PDA

View Full Version : Receiving corps might lose core

PaCkFan_n_MD
10-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Driver remains questionable

By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 6, 2006

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers might be down to three wide receivers Sunday for their game against the St. Louis Rams at Lambeau Field.

Donald Driver underwent tests Friday in an attempt by the team's medical staff to determine the source of his recent discomfort in his side. Driver's participation in practice was limited Thursday but he didn't attend the workout Friday.

"We're just being proactive," said coach Mike McCarthy, who was unaware of the test results.

Driver, the starting flanker, remained questionable on the injury report. The No. 3 wide receiver, Robert Ferguson, is out with a foot injury.

If Driver can't play, Koren Robinson would start at flanker alongside split end Greg Jennings. Free agent Ruvell Martin then would be the only backup unless the Packers made a roster move today and activated one of two wide receivers, Calvin Russell or Chris Francies, from the practice squad. McCarthy said a move was possible.

Jennings probably would move to the slot in three-wideout formations.

"I think Driver will be ready to go," Robinson said. "If he's not, then I feel I'm prepared to step in. I'll be straight with a lot of energy come Sunday."

Driver suffered the injury in the area of his ribs and hip Monday night when drilled by Philadelphia safety Sean Considine on an incomplete pass over the middle. Driver broke his route too far inside and took a big hit.

Injury list: Running back Ahman Green returned to practice Friday after sitting out two days with a hamstring problem.

"He did everything today; I think he looks great and the plan is for him to go," running back Noah Herron said. "He hasn't opened up his stride full speed but he doesn't need to right now."

McCarthy would like to give Green about 20 touches and use backup Vernand Morency as well.

"(Green) has a tight hamstring that takes awhile to get warmed up and it fatigues over the long run," McCarthy said. "We're going to play them both. You like to have a 1-2 punch and keep them both fresh."

Quarterback Brett Favre, who usually takes every snap on Friday with the No. 1 offense, gave up some turns to Aaron Rodgers because he's still feeling soreness in his neck and back from a knockdown delivered by the Eagles.

"When you’re dealing with nerves, you never know how long it's going to last," McCarthy said.
Two backup linebackers, Ben Taylor and Abdul Hodge, are out. Taylor has a hamstring injury and said he wouldn't play. Hodge was on crutches with an injury to his left knee that he dismissed as "minor."

Barring a roster move, free agent Tracy White will be the only backup linebacker. Taylor and Hodge also were fixtures on special teams.

Tight end Donald Lee (knee) returned to practice Friday.

In St. Louis, cornerback Fakhir Brown (ankle) was downgraded from probable to questionable after missing a third day of practice. If he can't play, the Rams might start Ron Bartell ahead of Tye Hill and Jerametrius Butler.

Seeking money: Robinson filed a grievance Sept. 27 against the Minnesota Vikings seeking a substantial amount of money from the three-year, $12.7 million contract he signed with the team March 10.

His attorney, David Cornwell, told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that Robinson maintains he was cut unfairly Aug. 26 as punishment for being arrested 11 days earlier on one felony charge and three misdemeanor charges stemming from a high-speed car chase.

Ted Thompson, the Packers' general manager, said he had no knowledge of Robinson's grievance and had no comment.

"There are a collection of reasons," Cornwell said. "But the thrust of it was, his release was a punitive act, undertaken in violation of the collective bargaining agreement. The Vikings invaded the exclusive jurisdiction of the commissioner."

Robinson, who was unavailable for comment, received $1.1 million from the Vikings. The Packers signed him Sept. 11.

Bouncing back: Rookie Daryn Colledge, who appeared destined for a seat on the bench as a rookie after three rough games during the exhibition season, has reclaimed the left guard job that he lost Aug. 14.

"I'd say so," McCarthy said. "Daryn has done an excellent job going from the situation he was in in training camp and fighting back. He's improved these last two weeks. I'm happy with the growth of the offensive line."
Jason Spitz also has won the job at right guard from Tony Moll, who spent much of the week working as the No. 1 backup at both tackles.

"Tackle is his natural position," said McCarthy, referring to Moll.

On one side: For most of his career, defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila has spent about two-thirds of his playing time at right end and about one-third at left end. As a general rule of thumb, he would line up away from the tight end.

Under coordinator Bob Sanders, "KGB" has been a right end only. Of his 215 snaps in four games, Gbaja-Biamila has played 212 on the right side and three on the left.

"I like it," he said. "I always wanted to play just one side but they wanted me to switch. It's less complicated than to sit there and look all the time. You just play."

"KGB" acknowledged that by staying on the right side he would face a better grade of tackles than he would on the other side. His opponent Sunday will be left tackle Orlando Pace, a seven-time Pro Bowl pick. The Rams' right tackle is Alex Barron, a talented but not very strong second-year man.