PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers

HarveyWallbangers
04-19-2006, 10:10 PM
He was on the NFL Channel. I thought he handled himself very well. He seems more mature and more sure of himself. He seems more like a leader. Last year, I thought he had a little bit of a "deer in the headlights" look. I think your QB needs to have a little moxie, so I'm hopeful the kid has it.

b bulldog
04-19-2006, 10:11 PM
If he doesn't pan out the team is in huge trouble.

mraynrand
04-19-2006, 10:12 PM
That alternative band he was pushing bites, however. Honestly, all that matters is whether Rodgers can handle himself on the field. Mr. H-bangers, why pray tell, did Rodgers drop from intitial projections of 1-5 to #24 in the draft last year? Conspiracy theorists want to know....

b bulldog
04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Both QB's last season are second rounders at best this year.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 10:18 PM
He was on the NFL Channel. I thought he handled himself very well. He seems more mature and more sure of himself. He seems more like a leader. Last year, I thought he had a little bit of a "deer in the headlights" look. I think your QB needs to have a little moxie, so I'm hopeful the kid has it.

I think personality wise Rodgers has always had it. He's always impressed me there. He is also well liked in the locker room and could be a leader if he can do ok.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 10:23 PM
He just needs some time to develop...say...one more year?

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I think Rodgers is ready to start. Well, to put it another way, he won't be much more ready if has a second year on the bench.

Might as well get those growing pains over with.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 10:27 PM
He just needs some time to develop...say...one more year?

How about 3 more years ?

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 10:31 PM
I think Rodgers is ready to start. Well, to put it another way, he won't be much more ready if has a second year on the bench.

Might as well get those growing pains over with. I just read an article today (probably here somewhere--thanks Motife) on quarterback development that said that the QBs that worked out best had a year on the bench, a little mop-up in the second year and real playing time the third year. Like Hot--I mean Tom Brady. Those who got tossed in too soon had far more problems and a higher bust rate.

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2006, 10:33 PM
I agree another year on bench is optimal. But one year on bench is a lot better than being a rookie. And a few QBs do manage to survive as rookie starters, after all. And the packers suck, anyhooo. Not a big risk.

Fosco33
04-19-2006, 10:37 PM
I'd love to see Rodgers watch Brett play one more year. Brett - whether he wants/likes to or not - has had many capable backups leave GB to have successful NFL careers. I say give him the year and try him more depending on the situation (e.g., down by 21+ in 2nd half or up by 21+ by half). Then we can judge his actions and playstyle more than pre-season or camp.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I'd love to see Rodgers watch Brett play one more year. Brett - whether he wants/likes to or not - has had many capable backups leave GB to have successful NFL careers. I say give him the year and try him more depending on the situation (e.g., down by 21+ in 2nd half or up by 21+ by half). Then we can judge his actions and playstyle more than pre-season or camp.

I'd be fine with Rodgers watching Favre play 3 more years.

Partial
04-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I think Rodgers has the mental part of a great quarterback down. He won't be successful with the talent around him though. They need to build him a defense and not put him in a position where he has to take risks.

MJZiggy
04-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Keeping him out of the dirt might be a nice thought as well. I hope at QB school, M3 is speeding up his reads. I wonder if it's like Lombardi used to do, running the same drills over and over until it was so late and dark they couldn't see what they were doing anymore.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:14 PM
I think Rodgers has the mental part of a great quarterback down. He won't be successful with the talent around him though. They need to build him a defense and not put him in a position where he has to take risks.

Good point Partial, because frankly he doesn't have the talent to take risks and get away with it. So I agree that building a dominate D and running game to support him is the route to go. Get that D first.

ND72
04-19-2006, 11:17 PM
The biggest thing is you have to give the kid a chance and sometime. we got lucky with brett favre...seriously. and everyone should know it doesn't matter if Jesus Christ was the next QB, he'd have a hard time in GB in the shadow of Brett. But i'm giving him my support. I didn' tlike it when we took him, but it was the best thing to do. I really think he's learned a lot, and has grown a lot. Even Craig Nall said he thinks Aaron is going to be a very good player, and person for GB. Until he completely falls on his face, i'm behind him. Even if he struggles a bit. What people are going to forget, is how much Brett struggled early on in his career as well. His 2nd year in GB while we did well and he did well, he did have his issues...i still remember the one time he rolled out and instead of running or throwing it away, he threw about as high as he could, and it got picked off. I really think Aaron will be ok. He's going to be different than what we've been used to, but that's ok with me.

Partial
04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
I really truly believe that quarterbacking is 95% mental. These guys are all in the league because they have the obvious physical skills.

Making the "throws" is more mental that physical. These guys all have good, accurate arms.

I think Tom Brady is the perfect example. Over the past couple years as he has gained his swagger and toughness his passing game has improved tremendously. It has nothing to do with him becoming more powerful or more accurate. He became more confident.

Rodgers has that QB swagger to him. He called out Walker which I think showed that he is confident and will be the leader and be willing to take the scrutiny and blame.

I really just hope they are smart about what they do with him. If he is quarterbacking next year, they had better run run run run run the ball over and over and over again and let them crowd the box for when he has to throw.

ND72
04-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Partial, I think that's true with all the positions, especially in the NFL. Now I only coach at the high school level, but when i get to my wednesday practice, 3/4 of my OL time is mental work, 1/4 is physical work, and it hasn't failed me yet. I want my guys to know what is going to happen at anytime, so mentally they can at least recognize what is going on. If they are athletic enough, the physical side can take care of itself.

Partial
04-19-2006, 11:25 PM
As much as I knock Favre for being a dingbat this off-season, I think it did Rodgers wonders by watching him clapse from exhaustion after I believe the cinnicinatti game and saw exactly what it took to give it 100% every play.

I really truly 100% believe he'll be solid.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Partial, I think that's true with all the positions, especially in the NFL. Now I only coach at the high school level, but when i get to my wednesday practice, 3/4 of my OL time is mental work, 1/4 is physical work, and it hasn't failed me yet. I want my guys to know what is going to happen at anytime, so mentally they can at least recognize what is going on. If they are athletic enough, the physical side can take care of itself.

I will support Aaron Rodgers, but I've never liked his selection. My concern has nothing to do with the mental part of it; he's well liked by his teammates, seems to be intense, and had the attributes that could allow him to be a leader. My concern is with the physical part....his arm strength, and how capable he is of making some of the longer throws we are use to.
Then again, maybe he's the prototype West Coast QB who will effectively run the offense by making the accurate shorter throws as well.

Partial
04-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Wasn't his college rep being deadly accurate? I have never once seen him play college ball, only highlights so I am in the dark.

I don't like what i've seen out of his play so far. Lets be clear on that. However, I am a firm believer in that quarterbacks unless extremely talented and instinctive individuals take about 3-4 years to develop minimum

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Wasn't his college rep being deadly accurate? I have never once seen him play college ball, only highlights so I am in the dark.

I don't like what i've seen out of his play so far. Lets be clear on that. However, I am a firm believer in that quarterbacks unless extremely talented and instinctive individuals take about 3-4 years to develop minimum

His college rap was accuracy with the short throw. The offense he played under was dominated by high % short throws and rarely stressed the deep ball. The knock on him, if there was one, was his arm strength and ability to hit the long throw with accuracy. His college OC produced many highly rated QB's who excelled in college and bombed in the NFL. Boller was Teldford's latest prodigy.

Harlan Huckleby
04-19-2006, 11:50 PM
quarterbacks unless extremely talented and instinctive individuals take about 3-4 years to develop minimum

True enough. But they need playing time to learn.
Favre got on the field his 2nd year, hit his peak about 3 years later.

Partial
04-19-2006, 11:50 PM
thats interesting, because boller has a cannon doesn't he? who else did tedford coach? I have heard he was at Oregon when Akili and Joey were there, and then wherever Dilfer was when he came out.

Bretsky
04-19-2006, 11:58 PM
thats interesting, because boller has a cannon doesn't he? who else did tedford coach? I have heard he was at Oregon when Akili and Joey were there, and then wherever Dilfer was when he came out.

A BLIP FROM HIS BIO

During his 17-year coaching career at California, Oregon (1998-2001), Fresno State (1992-97) and the CFL's Calgary Stampeders (1989-91), Tedford has devised record-setting offenses at every stop. Under his tutelage, such quarterbacks as Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers have blossomed into first-round NFL draft picks. His latest pupil was Rodgers, who ranked No. 8 nationally in passing efficiency last year in completing 66.1 percent of his passes for 2,566 yards and 24 touchdowns with only eight interceptions.

Partial
04-20-2006, 12:08 AM
thanks b, that is good stuff

packrulz
04-20-2006, 05:42 AM
I think A-Rod will be ok if they don't expect him to play like Brett. They should use him like the Bears used Kyle Orton, just move the chains and don't turn the ball over. I think he can go deep when needed, maybe once each quarter.

MadtownPacker
04-20-2006, 06:01 AM
I gotta show Cali-love for ARod. He is actually a perfect fit for the O M3 is installing. One more year on the bench watching Favre will only strenghten his knowledge and hunger. I think he is gonna be OK.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 07:55 AM
The knock on him, if there was one, was his arm strength and ability to hit the long throw with accuracy.

Actually, arm strength wasn't really a knock on him. He has decent arm strength. I think the main knocks on him, for me anyways, is that he might be a system's QB, he has a weird throwing motion, and he looks frail. Accuracy looked like a strength coming out of college, but he had a lot of dink and dunk passes at California--and that has made other Tedford QBs look better than they are. He's also a little under 6'2". Not a big knock, but you'd like your QBs to be at least 6'2". To me, he just has a look of being a QB that will be injured a lot because of his frame. Like a Chad Pennington. His accuracy looks good, his arm strength is decent, he has some athletic ability, and he is smart. He seems to have what it takes, but how can we know for sure after seeing Tedford QBs do what he did in college. We also don't know if he has the leadership and toughness to survive. As much as I hated the pick, I don't think it's a given that he can't succeed. He has enough physical ability to be a good NFL QB, but plenty of guys have had that.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2006, 08:46 AM
This article on Greg Jennings has some good "leadership" quotes from ARod. I like the fact he praises Jennings, but gives a warning to him not to get a big head. I also like the fact that he says that he's looking forward to throwing him the ball in two or three years. It shows a guy who's not ready to raise a stink about riding the pine for a few years.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060823/PKR07/608230707/1989

"Maybe the best thing about him is that he doesn't understand how good he is," backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "That's a very dangerous place to be for a young athlete like him because his work ethic and the way he practices is very respectable and classy. If he just doesn't believe his own press and continues to work hard, his potential is endless."

Jennings is going to pay immediate dividends, freeing Driver and Ferguson for more one-on-on coverage. On one play during Saturday's game, Rodgers walked to the line and just had a sense of confidence come over him simply by seeing Jennings line up.

"I had Jennings in the slot with a guy who I know can't cover him," Rodgers said. "I know he was going to run a good route and he's probably going to be open. And, if he's open, all I got to do is get him a catchable ball and he's going to do something with it."

Packers fans will get to enjoy Jennings a lot this season, while Rodgers is more than likely going to have to be patient.

"I can't wait for two or three years down the road when I get to throw him the ball," Rodgers said.

swede
08-24-2006, 08:53 AM
"I can't wait for two or three years down the road when I get to throw him the ball," Rodgers said.

Very diplomatic. If you are going to command the love of the people, it's a necessary quality for the heir apparent to a living legend.

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Very diplomatic. If you are going to command the love of the people, it's a necessary quality for the heir apparent to a living legend.

It's ALL going to be very GOOD ! :mrgreen:

PACKERS ! FUTURE... BRIGHT !!

Tony Oday
08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
I love the guy he KNOWS he cant replace Favre. It seems like he wants to get in there and play his best and put people in positions to be succesfull. Great young kid :)

CaliforniaCheez
08-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Clearly the drafting of Rodgers was a mistake by Ted Thompson.

Instead of getting the #1 OG in last years draft, a first round pick was spent on a baseball hat wearing benchwarmer who has not contributed as much as Jamal Reynolds.

Even if he did not get an OG that early he could have traded down obtained more picks. One of those could have been an Andrew Walter or Kyle Orton in the 3rd or 4th.

A first round pick should not be spent for "someday". First round picks are spent on players.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-24-2006, 12:38 PM
He's handling himself very well. I love to see a future starter, especially at quarter back, have this kind of attitude. If he can sit behind favre for another year after this, he will be fully ready to start his career. I think with good coaching and playing the a simple offense that one day he could be a pro bowler and real leader on this team.

Partial
08-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Clearly the drafting of Rodgers was a mistake by Ted Thompson.

Instead of getting the #1 OG in last years draft, a first round pick was spent on a baseball hat wearing benchwarmer who has not contributed as much as Jamal Reynolds.

Even if he did not get an OG that early he could have traded down obtained more picks. One of those could have been an Andrew Walter or Kyle Orton in the 3rd or 4th.

A first round pick should not be spent for "someday". First round picks are spent on players.

I am very confident that having an adjusted and ready-to-play veteran by their 4th season is going to be much more beneficial to the franchise then having a starting guard.

CaliforniaCheez
08-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Like Craig Nall? Only a cost of a 5th round pick.

Willard
08-24-2006, 12:50 PM
This article from FoxSports.com ranks AR as the 5th best back-up QB in the NFL. While some of the choices in this article are odd this is still some high praise from a national writer:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5900168

pbmax
08-24-2006, 12:53 PM
The knock on him, if there was one, was his arm strength and ability to hit the long throw with accuracy.

Actually, arm strength wasn't really a knock on him. He has decent arm strength. I think the main knocks on him, for me anyways, is that he might be a system's QB, he has a weird throwing motion, and he looks frail. Accuracy looked like a strength coming out of college, but he had a lot of dink and dunk passes at California--and that has made other Tedford QBs look better than they are. He's also a little under 6'2". Not a big knock, but you'd like your QBs to be at least 6'2". To me, he just has a look of being a QB that will be injured a lot because of his frame. Like a Chad Pennington. His accuracy looks good, his arm strength is decent, he has some athletic ability, and he is smart. He seems to have what it takes, but how can we know for sure after seeing Tedford QBs do what he did in college. We also don't know if he has the leadership and toughness to survive. As much as I hated the pick, I don't think it's a given that he can't succeed. He has enough physical ability to be a good NFL QB, but plenty of guys have had that.
McCarthy mentioned, after he was hired, that one of his concerns was mobility, a concern that he said was answered after he worked with him in his QB camp.

And Pennington is quite a bit smaller than Rodgers, who looks more filled out this year than last.

I think Pennington barely makes it to 6 foot, if I remember correctly.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2006, 12:57 PM
I wasn't a fan of the pick, but it's way to early to say it was clearly a mistake. Somebody will have to replace Favre. If Rodgers turns out to be a good replacement, it will have been an excellent pick.

CaliforniaCheez
08-24-2006, 01:04 PM
How many years did Jamal Reynolds waste on the bench?

Someday is a long way away.

You someday someday someday people need to look at a first round pick who won't get on the field until at least his third year!! Would you tolerate that from anyone else?? ___ No!!!

Elway and Brad Johnson played in NFL at age 38. Moon past 40 and Doug Flutie was a pro for 21 years. Favre is tougher than all of them.

Wearing a baseball cap that makes you're doofy ears stick out is not much value for a first round pick.

There was a lot more value that could have contributed to the team beyond clipboard holder.

woodbuck27
08-24-2006, 01:31 PM

You someday someday someday people need to look at a first round pick who won't get on the field until at least his third year!! Would you tolerate that from anyone else?? ___ No!!!

Elway and Brad Johnson played in NFL at age 38. Moon past 40 and Doug Flutie was a pro for 21 years. Favre is tougher than all of them.

Wearing a baseball cap that makes you're doofy ears stick out is not much value for a first round pick.

There was a lot more value that could have contributed to the team beyond clipboard holder.

CaliforniaCheez:

Before this TC. I wouldn't " have bet a nickle" on Aaron Rodgers to really be OUR QB of the future. He looked ... BAD !

I have revised that thinking CaliforniaCheez, to hold hope in his development.

I was also concerned, that Ted Thompson may have gone "all balls" over his 2005 Round ONE choice... that I will continue to believe CaliforniaCheez, wasn't on TT's radar... when that Saturday began.

I wasn't pleased with that pick. We had too much need for OUR team. Basically that's me, my makeup. :mrgreen:

I'm for now. I'm for winning... somehow ...NOW ! I'm coming to accept the view that I have to be more flexible.I want a smooth transition from favre to the next starting QB.That next QB has to be ready.

Really ready... and this season I see a REAL backup to Brett Favre in Aaron Rodgers. :mrgreen: I'm more confident in Aaron Rodgers, and... I still have reservations that I choose to hold inside.

PACKERS ! FAITH IN THE FUTURE !![/b]

CaliforniaCheez
08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't hate the guy and I too am hopeful for some production from him but it is one heck of a price to pay for potential.

2005 1st round on an unproductive bench warmer
a second round pick spent on a guy who after a few plays, his career is over.
the third round pick was traded away.

Ted Thompson drafts better than Sherman.

Zool
08-24-2006, 02:14 PM
I havent passed my judgement on rodgers yet, but I still wish we would have drafted Charlie Frye. When Rodgers slipped all the way to us, I knew we would pick him and then would never pick Frye.

Too bad my input means nothing to the teams development.

packrulz
08-24-2006, 02:34 PM
For what it's worth, I saw Arod on a quarterback challenge in Hawaii before the draft, playing against Alex Smith & all the other college QB's, and he won the part I saw where they have the guys in the golf carts with the bulls eye going across the field, he nailed them short, intermediate, and long. I was impressed.

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2006, 02:49 PM
It's hard to judge, but I think ARod will end up being a better QB than Charlie Frye. I know that's easy to say now because Frye has struggled this preseason, but I think ARod has a better arm and better mobility than Frye. I think Frye is going to turn out to be a pretty ordinary QB.

mmmdk
08-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Ah Hawaii, that place make you feel better...maybe it made ARod play better!? Nah, the kid is legit. He's Drew Brees but with a better arm.

Noodle
08-24-2006, 04:24 PM
The size thing is funny. I agree, A-Rod looks "frail" compared to Favre. But if NFL.COM is close to accurate, then Favre (6-2, 222) and A-Rod (6-3, 223) are nearly twins.

Wonder where A-Rod is carrying all that weight?

Creepy
08-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Rogers is like any other QB. In the right system and with an average or above average OL they can take off. Maybe going to the type of WC offense that MM is using may work better than what Sherman was using, at least for Rogers.

The thing with Brett is whether he wants to come back each year. It isn't physical it ismental. He wants to stay home with his wife and kids, his kids and wife want him around also. They do leave it up to him thoght and do not provide too much pressure.

Brett also knows how lucky he is. Every game he starts is a new record. He has played hurt and with injnuries that would have sidlined other QBs. I think somewhere in the back of his mind is, "When is it my turn?" If he decides to play 3 more years I just wnat him to do it early enough so we don't have the same problems.

If he does play 3 more years you can say goodbye to Rogers as he will play elsehwere. Nobody wantsto ride the bench and he will be either tradede or go in FA before then.

GBRulz
08-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I think Aaron will do fine.

I say let Aaron sit for two more years, let jennings develop into the next Sterling Sharpe.... Aaron comes into the game with a top notch WR just like Brett did.... good scenario, don't ya think?

just remember how many times your screamed at the TV for Holmgren to bench Favre's ass in his first few seasons?

Bretsky
08-24-2006, 08:46 PM
I think Aaron will do fine.

I say let Aaron sit for two more years, let jennings develop into the next Sterling Sharpe.... Aaron comes into the game with a top notch WR just like Brett did.... good scenario, don't ya think?

just remember how many times your screamed at the TV for Holmgren to bench Favre's ass in his first few seasons?

I can honestly say I never called for Favre's benching; I'm sure others in here could say the same.

I saw the great potential in him from the start. Yes, he was an entertaining and somewhat lost idiot at the start.

But boy did he have that rocket, strength, and scrambling ability. I thought if Holmgren could coach him he'd be special.

Plus, I was quite busy fiercely arguing with my in laws, who I'd classify as football morons. They vehemently hated Favre and called for his benching with little or no patience, and I fought them from day one. At my lowest point of Favre backing, I still would not give in and say their views had credibility.

Thank God things turned out how they did. BTW, they never repented. But in laws never do.

Cheers,
B

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2006, 09:14 PM
He wants to stay home with his wife and kids, his kids and wife want him around also. They do leave it up to him thoght and do not provide too much pressure.

I'm not sure about that. I think they grow tired of him, and talk him into cominig back each year. I'm serious. Every year, Brett talks about how his family wants him to keep playing.
:D

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2006, 09:15 PM
I saw the great potential in him from the start. Yes, he was an entertaining and somewhat lost idiot at the start.

But boy did he have that rocket, strength, and scrambling ability. I thought if Holmgren could coach him he'd be special.

I was that guy too. Even my Dad wanted him benched, and he's pretty patient. He stayed patient throughout 1993, but when Brett got off to the slow start in 1994, my Dad turned on him--like 70% of the fans. We were truly outnumbered then.

BF4MVP
08-24-2006, 09:37 PM
I could definitely see A-Rod being a great QB. He's got all the tools, and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Bretsky
08-24-2006, 09:45 PM
I could definitely see A-Rod being a great QB. He's got all the tools, and he's got a good head on his shoulders.

I can see him being very decent; not greatness, but solid if the chips fall into place.

Brohm
08-24-2006, 10:16 PM
[quote="CaliforniaCheez"]I don't hate the guy and I too am hopeful for some production from him but it is one heck of a price to pay for potential.

2005 1st round on an unproductive bench warmer
quote]

Wolf traded a 1st round pick for Farve...who was third string in Atlanta and going nowhere.

I'd say give him a chance. A few years behind Farve will be great for his development. Would be nice to have a shot at some continuity after Farve retires instead of something like the QB merry-go-round that Chicago has. I would rather have Rodgers ready to go than have nothing when Farve retires.

Why does the f in Farve not capitalize.... :shock:

GBRulz
08-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I admit, i was not a big Favre fan in the beginning. Not so much because of his play, but because of his demeanor around town. To say it as nice as possibly, the guy was a complete ass, which made it easier for me to call for his benching. Seeing how he has turned his life around is probably what I admire most about him. he is a person first, a football player 2nd.

Living in a small town, you get to see those kinds of things where out of towners don't. We don't have the VIP lounges for the players to escape to here, so we're all kinda mixed together when it comes to night life. Or lack of!

Twice now I've chatted with Rodgers. Very nice kid. but like I said, he can wait 2 more years :wink:

Bretsky
08-24-2006, 11:09 PM
I admit, i was not a big Favre fan in the beginning. Not so much because of his play, but because of his demeanor around town. To say it as nice as possibly, the guy was a complete ass, which made it easier for me to call for his benching. Seeing him how he has turned his life around is probably what I admire most about him. he is a person first, a football player 2nd.

Living in a small town, you get to see those kinds of things where out of towners don't. We don't have the VIP lounges for the players to escape to here, so we're all kinda mixed together when it comes to night life. Or lack of!

Twice now I've chatted with Rodgers. Very nice kid. but like I said, he can wait 2 more years :wink:

So if Favre was a Jerk, maybe it wasn't my drunen stupored wife's fault when she got up on that stool and cussed Favre out on the bachelorette party ??????????????

HarveyWallbangers
08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
I heard he was your stereotypical 23-year-old rural Mississippi drunk when he got to town. Full of snot and vinegar, and occasionally getting into bar tussles.

GBRulz
08-24-2006, 11:27 PM
So if Favre was a Jerk, maybe it wasn't my drunen stupored wife's fault when she got up on that stool and cussed Favre out on the bachelorette party ??????????????

heck no and I've always loved that story about her !!

GBRulz
08-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I heard he was your stereotypical 23-year-old rural Mississippi drunk when he got to town. Full of snot and vinegar, and occasionally getting into bar tussles.

yes, many fights. In fact some of the Appleton bars had banned him because of it.

He liked to walk on Brown County Golf Course whenever he'd like, too. My friend used to be the Golf Pro there. He would show up with a group of guys and just start golfing. No tee times, didn't pay and would toss beer cans all over the place.

Terry
08-25-2006, 05:02 AM

Plus, I was quite busy fiercely arguing with my in laws, who I'd classify as football morons. They vehemently hated Favre and called for his benching with little or no patience, and I fought them from day one. At my lowest point of Favre backing, I still would not give in and say their views had credibility.

Thank God things turned out how they did. BTW, they never repented. But in laws never do.

Oh, what a small world! I didn't know someone in your family married into Cheez's family... interesting!

KYPack
08-25-2006, 09:52 AM
I admit, i was not a big Favre fan in the beginning. Not so much because of his play, but because of his demeanor around town. To say it as nice as possibly, the guy was a complete ass, which made it easier for me to call for his benching. Seeing him how he has turned his life around is probably what I admire most about him. he is a person first, a football player 2nd.

Yes, there are many (basically true) tales of Brett's drunked up, obnoxious behavior as a pup. Wolf called Favre after he was arrested in a bar fight (w/ Deanna BTW) in Miss. Wolf told Brett (a Packer for like two months) "When ya get in a fight Brett, ya gotta kick the other guy's ass". Wolf knew a QB that parties is an old NFL tradition from Bobby Layne to Joe Namath. QB's can be assholes and still be leaders.

B, your story sounds cool. Get on the keys and tell us more.

Details, more fabric, man.

Scott Campbell
08-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm so happy that my own young adulthood wasn't so meticulously chronicled.