PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Cory Lidle Dies in Plane Crash, Official Says

woodbuck27
10-11-2006, 05:15 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/

Yankee Dies in Plane Crash, Official Says

Published: October 11, 2006

Cory Lidle, a pitcher for the New York Yankees, was killed today when his small private plane crashed into a residential high-rise building on New York City’s Upper East Side, igniting several apartments before pieces of the aircraft crashed to the ground, a high-ranking city official confirmed late this afternoon.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/10/11/nyregion/11crash2.337.jpg

The plane was registered to Mr. Lidle, who was a licensed pilot. At a news conference this afternoon, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that there were two dead, but he would not confirm that Mr. Lidle was one of them, saying the families of the victims had not yet been notified.

“No bodies were found in the building,” the mayor said.

He said that the plane left Teterboro Airport in New Jersey at about 2:30 p.m., that it circled the Statute of Liberty and then headed north up the East River, where it “had not violated any traffic control rules.”

The plane then lost touch with air traffic controllers, radar showed that the plane flew near the 59th Street Bridge.

Then, at 2:42 p.m., the mayor said, 911 received a call reporting a crash at a building on 72nd Street.

“It’s very tragic,” Mr. Bloomberg said. “We have to say a little prayer for those we lost, the two human beings whose lives were snuffed out.”

The aircraft struck at about the 40th or 41st floors of the building, at 524 E. 72nd St., near York Avenue, known as the Belaire. . Flames shot out of the building and smoke streamed up into the sky, visible for miles. The building was evacuated, the mayor said, but people were allowed to return later, after the fire wasput out.

The National Transportation Safety Board said it would send a team of investigators from Washington this evening, to take charge of the investigation. One of the five members of the board, Deborah A.P. Hersman, was accompanying the team, which was flying on a government plane from Washington.

The explosion after the crash, and the ensuing fire, interrupted the routine of the bustling East Side neighborhood. The Belaire has 50 floors, with several of the bottom floors housing offices for doctors and other professionals, with residences upstairs. The building is surrounded by several hospitals and medical offices.

Kim Quarterman, 50, a doorman at 411 E. 70th St., said he heard a noise about 2:45 p.m.

“It sounded like a truck gearing down,” he said. “You know how a truck sounds when it’s trying not to hit something? Then I saw a cloud of smoke.”

After that, he picked up his daughter, Chablis Quarterman, 13, at a nearby school.

“My dad and I tried to get as close as we could, but by then, all you could see was smoke,” she said.

Several witnesses said that the plane was flying lower than normal, and then that it turned suddenly, towards the building.

Rob Miranda, a carpenter, had been working on a renovation project on the 46th floor. He and the architect had just finished lunch when they saw an airplane approaching the building. It hit the Belaire on the north side. It had been wobbling, they said, and at first, they thought it was a stunt plane.

“He was out of control,” Mr. Miranda said. “He was on an incline, accelerating as he passed. Then he hooked around the corner, he hit the north side of the building, and you heard a tremendous explosion.”

He said he and the other workers ran, checking the 38th and 39th floors for any people who needed to get out. As smoke quickly began filling up the rooms, they took the elevators down.

Another contractor with a roofing company, Arturo Waulk, was working nearby when he saw the aircraft.

“It was a small plane and it was wobbling, and then all of a sudden it was buried in a building and fires were blowing all around,” he said.

At the Belaire, two men Leonard Cutillo and George Acosta, were waiting to see their doctor. Mr. Cutillo, who was leaning on a cane, had tears in his eyes and was shaking as he recounted what had happened.

“We’re sitting in the building, and we heard this tremendous noise and everything starts blowing out — glass, smoke, flames — and we just got out of there as quick as we could,” Mr. Cutillo said.

Laura Stern, who lives on the 27th floor of 515 East 79th Street, said she was in her living room, which has an unobstructed southern view of the Belaire.

“I saw huge flames shooting out of the Bel Air,” she said at about 4 p.m. “I didn’t see the impact but it’s huge. I can see it now — black smoke. There’s still flames they haven’t put out.

“But it doesn’t look like it’s affected more than two stories.”

Alexa Lagnori, who lives across the street from the Belaire, at 525 E. 72d, was in her apartment when the plane struck.

“I saw the fire and it seemed to be pouring out of five to 10 floors below,” she said.

She said firefighters responded quickly to put out the fire and comb over debris from the plane littering the ground. She got out of the building with her dog, Akira, through a back door.

“It looked as if something had hit the building very hard,” she said . “I thought at first it was a black plane, but it may have just been the smoke. It was frightening how much fire it caused.”

Samuel Klotman, 17, was on the roof of his school nearby with classmates when they saw the plane coming down.

“I could see through the buildings what I thought was a plane headed to this building,” he said. “Then there was a booming noise and a great fire gust shooting out.”

He said he and his classmates started text messaging and calling everyone they knew, “wondering what was happening,” and the school let everybody go home.

Reporting was contributed by Al Baker, Joe Drape, Anthony Ramirez, Matthew Sweeney, Natalie Layzell, John Holusha, Carla Baranauckas and Matthew L. Wald.

hurleyfan
10-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Our thoughts and prayers to the Lidle family... along with the second person in the plane..

Gives me goose bumps... plane(s) crashes into building in New York City..

woodbuck27
10-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Cory Lidel was a personable young man with a nice smile and a great attitude. He was a good interview. We enjoyed him here in Canada with the Toronto Blue Jays AL MLB Team in 2003.

Cory Fulton Lidle

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5806.jpg

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_117756.jpg

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_117756.jpg

Debut May 8, 1997 vs. HOU 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 SO, 0 BB, 0 ER

Born March 22, 1972 in Hollywood, CA

Died (today) October 11, 2006 in New York, NY

Signed by the Minnesota Twins as an amateur free agent in 1990.

November 16, 2002: Traded by the Oakland Athletics to the Toronto Blue Jays for Mike Rouse and Christopher Mowday (minors).

October 26, 2003: Granted Free Agency.

Record with " the Jays " : In 2003 Started 31 Games 12W -15L

Next stop's Cincinnati and Philly where he was a combined 12W - 12L in 2004. In 2005 Cory Lidel was 13W - 11L with "the Phillies".

This season Lidel was 8W - 7L with Philadelphia when he was traded to the NY Yankees along with Bobby Abreu for basicly 4 Minor Leaguers, where he was 4W - 3L or a combined 12W - 10L in 2006.

Cory Lidel was 82W - 72L and his ERA was 4.57, so he was a servicable 3-5 starter with time left in his career at only 34 Years of age.

My condolences to Mrs. Lidel and Cory Lidel's young son and their Family's for this sudden and tragic loss. Somehow this is very sad to me. Maybe because we got to know this young man here in Canada for the brief time we gave him OUR hospitality.

woodbuck27
10-12-2006, 12:16 AM
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/2006/08/03/Akh8ZusR.jpg

Cory Lidle spent time with seven big-league teams, including the Yanks this season. (Jim McIsaac/Getty)

10/11/2006 11:55 PM ET

Yankees' Lidle killed in plane crash
Small plane he was piloting slams into a Manhattan high-rise

By Mark Feinsand / MLB.com

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061011&content_id=1708962&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

woodbuck27
10-14-2006, 02:33 AM
Lidle's final maneuver over East River is a focus in the crash investigation

By DAVID B. CARUSO, Associated Press Writer

October 13, 2006

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-planecrash-investigation&prov=ap&type=lgns