PDA

View Full Version : Jets may take Davis, Broncos rebuffed by GB on #5

motife
04-20-2006, 05:01 PM
There could be a surprise in the Jets' draft-day plans: Maryland tight end Vernon Davis. There is increased speculation in league circles that the Jets are giving serious consideration to taking the star tight end, whom some scouts consider one of the best talents at his position in years.
-- Newsday

The Jets are smitten with Reggie Bush, but will not call the Texans about moving up to the top spot to get him, even with Houston willing to listen to trade offers. There is also the possibility that the Texans will take defensive end Mario Williams at No. 1.
-- New York Daily News

The Broncos talked with three teams above the 49ers, including the Tennessee Titans and Green Bay Packers, to try to move ahead of the 49ers and possibly land Vernon Davis but were rebuffed. The Packers apparently appear set on Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk, and the Titans are focusing on a quarterback, either Southern California's Matt Leinart or Texas' Vince Young. The third team is unknown.
-- Rocky Mountain News

Ashley Lelie has kept a low profile since meeting with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan at the Pro Bowl in February and voicing his displeasure about the franchise's flirtation with then-free agent Terrell Owens.
-- Rocky Mountain News

Draft speculation points toward Denver targeting a receiver in the first round. The run on receivers likely will begin around the 15th pick, where Denver is slotted. The Broncos have brought in several receiver prospects for visits this week. Ohio State's Santonio Holmes and Florida's Chad Jackson are projected to be taken around No. 15. Denver could try to fill needs at running back and tight end on the first day as well.
-- Denver Post

With such a bounty of selections, the Patriots seem prime candidates to swing a deal that could land them in the top 15 where they could target A.J. Hawk, Michael Huff or Kamerion Wimbley.
-- Boston Herald

After weeks of quietly masking their intentions for the draft, the Raiders visited with a pair of Top 10 prospects Wednesday and plan to meet with another Friday. Vince Young met with team officials in Alameda Wednesday, his agent confirmed. His Longhorns teammate, cornerback/safety Michael Huff, also visited the Raiders' facility Wednesday. USC quarterback Matt Leinart is expected to visit the team Friday, his agent confirmed.
-- San Francisco Chronicle

BENZITO
04-20-2006, 08:53 PM
I really like the move by the pack to stay at #5. I think the only way we trade out of #5 is if the Radiers try and come after a Qb. But i dont see that happening because they know we arent going to draft a QB and SF will most likely take Davis after we select hawk. So the raiders wouldnt have to move up to get their QB. I think the pack should stay at number 5 and draft hawk unless some amazing deal comes by, which is extremely unlikely.

swede
04-21-2006, 07:31 AM
I really like the move by the pack to stay at #5. I think the only way we trade out of #5 is if the Radiers try and come after a Qb. But i dont see that happening because they know we arent going to draft a QB and SF will most likely take Davis after we select hawk. So the raiders wouldnt have to move up to get their QB. I think the pack should stay at number 5 and draft hawk unless some amazing deal comes by, which is extremely unlikely.

I agree that it is good for GB to stand pat right now. But if I were the Raiders I wouldn't be so certain that GB wouldn't snap up VY.

Again, this is NOT what I want to see but TT may continue the lengthening tradition of the Green Bay Packers screwing up their first choice.