PDA

View Full Version : The greatest song YOU'VE never heard

red
10-11-2006, 07:00 PM
i came up with this idea for a new thread yesterday while at work bored out of my mind. one of my favorite songs was playing over and over in my head. "the late greats" by wilco. the first verse is

The greatest lost track of all time,
The Late Greats' "Turpentine"
You can't hear it on the radio
You can't hear it anywhere you go

so that got me thinking. what are some rare great songs that you guys know how, that most people would have never heard?

we might actually find some good songs none of us have ever heard of before

i'll start off with the holy grail for guitarists, that most probably haven't heard. i can't say i've ever heard it on the radio

jimi hendrix, "machine gun"

never recorded in the studio, and he only started playing it live right before he died and never had a chance to record it for an album. a few of those live shows were recorded though, thank god. i've heard 3 versions, but my favorite comes from one of his greatest hits discs, recorded at the filmore east for a new years show.

the song is just incredible, and epic. if he would have been able to record this in the studio, IMO, it would rank right up there today with stairway, freebird, and comfortably numb. it definatly gives you chills to listen to it

anyone got some?

ImMrPete
10-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Never? Hmmmm.

Freak Out
10-11-2006, 07:12 PM
The Band of Gypsy's recording of Machine gun kicks ass. I'll have to think a bit on the question though.....

red
10-11-2006, 07:15 PM
The Band of Gypsy's recording of Machine gun kicks ass. I'll have to think a bit on the question though.....

thats the one i mentioned freak out. band of gypsy's was recorded at the filmore on new years day 1970

that was the first time he played it lol

K-town
10-11-2006, 07:26 PM
A semi-obscure one from the 1970s. An old favorite of mine.

Aliotta, Haynes, and Jeremiah - Lake Shore Drive

There’s a road I’d like to tell you about, lives in my home town
Lake Shore Drive the road is called and it’ll take you up or down
From rags on up to riches fifteen minutes you can fly
Pretty blue lights along the way, help you right on by
And the blue lights shining with a heavenly grace, help you right on by
And there ain’t no road just like it
Anywhere I found
Running south on Lake Shore Drive heading into town
Just slippin’ on by on LSD, Friday night trouble bound
And it starts up north from Hollywood, water on the driving side
Concrete mountains rearing up, throwing shadows just about five
Sometimes you can smell the green if your mind is feeling fine
There ain’t no finer place to be, than running Lake Shore Drive
And there’s no peace of mind, or place you see, than riding on Lake Shore Drive
Anywhere I found
Running south on Lake Shore drive heading into town
Just slicking on by on LSD, Friday night trouble bound
And it’s Friday night and you’re looking clean
Too early to start the rounds
A ten minute ride from the Gold Coast back make sure you’re pleasure bound
And it’s four o’clock in the morning and all of the people have gone away
Just you and your mind and Lake Shore Drive, tomorrow is another day
And the sunshine’s fine in the morning time, tomorrow is another day
Anywhere I found
Running south on Lake Shore drive heading into town
Just snaking on by on LSD, Friday night trouble bound

ImMrPete
10-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Ok, possibly my favorate song of all time. The Ubiquitous Mr Lovegrove by Dead Can Dance. Every time I hear that song I get flooded with memories of my youth.

BallHawk
10-11-2006, 07:52 PM
To Zanarkand, it's a piano piece from Final Fantasy, never played the game but I love the music, but the melody is perfect.

There are a ton of jazz ones, but I don't know where to begin.

ImMrPete
10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
To Zanarkand, it's a piano piece from Final Fantasy, never played the game but I love the music, but the melody is perfect.

Nobuo Uematsu was a master composer. I don't know what Square is going to do without him. His music gave life to the Final Fantasy franchise.

Iron Mike
10-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Tyrone Bigguns, did you ever hear this album?
http://cheaptrashnyc.tripod.com/images2/wazmo.gif

<==can't find lyrics online to "Checkin' Out The Checkout Girl"

Iron Mike
10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Has anyone ever heard of Off Broadway?? (Outside of those that listen to WAPL.)

One of those local bands you could go see in the mid-80s for a couple of bucks.....

"Full Moon Turn My Head Around"

We got a beat, we got a good good beat we got a beat
We got a beat, we got a good good beat we got a good beat
We got a band, we got a good good band we got a good band
We got a beat, we got a U.S. beat, we got a good beat
When I'm edgy and I feel a little crazy and I'm going wrong
Should I take a drink or should I try to think about a simple song
What is wrong?
Full moon turn my head around and 'round
I should have listened to the almanac it said that I should stay in bed
When the moon is full a boy like me can definitely lose his head
What I said
Turn around, really wanna turn your head around
Turn turn around
(guitar solo)
Turn around, really wanna turn it
Dont turn your head but around and 'round, oh yeah
I should have listened to the almanac it said that I should stay in bed
When the moon is full a boy like me can definitely lose his head
No no no no no no no no nooooo....
No no no no no no no no nooooo....
Come on Mr. Moon, don't bug out too soon
Because we like you, we like you, Mr. Moon
I'll say it again
We like you, we like you, Mr. Moon
Get out of here!!!
Full moon turn my head around

LaFours
10-12-2006, 09:27 AM
i came up with this idea for a new thread yesterday while at work bored out of my mind. one of my favorite songs was playing over and over in my head. "the late greats" by wilco. the first verse is

so that got me thinking. what are some rare great songs that you guys know how, that most people would have never heard?

i'll start off with the holy grail for guitarists, that most probably haven't heard. i can't say i've ever heard it on the radio

never recorded in the studio, and he only started playing it live right before he died and never had a chance to record it for an album. a few of those live shows were recorded though, thank god. i've heard 3 versions, but my favorite comes from one of his greatest hits discs, recorded at the filmore east for a new years show.

the song is just incredible, and epic. if he would have been able to record this in the studio, IMO, it would rank right up there today with stairway, freebird, and comfortably numb. it definatly gives you chills to listen to it

anyone got some?

YES...someone else who listens to Wilco! I just saw them live in at Purdue University in Lafayette, IN and it was my third show. What do you think of their new stuff (sorry I didn't mention the greatest song I'VE never heard...I'll have to think on that one).

Badgepack
10-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Wilco, Jayhawks, Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Lucero, Golden Smog are all great bands that do not get the credit they deserve.

Still thinking on the unheard of great song still.

Freak Out
10-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Wilco, Jayhawks, Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Lucero, Golden Smog are all great bands that do not get the credit they deserve.

Just saw Son Volt for the first time a month ago and loved it. Even with the sound man botching things up half the show.

CaptainKickass
10-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm certain that it doesn't qualify for "greatest" and it is well outside of my normal listening style but:

They Might Be Giants recorded a song called "I Palindrome I".

For those who don't know - a palindrome is the same forwards as it is backwards - like Mom or Bob. But also could be a series of words instead of letters. For instance:

a toyota backwards is a toyota.

The greatest palindrome I've ever heard in a song as written by TMBG:

Son I am able she said though you scare me watch said I beloved I said watch me scare you though said she able am I son.

Now read it backwards.

and to top it off, they put it to music and it fits the melody.

Brilliant!

:mrgreen: :D :crazy:

Badgepack
10-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Angel City "Marseilles" 1978

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Tyrone Bigguns, did you ever hear this album?
http://cheaptrashnyc.tripod.com/images2/wazmo.gif

<==can't find lyrics online to "Checkin' Out The Checkout Girl"

Never heard them. Heard of them. Never got the play really outside Chicago.

IRS was the coolest label back then. Alarm, Pato Banton, Buzzcocks, Bolshoi, Dread Zep, Damned, FYC, Let's Active, Love and Rockets, Lords of the New Church, Klaus Nomi, R.E.M., XTC. Sigh.

Partial
10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
All the Wine - The National

Tyrone Bigguns
10-12-2006, 04:09 PM

Don't forget Lucinda, Original Harmony Ridge Creekdippers)(Olson post Jayhawks) Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams (polarizing artist, I know), Lambchop, and Sparklehorse.

Some country artist is having a hit with Blue by the Jayhawks. To bad they are broken up.

"You have to learn how to die
If you wanna be alive"

Badgepack
10-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Missed Lucinda at Summerfest 2 yrs ago, couldn't get anyone to go with me, I was very upset.

Check out some of the bands at Bloodshot Records.

red
10-12-2006, 05:23 PM

anyone got some?

YES...someone else who listens to Wilco! I just saw them live in at Purdue University in Lafayette, IN and it was my third show. What do you think of their new stuff (sorry I didn't mention the greatest song I'VE never heard...I'll have to think on that one).

i had only heard a little bit about them until a couple years ago, when my roomate found out they were playing in ann arbor and wanted me to go to the show. so i started listening to the music , and really liked it. then i went to the show, and it was nothing short of amazing

so its all kind of new to me, but i love ghost is born and YHFT. and the dvd " i am trying to break your heart", is pretty damn cool

i love jeff's mello laid back voice

red
10-12-2006, 05:25 PM

yeah, the music in all the FF's is very cool

the guy is definatly a great composer. i've seen where his records are some of the best selling albums in japan

good songs guy, i'll have to find and listen to them, i haven't heard of most of them

Iron Mike
10-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Check out Brian Setzer--post-Stray Cats, pre-BSO, with the awesome pompadour/mullet thang goin' on........."Mighty" Max Weinberg on drums, Ryan Longwell's dad on keys and Lone Justice as the rest of the band:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eFkTJDflcrc

Iron Mike
10-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Tarlam--look what I found during my 80s flashback!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bmz8PBlKc_8

Tyrone Bigguns
10-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Tarlam--look what I found during my 80s flashback!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Bmz8PBlKc_8

Never a big fan of the Big Band Brian Setzer.

Loved his first solo album. Knife Feels Like Justice.

"cause there aint nobody ever looked at me
Without lookin right through me
There aint nobody ever looked at me
Without lookin right by me
And you cant go when the knife feels like justice"

Hoodoo Gurus. Underappreciated. Bittersweet is an amazing song. Regularly crank up Mars Needs Guitars.

"We've grown and times change.
When we meet now it feels so strange.
I hold you like a sword
You won't cut me like you did before.
It's always bittersweet."

Iron Mike
10-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Remember the 80s???

Stevie Nicks = washed-up crack whore

Maria McKee = HOTT!!!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_znrTEGpQ

LaFours
10-13-2006, 07:58 AM

anyone got some?

i had only heard a little bit about them until a couple years ago, when my roomate found out they were playing in ann arbor and wanted me to go to the show. so i started listening to the music , and really liked it. then i went to the show, and it was nothing short of amazing

so its all kind of new to me, but i love ghost is born and YHFT. and the dvd " i am trying to break your heart", is pretty damn cool

i love jeff's mello laid back voice

The kicker is he's laid off the cigarettes and now he's whaling on the vocals. If they are around your neck of the woods anytime soon you should definitely look them up again.

Badgepack
10-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Wolfmother "Colossal" 2006

woodbuck27
10-14-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks red.

This thread is just great.

I have two seperate Artists/Pieces out of many possible's I'll come back to y'all on.

I hope more members contribute on this thread, as alot of us here love good music . This helps us get more in tune with other member's tastes and we often discover more for ourselves.

red:

on "Machine Gun" and Jimi Hendrix...too cool. :cool:

A buddy downloaded a Special CD gift for me of his material, that isn't often heard. I play that alot.

Tyrone Bigguns
10-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Great singer by the name of Ike Reilly outta Chi-town. Kind of a combo of Dylan meets Paul Westerberg (replacements).

Last Time

Last time I couldn’t make you cum
Last time you didn’t fake me out
Last time I got a little bit wasted
But this time I don’t think you’ll mind
Cuz I’m funny

A jew a black a paddy and a queer
Were ridin in a sea plane before it disappeared
Who goes to hell and who goes surfin
Who’s gonna be a meal for the urchins now

Chorus
Its goin down It’s goin down
It’s goin down Its goin down

Verse III
Last time I had dinner with a racist
Last time I just fell asleep
Last time I got a little bit wasted
And dreamed of a plane crashin into the sea

If I go down in a plane I’ll go to hell
But I’ll leave all my shit to my friends in a will
You can have my crown vic and you could have my debt
You could have my weakness and my regrets

But sweetheart take your dumptruck memories and
Bury them in the cold cold ground
I’ll come back for some dead mans lovin
You’ll need to cum I’ll need to throttle down

Chorus

Verse I

Yeah I’m funny Yeah I’m funny Yeah I’m funny

Verse III

Verse I

Salesmen and Racists and Football stars all hangin out at the hotel bar
Telling those jokes clearing their throats drinkin their dinner and smoking my dope
Well I will smile and I’ll backslap and laugh at those jokes and gladly shake their hands

Badgepack
02-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Tammi Terrell - What a Good Man He Is

1969 - Motown

Freak Out
02-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Anything by Neko Case.

Freak Out
02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Zappa - Saint Alphonso's pancake breakfast.

red
02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
something the younger ones might not know

sam cooke- a change is gonna come

they've been doing this song a lot on american idle, but don't let that ruin it for ya. its a direct response to bob dylans "the times they are a changin". and just a great old song that was released after he died

and another one, if anyone can ever find a cd by domestic problems, buy it. they're a band out of grand rapids michigan. we use to go see them all the time when i was in college. thet are just an all out blast to watch

they also have a great song named "untitled". if you can find it, give it a listen

also, for folk lovers, theres a new guy about to emerge. he's called the nightwatchman. his real name is tom morello, the guitarist for rage against the machine and audioslave, and one of the few guitar gods of the last 20 years. as the nightwatchman he picks up an acustic guitar and a harmonica and plays folk music just like what was big in the 60's. very early dylan like. he does little shows in LA, and i've seen him once in Madison. his first cd will be out in a couple months i think

heres his site, he has some songs steaming on it

http://www.myspace.com/thenightwatchman

AtlPackFan
02-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Not the greatest ever but it got caught in my head the other day....

Two Hangmen by Mason Proffit (sp?)