PDA

View Full Version : Fictional trade -- thoughts?

superfan
10-10-2006, 11:05 PM
The local (Minneapolis) sports talk radio station has a bit involving a fake Packer fan who is the stereotypical drunk and rabid Packer fan.

During my drive home today, the radio guys were goading him by saying that ESPN.com was reporting that GB and Oakland had nearly finalized a trade that would send Favre to the Raiders for Moss and two first round picks. The Pack fan went into fits, saying that GB would never trade Favre, etc.

Not quite knowing what to believe, I went to ESPN just to verify that it wasn't true, and didn't see anything about it.

But it made me think. I'm as big of a Favre fan as anybody and would strongly like to see him finish his career in Green Bay, but if a trade were on the table to trade Favre for Moss and two firsts, I would take it without hesitation. Favre has at the most one more year, Moss should be good for several more years, and the two firsts both figure to be top 5, maybe top 10 at the worst this year, and another good pick next year. That's a no brainer in my mind.

The trade would make no sense for Oakland, so it's pure fiction. But I'd like to hear the response on this board -- how would you feel about trading the icon of the organization?

Joemailman
10-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Of course, Favre would never ok a trade to a team as bad as the Raiders. However, if someone were to give TT an offer like that, it would be hard to pass up. I remember when the Edmonton Oilers traded Gretzky, so I guess anyone can be traded.

ahaha
10-10-2006, 11:13 PM
It would have to be something this ridiculous for packer fans to accept. Favre's value to the packers is so much greater than what his actual trade value would be.

Bretsky
10-10-2006, 11:19 PM
San Francisco received a first round draft pick for Joe Montana. That's the only thing I can think of to compare the discussion to. If we'd get offered two firsts even the biggest Favre fan could not complain about that

MJZiggy
10-10-2006, 11:20 PM
San Francisco received a first round draft pick for Joe Montana. That's the only thing I can think of to compare the discussion to. If we'd get offered two firsts even the biggest Favre fan could not complain about that

Yes I could. :mrgreen:

Jimx29
10-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, I had it half right the other day::

Harris for Moss *nodsnods*

And that my friends, would not break my heart :cool:

Harlan Huckleby
10-10-2006, 11:54 PM
if a trade were on the table to trade Favre for Moss and two firsts, I would take it without hesitation.

I've heard speculation that Favre is worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, period.

I don't know.

Ya know, people talk about Steve McNair like he is a dinosaur, but he's only 33 years old. Favre is 37.

Is Favre better than McNair right now?

superfan
10-11-2006, 12:40 AM
I would say Favre is still better than McNair at this point, but it is certainly debatable.

Joemailman, I assume by your comment that Favre has a no trade clause and/or the ability to veto a trade?

And I guess the main point from me is that it would take a "Herschel Walker" trade for me to feel good about trading Favre. I'd be depressed if we traded him for a 2nd or 3rd.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Bretsky
10-11-2006, 12:44 AM
I would say Favre is still better than McNair at this point, but it is certainly debatable.

Joemailman, I assume by your comment that Favre has a no trade clause and/or the ability to veto a trade?

And I guess the main point from me is that it would take a "Herschel Walker" trade for me to feel good about trading Favre. I'd be depressed if we traded him for a 2nd or 3rd.

I'd agree completely about the 2nd or 3rd. I'd bet about a 3rd is what we'd garner at this point and for anything less than a first I'd undoubtedly want to keep him.

Then again, I'm the nimrod who said the exact same thing about Javon Walker.

B

K-town
10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
You would essentially be trading Favre for two first round picks, as Moss has little value.
That's right, MOSS HAS LITTLE VALUE.
He's not been healthy for a full season since at least 2003, he runs poor routs, plays "when he feels like it", has no leadership or inspirational qualities, and is on the (precipitously steep) downside of his career.
Frankly, I can't think of anyone on the Raiders I'd want right now, irregardless of the Favre trade.

Deputy Nutz
10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
I would give up a second round pick in a heartbeat to get a a Randy Moss. Thats right if he is already past his prime, I would take that chance. He has more talent at the wide receiver position than any other player in the history of the NFL. Besides its not Moss that is the problem in Raider Land, it is the QB and the bullshit system that is being run.

John Madden always used to say that two plays a quarter you let Moss run a go route and you have the qb throw him the ball. I couldn't agree more with this way of thinking. Moss hasn't gotten any slower, he is just on a piss poor team.

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 02:34 PM

I'd agree completely about the 2nd or 3rd. I'd bet about a 3rd is what we'd garner at this point and for anything less than a first I'd undoubtedly want to keep him.

Then again, I'm the nimrod who said the exact same thing about Javon Walker.

B

I am quite impressed now with Javon Walker's prominant role and value to "the Bronco's".

When the primary "O" weapon is Walker...things happen that's all good.

I don't want to open a can of worms or cry sour grapes, but Javon Walker was a huge loss for us. He's a real difference maker.

A powerful WR ...a POWERFUL WEAPON.

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Flat out:

a) Favre has said he didn't want to play elsewhere. He doesn't want to learn a new system in a new Organization.

b) The only way that Ted Thompson might survive a trade of Favre would be to get as a minimum a 1st rd. pick which won't happen.

c) Otherwise if TT traded Favre, for say realistically a 2nd not a 3rd as trading Favre for a 3rd Rd. pick ( would get him lynch'd in effigy ) think about it. . .before lunch the next day. :idea:

d) I really believe any trade of Favre would mean that:

With that move... OUR GM Ted Thompson may as well (and ASAP) call United Van Lines because, he'll soom be moving out of Green Bay,

Because after Favre you don't have alot.

Astonishment
10-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok, we know this isn't true, but if the Raiders offer Moss and two firsts for anyone you have to take it.

BallHawk
10-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't think people have a problem trading Favre on his current skill level. It is what he has done for this orginization and the legacy he has left behind that makes trading him so hard.

superfan
10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Moss likely has a monster of a contract, which any team would have to take on if they trade for him. I think Moss could still be a game changing player, but K-town's comment about him having little value seems accurate when you take the contract into account.

Jimx29
10-11-2006, 06:18 PM
I would give up a second round pick in a heartbeat to get a a Randy Moss. Thats right if he is already past his prime, I would take that chance. He has more talent at the wide receiver position than any other player in the history of the NFL. Besides its not Moss that is the problem in Raider Land, it is the QB and the bullshit system that is being run.

John Madden always used to say that two plays a quarter you let Moss run a go route and you have the qb throw him the ball. I couldn't agree more with this way of thinking. Moss hasn't gotten any slower, he is just on a piss poor team.Right on the money. As much as I loathed that asshole all during the viking years, ya can't take away the fact he has raw talent, and I can't believe he's lost very much, if any of that since.

As far as Brett, he's not going anywhere......not a chance