PDA

View Full Version : Help on Relocating to Maryland

TPF
10-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Me and my family of 2 kids and a wife are considering of relocating to Maryland, in particular Baltimore and the surrounding area. I currently live in El Paso, Texas and the wifey thinks that the place is just a bore and too hot. I tend to agree with her.

If anybody has ever visited or lived in Baltimore, or the state of Maryland, could you please post your opinions on it. It would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Badgepack
10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
What about going into Juarez?

MJZiggy
10-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Where in Maryland you would end up may depend on what kind of work you do. Different areas "specialize" in different things.

Noodle
10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
I lived in Maryland, just across the line from DC in an area called Bethesda. I got to Baltimore quite a bit. You can get to a lot of excellent places from Baltimore -- the Eastern Shore, DC, train-ride up to Philly and NYC. So there's a lot to do if you're of a mind to get off your can for the weekend.

I don't know El Paso, so I don't know if you are comfortable living in a big metro area. Baltimore has some good development going on around the Inner Harbor, where Camden Yards and the Raven's stadium is. The city prides itself on a blue-collar ethic, and there are some terrific neighborhoods in and around the Baltimore area. The city does have its share of crime and urban issues.

You should try to go out for a visit. I really liked the area, and it's cool seeing kids playing lacrosse and stuff. But there's traffic, man is there traffic. If you're thinking of locating, look for areas that are well-served by mass transit to and from your work so that you don't fall in to the commuter blues.

MJZiggy
10-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey Noodle, have you been to Columbia on your way from Bethesda to Balto? That's a cool residential area as well. They have interesting philosophy there as it was a planned community of affordable housing meant to increase diversity and offer small village centers within walking distance of most places on a great path system. (I lived in Columbia for a couple of months) Also remember that from some places in Maryland, you can work in DC.

Noodle
10-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Great call, Ziggs -- yeah, I've been to Columbia, and MJ's right, it is one of the coolest planned communities around, with just the goals she mentioned. I've known lots of folks who grew up there, and they really dug it.

The Post did a big story about it to celebrate it's 50th birthday or something a while back. If you google it, you'll see what Ziggs and I are talking about. For anyone looking at the Balti/DC area, I'd fer sure check out Columbia.

MJZiggy
10-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Noodle, I sent you a pm.

TPF
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys(and gals)

MJ, do you live in Maryland?

TPF
10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Ok, now the wife is looking at Richmond, Virginia.

Anybody know anything about that?

Brando19
10-11-2006, 06:30 PM
I live in WV...a few hours away from Richmond. Richmond isn't bad...I've only been there a few times, but it seemed alright to me. What about Virginia Beach, VA?

Noodle
10-11-2006, 06:38 PM
I know a bit about Richmond. Typical southern city, with all the good and bad that suggests. Some big-time poverty and crime issues, but also some great neighborhoods and history. After a while, I get tired of the constant racial issues, but people love Richmond, so I'd give it a visit.

MJZiggy
10-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Another thing to look at in deciding between Virginia and Maryland is that Maryland is a democratic state, whereas Virginia is very republican. They're both beautiful with the Chesapeake in the east and the Appalachians in the west. I've spent time in Richmond having a friend that lives there and it's very nice, but I would still take Columbia over it. That, of course, is still my subjective opinion. Delaware is nice as well, but is a bit flatter though you get the ocean which is nice.

MadtownPacker
10-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Just come to Cali, we can be homies!
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20050909/160_ap_gang_raids_050909.jpg

Zool
10-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Just come to Cali, we can be homies!
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20050909/160_ap_gang_raids_050909.jpg
Thats you on the right isnt it?