PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Greats

Tarlam!
10-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Since my knowledge of the history of the game is not that far reaching, I wonder how many sons of NFL greats are making it, apart from Sims and the Mannings. Maybe other Packer Rats can add to the list.

Also, why is it Reggie White's son didn't turn out like Reggie?

In Australia, we have a tonne of "sons" making it...

Brando19
10-08-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't know how anyone can call Archie Manning a great. I don't recall him ever doing anything above average. To me, he's a Kerry Collins.

Rastak
10-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Since my knowledge of the history of the game is not that far reaching, I wonder how many sons of NFL greats are making it, apart from Sims and the Mannings. Maybe other Packer Rats can add to the list.

Doesn't the AFL actually have "father-son" rule that gives the fathers team first rights to the son as a player?

Kellen Winslow was a great player. Probably the best example is in American baseball, where Bobby Bonds kid seems to have done pretty well.

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I don't know how anyone can call Archie Manning a great. I don't recall him ever doing anything above average. To me, he's a Kerry Collins.

Can't just look at stats. This was era before free agency and salary cap when bad teams could keep sucking and sucking. I saw him play once, he was damn good. He was named NFC player of the year despite being on a terrible team. That's not Kerry Collins.

Fosco33
10-08-2006, 09:48 AM

There have been 122 father-son pairs and threesomes that have played in the NFL. The list includes names such as Dorsett (Tony and Anthony); Farr (Mel, Sr., Mel, Jr. and Mike); Jones (Dub and Bert); Kiick(George and Jim); Manning (Archie and Peyton); Matthews (Clay, Sr., Clay, Jr. and Bruce); Metcalf (Terry and Eric); and Shula (Don, Dave and Mike).

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Payton (Walter & Jarrett), Hunt (Lamar & Cletedius)

KYPack
10-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Actually, there are quite a few Fathers and Son combo's that have made it in the NFL:

Terry and Erik Metcalf were both effective pro rb's and return guys for the Cards and the Browns

Elijah and Ron Pitts both played for the Pack

Brad and Ed Budde were effective offensive guards for the Chiefs

Billy Ray Smith Sr and Jr were all pro's for the Colts & Chargers and both had long NFL careers.

The one story that doesn't get told much is Matt Suhey.
His grandfather (Bob Higgins) played in the early NFL for the Canton bulldogs.
His father played for (Steve) played for the Steelers.
His Mom played for an early womens' pro football league. She was reputedly one of the greatest female football players of all time.
Matt played for the Bears for 10 years. He played hard and was a foil for Walter Payton's practical jokes.

The Mannings are famous F/S combo. Anybody who says Archie was poor player wasn't looking. He played effectively behind one of the worst teams in NFL history and has the universal respect of his fellow players.

There are over 100 pairs of NFL fathers and sone.

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2006, 10:03 AM

In Australia you have a bunch of guys descended from convicts. The acorn doesn't fall too far from the tree.

sepporepi
10-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Here is a (complete) list:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/fathers.jsp

Related:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/brothers.jsp

Brando19
10-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Well..everyone has their opinion. If I had to choose from Archie Manning or Kerry Collins in their prime, I'd want Kerry Collins on my team.
Also, I'm so sick of the Manning family period. Eli sucks. He refused to go to the Chargers on draft day, and some may say his dad was behind that. But with that attitude, he sucks in my book. And Peyton...he'll never win a Super Bowl. Maybe if he devoted his ENTIRE time to playing rather than making stupid cheesy commercials...some of which make fun of the working man...he'd be able to take his team that extra step.

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Would it be evil of me to hope that Peyton sprains something, not bad, just enough to keep him out of one game so I don't have to hear about how he's the "other ironman?" There is no other iron man.

Brando19
10-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Would it be evil of me to hope that Peyton sprains something, not bad, just enough to keep him out of one game so I don't have to hear about how he's the "other ironman?" There is no other iron man.

AMEN ZIGGY! I couldn't have said it better myself!

HarveyWallbangers
10-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Matt Hasselbeck's Dad played TE for New England, I believe.

KYPack
10-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Matt Hasselbeck's Dad played TE for New England, I believe.

Don Hasselbeck from Cincinnati.

Don's claim to fame is that he once played in the Special Olympic's golf scramble with KY Pack.

He's a great guy and we got crushed, but had more fun than any of the other teams.

KYPack
10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Well..everyone has their opinion. If I had to choose from Archie Manning or Kerry Collins in their prime, I'd want Kerry Collins on my team.
Also, I'm so sick of the Manning family period. Eli sucks. He refused to go to the Chargers on draft day, and some may say his dad was behind that. But with that attitude, he sucks in my book. And Peyton...he'll never win a Super Bowl. Maybe if he devoted his ENTIRE time to playing rather than making stupid cheesy commercials...some of which make fun of the working man...he'd be able to take his team that extra step.

Archie played 17 years in the league and has universal repect of both the coaches and players. Collins is a decent QB, but he's pretty much regarded as an average guy that played QB.

Archie gave guidance to his kids bc he got screwed when he was drafted by one of the worst organizations in league history. What's wrong with using your experience to help your own kids?

A. I think you are dead nuts wrong.
B. you got some kind of "Anti-Manning" hangup?

You ever see Archie play?

He was tougher than a Waffle house steak.