PDA

View Full Version : Draft Rumors

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Talk pro football with SI.com's Andrew Perloff in Huddle Up, a forum to discuss the hottest topics around the NFL.

Reggie Bush's road to the No. 1 pick has been way too smooth. This is mock-draft season, where the only certainty is that everyone is wrong. Check out some mock drafts from 10 days before the 2005 draft. Aaron Rodgers was still slotted in the top spot by most experts but he fell to 24th.

It's not surprising that reports are surfacing that the Texans aren't sure Bush is their man. Even if he is their guy -- which I happen to believe he is -- NFL teams love to lie in April. And there's the not-so-small matter of leverage in contract negotiations with Bush.

A report on NFL.com claimed people in the Houston organization like defensive end Mario Williams. The story pointed out running back is one of the few areas where the Texans don't need help and they already have a Pro Bowl return man in Jerome Mathis.

I would imagine there is real dissent in Houston's office. GM Charley Casserly's back is against the wall and he needs Bush for instant excitement. New coach Gary Kubiak proved in Denver he can turn practically anyone into a Pro Bowl RB and wouldn't need to take one that high.

My gut says Casserly makes the call and takes Bush. If the top pick goes according to the script, it sounds like Williams will go No. 2 over the quarterbacks, even if the Saints trade that selection. Despite all the swirling rumors around the Titans, quarterback Matt Leinart makes too much sense at No. 3. The Jets stick with a safe pick, offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, even though they'll be tempted by QB Jay Cutler and TE Vernon Davis.

Everyone has linebacker A.J. Hawk headed to the Packers, but I still don't buy it. Hawk is a beast, but taking a 'backer that high would seriously buck a trend of avoiding that position in the first round. Green Bay could have visions of Davis being an unstoppable target for Brett Favre ... or Aaron Rodgers (I'm not touching that one).

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
There could be a surprise in the Jets' draft-day plans: Maryland tight end Vernon Davis. There is increased speculation in league circles that the Jets are giving serious consideration to taking the star tight end, whom some scouts consider one of the best talents at his position in years.
-- Newsday

The Jets are smitten with Reggie Bush, but will not call the Texans about moving up to the top spot to get him, even with Houston willing to listen to trade offers. There is also the possibility that the Texans will take defensive end Mario Williams at No. 1.
-- New York Daily News

The Broncos talked with three teams above the 49ers, including the Tennessee Titans and Green Bay Packers, to try to move ahead of the 49ers and possibly land Vernon Davis but were rebuffed. The Packers apparently appear set on Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk, and the Titans are focusing on a quarterback, either Southern California's Matt Leinart or Texas' Vince Young. The third team is unknown.
-- Rocky Mountain News

Ashley Lelie has kept a low profile since meeting with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan at the Pro Bowl in February and voicing his displeasure about the franchise's flirtation with then-free agent Terrell Owens.
-- Rocky Mountain News

Draft speculation points toward Denver targeting a receiver in the first round. The run on receivers likely will begin around the 15th pick, where Denver is slotted. The Broncos have brought in several receiver prospects for visits this week. Ohio State's Santonio Holmes and Florida's Chad Jackson are projected to be taken around No. 15. Denver could try to fill needs at running back and tight end on the first day as well.
-- Denver Post

With such a bounty of selections, the Patriots seem prime candidates to swing a deal that could land them in the top 15 where they could target A.J. Hawk, Michael Huff or Kamerion Wimbley.
-- Boston Herald

After weeks of quietly masking their intentions for the draft, the Raiders visited with a pair of Top 10 prospects Wednesday and plan to meet with another Friday. Vince Young met with team officials in Alameda Wednesday, his agent confirmed. His Longhorns teammate, cornerback/safety Michael Huff, also visited the Raiders' facility Wednesday. USC quarterback Matt Leinart is expected to visit the team Friday, his agent confirmed.
-- San Francisco Chronicle

Apparently unwilling to accept the risk of having wide receiver Terrence Murphy play football with a serious neck condition, the Packers are on the verge of announcing that they are parting ways with the 2005 second-round pick.
-- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Fosco33
04-20-2006, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't mind trading down with Denver for Lelie and their #15 :lol: It won't happen - but imagine Lelie and Chad Johnson with Driver and Chapman. That would be a pretty good lineup for Favre to target! That gives ARod another year to learn the system, coaches and be unwillingly 'mentored' by Brett. Plus it gives Brett another shot to prove he's a top 3 alltime QB and a few hundred chants for 'one more year' and many a curtain call. :smile:

Partial
04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
If Denver was smart they'd trade down and get the equivalent talent in Marcedes Lewis.

The Pack better not trade down. We need the Hawkster!

Does anyone else have a feeling in their gut of their stomach that San Fran is getting ready to make a move for Reggie Bush?

The texans would get 6, which would get their DeBrick(#1 position of need), number 15 where they can add a linebacker of phenominal value, and probably a number one or two next year.

I think the signs are their. I don't think its a wise move at all, but I foresee it happening because every NFL guy seems to think Reggie Bush will make a 2-14 team 7-9.

Tarlam!
04-20-2006, 12:21 PM
but imagine Lelie and Chad Johnson with Driver and Chapman. That would be a pretty good lineup for Favre to target!

Except we did not resign Chapman and he signed with Cincy. Were you thinking of Fergie? If so, I would have preferred we cut him and keep Chap!

Fosco33
04-20-2006, 12:30 PM
but imagine Lelie and Chad Johnson with Driver and Chapman. That would be a pretty good lineup for Favre to target!

Except we did not resign Chapman and he signed with Cincy. Were you thinking of Fergie? If so, I would have preferred we cut him and keep Chap!

Ummm, yeah - too much celebrating... :mrgreen: I was thinking of Gardner - hopefully we do let Fraud go and trade Walker.

Harlan Huckleby
04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
I want to see Mario, Vinnie, or a trade down.

BTW, the Vinnie pick is because I'm willing to take a big risk that I don't have to pay consequences for. As a GM, I might hesitate.

Tarlam!
04-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I don't wanna QB with the #5.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Chad Johnson?

I'd love to get Chad Johnson, but I'm assuming you meant Chad Jackson.
:D

Fosco33
04-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, Jackson with Denver's #15. During the ESPN drills, he had pretty amazing hands. Johnson would be good too :mrgreen: I must have Cincy on the brain today...

Height: 6-0 7/8 | Weight: 213 | 40-Time: 4.32

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size...Is an outstanding natural athlete...Has very good speed and quickness...Is explosive with a burst...Runs well after the catch and in the open field...Has solid and reliable hands...Runs good routes...An excellent leaper...Not afraid to work the middle of the field...Can be a vertical threat...A weapon in the red zone...Has not yet reached his full potential and still has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:
Didn't really emerge as a top threat until just this past season...Basically only has one year of starting experience...Needs to get stronger...Is not very physical or aggressive...Can improve as a blocker...Was not a major deep threat as a junior...For the most part the recent top Gator wide receiver prospects (Travis Taylor, Reidel Anthony, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, etc.) have disappointed.

Notes:
Was an elite recruit coming out of the high school ranks...Saw his yards per catch average drop from 22.3 in 2004 to 10.2 in 2005 but that was mainly a product of Urban Meyer's offense and keep in mind that he caught more balls (29 in '04 to 88 in '05) and touchdowns (6 to 9) as a junior...A well-rounded and talented prospect who possesses all the physical tools you look for in a #1 NFL wideout.