PDA

View Full Version : Favre Trade? Deal or no deal: Five trades that will never be

woodbuck27
10-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Deal or no deal: Five trades that will never be

By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

(Oct. 11, 2006) --

With the NFL's trade deadline looming Tuesday, here are five deals that absolutely should be -- but foolishly won't be -- made.

1) Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss to the New England Patriots for a first-round pick:

New England already has two No. 1 picks, the second of which it acquired from Seattle for wide receiver Deion Branch. Take one and deal it to Oakland for the game's most talented wide receiver. If New England could get Corey Dillon to buy into being a Patriot, then it could do the same for Moss.

Joey Porter wants a trade, but he likely won't get his wish this season.

2) Oakland wide receiver Jerry Porter to Minnesota for a conditional third-round pick:

The teams that are used to being involved in blockbuster receiver deals should pull off another. Porter has destroyed much of his value, but he's still worth a third-round pick that could climb to a second based on playing time.

3) San Diego running back Michael Turner to the Philadelphia Eagles for a second-round pick:

Before Turner becomes a restricted free agent after this season, San Diego should get a second-round pick for him now. And Philadelphia should give it up. A back such as Turner could be the difference between a good season and a great one.

Comment woodbuck27:

I like this RB. :mrgreen:

4) Seattle wide receiver Darrell Jackson to Kansas City for a second-round pick:

The Chiefs are lacking quality wideouts and the Seahawks have a surplus of them. Plus, Seattle's future revolves around Branch and Nate Burleson, not Jackson. Might as well get a quality pick for a quality player who would be happier elsewhere.

5) Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre for Dallas quarterback Tony Romo and a third-round pick: This would be the equivalent of baseball teams trading a Hall of Famer for a quality young arm. And think how happy T.O. would be, getting to play with the quarterback he wanted to play with instead of Donovan McNabb.

Problem is, the Packers never will trade Favre. And these other trades aren't much more likely.

But just because they won't happen doesn't mean they don't make sense.

Comment woodbuck27:

I would be a tad disappointed... if GM Ted Thompson traded Brett Favre. He wouldn't be that STUPID would he?

This proposed trade is nonsence anyway. Tony Romo is what's left now after Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe is barely hanging in there. He's as good as his OL with not the same skill set or scrambling ability as Favre still gives to us. Dallas wouldn't make that deal. It's laughable.

That proposal to Ted would cause him to possibly spend a few nights tossing in his sleep. :mrgreen:

There has been some speculation that sometime this season, we'll see #2 QB Tony Romo step in for Bledsoe too. Dallas keeps Romo.

ahaha
10-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Schefter is foolish if he thinks the Seahawks should trade Jackson or the Chargers deal Turner. Those are two teams with a chance at the Super Bowl. He thinks they should trade away good depth for draft picks? What the f@#k is he thinking?

Rastak
10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Schefter is foolish if he thinks the Seahawks should trade Jackson or the Chargers deal Turner. Those are two teams with a chance at the Super Bowl. He thinks they should trade away good depth for draft picks? What the f@#k is he thinking?

He never said that was what would happen, only that it makes sense.....plenty of stuff that makes sense never ever happens....

BF4MVP
10-12-2006, 06:55 PM
All we get for Favre is a third round pick and TONY FREAKING ROMO???

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaa :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put aside the fact that that's horrible value..But why the hell would we want Tony Romo anyways?!

Rastak
10-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Put aside the fact that that's horrible value..But why the hell would we want Tony Romo anyways?!

BF4MVP, what could you expect to get from a guy his age who talks about quiting every year, that would be a great deal for GB (IMHO). I'm also sure it would never happen.

BF4MVP
10-12-2006, 06:58 PM

BF4MVP, what could you expect to get from a guy his age who talks about quiting every year, that would be a great deal for GB (IMHO). I'm also sure it would never happen.
I would think that a team would give at least a second for one of the top 8 (arguably) quarterbacks in football..Even if he is 37..I ask again, why the HELL would we want Tony Romo? Rodgers is 4 years younger, and a lot more talented..

ahaha
10-12-2006, 07:01 PM

He never said that was what would happen, only that it makes sense.....plenty of stuff that makes sense never ever happens....

But these two don't make any sense. Turner is the Chargers return man and back-up to Thomlinson. You can't trade that away when you have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl, even if he's a restricted free-agent. And the Seahawks are in the running too. You don't give up that kind of depth when you're a good team making a run at the Super Bowl.

superfan
10-12-2006, 07:02 PM
How about this -- which of these 5 trades has the best chance of actually happening? I'd have to go with #1.

Moss to NE for a first wouldn't surprise me, and would make some sense. NE needs receiver help, and considering they are likely a playoff team, they would only be giving up a late first.

Minnesota would never trade for Porter because Childress and co. are trying to get rid of the bad apples -- wouldn't make sense to bring in another one.

If the Chargers are expecting to lose Turner at the end of the season, I could see that. But would the Eagles give up a 2nd for him? I don't know what the current health status of Westbrook is, which would be key to that deal happening.

Jackson to KC for a 2nd -- nah, just don't see that one happening. What's the point for either team?

Romo is OK, but not a guy I would want to rebuild my franchise around. Nobody knows if he would even beat out Rodgers over the next couple years. Not worth the public backlash.

ahaha
10-12-2006, 07:08 PM
The Moss trade is the only one that makes any sense.

Rastak
10-12-2006, 07:15 PM
How about this -- which of these 5 trades has the best chance of actually happening? I'd have to go with #1.

Moss to NE for a first wouldn't surprise me, and would make some sense. NE needs receiver help, and considering they are likely a playoff team, they would only be giving up a late first.

Minnesota would never trade for Porter because Childress and co. are trying to get rid of the bad apples -- wouldn't make sense to bring in another one.

If the Chargers are expecting to lose Turner at the end of the season, I could see that. But would the Eagles give up a 2nd for him? I don't know what the current health status of Westbrook is, which would be key to that deal happening.

Jackson to KC for a 2nd -- nah, just don't see that one happening. What's the point for either team?

Romo is OK, but not a guy I would want to rebuild my franchise around. Nobody knows if he would even beat out Rodgers over the next couple years. Not worth the public backlash.

I'm not so sure on Porter....a 3rd for a guy who's NOT sitting on a suspension who merely disagrees with his coach would be a worthwhile risk.
Just my opinion....

mission
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM

Because he makes great ribs.

DUH!

:mrgreen:

superfan
10-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm not so sure on Porter....a 3rd for a guy who's NOT sitting on a suspension who merely disagrees with his coach would be a worthwhile risk.
Just my opinion....

It seems to me like Porter is borderline TO Lite. So you'd be happy if the Vikes traded a 3rd for Porter?

I resent the suspension dig. :D

superfan
10-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Just for fun, I googled Tony Romo and landed on a board with smack talk leading up to the Cowboys - Eagles game. Tough to beat that for good entertainment. Half the posts are "This message has been removed by the administrator." Here are some excerpts of the remaining posts --

"if the great Drew Bledsoe doesn`t get us there, Tony Romo will. HE`S KNOCKIN ON THE DOOR!!!! GO BOYS!!! OOH YEAH!!!!! WHEW!!!!!!!"

(the above beauty was triple posted :D )

"look how pathetic your team is you guys are all on tony romos di*k and the dude hasnt taken a regulation snap or played against a number 1 defense"

"hav`nt seen him play yet? you will house boy! Tony Romo play good. tony romo play real good!!! i hope your not saying your boys have the number 1 defense. watch Brett Favre exploit that defense on monday night football!!"

okay, that last line is depressing.

"McNabb has been an all star, d*** near his whole career. What is the argumenet we are having. While the fags in our division have shuffling QBs, McNabb has been mopping the floor with their teams. They are just pitiful!!!

Go Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!"

"It pretty bad when they are already talking about Romo! HA!! If he is your savior, you're in pretty bad shape! These guys just hate McNabb because they know they have NOTHING compared to him. McNabb is better than anything they have or will have, end of story. We'll just wait until October 9th. It will be nice to have all the 'Birds fans on the board again. You won't be able to find a 'Boys fan that day... Bank on it...."

I wish I could have found the thread before half the posts were removed. Those were probably the real good ones.

woodbuck27
10-12-2006, 09:27 PM

I really wonder how TT would wrestle with that exact Trade proposal?

That would be a solid offer for Brett Favre.

Back to reality. Dallas is very high on Tony Romo by all the reports and speculation I've read and my observations in visits to " the Dallas fan forum" members there are all set to go ROMO in alot of cases as well.

Favre back with a righted Terry Glenn and T.O. would be Golden giving that Dallas has somewhat of a decent ground game as well.

Not far fr. Mississippi either.

That would have Ted Thompson's lips smaking I'd think; and certainly take a thorn out of his side. I have never believed that TT and Brett Favre were on the same page. Hasn't happened and it won't unless Favre hangs in somehow.

Brett Favre doesn't fit into TT's agenda. TT is for his needs. His needs obviously have no BIG concern for Favre and winning and all that comes with that. This season is going just swell for TT. :idea:

woodbuck27
10-12-2006, 10:17 PM

Comment Woodbuck27:

Reports have it that Randy Moss wants a trade. He's NOT happy. mmmm Sound like Randy? He had an outstanding TC and was all wired up for a Great Season and fiiiizzzllle...

Is Moss now worth a late first rounder? It all comes down to where his head is? Belichick is no idiot. He has two first rounders now and " a bird in the hand...Ehh !

I'd wait for a better possibility... and the worst I have is two first's..it's ALL good.

But Moss ?? Mosss won't put NE over the TOP either.They have work to do. They need that 2nd First Rounder unless something really special is offered.

I would think long and hard on this deal if I was Belichick. I don't even like using Randy Moss on one of my FF Teams. He's NOWHERE NOW !!

woodbuck27:

I wish we had Jerry Porter and maybe Minny would as well. **

woodbuck27:

Turner won't be traded. S.D. needs this RB as a backup and insuranceif LT went down.

woodbuck27:

Jackson is nowhere. Who needs him. Checking that again.. Yup.

KC may go for this fella but for a second...NOWAY... way too rich !

woodbuck27:

Romo goes nowhere. He will take over fr. #1 QB Drew Bledsoe by all I have learned. Even maybe sometime this season. Things arn't all rosy in Dallas.

Dallas Team Owner Jerry Jones, wants another winner and it's not going to be with Drew Bledsoe. Also how long will Jerry Jones be able to retain Bill Parcells? ROMO is their answer soon.

** Best trade scenario IMO...is Jerry Porter to Minny [b]for a conditional third-round pick. ALL DAY LONG !!

Too bad that Minny didn't have the QB they'd really like as Brad Johnson is merely serviceable and he has been that but still ...getting it done.

I'm moving all over that one if I'm GM of Minny.

Wouldn't Favre love to have Jery Porter in Green Bay (till he's 40 years of age That's Favre I'm referring to by the way not JP.

So Favre = 40 Years old and still a Packer with the likes of WR's:

Donald Driver, Jerry Porter, GregJennings and Koren Robinson. ALL for the next 2-3 seasons .... Whoooooeee !! :mrgreen: X 10 !!!

Name a better four WR's on any TEAM in the NFL ??

If TT was on it ...what am I even imagining for ? :oops:

Lurker64
10-12-2006, 10:27 PM
If only I could get paid to write about trades that won't get made, that's got to be about the easiest job in the universe (Marquand Manuel for Ed Reed?). As per trades that should happen? What on earth would TT's motivation be to trade for Romo since we already have a first round draft pick invested in Rodgers? In what universe "should" TT trade for a QB controversey and a 3rd round pick?

Also, tonytokes, I also think of ribs everytime someone mentions Romo. I don't want him on my team!

woodbuck27
10-12-2006, 10:47 PM
If only I could get paid to write about trades that won't get made, that's got to be about the easiest job in the universe (Marquand Manuel for Ed Reed?). As per trades that should happen? What on earth would TT's motivation be to trade for Romo since we already have a first round draft pick invested in Rodgers? In what universe "should" TT trade for a QB controversey and a 3rd round pick?

Also, tonytokes, I also think of ribs everytime someone mentions Romo. I don't want him on my team!

but but...Isn't he cool? :cool:

prsnfoto
10-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Rodgers is 4 years younger, and a lot more talented..[/quote]

I disagree with the more talented part I want Brett to play until Rodgers retires! :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
10-13-2006, 11:57 PM
1) Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss to the New England Patriots for a first-round pick:

New England already has two No. 1 picks, the second of which it acquired from Seattle for wide receiver Deion Branch. Take one and deal it to Oakland for the game's most talented wide receiver. If New England could get Corey Dillon to buy into being a Patriot, then it could do the same for Moss.

Note: More Player News

Randy Moss trade rumors rampant

News: Numerous published sources have linked Randy Moss' name in trade talks with teams including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots.

None of this means that Moss will be moved before the NFL's trading deadline (especially since the Raiders want a first-round pick for him),

but the chatter does suggest that maybe the Raiders are at least considering it. Moss has said on FOX Sports Radio that he wouldn't mind being traded out of Oakland.

Furthermore, the salary cap hit the Raiders would take would not be as bad as once believed because of new language in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

:mrgreen:

Lurker64
10-14-2006, 09:06 AM
News: Numerous published sources have linked Randy Moss' name in trade talks with teams including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots.

Wow, Belichick, Del Rio, or Cowher. Moss will get along great with any one of those three.