PDA

View Full Version : If packers are on clock and...

packers11
10-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Adrian is gone, but Calvin is there is it worth taking a WR that early??
Driver is aging, and sadly will start declining... Driver, Jennings, Johnson .... Or would the packers trade down for more needs, to fill up the gaps that they desperately need...

VegasPackFan
10-08-2006, 11:25 PM
I've been thinking about this.

It is not very common for high pick WR's to become great in the NFL. Most of the top guys at the position today were not so highly touted. With Jennings really looking like he will be very good, I'm not sure if we need to make that pick.

Secondly, is WR our biggest need? I think RB is a worse situation, especially if Green cannot return to form (which I predict he will not).

Joemailman
10-08-2006, 11:55 PM
If K-Rob is able to play next year, I think he, Jennings and Driver form a pretty good group. I think Clifton, Harris and Green are three starters who may have to be replaced in the near future, so that is the direction I would go. Actually, I think the Packers will be a respectable team the rest of the year, so talk about Calvin Johnson is probably moot. I don't see the Packers drafting earlier than 10th.

Tarlam!
10-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Agreed. If we are picking around 5 again and there is no stud á la Hawk, or M. Williams, D'Brick or VD then TT trades out.

Unless we see evidence this season that A-Rod is a potential bust, he will not take a QB in the first...

Chubbyhubby
10-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Agreed. If we are picking around 5 again and there is no stud á la Hawk, or M. Williams, D'Brick or VD then TT trades out.

Unless we see evidence this season that A-Rod is a potential bust, he will not take a QB in the first...

Thats why I think they should start A-Rod by mid season if they sense that a respectable season is unattainable. Then we can find out if A-Rod is a good or Bust player. Like it or not, Brett Favre is as good as gone next year.

Tarlam!
10-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Like it or not, Brett Favre is as good as gone next year.

Sorry, CH, I can't concede that. There is NO WAY we know this.

He had a tonne of fun winning against the Kitties and he has repeatedly said it was the right decision to come back this year. He has repeatedly said, he wants to win.

It is certainly within the realms of reality that with a string finish by this team, Brett Favre looks to next year to return to the winners circle in GB.

b bulldog
10-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Who is their right mind would ever count on KRob for next season?

packers11
10-09-2006, 09:46 PM

I think kRob would :mrgreen:

ND72
10-09-2006, 09:52 PM
we trade down....our greatest need will be at RB, if Adrian is in the draft and he's gone, then, you look at the next "crew"....Michael Bush, Kenny Irons, possibly Michael Hart. I think Irons will be a #1 pick, and probably the top RB if Peterson doesn't come out...but i think he could be a mid to late 1st round pick.(a guess)

Joemailman
10-09-2006, 09:54 PM

Jacob Leinenkugel? :wink:

Harlan Huckleby
10-09-2006, 09:56 PM
top need is for a RB, as I suppose most agree.

Joemailman
10-09-2006, 10:02 PM

Not necessarily. Clifton is looking pretty gimpy to me. LT could be the way to go, or CB if Harris regresses.

esoxx
10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
You take Calvin Johnson and don't look back. At the top of the draft you don't go for need, you go for impact. IMO, CJ is an impact player and a difference maker. It is those type of blue chip studs that can put a game in the win column and those are the type of players currently lacking in Green Bay at present.

You don't find freakish type players, typically, past the top part of the draft. Calvin Johnson is a freak.

packers11
10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
You take Calvin Johnson and don't look back. At the top of the draft you don't go for need, you go for impact. IMO, CJ is an impact player and a difference maker. It is those type of blue chip studs that can put a game in the win column and those are the type of players currently lacking in Green Bay at present.

You don't find freakish type players, typically, past the top part of the draft. Calvin Johnson is a freak.

I agree 110% with the freakish talent.... I hope they do draft him if he is there, (only if peterson is gone)..... We need a PLAYMAKER.... What does everyone say we lack on this team??? A BIG PLAYMAKER...

CyclonePackFan
10-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Here's a legit question...

Without Combine numbers to base a judgement on, how high does David Ball go?

Not saying we should use a 1st rounder on him, or any pick for that matter...I'm just curious as to what round everyone thinks he'll be drafted?

Partial
10-09-2006, 10:45 PM

Jacob Leinenkugel? :wink:

The mailman delivers! I've been waitin' for a zinger so I could use that line!! :wink:

packers11
10-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Now.... 2nd and 10 on the Rams 11.... With Calvin, Favre would just have to toss it up on a little fade, like Culpepper once did to Randy....

Lets see how Calvin did it in the game this weekend....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmcFX9-Nt0

Could be the biggest redzone threat packers had in AWHILE... I mean hes only 6`5 235.... All our WR's our bigger than him :wink:

b bulldog
10-10-2006, 09:21 PM
CJ would be my pick even if Peterson was still available. I think Bush might fall to round two if he declares and his leg isn't 100% or Irons could be had also possibly.

SudsMcBucky
10-11-2006, 08:31 AM
I have said this a couple of times, here. Calvin Johnson would be MY pick if I had the choice. I have watched him play often and he is a complete game-changing stud. Great hands, 6-3 or 6-4 with 4.3-4.4 speed. He single-handedly stomped on Va Tech in the first half of their game.

Whether or not BF comes back, CJ would would make a lethal combination with DD and GJ. Besides, DD is getting old. He won't be around/effective much longer.

The_Dude
10-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Definatly Calvin Johnson. Donald Driver isn't getting any younger and sometimes it takes WR's a couple of years to get adjusted (except jennings of course :D ). He completly dominates the college level and it would give the packers thier version of Randy Moss. He was a big ass but look what he did for the vikings. Defenses were forced to double him. Who would you double with Johnson, Driver and Jennings??

Plus going off how the denver broncos run their offense with thier zone blocking scheme, you don't need a 1st round running back but a guy who is quick and can read blocks well. My Choice: he may be small but have you watched Garrett Wolfe. Quick as hell and find someone better that can read blockes like he can and has good hands and he'll be a solid 4th round pick. And he has a really good Left OT with Doug Free, super athletic huge OT.

Pack_Attack
10-11-2006, 11:25 AM
if the Packers pick in the top 5 which I dont think they will, I want Adrian Peterson or Calvin.. If they pick top 10 (I think they will be around 8 or 9) then I want Alan Branch, the DT from Michigan! This guy is an absolute stud at 330lbs and can move like a LB...

If we get branch we could be following the Bears blueprint for a nasty D... Hawk last year (our Urlacher) and Branch this year (our Tommie Harris)...

Either of those 3 would make me ecstatic!!!!!

Freak Out
10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
if the Packers pick in the top 5 which I dont think they will, I want Adrian Peterson or Calvin.. If they pick top 10 (I think they will be around 8 or 9) then I want Alan Branch, the DT from Michigan! This guy is an absolute stud at 330lbs and can move like a LB...

If we get branch we could be following the Bears blueprint for a nasty D... Hawk last year (our Urlacher) and Branch this year (our Tommie Harris)...

I agree that we need a DT/NT like that but we also need a DC that has that type of attitude. The Packers dont have that now.
I was in awe of the NT for the Chargers after watching the sunday night game. Is Branch of that mold?

billy_oliver880
10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Is there any DEs worthy of a high pick?

Ballboy
10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
I've actually given some thought to this as well. I don't think or hope the Packers will have the #1 or 2 pick.

With that in mind, why not draft Thomas from Wisconsin? I know he maybe bigger than they want, but he is a proven run blocker. Clifton is showing wear and tear and I have a feeling he is a mere shadow of his former self. This would give us a young OL for the next 5 years.

Then, in the second round, think hard about Garret Wolf(sp?) from Northern Illinois. I've seen him play, he is fast and seems to make one cut and go. He is small, but look at Altanta(Dunn) and Denver(Bell) RB situation. With this zone idea, I think you can live with a small back, BUT he needs to have a TON of speed as evident from Herron last week.

swede
10-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Forget about the offense. The days of rallying troops for one more shot at it with Brett are now officially over. Some smarty pants receiver whose gone as a free agent in three years ain't helpin, nothin.

Draft Defense all day long until you luck out and hit good value picks at RB and O line. Get ready for another trade down draft.

Partial
10-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Forget about the offense. The days of rallying troops for one more shot at it with Brett are now officially over. Some smarty pants receiver whose gone as a free agent in three years ain't helpin, nothin.

Draft Defense all day long until you luck out and hit good value picks at RB and O line. Get ready for another trade down draft.

this man speaks the truth

billy_oliver880
10-11-2006, 12:44 PM

this man speaks the truth

I like this idea myself because if we do like Sherman did and draft 5 maybe 6 players a draft and only get maybe 2-3 players that are contributors. I like the idea of getting more guys so have a higher chance of hitting on some contributors. How many rooks we got starting? How many guys we got contributing from last year?

Merlin
10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't think our offense needs anything but a QB (For when Favre retires). We should be looking to draft a tackle or two although if Barry comes back healthy, he could step in. Clifton probably has 1 good year left in him, Tauscher, maybe 2-3. That give us some time to develop who we have. Spitz, Moll and Colledge have been pretty good and all three could be starters next season. We need to also look at drafting defense as well. No more CB's though! I would prefer we draft a safety or a small LB and convert them to CB. We just haven't had any luck in that area and I don't see anyone in college that is going to help us.

I think we should look at this guy for QB when he comes out:

Andre' Woodson - Universty of Kentucky - Junior
2006:
Cmp Att CP% Int Yds TD
----- ----- -------- ---- ------- -----
108 178 60.67% 3 1786 15

Profile:
http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=39&change_well_id=2&url_article_id=10618

I have watched this guy play in two games and he has a great arm, reads the defense well, scrambles well and looks a lot like Favre to me. He holds the ball like a pro-QB and he commands the offense the same way. He is someone that could sit for a year then start I think.

I also think we need to take a run at Jerry Porter. I know he can be an ass but he is a real proven deep ball threat. I hope that Favre comes back next season because if this team stays in tact and gets the right coaching, they will be good.

We also need a full time DE that can be on the field 1st & 2nd downs and make a difference. Face it, KGB is only good on 3rd downs for a pass rush and he is getting to that point unfortunately where he is going to lose a step or two in the next few years.

Pack_Attack
10-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Freak Out, I am not sure about the San Diego DT cause I never have watched him play, but I am a huge Michigan fan and Branch is an absolute terror! Teams cant run on Michigan largely due to Branch, and he can cave the pocket on passing downs and get the push we need from a DT!

Branch and the DE Woodley are main reasons by the Michigan coaches are sayign this is one of the best Dlines in the last 28 years there, and Branch is another huge reason why Michigan leads the Nation in the fewest rushing yards given up by a D......

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Like it or not, Brett Favre is as good as gone next year.

Sorry, CH, I can't concede that. There is NO WAY we know this.

He had a tonne of fun winning against the Kitties and he has repeatedly said it was the right decision to come back this year. He has repeatedly said, he wants to win.

It is certainly within the realms of reality that with a string finish by this team, Brett Favre looks to next year to return to the winners circle in GB.

Yes ! Yes ! Yes !! :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Koren Robinson will have a say in that.

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 03:07 PM

Not necessarily. Clifton is looking pretty gimpy to me. LT could be the way to go, or CB if Harris regresses.

Al Harris is as good as gone !

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Now.... 2nd and 10 on the Rams 11.... With Calvin, Favre would just have to toss it up on a little fade, like Culpepper once did to Randy....

Lets see how Calvin did it in the game this weekend....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmcFX9-Nt0

Could be the biggest redzone threat packers had in AWHILE... I mean hes only 6`5 235.... All our WR's our bigger than him :wink:

He's certainly an impressive possibility, but we'll have Driver ,Jennings and I expect Koren Robinson, which means we need a playmaker at RB.

The end appears to be near for Ahman Green. The injury he suffered last season was brutal, and he may still be one year away from returning to some of what we once saw ,but then it's "the RB and age factor" that rules.

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 03:21 PM

Hard to change the stripes on a Tiger.

Your probably correct. Ted Thompson trades down if we don't have a top five - seven pick.

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 03:26 PM

Is anybody really impressed with FA DT Ryan Pickett?

Astonishment
10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
IMO the most need position is DE, but if none is worthy of a top 5 pick, than you have to go with the WR.

The Leaper
10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
If you have an opportunity to take CJ...you jump all over it. The guy is huge, fast, and has great hands. He makes Javon Walker look like Robert Ferguson.

You don't pass on a guy with that kind of skill set. Unfortunately, I don't think he will be available when the Packers pick.

The Leaper
10-11-2006, 07:09 PM
He's certainly an impressive possibility, but we'll have Driver ,Jennings and I expect Koren Robinson, which means we need a playmaker at RB.

Outside of Adrian Peterson, there isn't a superstar RB in the draft. Besides, putting Driver, Jennings, and CJ on the field at the same time would probably help ANY running game. It also would guarantee Favre's return in 2007.

Driver and Jennings are undersized...and KRob is one stiff drink away from getting thrown in the clink for years. A huge receiver would do this offense wonders.

Partial
10-11-2006, 07:36 PM
I think Calvin is starting to become overrated here. He's not a 100% sure thing pick. Peterson certainly seems like a safer pick to me. However, like you guys said I would rather build the D.

packers11
10-11-2006, 07:40 PM
I think Calvin is starting to become overrated here. He's not a 100% sure thing pick. Peterson certainly seems like a safer pick to me. However, like you guys said I would rather build the D.

You want a safe pick???? O wait, nevermind i'm not eligible for the NFL yet :roll:

Bretsky
10-11-2006, 07:43 PM

You might be right; but I'm on the hypewagon as well after seeing him play a few Thursday's ago. He was a men among boys with a great attitude to boot. More athletic ability than any WR coming out of college since Randy Moss IMO.

That being said, he'll probably go before they pick.

So just take the impact player when you pick; hopefully if not Johnson it falls at the RB or DL position

B

run pMc
10-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Hmm...well, it's pretty early to make guesses about picks, since no underclassmen have declared for the draft, and we don't know where GB will be picking yet. With that said, we need to upgrade both sides of the ball. Here are my rambling thoughts...

Take the best player available, regardless of whether they are offense or defense.

Defense
GB needs another DE. KGB and Kampy can't do it alone.
They need a CB or two, depending upon what Blackmon shows us. Dumping Carroll makes the CB depth very thin.
GB need a S unless Culver really surprises. Manuel isn't very impressive. Another LB to replace the Taylor/Poppinga experiment wouldn't hurt, and if Barnett walks it becomes a higher priority to draft/sign FA there.

Offense
GB needs a tackle. Injuries have rendered Clifton a broken down warhorse at this point, and I have a gut feeling Tauscher doesn't have much more than 2-3 decent seasons left. GB doesn't have great depth on the OL, so if Colledge moves to OT, GB has to find out if Coston can get it done or if they need to find another player.
GB needs a RB. Green's best days are behind him and we all know that. He's spending more time in the training room, which is a bad sign for a RB on the wrong side of 30. Morency and Herron won't get it done over 16 games. The ZBS doesn't need high draft picks, but I don't think it would would hurt.
GB needs a WR...in the world of "what-if's", imagine if TT had picked Colston instead of Cory Rodgers. GB needs a playmaker at WR or RB. I'd say that RB is a more"sure thing" as a 1st rounder, since WR's take longer to develop and there is a higher bust rate with them (hello David Terrell). Counting on KoRo to be more than a #3 WR and a KR is dangerous. Even if he plays out this season, he still has to serve a 1yr suspension...which means he's out next season.
GB needs a TE...the current group doesn't scare anyone. We can probably find or develop a FB...I suspect Hendo is gone after this year.

I don't know that they need to draft a QB at this point. Favre may or may not retire. If he does we have A.Rodgers and I.Martin, plus GB would likely bring in a so-so FA for an open competition. If Favre plays next year and you pick a QB, what do you do with 4 QB's? That smacks of wasted picks.

I'm a believer in the "draft best player" theory, but if I was a draft by position, I'd go DE, RB, CB, WR, S, OT, TE. From what I hear there will be a lot of good S available in the draft. I'd consider trading down to get more picks. I don't think there will be many quality TE to draft by rounds 6-7, and converting a WR is iffy.