PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris

Brando19
10-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Bulger threw for two first-half touchdowns and extended his league-best interception-free streak to 214 attempts - thanks in large part to Packers cornerback Al Harris.

With the Rams leading 17-13 and driving late in the third quarter, Bulger threw Harris' way at the Green Bay 14, an errant pass that hit Harris in the numbers. But instead of running 95 yards down a clear path for a go-ahead touchdown, Harris dropped the ball.

This was on foxsports website. Is Harris slowly going downhill? Does anyone think we should trade him because he's not been the same Al Harris all season long. Thoughts?

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Then we'd have to trade Hawk and Woodson too. They both missed interceptions as well.

Joemailman
10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Harris does seem to be struggling. He's getting called for a couple of penalties a game. However, there won't be any meaningful trades. Harris probably won't ever get the contract he is looking for, but he'll be here for a while.

Brando19
10-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Then we'd have to trade Hawk and Woodson too. They both missed interceptions as well.

I understand they both missed INT...but TT already spent a billion dollars on Woodson and he is a decent punt returner..and AJ Hawk is a great Rookie just starting out. However, Harris has been here a while and he's already expressed his unhappiness with the team b/c of contract issues and because of some comments MM made. He's not playing the way he used to...or to his full potential.

retailguy
10-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Bulger threw for two first-half touchdowns and extended his league-best interception-free streak to 214 attempts - thanks in large part to Packers cornerback Al Harris.

With the Rams leading 17-13 and driving late in the third quarter, Bulger threw Harris' way at the Green Bay 14, an errant pass that hit Harris in the numbers. But instead of running 95 yards down a clear path for a go-ahead touchdown, Harris dropped the ball.

This was on foxsports website. Is Harris slowly going downhill? Does anyone think we should trade him because he's not been the same Al Harris all season long. Thoughts?

If you and I know that he's strugging, and appears to be going downhill, which GM (besides Millen) doesn't know that too?

Heck, TT would trade his mother if he thought he could get anything for her. NO ONE would trade for Harris right now.

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 05:12 PM
ROFLMAO. TT would trade his mother...priceless.

HarveyWallbangers
10-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Harris and Woodson played well in this game. Holt and Bruce combined for 5 receptions. Harris dropped an easy interception that he normally wouldn't. What are you going to do.

falco
10-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Harris and Woodson played well in this game. Holt and Bruce combined for 5 receptions. Harris dropped an easy interception that he normally wouldn't. What are you going to do.

Harris has never put up big INT numbers. He's always been a strong cover corner, usually shutting down receivers and keeping balls from being thrown their way.

I agree he's slipped this year, but he's still starting caliber, at least for us.

vince
10-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Nice game by the corners today. Shutting the St. Louis 1 and 2 receivers down is an accomplishment.

Manuel is confirming that he's too slow to cover and play a deep safety position, although he does play well around the line of scrimmage.

Dendy doesn't appear to be the answer, although Carroll wasn't either. Dendy was beaten on a few occasions, and got lucky on a couple overthrows...

woodbuck27
10-08-2006, 08:26 PM

Looking at the defensive stat's of todays game two things stood out:

a) Al Harris didn't have a tackle nor an * assisted tackle today.

Al Harris was "the invisable Packer".

b) Overall OUR defensive team had * 28 assisted tackles today compared to " the Rams " defence" with 8 in the same category.

HarveyWallbangers
10-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Woody,

It's usually a damn good thing when a corner doesn't have a tackle. Means he wasn't giving up many completions.

He had a good day overall. So did Woodson. Actually, I can't say Harris had a good day--because of the dropped interception. That was just too easy (and a gift). Otherwise, he had a solid game.

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't know if I'd call Harris the invisible Packer. They just didn't throw his way very often because his receiver was wearing him like a warm winter coat. Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce combined for 5 catches and 63 yards.

hurleyfan
10-08-2006, 08:42 PM

Harris has never put up big INT numbers. He's always been a strong cover corner, usually shutting down receivers and keeping balls from being thrown their way.

I agree he's slipped this year, but he's still starting caliber, at least for us.

And what about the pass interference call when Harris just "physicaled" his guy within the first 5 yards of LOS and got called for it :crazy:

Was this just a call because the Packers suck? I can't see Vasher or Sheppard getting this call...

woodbuck27
10-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Woody,

It's usually a damn good thing when a corner doesn't have a tackle. Means he wasn't giving up many completions.

He had a good day overall. So did Woodson. Actually, I can't say Harris had a good day--because of the dropped interception. That was just too easy (and a gift). Otherwise, he had a solid game.

Thanks Harvey.

I didn't see the game but of course tracked it via NFL.COM's Game Center.

That was pretty sluggish as the game neared an end for some reason.

Another disappointing loss. :roll:

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, if we're gonna get into officiating, why didn't they call the pass interference when Lee got pushed in the back on the left side of the field, and why didn't they call holding on Fisher's run on the other side? The proper call would have brought that one back.

gbgary
10-08-2006, 09:24 PM
i'm fine with harris. he played a good game today. on the touchdown he created the separation, from the receiver, himself when he pushed him at the line. that should be a no-no on a slant.

packers11
10-08-2006, 09:59 PM
people are saying if he picked that he would of been gone for a TD.. I would beg to differ, Holt was right on his back and i'm sure Bulger would of cut off the angle...

Thoughts??

Patler
10-08-2006, 10:04 PM
people are saying if he picked that he would of been gone for a TD.. I would beg to differ, Holt was right on his back and i'm sure Bulger would of cut off the angle...

Thoughts??

Bulger said it would have been 100 yards for a TD, and that he (Bulger) had no way of getting to Harris.

packers11
10-08-2006, 10:05 PM

Thoughts??

Bulger said it would have been 100 yards for a TD, and that he (Bulger) had no way of getting to Harris.

yea yea... I read that.... But if you replay the play, Holt is a foot behind him, and last time I checked Al harris isnt the fastest guy on the field.. His hair alone slows him down 5 mph :lol:

FavreChild
10-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Sure, it would have been great if we could have capitalized on an opportunity with that would-be INT.

But it's not even close to being the reason we lost. We could have, and should have, won rather handily without that INT. So to focus on Harris seems to be a red herring, in my opinion.

packers11
10-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Sure, it would have been great if we could have capitalized on an opportunity with that would-be INT.

But it's not even close to being the reason we lost. We could have, and should have, won rather handily without that INT. So to focus on Harris seems to be a red herring, in my opinion.

oh no, I know thats not the REASON we lost... It was many other reasons..... Just seeing what the fans thought, could Al harris burn past Holt... For sure, I thought it was caught, and he woulda been caught 10 yards later...

FavreChild
10-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I know that's not what you were saying. But others are going there, or at least are tempted to go there... :wink:

Patler
10-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I know that's not what you were saying. But others are going there, or at least are tempted to go there... :wink:

I do feel it is now clear that Al Harris is in rapid decline. This summer I expressed concern, because after being a stellar performer for the first 12 games or so last year, he looked very ordinary at the end of the season, was beaten with some regularity and was getting penalties. That has gotten worse this year.

In five games Harris as had 7 flags thrown against him, with 5 accepted and 2 declined. The breakdown
1 pass interference
1 face mask
2 illegal contact
3 holding.

He can still cover well at times, as shown today, but the end for him is nearing I'm afraid. He went something like 12 games last year without giving up a TD, but then gave up 2 at the end of the year, and I believe is responsible for coverage on at least 3 TDs already this year.

This is NOT a knock against Harris, just recognition that all athletes get old and decline. The trend in the last 8 games for Harris is not good.

packers11
10-08-2006, 10:42 PM

I do feel it is now clear that Al Harris is in rapid decline. This summer I expressed concern, because after being a stellar performer for the first 12 games or so last year, he looked very ordinary at the end of the season, was beaten with some regularity and was getting penalties. That has gotten worse this year.

In five games Harris as had 7 flags thrown against him, with 5 accepted and 2 declined. The breakdown
1 pass interference
1 face mask
2 illegal contact
3 holding.

He can still cover well at times, as shown today, but the end for him is nearing I'm afraid. He went something like 12 games last year without giving up a TD, but then gave up 2 at the end of the year, and I believe is responsible for coverage on at least 3 TDs already this year.

This is NOT a knock against Harris, just recognition that all athletes get old and decline. The trend in the last 8 games for Harris is not good.

:sad: ... Im starting to see it too, its sad because he was my favorite defender on the team.... Someone you could brag about being shutdown.... Hopfully this is just a couple of fluke games, because everyone up in NE knows him as the GOOD cb with crazy dreads :mrgreen:

Jimx29
10-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Harris for Moss *nodsnods*

packers11
10-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Harris for Moss *nodsnods*

HAHA, maybe next season, I could NEVER see it happening this season with the lack of talent we have at CB.... After Harris / Woodson, you mine as well throw favre in the mix to start at cb....

HarveyWallbangers
10-09-2006, 12:37 AM

Sure. Blame McCarthy or Thompson. Don't ever blame the players.

FavreChild
10-09-2006, 07:24 AM
You must be taking spin lessons from TT, Harvey.

Never said players weren't to blame for the loss. I did say that Al Harris not making an INT was not the reason for the loss. Technically he still did his job on that play; it was not a completion. If y'all want to discuss Harris and his abilities separate from blaming the loss on him, that's fine. If you want to say that ONE OF the reasons we loss was the secondary allowing too many passing yards, or poor coverage by the secondary, or whatever you want to call it, that's fine, too.

But scapegoating one player is BS, and it's too bad that some people are tempted to do that. But then again, I wonder where people learn that practice?

Joemailman
10-09-2006, 07:35 AM
You must be taking spin lessons from TT, Harvey.

Never said players weren't to blame for the loss. I did say that Al Harris not making an INT was not the reason for the loss. Technically he still did his job on that play; it was not a completion. If y'all want to discuss Harris and his abilities separate from blaming the loss on him, that's fine. If you want to say that ONE OF the reasons we loss was the secondary allowing too many passing yards, or poor coverage by the secondary, or whatever you want to call it, that's fine, too.

But scapegoating one player is BS, and it's too bad that some people are tempted to do that. But then again, I wonder where people learn that practice?

If you think Al Harris feels he did his job on the play in question, just look at his reaction after the play. It was the same reaction a receiver would have after dropping an easy would-be TD pass. Many games are decided by turnovers, and when a defense is presented with an opportunity, they need to take advantage. A.J. Hawk talked about this after the game in realtion to the INT that he dropped. The inability of the defense to come up with INT's was a huge factor in the loss today.

Patler
10-09-2006, 08:40 AM
The inability of the defense to come up with INT's was a huge factor in the loss today.

Why, just because the interceptions could have resulted in about a 16 point swing? :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
The inability of the defense to come up with INT's was a huge factor in the loss today.

Why, just because the interceptions could have resulted in about a 16 point swing? :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:

Yes. :mrgreen:

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2006, 10:38 AM
If you find yourself getting too angry at Al Harris, you might feel better if you take out a peice of paper and write down all the players the Packers have tried to make into cornerbacks the last three years and failed on. Not so easy to replace a starting CB.

Fritz
10-09-2006, 03:44 PM
You can blame this loss - or almost any loss in a close game - on a single play or player. If Harris had made that int, they might have won. If Favre hadn't overthrown Jennings on that slant. If Hawk hadn't dropped the int. If

packers11
10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
He would of been tackled by HOLT or would have had to break his tackle... You can review the play here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU_R7zTADkY

5:45 ...

but it would have stopped a field goal.. :mrgreen: