PDA

View Full Version : Question for you guys...

GrnBay007
10-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Just want some opinions on this situation. Most of you know my son plays pop warner football. Today he came home from practice and said he hated such and such a coach. I asked why and he said he was really mean today at practice. He said they were working on punt returns and the kids lined up on O were supposed to find someone to tackle. He was on D. One kid didn't tackle anyone and he hollered at him. Next time he didnt' tackle anyone again and the coach grabs the back of his jersey, pulls him back about 3 steps and then pushes him full force into 2 of the D players ...my son being one of them. All 3 fall to the ground. He said the coach did this to two different kids today. Does that sound right for 9-10 yr olds?

This is tough for me. The mom in me wants to say he shouldn't be touching those kids but I also know how football is. I just think that's extreme for 9-10 yr olds. opinions?

HarveyWallbangers
10-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Tough call. I coached 9-10 year olds, and that really wasn't my style. I saw other coaches that did stuff like that. I guess I don't prefer it at that age. However, unless it gets abusive, it's probably best to let it slide.

It's tough though because you don't want your kid getting turned off at a young age. However, to play football you have to have a tough, disciplined mentality. If your kid doesn't have that mentality, football might not be the best sport for him.

woodbuck27
10-08-2006, 01:30 AM
This is easy.

If "in fact" that coach used that manner of physical force (abuse) on a boy 9-10 years of age is irrelevant that is certainly not to be excused or otherwise explained away.

You have to simply go to the that coach and straight up ask for his side of it...then follow up as your guts will tell you.

Tarlam!
10-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Seven, never played American Football, but I played rugby, starting aged 5. That is a ferocious game.

I know the impact of collision in AF is difficult to compare to any other game, but, in Rugby, aggressive play is expected from forwards, finesse play from backs.

So, we teach our forwards to tackle the opposing ball carrying forwards so that it hurts the guy carrying the ball. Back, being faster than most forwards, are tackled by opposing backs.

But we teach them technique. I mostly plyed as a forward. No coach ever did anything remotely similar to me or any of my team. But I was taught to use my shoulder, to hit the thigh or tackle around the bootlaces (guy can't run without feet).

We would hit sand sacks. Hard. Shoulder first.

But no coach I ever saw in Rugby did what your son's coach did. I know, my Dad would have flattened any coach that laid hand to me.

Kiwon
10-08-2006, 04:16 AM
Seven, I would monitor the situation closely and ask other parents who had kids coached by this guy about their experiences. This single incident does not sound like abuse but the key thing is whether the coach has a pattern of letting his temper get out of control. If he is that type of person what might he do the next time?

My son took over 2 years of Taekwondo in Korea and there was a lot of yelling and physical punishment for errors. That stuff wouldn't fly in the USA. Sometimes he would get his feelings hurt, but he also become tougher and more disciplined for it. The intangible is really your child's personality. Does it do more harm than good to his psyche he be around that kind of coach?

If the guy has some coaching skills he won't be a one-trick pony. If he continually resorts to yelling and physical intimidation then I would complain and get my son out of there. I'm a little biased, but after reading about all the BS going on in the USA involving children being harmed, I don't think you can be vigilant enough in protecting your children.

Patler
10-08-2006, 08:41 AM
He did this to two different kids? I suspect you will see it happen again.

A good coach developes a skill related to the sport in every activity the players do, even if it is an activity for "punishment". What did this teach the boys about football? Absolutely nothing. Being grabbed by the jersey and pushed into other players taught them nothing.

The coach would have been better served to let the reluctant players walk through a tackling drill, gradually increasing the speed and distance before the tackle. In this way he could build their confidence while developing proper technique. What he did accomplished nothing, in my opinion.

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 08:47 AM
You make a valid point, Patler. Punishment is notably the least effective method of teaching whereas positive reinforcement for the correct movement will work much better.

red
10-08-2006, 09:13 AM
i don't like a grown guy puching around a bunch of 9 and 10 year olds. when i was that age and playing sports it was all for fun. no one really got yelled at, the coaches would help us a long and coach us, but wouldn't go off on us if we didn't do it right

of course by jr. high and high school that changed, winning mattered now, and coaches dememnded to win. maybe in today's society things have just changed where winning at a young age is required more then having fun

i'd maybe try and watch a practise from a distance, or talk to someone that has watched one, and get a second opinion on what happened. nothing against your son, but as we all know, first person point of view in the heat of the moment might not be as bad as what really happened.

Scott Campbell
10-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Today he came home from practice and said he hated such and such a coach.

I'd listen to you son. If it's not typical for him to complain, then I'd trust his instincts. If he felt it was over the line, then it probably was. It's certainly a good opportunity to talk with him about how some coaches/teachers/people in life won't be as good at their jobs as others.

Badgepack
10-08-2006, 10:49 AM
The coach is an ass.

But, growing up, your child will have other coaches, teachers, bosses, ect., that will be asses. It's hard, but kids need to learn that and adapt.

GrnBay007
10-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Well, the lil Bears won on Sunday. :D

Thanks for all the opinions/suggestions.
That was a tough situation that day....at that very moment when he's telling me this story of course my first thoughts were to be angry at this coach and verbalize my feelings (not really good at keeping things in :razz: ). But I was afraid my reaction my have an affect on how he felt about going back out there to play Sunday. I kept it pretty short and sweet initially....did anyone get hurt? ....maybe it's his way of turning little guys into big tough football players. Joked a bit and got him laughing. The next day we talked about how different coaches will have different styles...some good, some not so good.

Bottom line, decided to keep it lite and watch this guy like a hawk from here on out. I will say though, of all the coaches...there are 5 of them....he by far does the most talking up/praising the kids when they come off the field during the games. The kids played hard on Sunday not allowing the other team any points. They are on a 2 game winning streak after not winning a game last season and the first 3 of this season.....maybe coach X put a fire under them. :shock:

BEARMAN
10-10-2006, 12:22 AM
You make a valid point, Patler. Punishment is notably the least effective method of teaching whereas positive reinforcement for the correct movement will work much better.
Ziggy, this is just getting too freaky for me, :shock: but you sir are 110% correct. I have been a city coach for over 10 years, I get more out of a kid by challenging him then buy abusing him. You get kids to "want" to play/preform for you, you got the job done. GB007, moving a player into the right position, or correcting a stance is ok, but to place ones hands on a kid to motivate them is wrong in my book.
PS: He plays for the "lil BEARS" ? Be still my lil hart... LOL

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
10-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Bearman. Something to disagree about here...I ain't no SIR!!! You are entirely incorrect on that point. It's ma'am to you. You are totally, totally wrong on that one. Feel better? :mrgreen:

BEARMAN
10-10-2006, 10:50 PM
&^$@%$&* How does one tell gender in here ? Pardon me maam, I thought you had differant pluming. :oops:

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
10-10-2006, 10:53 PM
I know, it can be hard to tell. That's because Packer women know our football.

GrnBay007
10-10-2006, 10:56 PM

GO BEARS !

Yeah, mom wasn't real thrilled when the news came out...lol There is a thread in RR someplace about it....what to do when a relative plays for the bears. some pretty funny responses in it!!

Bretsky
10-10-2006, 10:57 PM
&^$@%$&* How does one tell gender in here ? Pardon me maam, I thought you had differant pluming. :oops:

GO BEARS !

FYI,

Ziggy, 007, Mazzin, GBRulz, and FavreChild are all gal posters on here a lot. The others will have excuse my crummy memory due to old age and memory loss from having to live with three girls year round :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 06:34 AM
Ziggy, this is just getting too freaky for me, :shock: but you sir are 110% correct. I have been a city coach for over 10 years, I get more out of a kid by challenging him then buy abusing him. You get kids to "want" to play/preform for you, you got the job done. GB007, moving a player into the right position, or correcting a stance is ok, but to place ones hands on a kid to motivate them is wrong in my book.

GO BEARS !

:idea: BEARMAN: :idea:

Ziggy, this is just getting too freaky for me, :shock: * but you sir are 110% correct.

* that should be... but you Lady :mrgreen:

PS:

Whoooopssss.

It appears that YOU BEARMAN and 'the Lady'... have discovered some TRUTH that may have seperated YOU to this point in time.

May this insight into who you really are... this sudden enlightenment, awaken in you mutually "a magic discovery - a treasure of sorts ". :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 06:50 AM

GO BEARS !

FYI,

Ziggy, 007, Mazzin, GBRulz, and FavreChild are all gal posters on here a lot. The others will have excuse my crummy memory due to old age and memory loss from having to live with three girls year round :mrgreen:

Another 'Lady' Packer fan on this board is justanotherpackfan. :mrgreen:

BEARMAN
10-11-2006, 10:11 PM
LOL @ woodbuck27 ! Thank you for the "insight", but just ponder, for one moment.... A dyed in the wool BEARS fan, and a True Packerbacker, ..... NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW that thought is toooooooo discomforting, ... :shock:

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
10-11-2006, 10:20 PM
It's ok, Bear, I'm a married woman. Secondly, I now kind of understand why we were agreeing. It all makes sense to me now.

BEARMAN
10-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Please be so kind as to whisper it in my ear then , ... cos I am still confused. :wink:

GO BEARS !

GrnBay007
10-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I am still confused. :wink:

I wouldn't get too worried....confusion with bear fans is very common. :razz:

BEARMAN
10-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Touche'

GrnBay007
10-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Touche'

:D

MJZiggy
10-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, really it's quite easy, Bear. I'll break it down for you. We agree in terms of behavior modification because of dog training. I have a couple of dogs, one of whom was a rescue and withered under leash corrections. I had to study canine behavior modification and learning, and learned Pryor's methods and research as I'm sure you did too. And I'm positive that you learned in the process that these methods were applicable to human learning as well. The behavior is repeated to obtain the reward.

Haynesworth committed assault on the field, which was copletely over the line (I hope Fisher benches and then cuts him) that's not too hard to agree about and, finally,

Who could manage to not respect Reggie White? The man was a legend on and off the field and left us way too soon. It's not hard to agree about that. So there you have it

BEARMAN
10-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I am getting that tingly feeling again..... :oops: Can't you just feel the luv in here, pretty soon cats and dogs will be getting along, oil and water will mix, and BEARS and Packer fans will walk off into the sunset , ... holding hands..... :shock: WAIT, ................. That was a dream, no that was a Nightmare ! :twisted: Dogs hate cats, Oli and water do NOT mix, and BEARS and Packer fans will never getalong ! :razz:

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
10-13-2006, 04:07 PM
It was just an explanation there, dear. Let's not kid ourselves, you team still bites even if they don't suck anymore. There just happens to be some common ground away from football. :mrgreen: :razz:

BEARMAN
10-13-2006, 10:45 PM
LOL, just jerkin your chain Ziggy. I understand and agree, that being said, dont think for one hot second that I will not flame you and/or your team every chance I get ! :wink:

GO BEARS !

Packers4Ever
10-15-2006, 10:59 PM

GO BEARS !

FYI,

Another 'Lady' Packer fan on this board is justanotherpackfan. :mrgreen:

HEY! Me too :razz:

BEARMAN
10-15-2006, 11:03 PM
You too ? Are you afflicted with some thing ? Is it contagious ?

GO BEARS !

MJZiggy
10-16-2006, 07:23 AM
She's a female.

Iron Mike
10-16-2006, 08:18 AM
<==thinks that Chewybacca has a double set of X chromosomes, too! :cool:

MJZiggy
10-16-2006, 08:24 AM
But I'm not sure Buck's right about japf. Methinks he was thinking of someone else.