PDA

View Full Version : Carroll with Jags....

packers11
10-10-2006, 05:26 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Jaguars | Carroll agrees to terms
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:12:22 -0700

SportsTicker reports the Jacksonville Jaguars have agreed to terms with free agent CB Ahmad Carroll (Packers) on a one-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.

WHAT THE HECK?!?!? Don't Jags already have good CB's?? Carroll in my opinion won't last long....

retailguy
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
was just posting the topic when I saw this.... Here's the ESPN article

Jags reach contract agreement with ex-Packer Carroll
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Released by the Green Bay Packers a week ago, former first-round cornerback Ahmad Carroll on Tuesday afternoon reached a contract agreement with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The contract, details of which were not yet available, is expected to be signed on Wednesday, barring any unforeseen complications.

To make room for Carroll on the roster, Jacksonville is expected to place starting middle linebacker Mike Peterson on injured reserve. Peterson tore his left pectoral muscle in Sunday's shutout victory over the New York Jets.

The Jaguars have a bye this week, which will enable the coaching staff to work with Carroll and also to consider who will replace Peterson in the starting lineup. Journeyman Tony Gilbert filled in for Peterson on Sunday, but coach Jack Del Rio will also consider moving third-year weakside linebacker Daryl Smith, who shares some of Peterson's physical characteristics, into the middle.

Carroll, 23, was the 25th player chosen overall in the 2004 draft, but the former University of Arkansas star never lived up to his potential with the Packers and was released after a poor performance in Green Bay's loss at Philadelphia on Oct. 2 in a Monday night game.

In less than three seasons in Green Bay, Carroll appeared in 34 games, starting 28 contests, and rang up 104 tackles, three interceptions, 26 passes defensed, three sacks, one forced fumble and one recovery. But by unofficial count, Carroll surrendered nine touchdown passes and was flagged for 20 penalties.

Between bonuses and base salaries, the Packers invested $5.11 million in Carroll, and they realized little dividend in return.

It was obvious, though, that because of his size (5-feet-10¼), speed (4.34) and youth, Carroll would get a chance to resurrect his career, because his talent level is too tempting to ignore. No team claimed him on waivers, but at least eight franchises contacted agent Eugene Parker about Carroll, and workouts had been scheduled for this week with several clubs.

The Jaguars will likely attempt to groom Carroll, whose performance suffers from a lack of technique and a dearth of ball-awareness, for a role as a nickel cornerback.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

retailguy
10-10-2006, 05:29 PM
5 feet 10 1/4?

He was 5 feet 9 5/8th at the combine.... I know, he's got a new pair of Reebok elevator shoes.... lol.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Because of his size, he got another chance? Doesn't he mean DESPITE his size, he got another chance?

ahaha
10-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Damnit! I was hoping the Vikings, with their fondness for ex-packers, would pick him up. We aren't going to play the Jaguars for two more years.

Rastak
10-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Because of his size, he got another chance? Doesn't he mean DESPITE his size, he got another chance?

Probably meant speed...oh, and ahaha, they only pick up pro bowl ex packers....LOL

Badgepack
10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Does this help with his cap hit number?

billy_oliver880
10-10-2006, 06:06 PM

Probably meant speed...oh, and ahaha, they only pick up pro bowl ex packers....LOL

Didn't they try to pick up a few non-probowlers too? But failed? :neutral:

Rastak
10-10-2006, 06:07 PM

who?

ahaha
10-10-2006, 06:07 PM

You're right, the Vikes get our good ex-players. It's the Texans who take our crap.

HarveyWallbangers
10-10-2006, 06:14 PM

Longwell is a stud. I'm happy with the progress of our kicker though. I don't think Ryan would be doing any better. 8 for 11 with attempts of 54 yards, 54 yards, and 53 yards. Not bad. On kickoffs, there's no comparison.

I understand that the cover 2 is going to hurt Sharper's stats, but I got a kick out of Sharper's one interception this year being on a hail mary on the last play of a 9 point game. I'm not saying he sucks, so don't take it personal, but it's the typical, stat stuffing interception that Sharper haters always pointed to when arguing he was overrated--which I mostly argued against.

Hey, the Vikes are 3-2 though, so good for them. It just proves that all of their players are good and all the moves they've made were right.
:D

billy_oliver880
10-10-2006, 06:15 PM

who?

Aaron Kampman, Craig Nall, and didn't they try to get Gilbert Brown at one time or was it the other way around?

Rastak
10-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Longwell is a stud. I'm happy with the progress of our kicker though. I don't think Ryan would be doing any better. 8 for 11 with attempts of 54 yards, 54 yards, and 53 yards. Not bad. On kickoffs, there's no comparison.

I understand that the cover 2 is going to hurt Sharper's stats, but I got a kick out of Sharper's one interception this year being on a hail mary on the last play of a 9 point game. I'm not saying he sucks, so don't take it personal, but it's the typical, stat stuffing interception that Sharper haters always pointed to when arguing he is overrated.

Hey, the Vikes are 3-2 though, so good for them. It just proves that all of their players are good and all the moves they've made were right.

He missed one earlier this year which is unusual. As far as his pick Sunday, he made a nice play on it and ended the game, when they fling it up you WANT your guy to come down with it.....hey, he even went out of bounds! Progress!

As far as the 3-2 shot, 1-4 teams don't have the right to try and make fun of 3-2 teams....:^)

Look Harv, when I saw the Vikings schedule I thought they very easily could be 1-4 at this point. I'll take 3-2 as something to build on.

So anyway, using your logic since the Packers are 1-4 is TT a total idiot?
Or nearly one?

ahaha
10-10-2006, 06:20 PM

who?

Aaron Kampman, Craig Nall, and didn't they try to get Gilbert Brown at one time or was it the other way around?

Henderson too, but technically he was a former pro-bowler.

Gilbert Brown was a training camp regect for the Vikes when we picked him up.

Partial
10-10-2006, 06:23 PM

I understand that the cover 2 is going to hurt Sharper's stats, but I got a kick out of Sharper's one interception this year being on a hail mary on the last play of a 9 point game. I'm not saying he sucks, so don't take it personal, but it's the typical, stat stuffing interception that Sharper haters always pointed to when arguing he was overrated--which I mostly argued against.

Wouldn't cover 2 in theory put him in a better position to make a break on ball? I don't see how you reached that conclusion.

Rastak
10-10-2006, 06:23 PM

who?

Henderson too, but technically he was a former pro-bowler.

Gilbert Brown was a training camp regect for the Vikes when we picked him up.

Yep ahaha has it right. Brown was a Viking reject and they did want Nall and Kampman so you nailed that. I think William Henderson was their #1 FB target, I bet he regrets that decision. I don't know what Henderson has left in the tank but he's a great guy and has been a great player. Tony Richardson doing a good job thus far so I'm happy with the way that worked out.

Patler
10-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, how about Longwell? He's never been to the Pro-Bowl.

Rastak
10-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, how about Longwell? He's never been to the Pro-Bowl.

Really! I thought he had.....he was so damn steady with you guys I just assumed.....my bad.

K-town
10-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Ah...JAGUARS.
Oh, thank God. I am so relieved. I thought this was some seamy reference to a tryst between Ahmad Carroll and Jeff Jagodzindski. :razz:

packers11
10-10-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm depressed.... I wanted the packers to play that midget this season :sad:

KYPack
10-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Does this help with his cap hit number?

No

We eat all the Pro Rated SB. $2,555,000 or so for this year. that's quite the cap hit.

We save his salary for the rest of the year, cause we don't pay him anything from here on out.

I thought NE would be a better spot for AC. If he pulls his bullshit in Jax, Del Rio won't waste a bunch of time, he'll cut his ass pronto.

Bill B up in Boston would've cut the D into bite size pieces that even Carroll could digest. Jax will expect production and it's questionable whether Carroll can deliver.

Chubbyhubby
10-11-2006, 12:25 PM
:shock: The Packers need to :shock: cut Defensive coaches next! The defense makes the raiders defenders like Pro-Bowlers!

MadtownPacker
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Dammit, now Carroll will tuirn into a stud!

Haha, Ok maybe not but he will damn sure get better coaching in NE. If he doesnt make it there then I will make a thread asking everyone to call me a idiot for all the times I talked him up.

But if he does.....

KYPack
10-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Dammit, now Carroll will tuirn into a stud!

Haha, Ok maybe not but he will damn sure get better coaching in NE. If he doesnt make it there then I will make a thread asking everyone to call me a idiot for all the times I talked him up.

But if he does.....

Jacksonville, amigo.

Put down that taco, it must have a couple methadones in it!

Merlin
10-11-2006, 12:45 PM

Going to the cover 2 is actually a saftey's wet dream. All they have to do is play the outfield. They are deep enough to see the whole field and break on the ball. With that said, it's kind of funny that Sharper only has the 1 INT this season after his pile last year. I agree Sharper is over-rated and here's why:

1) For all his years in the NFL you would think he would have some leadership abilities, even with the Packer's. He couldn't lead a thirsty horse to water if the water was right next to the horse.

2) Although he has had a few nice INT's in his career (meaning game changers) a majority of his INT's were thrown right to him. In other words, the other team was losing badly and the QB threw worse then Favre did last year.

3) He has never grasped the "team" concept. He thinks the world revolves around him.

4) He can't tackle worth a crap and when he get's burned badly you can bet the next play he will get injured and be out for a few weeks. Speaking of getting burned badly, he was burned more often then Mark Roman during the same time they played here. And we let Roman go because he was below average.

MadtownPacker
10-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Jacksonville, amigo.

Put down that taco, it must have a couple methadones in it!Hahahaha, Damn!!

OK let me just start that thread I mentioned now!!

Del Rio will fix Carroll's holding problem by having him clothesline WRs instead.

HarveyWallbangers
10-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Going to the cover 2 is actually a saftey's wet dream. All they have to do is play the outfield. They are deep enough to see the whole field and break on the ball. With that said, it's kind of funny that Sharper only has the 1 INT this season after his pile last year. I agree Sharper is over-rated and here's why:

I'm not sure about that. The safeties that move around a lot--like Rodney Harrison, Brian Dawkins, and LeRoy Butler back in the day tend to have better stats. The guys in the cover-2 don't tend to have guady numbers--except maybe John Lynch. I know that I read an article before the season that stated the Viking coaches expected Sharper's numbers to go down because that's just the way it is in the cover-2 for a safety. He sits back and plays a safer coverage, and can't make things happen as much. A lot of it is predicated on what the QB does with the ball. If he's not attacking the deep zone, then the safety isn't going to have big numbers.

prsnfoto
10-11-2006, 01:42 PM

who?

I believe they fond a fondness for one gay packer that could really sing the national anthem Esra Tuaolo sp. He wasn't a pro bowler but he was a pro packer sorry couldn't resist.

Zool
10-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I guess the good news is we dont have any dead Carroll money on next years cap.

Am I the only one that hated DelRio when he was a Viking. Him and Joey "Cheap Shot" Browner can eat a bag of ass for all I care. I hated those guys.
[/rant]

packers11
10-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Well if Sharper is going to play some cover 2 now, send DD or Jennings on a streak on his side..... He will be lucky to catch a glimpse of them, because he is getting slower everytime I watch him....

Astonishment
10-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Carroll has a ton of phisical talent, but I don't think even Del Rio will be able to get it out of him.

KYPack
10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
[quote=HarveyWallbangers]

Going to the cover 2 is actually a saftey's wet dream. All they have to do is play the outfield. They are deep enough to see the whole field and break on the ball. (Snip)quote]

Not really Merlin.

Another name for cover 2 is "brackets"

Both safeties double cover the WR's with the corners.

it's as far from a relaxed "centerfield coverage" as you can get.

You are thinking of the weak safety in man or the weak saftety in a strong side rotation.

Cover 2's are pretty nerve wracking for any safety. The Tampa 2 gives the safety more help underneath, but it's a lonf way from playing centerfield.

Partial
10-11-2006, 10:43 PM
1) For all his years in the NFL you would think he would have some leadership abilities, even with the Packer's. He couldn't lead a thirsty horse to water if the water was right next to the horse.

How do you know this? In my opinion, he was the leader of Donatell's defenses while they were here. I think he did a pretty good job of it, too.

2) Although he has had a few nice INT's in his career (meaning game changers) a majority of his INT's were thrown right to him. In other words, the other team was losing badly and the QB threw worse then Favre did last year.

Just like every other player. He's not a top 3-4 safety in the league, but he is solid and makes things happen in a way a lot of teams would be desperate for despite his other shortcomings.

3) He has never grasped the "team" concept. He thinks the world revolves around him.

Why do you think that? Because he wouldn't take a pay cut? If your boss said we need you to cut your salary down by 66% or more, would you, or would you say hell no and look for a new job? Think about that one. I never heard of him being a problem in the locker room, this is inferring.

4) He can't tackle worth a crap and when he get's burned badly you can bet the next play he will get injured and be out for a few weeks. Speaking of getting burned badly, he was burned more often then Mark Roman during the same time they played here. And we let Roman go because he was below average.

agreed.

FavreChild
10-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Why do you think that? Because he wouldn't take a pay cut? If your boss said we need you to cut your salary down by 66% or more, would you, or would you say hell no and look for a new job? Think about that one. I never heard of him being a problem in the locker room, this is inferring.

Yep.

It's always convenient to hold others to a "team" standard whenever they do something that is not in our own self-interest....

Employees are always expected to be a member of a "team" while employers act for their own "individual" self-interests. Ick.

MadtownPacker
10-12-2006, 02:22 AM
How do you know this? In my opinion, he was the leader of Donatell's defenses while they were here. I think he did a pretty good job of it, too.

Sorry man, good leaders don't let this happen, twice:

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/sbxxxiii/image/10399/sharp103.jpg

http://philadelphia-eagles.net/history/2003/playoffs/div-f.jpg