PDA

View Full Version : BUBBA FRANKS

Bretsky
10-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Am I the only person out there that feels good ol Bubba has really been disappointing ??

This year, I thought Green Bay was going to make more of a concentrated effort to get the ball to the Tight End.

Here are Bubba's stats YTD

5 GAMES 11 RECEPTIONS 105 YARDS 0 TD's
over 16 games, that would transfer into approximately

35 RECEPTIONS FOR 350 YARDS

Each time I go to a game I see Bubba staying in to block on some sets when David Martin goes out into a pattern. And it seems that in passing situations the Packers are looking to get Martin involved over Bubba.

Pre Season we had some interesting predictions on where Bubba would end up stat wise, but I don't think anybody projected these poor results.

While Bubba continues to be a good blocker, he's certainly not the receiver GB was hoping for.

Besides Bubba being a subpar receiver, I'd be curious to get some views on why the receiving perfomance is so UGLY.

B

Harlan Huckleby
10-11-2006, 12:36 AM
stats aside, he looks terrible. He plays like Lurch from Adams Family, looking very stiff and slow.

I'd rather see David Martin play, although I know how popular he is with most of you. Activate Donald Lee.

chewy-bacca
10-11-2006, 12:37 AM
with the max protect, they are havin a hard time getting TEs out in a rout. Also I would bet Bubba is a better blocker so he gets to stay home.

Bretsky
10-11-2006, 12:40 AM
with the max protect, they are havin a hard time getting TEs out in a rout. Also I would bet Bubba is a better blocker so he gets to stay home.

Is keeping Bubba in to block more of a reflections of his lack of receiving skills or his blocking. From what I've seen he has a hard time getting his release and to the route when he is suppose to funtion as a receiver.

Bossman641
10-11-2006, 12:57 AM

Is keeping Bubba in to block more of a reflections of his lack of receiving skills or his blocking. From what I've seen he has a hard time getting his release and to the route when he is suppose to funtion as a receiver.

I think it's sort of a combination of both. The number of times that Bubba has lined up at TE and then motioned into a sort of half-shotgun FB is very high. It could be that with the new guys in the middle McCarthy is looking to max protect more. We'll see if M takes the "traing wheels" off and sends Bubba out on more routes as the season progesses.

He does look REALLY slow out there though. For all the talk about getting the TE's involved they've combined for only 22 catches, 218 yards, and 0 TD. Last year they combined for 85 catches, 725 yards, and 6 TD. I'd like to see more of Donald Lee.

run pMc
10-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Bubba's an OK player, and he's the best TE on the squad. That's not saying much, and he's probably a bit overpaid. He's got good hands and is an OK blocker, but he'll get you NO yards after the catch. He's pretty useless against defenses that are vulnerable to fast TE's (some Cover 2's).

Would like to see one of the other TE's really develop, otherwise TT will have to draft one. GB's TE corps don't scare anybody.

chewy-bacca
10-11-2006, 07:41 AM
the max protect didnt show till week 2, and it has helped a lot. Till the line proves they can hold (ie-last play on Sunday) he will be back there 90% of the pass snaps. IMO, the reason the line looks better is directly related to the TE shift. Its sad that they need to "1 up" the D, it also gives way less targets, and leads to a TON of check downs. and corners jumping routs.

Its kind of a catch 22.

KYPack
10-11-2006, 08:44 AM
As many have pointed out, the Offense is cut down to provide max protect and double teams on the run.

That said, Bubba looks positively ponderous. He's carrying at least 15 extra pounds and it shows. He's like "anti-quick". There was a replay (of an incompletion) I assumed was in slo-mo. When they replayed it, I realized it was full speed & that's how slow Bubba was moving.

As some have pointed out, with all these teams going Tampa 2, you needs TE's attacking those seam routes. With our TE's, I ain't sure we can do that.

MJZiggy
10-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Am I the only person out there that feels good ol Bubba has really been disappointing ??

Besides Bubba being a subpar receiver, I'd be curious to get some views on why the receiving perfomance is so UGLY.

B

I think one person that would agree with you is Bubba. He has had a case of the drops lately though he did make one nice catch for a first in the Rams game.

Zool
10-11-2006, 03:13 PM
For some reason whenever I hear the name Bubba Franks, I think of Shabba Ranks.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/d2/60/136489-music-resized200.JPG

I cant help it.

Astonishment
10-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Bubba has aged about 6 years this offseason. IMO he and Manuel are to two most disappointing Packers this season.

Partial
10-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Is Bubba gonna be a packer next year with 5 years left on his deal? I can't believe much of that is guaranteed. I am curious as to why we haven't seen more of the 3rd tight end that everyone loves to overhype!

Astonishment
10-11-2006, 04:06 PM
Your are right about Lee he has been almost non-existant.

esoxx
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Martin has actually blocked better than Franks, especially this last game. Franks to me is a very average player. Throw in his drops and he's had a very subpar season thus far. I don't see him in Packers long range plans.

Lee had a knee injury he was nursing last week and missed most of the practices. Dressed for the game but didn't play much.

Cheesehead Craig
10-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Bubba seems to play well when the team is doing well. He's not a leader out there that is going to fire up the squad or lay himself out for a pass or block, he simply is not able to ignite an offense or a team a la Shockey, Gates or Gonzalez.

superfan
10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
The reception/yards/TDs stat isn't always an accurate reflection of how a player is performing. Anybody have any numbers on total looks and drops? Throwing those totals in too would help us truly analyze how dismal he has been.

Joemailman
10-11-2006, 06:26 PM
Is Bubba gonna be a packer next year with 5 years left on his deal? I can't believe much of that is guaranteed. I am curious as to why we haven't seen more of the 3rd tight end that everyone loves to overhype!

There is still 3 million of the signing bonus he received yet to be pro-rated, which is far more than his base salary. He'll be here for a while.

digitaldean
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
For being such a large sized TE, he goes down so easily after first contact.

Yes, he's our best TE. But he still stinks.

MadtownPacker
10-12-2006, 02:03 AM
Maybe TT worries of offending his mentor since he drafted Bubba? :?:

Bretsky
10-12-2006, 07:22 AM
The reception/yards/TDs stat isn't always an accurate reflection of how a player is performing. Anybody have any numbers on total looks and drops? Throwing those totals in too would help us truly analyze how dismal he has been.

Where is the fact buster Patler when ya need him ? Bubba has had a lot of drops this year; it'd make things look worse.

B

Merlin
10-13-2006, 08:50 AM
One of the things that I think shows how much Bubba has not played well in the receiving part of the game is the fact that he was wide open in the Ram's game for a TD and Favre didn't throw it to him. Don't kid yourself, Favre saw him, but he knows as do we all that Franks has had problems hanging onto the ball this year.