for him. After all, you would make the trade only if you thought you wouldn't get him on waivers. It seems pretty clear his trade value was absolutely nothing.

Tarlam!
10-07-2006, 02:33 PM

I don't agree or disagree with this yet, because we haven't played a game since.

If we get a committed secondary tomorrow, if all players play, because if they don't the Mad Hatter will go nuts on Monday, then he certainly got something. I truly believe, that is the play TT is trying to make by cutting Carroll. Otherwise,´it makes zero sense to me.

KYPack
10-07-2006, 04:36 PM
All these "we should have traded him" comments are simply unrealistic. There are very few trades made in the NFL for the number of players that enter training camps, and Roman didn't even make it to training camp. When a team is looking for a 3rd or 4th safety, a 4th or 5th corner, they simply take one they can get free who seems to fit the best at the time. They aren't willing to give up anything for him.

MJZ is absolutely right. Any team who would have been willing to make a trade and actually give up something for Carrol would certainly have put in a waiver claim for him. After all, you would make the trade only if you thought you wouldn't get him on waivers. It seems pretty clear his trade value was absolutely nothing.

No shit.

I didn't say trade either player.

Somehow, we should have veteran players to plug into the vast holes we have in our secondary. We most probably should have kept one or both of these guys.

We couldn't trade Roman?

He was picked up within a couple of weeks of his cut. Maybe SF would've given us a 6 or 7 for him. This is all supposition, of course, but I totally disagree with Thompson's predilection to cut vets and keep kids.

Carroll had no trade value, but we are WAY to thin to cut him.

We can't keep cutting vets and replacing then with green rooks.

Some of these kids that are on our active roster are nowhere near ready to play on an NFL team.

We shouldn't be in this position.

You will see what I'm talking about when some of these yearlings are pressed into service whan we need to use our depth.

Joemailman
10-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Thompson was referring to what he says is a complication during Blackmon's rehabilitation that has caused him to be out longer than anticipated.

"The reason he wasn't able to go during training camp was not the reason he's not able to go now," he said. "It's a new thing. I'm not saying it's not the same foot or the same area or anything like that. But the foot is a very complicated thing."

Blackmon, a fourth-round draft choice from Boston College, suffered a break of the fifth metatarsal bone in his right foot during a routine play May 21 in minicamp. On May 30, he underwent surgery.

According to Blackmon, he never had a setback and his current problems aren't related to treatment.

Is it just my imagination, or are the Packers being rather evasive about what exactly is wrong with Blackmon? Thompson seems to be saying it's a new injury, but Blackmon is saying he hasn't had a setback. :?:

lord favre
10-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah....

But......

You forgot "overpaid for Woodson."

The Leaper
10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure you can call Blackmon a "gaffe"...it would've been a 50/50 decision to put him on PUP at the time of the decision IMO. In hindsight, it was a poor choice...but at the time, it was more important to get him practice time as soon as possible in the future.

I think other decisions he's made have been far more questionable or shrewd...and more noteworthy for an article.

FavreChild
10-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, why aren't the more scathing criticisms of TT being printed, then? They probably ran with this story for the simple fact that TT "admitted" the mistake, rather than the journalists having to ARGUE that TT was wrong. Try not to overanalyze - It's really just that simple.

Joemailman
10-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I believe the sorry state of our Kickoff returners (before K-Rob) may also have had something to do with the decision to keep Blackmon on the 53 man roster.

Packnut
10-07-2006, 11:20 PM
With all the serious mistakes TT has made, writing about this one is a waste.

Tarlam!
10-08-2006, 02:12 AM
How many different teams have won the big one so far? By my count it has been 17 since 1967. (Excuse me for not knowing the history of franchise moves well enough)

That shows just how tough it is to put a team together. It has gotten easier since free agency was introduced. But TT is in his SECOND year. M3 is in his Rookie Year as a HC.

Neither of these guys found a "made bed" ready to just lie in, like Ray Rhodes and to a large extent Shermie did!

J-Walk initiated TT by attempting to blackmail him. Shermie left Cap Hell behind that lost us our vet guards.

TT has clearly demonstrated he won't suffer fools. He will take risks and educated guesses, but nobody seems to be "his guy".

In case anyone has forgotten, we are still paying Shermie and Bates.