PDA

View Full Version : Mark Roman

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 08:00 AM
I have no problem with Roman as a backup. Hell, he might be our best option in our nickel and dime packages--unless we can find a better alternative in the draft. Hawkins is a huge question mark, and I wasn't impressed with Marviel Underwood last year.

Packers: Roman will be in May minicamp
Rob Demovsky, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Green Bay - If Mark Roman is upset the Green Bay Packers signed free-agent safety Marquand Manuel, he doesn’t appear willing to skip any more team activities as a way of expressing his disappointment.

Roman’s agent, Joel Segal, said his client plans to attend the Packers’ first official minicamp next month after the draft.

“He will be there,” Segal said.

Segal confirmed that Roman has not been in Green Bay since last season ended and has not taken part in the team’s offseason workout program, which began in March.

“Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s been in Texas taking classes to finish his (college) degree,” Segal said.

Segal wouldn’t say whether Roman was bothered that General Manager Ted Thompson gave Manuel a five-year, $10 million contract that included a $2 million signing bonus. The Packers almost certainly want Manuel to replace Roman, who started the last two seasons.

Former General Manager Mike Sherman gave Roman a $700,000 signing bonus as part of a four-year contract in 2004, but Roman struggled for most of the last two seasons. Roman has two years left on his contract and is scheduled to be paid a base salary of $800,000 this season and $1.04 million in 2007.

Still talking

Though there’s no indication any signings are imminent, Thompson said the Packers still are pursuing free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington and free-agent defensive back Charles Woodson.

“There are still conversations going on,” Thompson said.

Though it would behoove free agents to sign before the April 29-30 NFL draft, Thompson said he couldn’t speculate on whether something could get done in the next 10 days.

“I don’t think there’s any way to predict that,” he said.

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2006, 09:49 AM
I hope Roman is given a fair competition for the job. I want to see on the field that Manuel is an upgrade.

Of course with Rodgers "beating out" Nall last summer, you have to expect that management egos will play a role.

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 09:52 AM
If he wants fair competition for the job, I think it was a bad move for a struggling player to be having fits and not be working out every minute he can with the team and in sight of its GM and new coach. Is Manuel there showing he is willing to do ALL the work? If he is, it automatically puts Roman at a disadvantage no matter what else he's doing in Texas.

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Roman is having fits? I didn't read that he was causing trouble.

If he is in Texas finishing school, I really can't make a deal out of that.

BTW, why isn't Favre in Green Bay working out in site of the coach? Nobody struggled more than BF last season.

ND72
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
yeah there was a story right after GB signed Manuel that Roman was very upset and wanted a release.

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 10:04 AM
I had heard when workouts began that Roman was in a snit about the Manuel acquisition and wasn't coming to work out. And you're right. I'd like to see Brett in GB as well, but it's not my call and there's really no one there for him to compete with. Rodgers vs. Favre or perhaps Arth? But Roman does now have competition and at the end of last year wasn't playing at a level that would keep him his starting role.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 10:53 AM
1) Who did you hear it from?
2) So, he was initially disappointed. Until he actually causes problems, I won't judge him.

I remember Brian Williams for the Vikings being upset that the Vikes signed Fred Smoot. He missed one voluntary mini-camp. Then, he came back and played pretty well for them. I think people are making a bigger deal out of than it is. Sure, it could turn ugly. Or it could turn out that it's nothing.

MadtownPacker
04-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Like I said in a different thread, Roman will be on the team opening day. He played well enough last season to warrant a roster spot IMO. He adds good depth to S spot.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Like I said in a different thread, Roman will be on the team opening day. He played well enough last season to warrant a roster spot IMO. He adds good depth to S spot.

I agree. Plus, his value isn't enough to warrant trading him just to get rid of him. Players get injured in the NFL. Manuel and Collins might be the starting safety, but one or both could get injured. I'd rather have Roman off the bench than Marviel Underwood. Unless they get a guy like Daniel Bullocks in the draft (and I don't see safety as a high priority for the Packers), I can't see the Packers getting rid of Roman.

Rastak
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
I thought Roman played well in spots last year...I'd definately keep him for depth, unless he became a major malcontent.

Fosco33
04-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Roman is having fits? I didn't read that he was causing trouble.

If he is in Texas finishing school, I really can't make a deal out of that.

BTW, why isn't Favre in Green Bay working out in site of the coach? Nobody struggled more than BF last season.

What's wrong with a guy finishing his schooling? The net pay being a wideout may/may not be enough to retire upon. I give props to those athletes who left college early and return to get their degrees. Many ex-pros have went on to successful ventures in business and media. Good for Roman!

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I was by no means suggesting that he should be gotten rid of. I was merely speaking of fighting for his starting role--and though I applaud him wanting to finish his degree, there will be plenty of time for that at the end of his playing career when he's not in danger of losing his starting position.

BooHoo
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
I was by no means suggesting that he should be gotten rid of. I was merely speaking of fighting for his starting role--and though I applaud him wanting to finish his degree, there will be plenty of time for that at the end of his playing career when he's not in danger of losing his starting position.

I am thinking his starting position is over now anyway. He might be a good backup. I thought he played better last year, than the year before.

RashanGary
04-20-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm in complete agreement with Ziggy. These guys get one chance to have a great NFL career or sometimes just a good one but don't always do everything they can to maximize their time in the league.

If Manuel is a football guy who's in GB doing everything he can to be the best player he can be and is an upgrade over Roman there is no reason Roman should be upset. He should look in the mirror before he points fingers. "Have I done everything in my power to win the starting job?". The answer to that is "No" because he is away from the team doing his own thing to build a life after football. If that's what he wants so be it but IMO he has no right to complain when a more ambitous player and in this case better player moves ahead of him.

RashanGary
04-20-2006, 01:45 PM
With that being said I think Roman is a darn good backup and the type of player you want on your team just in case......He's a hell of a lot better than last years #3 = Earl *sqeaky joints* Little

Fosco33
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
You guys are crucifying the guy even before he's stepped on the field to compete. He said he'll be there - fighting for the job. Right now, he's probably taking a couple spring classes and working out (either with our without a group). Once mini and training camps start, then you'll have something tangible to point to. Until then, he's just a guy planning his career.