PDA

View Full Version : MIND BOGGLING: 2 YEARS OL AND DL PASS RUSH ISSUES

TOP HAT
10-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Packers notes: Stunt led to fumble

JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
October 9, 2006

GREEN BAY - If the interior of the Green Bay Packers' offensive line had picked up the stunt pulled by St. Louis Rams defensive tackles La'Roi Glover and Jimmy Kennedy on the decisive play of Sunday's 23-20 loss, quarterback Brett Favre would have been able to step up and hit wide-open tight end David Martin for the winning touchdown.

At least, that's what coach Mike McCarthy and offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski saw when they watched the film of the play Monday morning.

The inside pressure from Kennedy, who beat rookie right guard Tony Moll, prevented Favre from being able to move up in the pocket and avoid Leonard Little, who got around right tackle Mark Tauscher and swatted the ball out of Favre's hand. Rams defensive back Jerametrius Butler recovered at the Green Bay 13-yard line to preserve the final score.

"It had nothing to do with Tauscher," Jagodzinski said. "Brett couldn't step up on it because we had inside pressure on the twist. David Martin is running down the field untouched, and if we pick up that twist, then we're not even talking about this right now."

Jagodzinski said he had "no doubt" Favre would have stepped up and gotten the ball off if he'd been able. For McCarthy, the play was a microcosm of what has happened to the Packers during their 1-4 start under their rookie head coach.

"I thought that play really is a kind of an illustration of our season,"....

madison.com packer news article by Jason Wilde

NOTE: Deputy Nutz, awaiting assessment.

Bretsky
10-10-2006, 08:00 AM
depressing

Our OL did a decent job overall Sunday; but this is what can happen when you put all your eggs in young guys who are still learning. I'd prefer that the young guys learn as backups; but TT chose not to bring in anything better so they will continue to learn on the field.

B

Patler
10-10-2006, 08:23 AM
depressing

Our OL did a decent job overall Sunday; but this is what can happen when you put all your eggs in young guys who are still learning. I'd prefer that the young guys learn as backups; but TT chose not to bring in anything better so they will continue to learn on the field.

B

The problem is that young O-lineman don't really learn all that much when they are not on the field, as far as picking up stunts, blitzes and countering rushing linemen's moves. Marco Rivera was in his third season before he started, and was awful his first season in pass protection. As I recall he alone gave up something close to 40 pressures that season. When Wahle finally settled in as the regular starter at LG in his fourth season, he immediately became the clear weak link in pass protection.

On the other hand, Clifton and Tauscher weren't perfect, and became better later, but also never really struggled in pass protection even as rookie starters.

What I wonder is if the play would have succeeded if Spitz had been in the game rather than Moll? He is an experienced guard (college anyway), not a converted TE one-year tackle like Moll. Would he have picked up the stunt more quickly?

pbmax
10-10-2006, 08:37 AM
depressing

B
I think the difference in the Packer's situation is how many rookies/inexperienced starters there are, not that they are learning on the field.

Does anyone remember how many were rushing? Did the protection have enough bodies?

prsnfoto
10-10-2006, 09:15 AM
depressing

B
I think the difference in the Packer's situation is how many rookies/inexperienced starters there are, not that they are learning on the field.

Does anyone remember how many were rushing? Did the protection have enough bodies?

I don't remember if they had two TE and one stayed back or not? The rams blitzed Little, this might serve as a lesson for MM to shut his mouth in his post game interviews until he sees the film, MM put this squarely one Bretts shoulders and said he should've stepped up in the pocket. I guess it shouldn't surprise anyone the coaches can't see the play correctly we had 10 or 12 men on the field 4 times again on Sunday, wasn't Hawk assigned that responsibility by the inept coaches? :crazy:

MJZiggy
10-10-2006, 09:41 AM
I don't remember if they had two TE and one stayed back or not? The rams blitzed Little, this might serve as a lesson for MM to shut his mouth in his post game interviews until he sees the film, MM put this squarely one Bretts shoulders and said he should've stepped up in the pocket.

No he didn't. He said he hadn't reviewed the play yet and that maybe he could have stepped up, he didn't know. To be precise,

"I don't think it was a matter of someone missing a block. I think it looked like Little got the edge on Tauscher or Brett didn't step up in the pocket, one or the other. I haven't seen the replay but he was able to get his hand on the ball."

prsnfoto
10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
I don't remember if they had two TE and one stayed back or not? The rams blitzed Little, this might serve as a lesson for MM to shut his mouth in his post game interviews until he sees the film, MM put this squarely one Bretts shoulders and said he should've stepped up in the pocket.

No he didn't. He said he hadn't reviewed the play yet and that maybe he could have stepped up, he didn't know. To be precise,

"I don't think it was a matter of someone missing a block. I think it looked like Little got the edge on Tauscher or Brett didn't step up in the pocket, one or the other. I haven't seen the replay but he was able to get his hand on the ball."

I apoligize the article I read did not have an or , it said Brett didn't step up in the pocket. Either way MM was wrong on both accounts Tauscher pushed little outward like he is suppose to and Brett couldn't step up because Moll missed his block. I have no problem calling out players who make mistakes I am sure Brett can take it when it happens it just seems other than Carroll who is now unemployed MM likes to call out Brett alot and if accountibility is MM's and TT's theme on making mistakes then POPPINGA should have been cut after the bears game and DRIVER should have been cut after last week with CARROLL obviously that is complete insanity. I just want them to fix the mistakes and teach people how to count to 11. :shock:

FavreChild
10-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Amen.

Excellent post, prsnfoto.

I just don't understand how so many fans are buying this "accountability" line being sold by TT and M3.

I have no problem being "patient" with this young team and coaching staff. But they don't have to sell us this load of BS, or distract the fans from real problems by throwing out these red herrings.

ahaha
10-10-2006, 11:11 AM
I think the OL is a reason for real optimism for the future. Compared to last year penalties are way down, sacks are down, and the running game is improving week to week. This line was opening up some serious holes, especially in the first half when Spitz was playing. He didn't play the second.

BooHoo
10-10-2006, 06:23 PM
depressing

B

Agreed. And then we live with another poor record.