PDA

View Full Version : More Favre Commentary

Scott Campbell
04-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Ok, it sure seems like he enjoys listening to himself. I'm beginning to think he's going to become a commentator. He has an opinion on everything lately, and is pretty quick to find a microphone.

updated: April 20, 2006, 4:11 PM ET
Favre thinks McNair being treated unfair by Titans
Associated Press

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- Brett Favre, who has been treated with patience by the Green Bay Packers while deciding if he will retire, doesn't like the way the Tennessee Titans have dealt with Steve McNair, their veteran quarterback.

"All of the things he has done for that team," the Packers QB said Thursday. "He really has been the face of that team for the last 10 or 11 years, the one bright spot really. To be treated that way I think is really unfair. He doesn't deserve it ... It is not right."

On April 3, the Titans had a team trainer tell McNair, the NFL's co-MVP in 2003, that he could not work out on the team's property until they can reach a deal reworking his contract. They fear an injury would put them on the hook for $23.46 million under the salary cap.

Favre and McNair have the same agent, Bus Cook.

McNair agreed to a six-year extension with Tennessee for $47 million in June 2001, a deal reworked often to provide the Titans with much-needed salary cap space until now. The Titans declined to pay a $50 million option to extend his deal, which now runs through 2006.

The NFL Players Association has filed a grievance on McNair's behalf, charging the Titans breached his contract.

Favre declined to comment about his own playing future, but he made the comments before attending a fundraiser for the Chattanooga football program as a guest of coach Rodney Allison. Allison was quarterbacks coach at Southern Mississippi when Favre played there.

mraynrand
04-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Favre didn't say anything about the war in Iraq, Don Rumsfeld, or Britney dropping her baby. McNair is Favre's buddy and wouldn't you agree he's being treated pretty shabbily?

ND72
04-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Brett was asked a question when doing a thing for charity, and he gave an answer...media make too much of these things.

Chubbyhubby
04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Do people honestly believe that if Brett Favre retires from football that the Pack will suffer through countless 4-12 seasons? I don't believe in that. What he is doing is tarnishing his brilliant career. 5-10 years from now will we be as True Packer Fans be remembering Brett Favre's career or this should I play or retire melo-drama?

billy_oliver880
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Favre didn't say anything about the war in Iraq, Don Rumsfeld, or Britney dropping her baby. McNair is Favre's buddy and wouldn't you agree he's being treated pretty shabbily?

I would agree Mcnair is the face of that organization. He has played through alot of tough times with them and was a trooper. This guy deserves more then this.

MadtownPacker
04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Favre bashers wish TT would treat him the same way. Total lack of class by the titan's organization. Favre is speaking as McNair's friend not just a fellow football player.

Guess no one is gonna wanna play for them either huh?

pacfan
04-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Wasn't Lombardi blasted by the Packer Faithful when he left for Washington? Nobody seems to mention that anymore.

The problem with being a famous footballer in the off-season is that every word said into a microphone is broadcast across the country. Pundits, with nothing better to do, jump on it to provide inflammatory commentary to justify their over-priced useless jobs.

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Wasn't Lombardi blasted by the Packer Faithful when he left for Washington? Nobody seems to mention that anymore.

The problem with being a famous footballer in the off-season is that every word said into a microphone is broadcast across the country. Pundits, with nothing better to do, jump on it to provide inflammatory commentary to justify their over-priced useless jobs.

Might be because he never did much of anything with the Redskins as he was too sick by the time they got started on the season. And I agree with you about pundits in the offseason. I wonder if I called John Clayton and said Brett told me he wasn't coming back would he run with it and call me an 'inside source...'

esoxx
04-20-2006, 10:24 PM
zig, Lombardi coached one full year with the 'skins before his illness, leading them to a winning record for the first time in ages. Unfortunately, he never made it to the 2nd season with them.

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 10:39 PM
I'll have to re-read that section of Pride. The book made it sound like he was listed, but in the hospital and unable to do anything with the team by the spring after arriving in DC. It didn't seem to say anything about a full season of coaching before getting sick. But you're right. Amazing by the way that a man who died long before the internet has a website.

esoxx
04-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Ya, he was actually quite the star in D.C. for that year before being stricken. He would walk into restaurants and receive impromtu standing ovations and the like. He breathed life into a once proud but now morbid franchise (much like GB when he was hired) and had stirred the masses in the city with his presence and winning season. That broke a string of 14 consecutive losing seasons by the 'skins. Remarkable coach, best ever.

MJZiggy
04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Remarkable coach, best ever.

Can't argue with that logic!!

Fosco33
04-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Here's the rest of the article - more of Favre talking about TO and the Boys - wouldn't that be irony if Brett went to Dallas? Would you still love the Packers, love Brett and hate the Cowboys??? I'd have mixed feelings - depends on what he wants to do ultimately...

Favre also described Terrell Owens, who played at Chattanooga, as a "phenomenal player, we all think that. I think every team that picks him up thinks that they can maybe change the way he approaches things.

"Dallas is loading up and if he can give them the year that he gave Philly his first year they feel like they'll be in the Super Bowl," Favre said.

"I don't know if there is a player out there who is as dominant as he is, when he wants to be. I know he can't be covered. He is his own worst enemy or has been. But would I have loved to have signed him? Sure."

As Favre arrived at Chattanooga's Finley Stadium, he was greeted outside by a Packers fan displaying a sign: "Favre's No. 1 fan from Thailand" and stopped to be photographed with him.

"Jack" Wattanawongsawang, 33, of Chattanooga said he has been a Packers fan since moving to the United States 10 years ago and later getting introduced to football on a visit to Lambeau Field.

Wattanawongsawang said he wants Favre to make decision on his playing future based on "what is best for him. I want it to be best for him. As a Packer fan I'd like to see him as long as I could."

Packers4Ever
04-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Do people honestly believe that if Brett Favre retires from football that the Pack will suffer through countless 4-12 seasons? I don't believe in that. What he is doing is tarnishing his brilliant career. 5-10 years from now will we be as True Packer Fans be remembering Brett Favre's career or this should I play or retire melo-drama?

Chub Hub, I honestly feel that in 5-10 years almost everyone who is a Packers and Brett Favre fan today will look back and remember all the great games he was in, and won for us, the games he turned around in the 4th quarter. All this 'should I play or retire' drama will be long since forgotten. He's been a Green Bay Packer for far too long for people to carry bad feelings. I feel real strongly about this, let's hope that's the way it plays out.
Judy

Rastak
04-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Ok, it sure seems like he enjoys listening to himself. I'm beginning to think he's going to become a commentator. He has an opinion on everything lately, and is pretty quick to find a microphone.

updated: April 20, 2006, 4:11 PM ET
Favre thinks McNair being treated unfair by Titans
Associated Press

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- Brett Favre, who has been treated with patience by the Green Bay Packers while deciding if he will retire, doesn't like the way the Tennessee Titans have dealt with Steve McNair, their veteran quarterback.

"All of the things he has done for that team," the Packers QB said Thursday. "He really has been the face of that team for the last 10 or 11 years, the one bright spot really. To be treated that way I think is really unfair. He doesn't deserve it ... It is not right."

On April 3, the Titans had a team trainer tell McNair, the NFL's co-MVP in 2003, that he could not work out on the team's property until they can reach a deal reworking his contract. They fear an injury would put them on the hook for $23.46 million under the salary cap.

Favre and McNair have the same agent, Bus Cook.

McNair agreed to a six-year extension with Tennessee for $47 million in June 2001, a deal reworked often to provide the Titans with much-needed salary cap space until now. The Titans declined to pay a $50 million option to extend his deal, which now runs through 2006.

The NFL Players Association has filed a grievance on McNair's behalf, charging the Titans breached his contract.

Favre declined to comment about his own playing future, but he made the comments before attending a fundraiser for the Chattanooga football program as a guest of coach Rodney Allison. Allison was quarterbacks coach at Southern Mississippi when Favre played there.

This was profootballtalk.com's take:

LORD FAVRE NEED TO SHUT UP

We were amazed to see Packers quarterback Brett Favre (the whole "He Who" thing is getting stale) chiming in regarding the treatment of quarterback Steve McNair by the Titans. Even though they have the same agent, the relationship between the Titans and McNair is none of Lord Favre's business.
"All of the things he has done for that team," Favre said Thursday. "He really has been the face of that team for the last 10 or 11 years, the one bright spot really. To be treated that way I think is really unfair. He doesn't deserve it. . . . It is not right."
But if Favre believes it's proper for the quarterback of one team to comment on matters relating to the quarterback of another team, we invite any of the other 30 starting quarterbacks in the NFL to weigh in regarding the manner in which Favre has been stringing along the Cheeseheads regarding his "I'm afraid we'll suck again" crybaby routine.
Here's a suggested quote for anyone who might be interested: "All of the things those fans have done for him. To be treated that way I think is really unfair. They don't deserve it. . . . It is not right."

mraynrand
04-21-2006, 06:33 AM
"This was profootballtalk.com's take:

LORD FAVRE NEED TO SHUT UP "

----

Hmmm....Then Profootball weekly proceded to do what? Who needs to shut up?

packinpatland
04-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Just have to know Scott Campbell, what exactly was the point of this post?
Favre didn't go looking for the media, they came to him.
Stop stirring things up.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Rastak,

I don't put a lot of stock in profootballtalk.com.

Rastak
04-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Rastak,

I don't put a lot of stock in profootballtalk.com.

I don't either, he's entertaining but he's full of crap most of the time. He rips the Vikings early and often also. Some deserving, some not at all.

MadtownPacker
04-21-2006, 08:24 AM
He rips the Vikings early and often also. Some deserving, some not at all.

Well he cant be THAT bad a guy then! :mrgreen:

Chester Marcol
04-21-2006, 08:45 AM

All I can say is when Favre retired while I was playing the franchise option of Madden NFL, Lambeau Field imploded. Fans started throwing things on the fields all the time. There were fights all over the stands. Fires were lit. Cars were over turned. A year later they just boarded up the place. Be afraid. Be veeeeeeeery afraid.

More sales for the NFL version of the tabloids. Did Favre call for this press conference about McNair? I heard Favre had his flunkies scoping out where the reporters were going to be so he could show up to spout off about McNair. Come on and give this a rest about Favre liking to hear himself speak. I think Favre is like anyone else. If someone asks your opinion, you'll give it. Especially if it's about the treatment of someone who your close with. As soon as the people stop making a big deal, then maybe they'll stop reporting it. Doubtful. Same people saying Favre likes the publicity or likes to hear himself talk are probably the same people that would piss and moan about him saying "No Comment". Oh he's such a super star he doesn't have to talk to the media..etc.

Scott Campbell
04-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Just have to know Scott Campbell, what exactly was the point of this post?
Favre didn't go looking for the media, they came to him.
Stop stirring things up.

Uhhh, it's a repost of an article from ESPN.

And I think Brett commenting that McNair was "the one bright spot" of the Titan's franchise over the last 10 or 11 years is ridiculous and potentially offensive to all the other members of the Titans that contributed to their success including their Superbowl appearance.

Do you require any further explanation of my point?

MadtownPacker
04-21-2006, 09:30 AM
And I think Brett commenting that McNair was "the one bright spot" of the Titan's franchise over the last 10 or 11 years is ridiculous and potentially offensive to all the other members of the Titans that contributed to their success including their Superbowl appearance.

All those titans are just about gone. Loyalty gavacho, they should just show McNair some loyalty. He kept redoing his contrat to help the titans get cap space and this is how they do him????? If I was his homey I would say something too and much worse.

Chester Marcol
04-21-2006, 11:49 AM

All those titans are just about gone. Loyalty gavacho, they should just show McNair some loyalty. He kept redoing his contrat to help the titans get cap space and this is how they do him????? If I was his homey I would say something too and much worse.

Exactly. It's not like they woke up that morning and discovered McNair would count that much against thier cap. They knew the minute he signed that contract that this day was coming. Having the 80 year old janitor tell an MVP QB that he can't let him in is BS. They could have mentioned something to him way before it got to that point.

Scott Campbell
04-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Exactly. It's not like they woke up that morning and discovered McNair would count that much against thier cap. They knew the minute he signed that contract that this day was coming.

You're right. In fact it was so obvious that even Bus and McNair knew it was coming.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 10:35 PM
FROM "THE ONION", a hilarious paper in Madison

Packers to Favre: "Take your Time Asshole"

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47431

ASHWAUBENON, WI—Green Bay Packers front-office officials have informed three-time MVP Brett Favre they can wait for his decision on whether or not he's planning to retire for "as long as it fucking takes." "This is a big decision for Brett Favre, and we can't deny that he's the heart and soul of our team, the most important Packer, the most important person in all of America, and the center of the whole entire universe," Packer general manager Ted Thompson said Tuesday. "It's not like we have to make any major decisions that all hinge on whether or not he's returning, after all. We'll just ride around on our lawn tractors on our farm in Mississippi while we wait for him to make up his goddamn mind." Favre would not say when he might announce his decision, admitting that he was "too much in awe of what Mr. Brilliant Genius Thompson did with the 4-12 Packers last year" to commit one way or the other.

Bretsky
04-21-2006, 10:37 PM
NOTE: For those who don't know, the Onion is a paper produced in Madison by Students for pure entertainment value...........so basically next to nothing in the paper is true.

Harlan Huckleby
04-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Actually, they haven't been in Madison for 5 years or so. They went to Denver for a while, and now are in New York. It's a national paper that originally was in Madison.

HarveyWallbangers
04-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Fucking sellouts!

Rastak
04-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Actually, they haven't been in Madison for 5 years or so. They went to Denver for a while, and now are in New York. It's a national paper that originally was in Madison.

It started in Madison? Interesting, the Onion rocks. My favorite headline?

Pope urges greater understanding between Catholics and hellbound.

:razz:

Harlan Huckleby
04-21-2006, 10:54 PM
David Letterman hired most of their staff as writers after they moved to NY.