PDA

View Full Version : Ahmad Brooks

Partial
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Any one know how he is doing so far this season?

KYPack
10-09-2006, 10:48 AM
He's having a rookie year with the Bengals.

He was drafted in the 3rd round in the Supp draft.

He made an immediate impact just coming into camp. He's 6' 3" 265 and blurry fast for a man that size. Everybody was raving about the guy until they started hitting and playing. His problem is he's a man without a position. He's an LB and ST guy. He just hasn't played very much football and is basically lost most of the time.

When his natural instincts can take over, look out. He's a monster and actually stronger and quicker than you'd think. They just don't come any better from a physical standpoint.

The problem is he's WAY too green to get on the field yet. He isn't real patient, and lipped off in the paper about no playing time. Marvin Lewis climbed his ass for that, and Brooks got real contrite (and silent) very quickly.

He has a tackle thus far this year.

In a couple 3 years, this guy might be one of the best players in the league.

It's also real feasible that he could tear himself up doing something stupid and ruin himself.

It'll be interesting to see.

cheese_man
10-10-2006, 11:33 AM
hes only got a couple tackles, and some games he didnt get anything

superfan
10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
KYPack, your analysis sounds similar to some of the things said about Hawkins when he was drafted. In your astute and informed opinion, could Brooks be similar in the sense that he has all the physical skills and never put it together, or do you think he's farther along at this point than Hawkins, with a better chance at success?

Bretsky
10-10-2006, 10:47 PM
KYPack, your analysis sounds similar to some of the things said about Hawkins when he was drafted. In your astute and informed opinion, could Brooks be similar in the sense that he has all the physical skills and never put it together, or do you think he's farther along at this point than Hawkins, with a better chance at success?

He's much further along as a football player than Hawkins. Hawkins had unlimted gifts as an athlete but had minimal accmoplishments post high school.

Hawkins is an athlete; Brooks is a smash mouth football player who could have been a much higher draft pick if things were a bit different.

B

superfan
10-10-2006, 10:52 PM

He's much further along as a football player than Hawkins. Hawkins had unlimted gifts as an athlete but had minimal accmoplishments post high school.

Hawkins is an athlete; Brooks is a smash mouth football player who could have been a much higher draft pick if things were a bit different.

B

Thanks for the insight, Bretsky!

Bretsky
10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
I'd break down the difference to basically say

Hawkins was an athlete with potential to develop into a good football player
Brooks is a gifted football player with the potential to develop into a lot more

superfan
10-10-2006, 11:07 PM
And a 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft means what exactly -- forfeiting a 3rd round pick in the 07 draft?

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2006, 11:09 PM

Brooks is a gifted football player with the potential to develop into a lot more

Of course, like Bretsky's other favorite LB, Odell Thurman, he also is likely to be suspended down the road for doing something stupid.
:D

Partial
10-10-2006, 11:09 PM

Of course, like Bretsky's other favorite LB, Odell Thurman, he also is likely to be suspended down the road for doing something stupid.

:lol: :lol:

Bretsky
10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
And a 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft means what exactly -- forfeiting a 3rd round pick in the 07 draft?

Exactly right

Bretsky
10-10-2006, 11:17 PM

The balls are still bruised from the last round of Odell Thurman cracks :mrgreen:

KYPack
10-11-2006, 09:04 AM

Way farther along than Hawkins. I NEVER saw Hawkins as a prospect. Him, Hawthorne, & Thomas are the worst corners I've ever seen. Hawkins physical gifts actually worked against him. He never learned cover technique, incorrectly assuming his speed would allow him to "catch up".

You need to cut a guy like that and spare everybody the misery of trying to develop him.

Brooks is a totally different deal. He is a great prospect at an easier position to learn. but learn he must. He really doesn't know how to play football yet. So the Bengals (Lewis & DC Bresnahan) are cutting his assignments into bite-size pieces and feeding this monster of a kid.

I think he becomes a buck linebacker, maybe a Mike, but I doubt the latter. Right now, the Bengals are hurting with injuries & suspensions, but Brooks is ST only. he just ain't ready to hit the field at a regualr position.

Give the B-Man a break about Thurman. Thurman will have a long career in the league. it will be Koren Robinson-like.

Odell Thurman is a pinhead, an all-pro pinhead.

KYPack
10-11-2006, 04:49 PM
One last thing re: Brooks.

When the Pack played the Bengals in Pre, needless to say, I was there.

My buddy had been down to Georgetown to watch the Bengals work out. his first words to me were about Brooks. This guy is a very knowlegeable experienced fan.

He told me that Brooks is one of the most phsically talented, but green players he's ever seen in his life. At camp, Brooks made a series of the most startling plays he had ever seen. Yhe one that everybody talked about involved Brooks leaping over a blocking fullback and making a spectacular tackle all at eye-popping speed.

My pal said if the guy could learn his assignments, he's be one of the best players in the league.

Needless to say it wasn't to be. When he was put in the game, I was watching our line. Brooks shed a lineman (Coston mebbe) with one hand to make a play.

After that, it was all downhill. Brooks had no clue and was hopelessly out of position and out of space.

He was dejected and had to be cheered up by the coaches after they quickly got him out of the game.

He's a couple years away, but if he gets it together, watch out.

Torrance Marshall, he ain't. A real hoss, he's just green as goose poop.

KYPack
10-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey, A Brooks update.

Watched the Bengal game today. Brooks was an emergency starter. I assumed he would make a major fool of himself based on his Pre-season work.

He has grown a lot and hung in there. Still not a finished product, he made his drops and wasn't out of position to any great extent.

He made several good tackles and is as strong as a bull. if he continues to develop, I look for him to get more reps and eventually start for the Bengalis.

The guy is a physical prodigy, he needs to learn the game.