PDA

View Full Version : Robinson expects to play full season for PackersAssociated P

K-town
10-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Robinson expects to play full season for PackersAssociated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Koren Robinson believes he'll be allowed to play a full season for the Green Bay Packers this year. But even if he can't, he hopes the Packers won't give up on him.

Koren Robinson
Wide Receiver
Green Bay Packers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
Rec Yds TD Avg Long YAC
7 89 0 12.7 24 20

General manager Ted Thompson gave the troubled receiver a two-year deal last month -- an indication, perhaps, that the team is willing to ride out his mounting legal problems and a possible one-year suspension from the NFL.

"I hope so," Robinson said. "It's a two-year deal. I feel like the organization knows my situation, so I'm very thankful that Ted gave me the opportunity. ... I feel like they've got my back regardless of what happens."

Robinson was sentenced last week to 90 days in jail for violating a probation sentence issued after he pleaded guilty to a drunken driving charge in Washington State last year.

He will be allowed to serve that sentence after the season, but he still faces a drunken driving charge in Minnesota next week for a separate incident in August and has a possible league suspension hanging over his head.

Robinson, who has been fairly open about his off-field problems since signing with Green Bay, usually refers to the mounting mess as "my situation." He said he is relying on his faith to help him get through it.

"That's all I do," he said. "You can't dwell on something. Especially if it's out of your hands."

Robinson said he is able to block out his problems and focus on football.

"I worry about what I'm going to do today, what I'm going to do tomorrow, what I'm going to do the day after," Robinson said. "I can't do nothing about what happened in the past, you know? As far as that situation, I can try to learn from it and try to better myself in a positive way, but what's done is done, so why dwell on it?"

The Green Bay Press-Gazzette reported that Robinson's attorney, David Cornwell, has asked the league to push back a hearing on Robinson's appeal of a pending NFL suspension. Cornwell did not immediately return a telephone message left by The Associated Press.

Robinson said he didn't know when the hearing would be held. Nor, he said, is he fixating on it.

Robinson added he hasn't considered simply accepting a suspension so he can return to play earlier next season.

"I'm not thinking about it like that, as far as if I'm going to be gone or anything like that," he said. "Right now I'm just thinking about football, concentrating on helping this team win, plain and simple."

The Packers have a bye this week, and Robinson plans to attend his son's birthday party in North Carolina.

When the Packers take the field in Miami on Oct. 22, Robinson said he doesn't expect to play as if it's his last game.

"Not at all," Robinson said. "I think I'm going to be here. That's pretty much all I'm going to say -- I think I'm going to be here for the season."

Robinson said he feels accepted in Green Bay.

"I think me and Ted have a good rapport, I think we have a good relationship," Robinson said. "I feel like I'm blending right in with the players here, the city, everybody in the city's treating me well. Everybody I feel like is welcoming me with open arms, and I feel like this is a good place for me right now as far as me and my career and my life and my situation. So I feel like this would be a great place for me to be in to stay."

With No. 3 receiver Robert Ferguson hobbled by a foot injury, Robinson played a bigger role in Sunday's 23-20 loss to the St. Louis Rams. He caught four passes for 42 yards and returned two kickoffs for 40 yards.

"It went pretty well," Robinson said. "I think I took a step forward as far as getting some more plays, getting some more touches on the ball and helping my team go in the right direction."

He hopes to build on that performance -- assuming, of course, the league and the courts allow him to.

"Little by little, week by week, I'm showing the Packers and the fans and my teammates what I'm able to do once given the opportunity," Robinson said. "[I'm] just looking to keep moving forward."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Rastak
10-10-2006, 08:36 PM
His argument kills me, he states he shouldn't be suspended until the Minnesota case is resoloved but his yap was curiously silent at his probation hearing where he got slapped with jail time, and the judge did NOT wait until
the Minnesota case was resolved. He hasn't a leg to stand on. He should take his punishment like a man and clean his shit up and then he can play as long as his talent will take him in this league. I do wish him luck.

mraynrand
10-10-2006, 08:37 PM
I do wish him luck.

That's not obvious.

mraynrand
10-10-2006, 08:39 PM
So if Robinson's appeal keeps through this season, but they decide against him, he'd have to sit our next year. Then he'd still be under contract for one more year, right? (assuming he doesn't drive drunk during the suspension).

woodbuck27
10-10-2006, 08:40 PM
He's on OUR side and I understand his struggle;no matter how much I opposed bringing him in as that went down..I'm 100% on Koren Robinson's side now.

Heal Man ! :mrgreen:

Rastak
10-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I do wish him luck.

That's not obvious.

He's a nice guy who's gonna kill someone. He needs to get a swift kick in the ass hard enough so he sees stars, then he can hopefully lead a nice productive life.

I don't wish he can do whatever the fuck he feels like if that's what you were indirectly implying.....

Rastak
10-10-2006, 08:58 PM
So if Robinson's appeal keeps through this season, but they decide against him, he'd have to sit our next year. Then he'd still be under contract for one more year, right? (assuming he doesn't drive drunk during the suspension). Yup, you'd have him for 2008 if he signed a 2 year deal.

Fosco33
10-10-2006, 10:16 PM
General manager Ted Thompson gave the troubled receiver a two-year deal last month -- an indication, perhaps, that the team is willing to ride out his mounting legal problems and a possible one-year suspension from the NFL.

"I hope so," Robinson said. "It's a two-year deal. I feel like the organization knows my situation, so I'm very thankful that Ted gave me the opportunity. ... I feel like they've got my back regardless of what happens."

I know Tank would love the underlying homosexual statements here. :lol:

BF4MVP
10-11-2006, 12:49 AM
I hope this whole thing works out. I like Koren a lot. He seems like a good guy, he seems to like being in Green Bay, and he's a very talented receiver.

Tony Oday
10-11-2006, 09:32 AM
He hasn't a leg to stand on.

Wrong

The NFL cannot suspend him before he is convicted in Minnesota because that would constitute an offense. The terms of probation in Seattle werebasically dont drink and dont get in trouble. He was slapped with 90 days out west because he got in trouble not for drinking. He hasnt been convicted of drinking quite yet therefor he can't be suspended under the CBA in the NFL.

BTW these are not my words this is a paraphrase of an attorney on KFAN powertrip morning show. His credentials are that he defended Randy Moss. If anyone knows the CBA it has to be this guy ;)

Rastak
10-11-2006, 09:42 AM

Wrong

The NFL cannot suspend him before he is convicted in Minnesota because that would constitute an offense. The terms of probation in Seattle werebasically dont drink and dont get in trouble. He was slapped with 90 days out west because he got in trouble not for drinking. He hasnt been convicted of drinking quite yet therefor he can't be suspended under the CBA in the NFL.

BTW these are not my words this is a paraphrase of an attorney on KFAN powertrip morning show. His credentials are that he defended Randy Moss. If anyone knows the CBA it has to be this guy ;)

Wrong. The judge in Washington didn't need a Minnesota conviction, nor did the NFL need Odel Thurman's conviction. There is ample precedent.

Good luck Koren, you'll need it.

Edit: I'm not a lawyer so I better qualify my wrong statement....but I do think it's wrong.

cpk1994
10-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Wrong

Wrong. The judge in Washington didn't need a Minnesota conviction, nor did the NFL need Odel Thurman's conviction. There is ample precedent.

Edit: I'm not a lawyer so I better qualify my wrong statement....but I do think it's wrong.

Odell Thurman, though, got caught while serving his 4-game suspension. That is a special circunstance and probably why the NFL acted so fast.

Tony Oday
10-11-2006, 11:00 AM

Wrong

I agree washington did not need the conviction because even getting charged in a incident with police constuitutes getting in trouble.

HarveyWallbangers
10-11-2006, 11:05 AM
A report on ESPN last night stated that KoRo likely won't serve his suspension until after the trial has been concluded. They stated that it's possible, and maybe even likely, that he'll play the entire year. It seems strange that Thurman was suspended right away, but Robinson hasn't been.

Rastak
10-11-2006, 11:15 AM
A report on ESPN last night stated that KoRo likely won't serve his suspension until after the trial has been concluded. They stated that it's possible, and maybe even likely, that he'll play the entire year. It seems strange that Thurman was suspended right away, but Robinson hasn't been.

Who knows, the NFL isn't real consistent. I wonder if the felony charge will be dealt with seperately if he's convicted. DUI is a violation (most likely) of the substance abuse policy while it seems fleeing police would fall under personal conduct policy.

HarveyWallbangers
10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
DUI is a violation (most likely) of the substance abuse policy

This might be the difference. I've heard that when you get put into the substance abuse program, you have to agree on certain conditions. Maybe for his conditions were different than Thurman. Maybe Thurman just decided not to appeal his decision and KoRo did. Who knows.

pbmax
10-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Thurman agreed to be suspended right away becuase the NFL agreed to tack on the year suspension onto the remainder of THIS season.

He waived his rights essentially to be back for a full season next year.

KRob's lawyer (I use then acronymn only to save on typing) seems to think they can beat it or get it reduced.

And I believe the CBA contains explicit language that the NFL doesn't _need_ to wait for legal proceedings or a guilty plea to move forward with discipline under personal conduct rules. But they have often waited and I am unsure what the criteria are.