PDA

View Full Version : Chris Havel column: Can the Packers follow lead of mighty 49

Tarlam!
10-08-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061008/PKR07/610080679/1989

By Chris Havel

At the end of one quarter, it's Opponents 115, Packers 67.

In three of four games, the Packers have been outplayed, out-coached and outscored. Too bad they can't outsource today's noon game against the St. Louis Rams to an NFC power like San Francisco.

The 49ers upset the Rams 20-13 on Sept. 17 at Monster Park in San Francisco. They committed just two penalties, one turnover and zero defensive lapses. They racked up six sacks and surrendered none. They held St. Louis to a paltry 147 yards passing.

Given the Rams' offensive firepower and the 49ers' overall ineptitude, the question is how? The answer is Frank Gore. The 49ers' running back sounds like he should be starring in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" rather than the NFL. Don't be fooled. Gore rushed 29 times for 127 yards and a touchdown while tearing up the Rams.

Back in the day, that was business as usual for Ahman Green.

Today, it is wishful thinking.

Green is one of the greatest running backs in Packers history. He just can't play that way anymore, at least not week in and week out. A new offense and old injuries are to Green what kryptonite is to Superman. What is No. 30 supposed to do when neither fight nor flight is a viable response? Not long ago, Green did both, often on the same play.

If only he could fly, if only for a day.

For the Packers to have a prayer of defeating the Rams, two things must happen. The defensive backs can't play like turnstiles, and Green has to turn back the clock. As NFL seasons go, the Packers are fast approaching daylight savings time.

A loss today and it is lights out.

Perhaps Green can get by with a little help from his friends, namely the offensive linemen, tight ends and fullback. Perhaps he can bring to life the country lyrics, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Perhaps.

The reality is Green's hamstring is questionable and the Packers' outlook is doubtful. If Green can't deliver, the Packers need Vernand Morency to carry the modest momentum he gained at Philadelphia into today's game, and the Rams' secondary.

Morency has skills. What he lacks is experience. It was reflected in his fumble in the Packers' red zone, and his inability to corral a Brett Favre pass before it bounced off his facemask and became an interception.

For as much criticism as the Packers' defensive secondary has received, and rightfully so, the running game has been equally to blame for a 1-3 start.

At times, it appears Packers coach Mike McCarthy has abandoned the running game, but how does one abandon something that doesn't exist?

It is a Lambeau-sized leap to think Green can transform today's game into a stroll down memory lane. It is a long shot to think Morency suddenly will emerge.

Then again, Green doesn't have to be as good as he once was, and neither does Morency. They just have to be as good as Frank Gore, and the Packers have to be as good as the 49ers, if only for a day.

If that is too much to ask, there's not much else to say.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at chavel@greenbay.gannett.com

Tarlam!
10-08-2006, 08:33 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061008/PKR01/610080676/1989

Posted October 8, 2006

All-out blitz: 3 things to watch in today's game

Dendy on the spot

Not that there's ever a good time for such a change, but this is a tough week for the Packers to break in a new nickel defensive back, probably Patrick Dendy, after cutting Ahmad Carroll. The Rams have one of the best receiver pairs in the NFL with Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, who though they are 33 and 30, respectively, remain quality players with big-play talent. Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders will do everything he can to keep starting cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Al Harris matched against them, but Rams coach Scott Linehan will do everything he can to get Bruce or Harris matched with Dendy whenever possible. Plus, the Rams' No. 3 receiver, Kevin Curtis, is a speedster who could burn Dendy for a big play or two if the second-year pro isn't ready for his prime-time assignment. The Packers' secondary has been giving up big plays all year, and the Rams have the receivers to torch it a fifth straight week if Sanders can't shore up the communications, techniques and assignments in the secondary.

Change of Pace?

Rams left tackle Orlando Pace missed last week's game because of a concussion and is listed as questionable for today. He practiced Thursday and Friday, which suggests he'll probably be available. His backup is 35-year-old Todd Steussie, the former Vikings left tackle who's lost too much mobility for the position and belongs at guard, where he's started two games this season. If Pace can't go, that opens the door for defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila to have a big day against Steussie pressuring quarterback Marc Bulger, which could affect the Rams' passing game. If Pace plays, KGB's chances of making much of an impact as a rusher decline dramatically.

Trouble on offense

The biggest issue with the Packers' offense is whether Donald Driver, their best receiver, will be able to play through a side and hip injury. He missed practice Friday for further tests because of persistent discomfort in his side, so the matter is in doubt. Without him, quarterback Brett Favre could be in rough shape. Even with him, will this be the game the Packers sustain a running game? It's been the bane of their offense. Ahman Green is back from his hamstring injury and will start, and last week against Philadelphia, the Packers found out s backup Vernand Morency brings some quickness to their cut-back run game, though he lacks Green's power. The problem is, Morency played a major role in a huge turnover by botching a handoff from quarterback Brett Favre deep in Packers territory, and failing to catch a pass from Favre that turned into an interception. Morency rushed for 99 yards last week against Philadelphia, but as his 3.8-yard average suggests, the Packers aren't gashing anyone on the ground. Considering the state of their offensive line, with two rookies starting at guard in Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz, the Packers need to run the ball better to give Favre much of a chance in the passing game. St. Louis ranks 22nd in the NFL in rushing yards allowed and 24th in yards allowed per carry, so maybe this will be the game in which the zone-blocking scheme gains some traction.

— Pete Dougherty, pdougher@ greenbaypressgazette.com

Oscar
10-08-2006, 08:43 AM
When Havel says he hopes the Pack can be as good as the Niners today.. I truly hope he isn't talkin about the Niners that the Chiefs handed a full blown A$$ whooopin to last week. :shock: :lol: I know what he means I just thought it was funny..

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Quite frankly, I'm far more worried about whether Driver will even play than I am about whether Green will suddenly regain his lost youth. And while I'm at it, it drives me NUTS when people assume that since a player is lacking experience, there is no way he can put in a good performance. Morency can't have a good game because he doesn't have a decade of experience? He doesn't have to have a breakout game, but if the line gives him some room he will likely move the ball. Oh right, I forgot. That's not possible because the line doesn't have much experience. :roll:

KYPack
10-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Zig,

Rookies.

Rookies get yer ass beat.

that's why people say these things.

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Remind me to call Greg Jennings and let him know that. He keeps playing as if he has experience. He'll have to knock it off because he's a rookie.

Fritz
10-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Normally I try to be hopeful, but the last couple of days I've been feeling gloomy about the direction of this organization. TT's mishandling of Blackmon, the apparent lack of unity in the secondary, the gashing of the defense generally, the abandonment of the running game - all of these point to a team that doesn't have a clear direction.

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Methinks you're reading too much, Fritz. All of your worries sound eerily familiar...

It's gameday people. The Rams are a good team, but they're not the Eagles. They're not invincible. The 49ers beat them for god's sakes. DD is playing, the running game showed a little life last week and we have a Pro Bowl kick returner against one of the worst kick coverage teams in the league. It's not undoable.