PDA

View Full Version : Coachspeak?

Fosco33
10-09-2006, 09:23 PM
From M3's conference today:

OK, I'll start with the injuries from the game. Chad Clifton had a shoulder, he'll be questionable for Miami. Nick Collins got hit in the head there, he'll also be questionable. Cullen Jenkins had an ankle, he'll also be questionable. Brandon Miree got hit in the eye, he'll be questionable. And Jason Spitz, he had a throat injury, he'll be questionable. And Charles Woodson had knee and ribs. They'll all be questionable for Miami. With that I'll take your questions.

6 players questionable for a game in two weeks :shock:

And that doesn't include previous injuries (Green, Blackmon, Driver?, etc).

This bye week comes at a great time.

If I were commish, I'd take away 2 preseason games and add either 1 or 2 additional bye weeks. Injuries play too big an impact on games and players often create more serious injuries by playing too soon.

HarveyWallbangers
10-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Coach speak. I think he said the same thing about most of his injured guys after last week. I doubt that's the official word already from the medical staff.

MJZiggy
10-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I agree with Harvey here.

Tony Oday
10-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Mods delete this post due to the Karma factor. The said injury bug is not here. This mythical injury bug has been exterminated. There is no injury bug...thank you for your support...

Fosco33
10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
You guys missed the point of my comments - probably just read the title and M3's quote.

If these guys are hurt, they've got almost 2 weeks to heal. The bye week has come at a good time.

I wish there were 1 or 2 more bye weeks a year instead of pointless preseason games.

Tony Oday
10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I dont know what you are talking about this is a moot point we dont know what you are typing ;)

MJZiggy
10-09-2006, 10:38 PM
You guys missed the point of my comments - probably just read the title and M3's quote.

If these guys are hurt, they've got almost 2 weeks to heal. The bye week has come at a good time.

I wish there were 1 or 2 more bye weeks a year instead of pointless preseason games.

To make the point that this is, in fact, coachspeak, if you read further down in the transcript, you will notice that Spitz is listed as questionable with a sore throat aggravated by barfing before the game. "some guys do that."

Noodle
10-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Well, I'll respond to Fosco's point, as it's a very good one. I'd far prefer that the NFL cut down the pre-season and due two bye weeks during the season. They'll never do it, because they don't make money on bye weeks, but it would certainly be best for the players.

Rastak
10-10-2006, 04:32 AM
Well, I'll respond to Fosco's point, as it's a very good one. I'd far prefer that the NFL cut down the pre-season and due two bye weeks during the season. They'll never do it, because they don't make money on bye weeks, but it would certainly be best for the players.

I HATE bye weeks and I'd eliminate the damn things if I could. The NFL did just fine for many years without them. The only reason they were instituted if I recall the original debate, was to extend the season one more week to help get more cash in selling the TV rights.

chewy-bacca
10-10-2006, 08:39 AM
The NFL did just fine for many years without them.

was that before the 16 game season?

I am all for a week off. the fans need it too!

pbmax
10-10-2006, 08:57 AM

To make the point that this is, in fact, coachspeak, if you read further down in the transcript, you will notice that Spitz is listed as questionable with a sore throat aggravated by barfing before the game. "some guys do that."
Wasn't that a habit of Favre's earlier in his career? Or was that just staying out too late?

Rastak
10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
The NFL did just fine for many years without them.

was that before the 16 game season?

I am all for a week off. the fans need it too!

The bye week is only about 8 or 9 years old I think.....maybe 10.....I bet Patler would know.

Green Bud Packer
10-10-2006, 09:13 AM
i agree with fosco and noodle. dump one pre-season game and add a bye week. the nfl regular season would be 18 weeks long and there would be more money for the teams selling 18 weeks of t.v. as opposed to 17 weeks.someone get these guys a cookie.

MJZiggy
10-10-2006, 09:36 AM
http://wiki.coolmon.org/files/cookie.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
10-10-2006, 09:52 AM
I really like bye weeks. I get tired of watching games where players are missing or injured. Give them a chance to heal-up midseason. Gives a chance to watch some other teams.

Zool
10-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I personally dont like bye weeks either. the league went from 14-16 games in 1978. Bye weeks started in 1990.

In 1998 bye weeks became neccesary when the league had 31 teams. In 2002 the league was back to an even amount of teams and all was well.

GBRulz
10-10-2006, 10:00 AM
A while back, I did a comparison of all professional sports of their percentages for pre-season vs regular season. Football blew everyone else away with a 25% rate of playing games that don't mean squat.

My personal opinion....cut the bye week, cut 2 pre-season games and add 2 weeks of mandatory practice time in the off season what would be available at each team's discretion.

Oh yeah and cut the damn week before the SB, too !!

Rastak
10-10-2006, 10:13 AM
A while back, I did a comparison of all professional sports of their percentages for pre-season vs regular season. Football blew everyone else away with a 25% rate of playing games that don't mean squat.

My personal opinion....cut the bye week, cut 2 pre-season games and add 2 weeks of mandatory practice time in the off season what would be available at each team's discretion.

Oh yeah and cut the damn week before the SB, too !!

All excellent suggestions. I didn't realize the damn bye week had been around for 16 years already....man did I hate it when they instituted it.
I still hate it...it isn't needed, teams have 50+ man rosters...if you have depth you don't need it.

GBRulz
10-10-2006, 10:27 AM
teams have 50+ man rosters...if you have depth you don't need it.

Maybe that's why so many here are in favor of it.... :lol:

chewy-bacca
10-10-2006, 10:32 AM
teams have 50+ man rosters...if you have depth you don't need it.

Maybe that's why so many here are in favor of it.... :lol:

ding ding ding!!!!!

Fosco33
10-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Green is likely to play vs. Miami and practiced today.

Blackmon is practicing and may see some action as well.

Woodson is still banged up.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/10/16/1/

HarveyWallbangers
10-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the update. I wonder if Ahman is somebody to sell if you have him or try to buy low if you don't.