PDA

View Full Version : Post St. Louis Rams Game Chat With Cleft Crusty

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi Folks, Cleft Crusty here. Time to chat. I've made my way down to the bowels of Lambeau Field where my 28K dial up modem, provided free of charge by my newspaper, is up and running. It was awfully quiet as I made my way through stunned fans. Will you guys make some noise on the forum or is the "season over" as I heard many claim as I passed through the atrium?

BallHawk
10-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Why do we fumble so much?

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Cleft,

This isn't the first time in the last few years we've come out of the gate 1 and 4. Is there any hope for a turnaround?

Brainerd
10-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Who will be cut this week?

Why is Sanders still the DC?

When will TT and his handpicked staff admit they are rebuilding?

Who will be the HC, OC and DC when the Packers start winning again?

Cleft Crusty
Why do we fumble so much?

You've got a rookie RB, who was drafted late, cut, ended up at the worst team in the NFL, and was traded for with a RB (Gado) who hardly played in college, and fumbled in the pros as well. Was it Thomas Paine or the musical group Rush that claimed "You don't get something for nothing."

retailguy
cleft.

Will we make a trade before the 17th?

Fosco33
10-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Hi Cleft,

This isn't the first time in the last few years we've come out of the gate 1 and 4. Is there any hope for a turnaround?

From packers.com

A return to the NFC Championship slipped painfully through the Packers' fingers in 2003. Donovan McNabb led the Eagles to a come-from-behind, 20-17 overtime win to end an emotional Packers run in the Divisional playoffs.

The loss snapped a memorable five-game winning streak. The stretch included changes to three of the most-revered records in Packers history (Forrest Gregg's 33-year-old consecutive-games streak, broken by Favre; Jim Taylor's 41-year-old season rushing record, Green; and Don Hutson's 58-year-old career scoring mark, Ryan Longwell). One day after the death of his father, Favre turned in the best game of his career, throwing for four TDs in a 41-7 win at Oakland. Then, Green Bay captured an improbable division title in the last two minutes of the season, when Arizona upset Minnesota and the Lambeau Field crowd broke the news to the Packers. Green Bay was in position to pass the Vikings thanks to its 7-2 record after the bye.

Green spearheaded the best running offense in Packers history, as the club captured nearly every franchise rushing mark. Favre led the NFL in TD passes a fourth time to tie a league record, throwing 19 of his 32 scores with a broken right thumb.

Adding to the hallmark of Sherman's tenure, the Packers overcame more adversity in 2004 to finish 10-6, winning a third straight division title. After an emotional kickoff-weekend win on a Monday night at Carolina, the defending NFC champion, Green Bay dropped four straight, its roughest start (1-4) since 1991.

Brando19
10-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Cleft...
Will Favre be benched at some point in the season to play Rogers?

MadtownPacker
Cleft - Is this one all on Favre?

Cleft Crusty
Hi Cleft,

Not really. If you look at years past where the Packers have turned it around, there were skill players that emerged (2000), or schedules that got easier (2004). I can't see any skill players emerging anywhere on the Packers roster, and their schedule gets tougher, except for 3-4 games in December. Plus, Favre is the most talented guy on the team, and you can see what happens when he has a rough stretch. The Packers grind to halt on offense. Perhaps you have some leaves to rake, a driveway to coat, etc.?

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Cleft - Is this one all on Favre?

He takes some blame, sure. Mostly for poor passing in the second hal;f. But without him, do you think they come back? Also, he didn't fumble in the first half, and he didn't drop passes late. The final play on which he fumbled, he had 2 seconds before he was hit. Little came on a stunt and neither the RB out of the backfield, nor Tony Moll recognized the stunt and shifted to help. Perhaps the play call - leaving Favre in the pocket - could be questioned.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Cleft...
Will Favre be benched at some point in the season to play Rogers?

I think you'd have to be sure that A-rod was better. he's never shown it on the field, and unless he's playing lights out in practice, why would you do it? Favre, hurting from a neck injury still runs the team very well, and can make most of the throws.

Brando19
10-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Cleft,

Not really. If you look at years past where the Packers have turned it around, there were skill players that emerged (2000), or schedules that got easier (2004). I can't see any skill players emerging anywhere on the Packers roster, and their schedule gets tougher, except for 3-4 games in December. Plus, Favre is the most talented guy on the team, and you can see what happens when he has a rough stretch. The Packers grind to halt on offense. Perhaps you have some leaves to rake, a driveway to coat, etc.?

Dolphins, Cardinals, and Bills....those are our next 3 games. All three are beatable teams for us. I predict we'll end up 4-4 after the Bills game. Thoughts?

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 03:48 PM
cleft.

As far as I can tell, the Packers have no value to trade and no interest from other teams in anyone they have. Who would you trade? What could you get?

Brando19
10-08-2006, 03:49 PM
cleft.

As far as I can tell, the Packers have no value to trade and no interest from other teams in anyone they have. Who would you trade? What could you get?

I believe we should trade Manuel and a draft pick for a good player in secondary.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Do they need to admit something that's obvious?

Brainerd
10-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Hi Cleft,

Dolphins, Cardinals, and Bills....those are our next 3 games. All three are beatable teams for us. I predict we'll end up 4-4 after the Bills game. Thoughts?

Dolphins maybe. Leinart is currently torching a decent KC defense. The Bills were killed today by their turnovers, their D is decent so I don't know about them. Possibly. If we get 1 out of these 3 I'll be happy. Good time for a bye week.

Joemailman
10-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Cleft,

With Herron running for over 100 yards, will Ahman Green be the starter when he returns after the bye week?

Cleft Crusty
cleft.

I believe we should trade Manuel and a draft pick for a good player in secondary.

Can you name one team that would want Manuel? Yes, you could trade picks, but who would you get for them. What are you trying to accomplish? Practically speaking, TT has shown that he values picks, so it's almost a certainty that he will not trade any.

Brainerd

Do they need to admit something that's obvious?

It would be nice considering they said that they were going to be honest with the fans. Why hide the obvious?

Brando19
10-08-2006, 03:54 PM
cleft.

Can you name one team that would want Manuel? Yes, you could trade picks, but who would you get for them. What are you trying to accomplish? Practically speaking, TT has shown that he values picks, so it's almost a certainty that he will not trade any.

You're right...TT values picks...which is why our team sucks.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Cleft,

With Herron running for over 100 yards, will Ahman Green be the starter when he returns after the bye week?

That's a great question. I think you have to think that the Packer O-line has improved in the run blocking, and that's why both Herron and Morenecy are getting more yards. I think the Packers will have to decide if Green is returning as explosive as before. Green is also much better in the passing game. Morency appears to have learned Green's running technique, indo much as he was seen carrying the ball in the wrong arm several times. I think Green at 80% should start.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 03:57 PM

I should have been specific. I meant after the Dolphins and the Cardinals the schedule appears to get more difficult. The Packers are a marginal team that can lose to any team. The Cardinals can throw the ball around the yard and the Dolphins might be able to stifle the Packer offense. I think when you're playing close games against average to poor teams like Detroit and St. Louis, you can't look at any game and say "that looks like a win"

BallHawk
10-08-2006, 04:11 PM
Is Driver more injured than what we were told? He looked bad today.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Is Driver more injured than what we were told? He looked bad today.

He couldn't have been 100%. Chavous isn't much in coverage, and Brown was only so-so at his last stop with the Saints. I don't know how many plays Ty Hill covered, but there appeared to be no extra rolled coverage towards Driver. there appeared to be saftey help for coverage on Jennings and Robinson most of the afternoon.

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Hey Cleft,

Nice day for football, great weather means that new hip must be feeling pretty good about now.

Harlan Huckleby
10-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Cleft,

Will you be travelling to Miami in two weeks to cover the game? How do you safeguard your pasty complexion?

BallHawk
10-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Cleft, what are you going to do tonight to sooth the pain of defeat?

retailguy
10-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Cleft,

anyone deserve to be "waived" this week?

VegasPackFan
10-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Cleft,

About your "notes" you are always referring to:

I heard that someone got a look at those notes recently, and all they say is "All work and no play makes Cleft a dull boy" over and over again.

What gives?

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Hey Cleft,

Nice day for football, great weather means that new hip must be feeling pretty good about now.

Sorry, I had to step out for a minute. I was just getting a dog and having a smoke, and the old ticker stopped ticking. Fortunately, a Packer trainer was still around and got me resuscitated - it took two hits with the paddles. Anyway, I got a bag of chips and I'm back.

Zig: My hip is Okay but I have a little chest pain, and the smell of burnt flesh on my chest is annoying.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Cleft,

Will you be travelling to Miami in two weeks to cover the game? How do you safeguard your pasty complexion?

Sunblock SPF 45. I also have a madras shirt and a nice wide-brimmed floppy hat. I have some nice white sweat socks that I wear up to my knees to keep my vericose veins in check, too.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Cleft, what are you going to do tonight to sooth the pain of defeat?

You guys just don't get it. I couldn't care less who wins or loses. I get paid $200 a week and free erasers no matter the outcome.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Cleft,

Didn't Morency fumble away a drive that cost the Packers 7 points? And he fumbled on a another play, resulting in a long stretch on the pine. Still, he returned in the second half, so I guess they'll keep him another two weeks at least. After all, he wasn't a number one draft pick.

Joemailman
10-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Cleft,

Is it true you're gonna try to give Fruit Of The Loom some competition with a line of clothing called Cleft's Crusty Underwear?

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Cleft,

About your "notes" you are always referring to:

I heard that someone got a look at those notes recently, and all they say is "All work and no play makes Cleft a dull boy" over and over again.

What gives?

HERE'S JOHNNNYY! Seriously, I hate it when my editor 'Overlooks' my notes.

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Cleft,

Is it true you're gonna try to give Fruit Of The Loom some competition with a line of clothing called Cleft's Crusty Underwear?

If they got those models to wear 'em, I bet they could sell 'em.

motife
10-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey, Cleft. What did you think of the "big play" ratio today?

How 'bout that Tony Fisher?

40 3-5-GB48 (11:20) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass short right to To.Fisher pushed ob at GB 8 for 40 yards (T.Culver).

24 2-7-STL23 (13:13) M.Bulger pass deep middle to J.Klopfenstein to SL 47 for 24 yards (M.Manuel).

22 1-10-GB49 (2:06) M.Bulger pass short right to T.Holt to GB 27 for 22 yards (N.Barnett).

21 1-15-STL15 (6:36) M.Bulger pass deep middle to S.McDonald to SL 36 for 21 yards (M.Manuel, N.Collins). GB-N.Collins was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

18 3-10-STL34 (12:55) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass short right to I.Bruce pushed ob at GB 48 for 18 yards (M.Manuel). Penalty on GB-A.Harris, Defensive Holding, declined.

17 1-10-STL36 (6:07) M.Bulger pass short right to S.Jackson pushed ob at GB 47 for 17 yards (T.Culver). Penalty on GB, Defensive 12 On-field, declined.

15 3-15-STL15 (12:05) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass short right to To.Fisher to SL 30 for 15 yards (M.Manuel, C.Woodson).

14 1-10-GB45 (6:38) S.Jackson up the middle to GB 31 for 14 yards (M.Manuel).

12 2-8-GB35 (12:12) M.Bulger right guard to GB 23 for 12 yards (K.Gbaja-Biamila).

12 2-8-STL38 (7:47) M.Bulger pass short right to T.Holt pushed ob at 50 for 12 yards (C.Woodson). Penalty on GB-A.Harris, Illegal Contact, declined.

11 3-26-STL4 (11:11) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass short left to To.Fisher to SL 15 for 11 yards (N.Collins, A.Hawk).

10 3-3-GB16 (10:16) (Shotgun) M.Bulger pass short right to K.Curtis ran ob at GB 6 for 10 yards (P.Dendy).

10 2-6-GB20 (5:40) M.Bulger pass short middle to S.Davis to GB 10 for 10 yards (C.Williams).

10 1-10-GB31 (5:59) S.Jackson right end to GB 21 for 10 yards (N.Collins).

Cleft Crusty
10-08-2006, 05:54 PM
That's four plays of 20 or more. I think the big play to Fisher for 40 happened just after Collins was hurt. I don't think the defense played all that poorly. Again it came down to big plays and missed opportunities. Three dropped interceptions and some chances to generate TDs over FGs. Who are the playmakers on this team?

Partial
10-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Cleft,

Didn't Morency fumble away a drive that cost the Packers 7 points? And he fumbled on a another play, resulting in a long stretch on the pine. Still, he returned in the second half, so I guess they'll keep him another two weeks at least. After all, he wasn't a number one draft pick.

But he was a high third that is a good enough back-up.