PDA

View Full Version : Transcript of McCarthy Press Conference

Joemailman
10-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Mike McCarthy Press Conference Transcript - Oct. 8

posted 10/08/2006

(What happened on the last play? Did someone miss a block?)

I don't think it was a matter of someone missing a block. I think it looked like Little got the edge on Tauscher or Brett didn't step up in the pocket, one or the other. I haven't seen the replay but he was able to get his hand on the ball.

(Has to be a frustrating end, right?)

It was a very disappointing loss. We were in position to win the football game. We were playing to win at the end, and they made a big play. Turnovers continue to plague us, and we need to get that fixed. I don't know what else to tell you.

(What happened to Spitz?)

Spitz is hurt, he's actually in the hospital right now. He's going through testing. He had something in the stomach area - they're running tests as we speak.

(That's when you went to Moll?)

Correct.

(Kicked in the stomach?)

I don't know the specifics. He was a little ill before the game, and this is something that carried over.

(Would you rather have Brett throw that last pass away?)

I didn't view it as pressure. He had a pocket to step up into. We were going for the win. We had a play design that was attacking the end zone with an underneath completion built in if it wasn't there. Whatever you want to call that - I'm just trying to win the football game at that point.

(How critical was the interception that Al Harris dropped?)

It's a big play opportunity. You have a number of big play opportunities on both sides of the ball if you break it down. You're looking at 10 to 15 a game, and you need to make those. That was an opportunity for us that got away. There were a number of other opportunities too, as you went through the game that maybe weren't so apparent as that particular play. We're not making enough plays right now.

(How did Dendy play today?)

My gut is that he played pretty solid. I thought the defense played pretty well, particularly in the second half. We put them in bad field position over and over again. It was a game of peaks and valleys, and I thought they hung tough. My sense is that he played pretty well.

(Go back to Morency out of necessity or prefer to give Herron a blow?)

My goal was to get a mix of those two guys. I was concerned about wearing Noah out during halftime because of the number of carries he did have. Obviously, the way the game went it did't really factor. That was my decision.

(Morency's future in doubt?)

No, his future is not up in the air. But we need to get that (fumbles) fixed.

(Happy with the way Noah responded?)

Yes, absolutely. I thought Noah played extremely well. He showed me little things he does outside of running the football. He's a heady football player, took full advantage of an excellent opportunity and he cashed in. Frankly, I wish I got him the ball more.

(Why did you put Dendy in the slot and not Woodson?)

It was based on matchups.

(Secondary seemed better in pass defense - anything stressed in practice?)

Continue to stress the fundamentals because that's what this game comes down to. You look at the last play of the game - it's all about fundamentals. That's been our focus in all areas, particularly the secondary.

(First half seemed fine - second half let up six explosive plays, what's the difference?)

It's wishful thinking - I wish we could shut them down for 60 minutes. That's always the goal, but they're pretty good on offense. I thought for the most part the defense played well. We had some long down and distances that we would like to not have converted on third down, but I thought they played well enough to win the game.

(Jennings looked open on a slant in the 3rd quarter - is that just a bad pass?)

Looked like a miss throw if it's the play I'm thinking of.

(Wind a factor or was Brett just off?)

I didn't think we were very sharp in the passing game as a whole. Whether it was us missing throws or the route running, that's something I'll know in more detail tomorrow. We weren't very sharp in the passing game.

(The way the season is going - do you sleep well at night?)

I sleep okay. I'm a little old to have nightmares. I don't have nightmares to answer your question. I sleep okay.

(First play in the 2nd quarter - frustrated and called a timeout?)

As you travel through the season, there are different rules that are being emphasized. Illegal substitution or substitution deception is an emphasis this week. We had a situation up in Detroit two weeks ago that occurred, and that's what they called us for there. We held the personnel, like a lot of people do there with the timeout. The way the 40-second clock and them starting just wasn't all in sync, so we had to call a timeout.

(Three or four times with 10 or 12 guys - what's going on there?)

That's my responsibility and that's poor. That's poor on our part and we have to get that fixed because it's gone on too much this year. It's pure substitution. It's boundary discipline is what that falls under.

(Your responsibility?)

Coaches responsibility. We need to do a better job there.

(Seems as though it's more in the secondary that anywhere else)

It has nothing to do with secondary because that's where you are usually substituting. It's not players, it just happens when you are going from one personnel group to another. We need to get that cleaned up.

(What's your understanding of the play you challenged on the first down?)

My understanding of the rules? That's the rules. If you challenge and lose, you lose a timeout. I thought I was right. That's why I challenged it.

(But they moved the ball)

Well, they moved the ball back but it was still a first down based on where they said the spot was.

(Lots of football left - how do you keep your team focused?)

There's a lot of work left to do, a lot of games to be played. I think it's evident the way our football team plays that that's not a concern of mine. We're not cashing in when it counts, and that's really what it comes down to. If you want to get into all the statistical analysis and start talking about all different things, that's great. But when the offense isn't doing good, the defense picks them up, and vice versa. Same thing with special teams. It's the three phases coming together, make plays in accordance to do whatever you need to do to win. We're not doing that right now.

(Favre 100% health wise?)

Yeah, he's a little sore from last week. He didn't say anything to me that he was hurting or anything like that.

(Time of possession a concern for you?)

Well, we were in control of it in the first half. I don't know exactly what it was but I know we were ahead. I think it flipped in the second half. Once again, we didn't play very well rhythm-wise on offense. I thought we ran the ball as a whole, I don't recall what the stats were, but I thought we weren't very sharp in the passing game. I thought we had some chances today, and then the punting and so forth, I thought we put our defense in bad field position. Fourth quarter we fought right back and went down there and had a chance to win the football game. That's pro football - we have to do a better job when it counts.

(Red zone offense - what can you say about it?)

We have to do a better job. We had a chance there on the first one. Brett did a good job, they came with the blitz, and we had a chance to make them pay for it and we didn't do that. We have to do a better job. I always felt, particularly with Brett Favre, and the way we go about our offensive structure and game planning, that red zone offense would be a strength of ours. It needs to be as we go ahead, and it hasn't been to this point.

I wonder if Spitz ate some bad spinach. Seriously, I hope it's nothing serious. He looks like a building block of the future.

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 08:52 PM
They blew one of the questions in the transcript. The question was "how do you sleep? Do you have nightmares or regular dreams?" And the answer started with "you gotta be kiddn' me." Why do they always leave out the humor?

prsnfoto
10-08-2006, 09:04 PM
If you watch this press conference MM looks disgusted with brett on his qeustions about him this tells me all i need to know about MM, right now brett and Jennings are the ONLY play makers on this team(Herron looked good TODAY). TT and MM are fucking morons to sell out on Brett he played within the system today defense played well but gave up three INT's. I like what I see with the youth on this team but if Brett leaves after the season and they don't sign a vet QB it sets us back three more years by then a lot of the youth is gone or in the last year of their contract, TT is gone MM is gone and we have 7 years of futility doesn't make sense to me! :crazy:

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 09:08 PM
I didn't see that at all prsnfoto, though I gave up on the vid because the sound was so bad after a few minutes. From what I hear M3 and Brett have a good relationship. He knows Brett's his best chance to win. He and TT have both said it repeatedly.

FavreChild
10-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Why was M3 not asked about clock management, especially at the end of the first half when a nice drive came to a screeching halt with that lame field goal?

Sorry, but 1-3 teams cannot afford to be sneaky with the clock. Put the damn points on the board.

retailguy
10-08-2006, 09:14 PM
TT and MM are fucking morons

Hmmm... I have yet to see any 'morons'. They must be doing the evil deed in private. :shock:

MJZiggy
10-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I actually wanted to know why with 4 minutes left on the clock, a running game that was working pretty well and a passing game that was not working as sharply as he wanted, why he chose 3 fairly long passes in that situation instead of handing it off once or twice to the guy averaging 5.3 per carry.

FavreChild
10-08-2006, 09:17 PM
That also happened with those two consecutive 3-and-out series in the second half.

VegasPackFan
10-08-2006, 10:38 PM
If you watch this press conference MM looks disgusted with brett on his qeustions about him this tells me all i need to know about MM, right now brett and Jennings are the ONLY play makers on this team(Herron looked good TODAY). TT and MM are fucking morons to sell out on Brett he played within the system today defense played well but gave up three INT's. I like what I see with the youth on this team but if Brett leaves after the season and they don't sign a vet QB it sets us back three more years by then a lot of the youth is gone or in the last year of their contract, TT is gone MM is gone and we have 7 years of futility doesn't make sense to me! :crazy:

You must have watched a different game. The consesus of the Packer fans where I watched the game was that Bret was generally having an off day. He missed a lot of throws today. I felt the same way. ( I am not a Favre basher, either.)

HarveyWallbangers
10-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Favre wasn't sharp at times today--especially in the 3rd quarter. Frankly, neither was Bulger. The wind looked like it was swirling pretty good. That might have been a factor. I can't really complain about the offensive playcalling. We can all sit here and question individual calls. That's easy to do. The overall offensive game plan was good though. Too bad Morency couldn't hang onto the ball. I know Herron had a good game, but saying he has pedestrian speed is a stretch. There were some holes that a guy like Ahman or Morency might have taken to the house.

GBRulz
10-09-2006, 09:11 AM
I am not fond of the response as to why suddenly in the 2nd half we abandoned the running game with Herron.

He also did seem a bit upset with Brett, IMO

Also, very quick to defend the secondary coach about having the wrong number of players on the field, too.

If I could have a dollar for everytime he says "we'll get that fixed"....

Cheesehead Craig
10-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Favre wasn't sharp at times today--especially in the 3rd quarter. Frankly, neither was Bulger. The wind looked like it was swirling pretty good. That might have been a factor. I can't really complain about the offensive playcalling. We can all sit here and question individual calls. That's easy to do. The overall offensive game plan was good though. Too bad Morency couldn't hang onto the ball. I know Herron had a good game, but saying he has pedestrian speed is a stretch. There were some holes that a guy like Ahman or Morency might have taken to the house.
As we were saying at the bar Harvey, the OL was opening up holes big enough for even Herron to run through :lol:

MJZiggy
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
I am not fond of the response as to why suddenly in the 2nd half we abandoned the running game with Herron.

He also did seem a bit upset with Brett, IMO

Also, very quick to defend the secondary coach about having the wrong number of players on the field, too.

If I could have a dollar for everytime he says "we'll get that fixed"....

Well, in all honesty, what else is he supposed to say? He prefaced the "we'll get it fixed" with a whole lot of "that was unacceptable," "that's just not good enough" and "that was the coaching." Short of sending him a thesaurus, the only other solution is to dog the question.

GBRulz
10-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, in all honesty, what else is he supposed to say? He prefaced the "we'll get it fixed" with a whole lot of "that was unacceptable," "that's just not good enough" and "that was the coaching." Short of sending him a thesaurus, the only other solution is to dog the question.

I just made a comment on how many times he says "we'll get that fixed". It's not knocking him. It's just like Sherm always used to say "we're working on that".

BTW, I didn't have time to listen to the PC. I just read the transcript above, which said "we'll get it fixed" about 4 times and "we'll get it cleaned up" once. So, maybe he said other things, but I didn't hear it.

Packnut
10-09-2006, 02:11 PM
It's pretty funny for him to blame Brett on the last play. Has MM ever heard of moving the pocket? Moll was suppossed to switch and pick up the 2nd guy through and he admitted to blowing it. What did Favre have 2.6 seconds? The truth is that just like all the young guys, MM is learning on the job. He has his strength and weakness just like the players.

Besides, this team is going no where so what point is there to winning? We might as well make all the suffering worth it and get a top 3 pick next season. At least draft a stud RB that you can build your offense around for yrs to come. At least then there will be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Fritz
10-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, you build for the future by building a winning attitude, which comes from winning. So you want to win, always.

I kind of like the tenor of MM's remarks. He doesn't dink around too much, except for that "we'll have to fix that" line, but as you probably know that's a stock coach's line. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that from the Detroit coach, or the U-M coach, or whatever coach is being interviewed.

They make their teams sound like automobiles that can be "corrected" or "fixed" instead of a collection of humans. I think maybe they need to emulate our eminent politicians and just promise to "look into it," maybe form a subcommittee.