PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Lelie

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Lelie's route leads out of town
No. 2 wide receiver wants upgrade or trade
By Bill Williamson, Denver Post

Ashley Lelie's absence from the Broncos' offseason program may be the beginning of the end in Denver for the wide receiver.

Lelie, who is in the final year of his contract, would like to play where he has an opportunity to be a No. 1 receiver, according to two NFL sources. He doesn't think that is possible in Denver, where he has played since being the 19th pick in the 2002 draft. It appears likely that if he is not traded, this will be his final season here.

Lelie's representatives are gauging interest for a trade. Players with only one year remaining on their deals rarely have high trade value, and the Broncos may prefer to keep Lelie rather than dispatch the playmaker for a low-round pick.

With the venerable and reliable Rod Smith entrenched in the No. 1 receiver spot, Lelie is unlikely to move up the depth chart.

Lelie made 42 catches, one for a touchdown, in 2005. His best season came in 2004 when he had 54 catches for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns. He has been inconsistent, but his deep-threat ability has kept opposing teams honest.

Denver's offseason workout program began April 3, but Lelie is working out on his own at a performance center in Tempe, Ariz. He could have earned a $100,000 bonus by participating in 90 percent of the voluntary workouts. Most Broncos players have participated in the program during the Mike Shanahan coaching era.

The Broncos also have discussed the possibility of trading for disgruntled Green Bay receiver Javon Walker, who could be dealt before or during the draft. Lelie and a midround pick might be enough to entice Green Bay to part with Walker.

Teams that might have interest in Lelie include San Francisco, Philadelphia, New England and Seattle.

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2006, 09:37 AM
I thought it would be fun to play a little matching game. Can you pick out:
a) Ashley Simpson b) Ashley Lelie c) Ashley Olsen

Good luck!

http://img.timeinc.net/people/i/2005/news/050613a/aolsen.jpghttp://netmode.vietnamnet.vn/dataimages/original/images448857_ashlee_simpson02.jpghttp://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2002/0213/photo/a_ashley1_hi.jpg

billy_oliver880
04-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Big money!! Big money!!! NO WAMMIES!! STOP!!!! :twisted:

billy_oliver880
04-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh shoot its not that kind of game. :sad:

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
I made it a little too hard. Here's a clue: The Olsen twins are caucasian.

Chester Marcol
04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
and rank them in order of wonderlic score

billy_oliver880
04-20-2006, 10:03 AM
I made it a little too hard. Here's a clue: The Olsen twins are caucasian.

Can I phone a friend?

Chester Marcol
04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Use your 50/50 first.

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 10:34 AM
I was gonna say something but there's no way Bretsky can't twist it into something else.

Chester Marcol
04-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Not to get back on subject but, what doesn't make sense about a trade for this guy? He's 6'3" 200lbs and had a 4.49 40. Even read he was in the 4.3's. Javon is 6'3" 215 lbs and ran 4.35-4.39. If Denver were to add a draft pick to that, it makes it all the better. Not only get a draft pick but a potential replacement. I don't know to much about Lelie, but read his main knock is he's to skinny so if he can't make a clean break at the line, he gets jammed and hung up. I didn't see an injury history with him, but did notice he didn't start a few games last year.

ND72
04-20-2006, 10:41 AM
does anyone truly understand how little of a difference a 4.35 and a 4.49 really are? you can't even blink that fast, that's how little of a difference that is. that's why with all the talk about how fast Mario Williams 40 time is, is just crap to me...how often is he running full speed straight ahead? VERY little. don't get so caught up in 40 times.

oregonpackfan
04-20-2006, 10:42 AM
I thought it would be fun to play a little matching game. Can you pick out:
a) Ashley Simpson b) Ashley Lelie c) Ashley Olsen

Good luck!

http://img.timeinc.net/people/i/2005/news/050613a/aolsen.jpghttp://netmode.vietnamnet.vn/dataimages/original/images448857_ashlee_simpson02.jpghttp://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2002/0213/photo/a_ashley1_hi.jpg

Harlan,

Do I get to use DNA analysis before I make my guess?

Oregonpackfan

Oscar
04-20-2006, 10:43 AM
If this deal were to happen would would Lelie and a 3rd for Walker be outta line? Or would it be more like a 4th or later?

MadtownPacker
04-20-2006, 10:52 AM
The more his name gets mentioned the more I would like to see Lelie in GB. He has bulked up some since being drafted.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Not to get back on subject but, what doesn't make sense about a trade for this guy? He's 6'3" 200lbs and had a 4.49 40. Even read he was in the 4.3's. Javon is 6'3" 215 lbs and ran 4.35-4.39. If Denver were to add a draft pick to that, it makes it all the better. Not only get a draft pick but a potential replacement. I don't know to much about Lelie, but read his main knock is he's to skinny so if he can't make a clean break at the line, he gets jammed and hung up. I didn't see an injury history with him, but did notice he didn't start a few games last year.

Have you actually watched both of them? When healthy, Walker is a big step up from Lelie. There are plenty of receivers that have size and athleticism. Not all of them run crisp routes, have good hands, time their speed and jumps well, etc. Look at Robert Ferguson. Physically, is there a lot separating him from Donald Driver? Not really, but Driver is better in just about every aspect of receiving.

In the current situation, I think Lelie would be a nice return for Walker and I'd definitely settle for him, but Walker is a much better receiver when he's healthy.

MadtownPacker
04-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Have you actually watched both of them? When healthy, Walker is a big step up from Lelie. There are plenty of receivers that have size and athleticism. Not all of them run crisp routes, have good hands, time their speed and jumps well, etc. Look at Robert Ferguson. Physically, is there a lot separating him from Donald Driver? Not really, but Driver is better in just about every aspect of receiving.

In the current situation, I think Lelie would be a nice return for Walker and I'd definitely settle for him, but Walker is a much better receiver when he's healthy.

Very true Harv, so far Walker has proved to be the bigger playmaker but he also had a better QB then Lelie has had in Denver. Who has Lelie had before the Snake? Was it Griese?

Chester Marcol
04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Right now we have a WR that probably won't play another down for us other than to pull a McKenzie. We've been talking about being happy just getting a draft pick for him. If we can get Lelie, who wants to be a #1 receiver, and get him out of the shadows of Smith, I'm optimistic he will be more than he ever was in Denver. Ofcourse he's never been the number 1, so that remains to be seen if he can be the go to guy. But I'm more optimistic for an upside. And throw in a draft pick for good measure? Not sure where the downside is.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I agree, Chester, that he'd be a nice fallback, but I wouldn't expect him to be nearly as good as Javon Walker. I'd settle for a nice 1000 yard receiver that can get 5-8 TDs and spread the field. He fits what we need. We have plenty of possession receivers. That's why it really sucks that Javon is done in Green Bay because he's one of the best deep receivers in the NFL. Plus, he can handle getting beat up over the middle on the slants and underneath routes we like to run--which separates him from Lelie.

Chester Marcol
04-20-2006, 11:27 AM
When Denver's top reciever only averages 5 catches a game, it's hard to imagine we've seen the best of the number 2 receiver. Imagine being a receiver who is so entrenched at number 2, with your only chance at being number 1 being an injury, and running/passing the ball at a ratio of 2 to 1. I think we could have watched every Denver games last year, but would we have really seen Lelie play? He averaged under 3 receptions a game. I'm just saying I'm optimistic if he gets a chance to get out from under Smith, who started all but 1 game over the last 3 years, and a chance to be number 1 he will outperform his past.

I completely understand your view because we've seen Javon's upside already. I'm just not so sure we've gotten a chance to see Lelie's upside yet.

MadtownPacker
04-20-2006, 11:35 AM
I completely understand your view because we've seen Javon's upside already. I'm just not so sure we've gotten a chance to see Lelie's upside yet.

Thats what I was wondering about Denver. The put out 1K Rbs like a factory. The WRs have to suffer in the stats. Rod Smith's numbers wherent so great last year either.

I dont think we have seen Lelie's best either. i watched him play in the WAC against Fresno State. He was always good for a big play or two a game. I am really wanting to see him in G&G now!!

Tarlam!
04-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Plus, he can handle getting beat up over the middle on the slants and underneath routes we like to run--which separates him from Lelie.

Harv this is true, but it may belong in the past tense. We know Sherm liked Walker to drudge up the dirt in the middle, but, from the indications M3 is sending, that may be a thing of the past.

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Comparing Walker to Lelie is like comparing Ahman Green (in his prime) to Tony Fisher. They play completely different roles.

Tarlam!
04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Comparing Walker to Lelie is like comparing Ahman Green (in his prime) to Tony Fisher. They play completely different roles.

I can't comment, since I know very little about it, but I will again say that I was all for getting T.O. to Green Bay!

Chester Marcol
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
How can you compare Walker and Lelie when they've "played completely different roles"? If you look at Walkers numbers his first 2 years are very comparible to Lelie's first 2 years because Walker wasn't the featured receiver. What happens if you have a Rod Smith who is Favre's go to guy. Not a chance in hell Walker has the numbers he had in his 3rd season. Until Lelie can be a featured WR, there's no way one can say he's not as good as a WR who only had 1 good season. I didn't know Lelie that much before the trade talks started, but now the more that I read, the more I believe there is more upside than down with getting this guy.

Do you really believe Lelie is the Fisher to Walker's Green in his prime? That makes no sense. Fisher was given the chance to start and proved he is what he is. A third down back. Lelie has never had a chance to be ahead of Smith. Sorry dog, I don't buy it. Not to say there isn't a chance that Lelie turns out to be better as a number 2, but his numbers are pretty good considering the offense he's in and the fact he averages under 3 catches a game.

I guess my point that is lost in all this is this. Walker is as good as gone. Lelie maybe as close to a proven possibility to replace him as apposed to just getting a draft pick where it may be boon or bust. Point out one receiver in the draft you would start ahead of Lelie for us this season.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Denver wants to get rid of Ashley Lelie because they feel they can replace him with a better wideout. That says a lot. They've been waiting on him to become a solid starter for 3-4 years now. Green Bay wants to get rid of Javon Walker because he's been disruptive off the field.

Chester Marcol
04-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Not sure why I'm so adamant about this Lelie deal. I guess I feel that is a serious need of ours to help take more defenders out of "the box". When you can single cover every one of our receivers, that can't help our running game no matter what blocking scheme we use. We don't have Denver's luxary right now of a legitimate number one receiver. They can be a bit picky. We also don't have the luxary of much left availible or any other decent names on the trading block that I know of.

I guess I would have to look more into why Denver doesn't feel he's a starter when his numbers aren't that bad. In fact he betters most of the other play off teams' number 2 guys and his numbers are almost better than Seatles number 1. If you have some good articles, please share. Like I said earlier, I didn't know Lelie that well before the trade talks started, but the more I read, the more interested I am in his possibilities.