View Full Version : Barnett Selling Nightclub

Joemailman
10-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Barnett says sale of nightclub not a sign
Linebacker intends to stay in Green Bay
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Oct. 12, 2006
Green Bay - Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett understands how his decision to sell his downtown nightclub, FiveSix Ultra Club, might send the message that he's fed up with the city and intends to move on after his contract expires after the 2007 season.

Barnett quietly put the club up for sale several weeks ago despite it being what he termed a "very profitable business."

However, he had a bitter fight with the city council last spring after it pulled his liquor license for a month for what it claimed were late-night disturbances and later was singled out among a group of people - all of them white - and given a citation for jaywalking by a police officer. The city council and the police department came under fire for its dealings with Barnett - who was born of an interracial couple - and eventually Mayor Jim Schmitt urged city council to restore Barnett's license, which it did.

The club, which features dancing, comedy shows and special events, remains open.

"I can see a lot of reasons why people would think I want to sell it," Barnett said. "There's a lot of things, you know. I guess people can assume it's because of the problems I had with the city, the police. . . . But it's not all about that. We've ironed all those things out. It's definitely not about leaving the team. It's far from any of those."

During his dealings with the city, Barnett expressed frustration with the way he was treated and noted that a club nearby with a record of far more police calls than his had not been disciplined at all. That led some people to think Barnett was being treated differently because of his race.

Barnett has said he doesn't think the entire city is racist, but that stereotyping of his clientele, many of whom are African-American, was unjust. The city has been trying to rid its own stereotype of being racist and it didn't help that someone spray painted racial epithets on Barnett's establishment during his widely publicized dealings with the city.

Putting the club on the market was a decision Barnett made about a month ago. He had received offers from people before that to buy the building and just decided to see what he could get for it. He thinks it might be time to get out and his coach couldn't agree more.

"I grew up in that business," said coach Mike McCarthy, whose father owned a bar in Pittsburgh. "It's a challenge. It's a good move (to sell). To be a professional athlete and have a commitment to a job and what they're asked to do on a daily basis and a yearly basis, that's a hard business to be in."

Barnett said that although he makes money from the club, selling it will leave him "close to breaking even."

Barnett doesn't know how long it will take for the club to be sold, but he figures it will be sometime after the season. One could assume that Barnett's decision was an indication that he was preparing to leave Green Bay, but he said he would love to sign a long-term deal to stay.

"I would like to get them to re-do my deal, like any player would," Barnett said. "Yes I have problems with the city. (But) if I had problems with the city and wanted to sell (because of that), I would have sold it back then.

"I still have my family out here. I moved them (his mother, sister and two nephews). I'm still rooted in the community. So I'm far from leaving Green Bay."

Still, Barnett would like the Packers to approach him about an extension. Typically, the team won't do anything until a player is in the final year of his contract, so Barnett will probably have to wait until after this season.

Barnett is not really saying why he chose to sell. Maybe he just got tired, of the hassles he received, maybe he just wants to concentrate on football only. I hope things work out.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2006, 11:10 AM
M3 has a point about Barnett having too much on the plate. After all the sheeze that went down with his club I agree. Hasnt seemed to affect Barnett though. Seems like he is at his best this season. Maybe staying with the same D for once helped?

Either way TT needs to get on the ball and hook Barnett up or he is gonna be out.

Fosco33
10-13-2006, 08:28 PM
I had a feeling a few weeks back and posted this as such - Barnett is on the first bus out of GB after the season. Here's hoping Hodge is as good as we all hope he can be :cool:

KYPack
10-13-2006, 09:28 PM
I dunno Fos.

Hodge isn't all that was advertised.

He's real green and not quite the quick thumper I kept hearing about. I feel like he'll be a player for us, but we to keep Barnette around for awhile.

Hodge doesn't have a pro read yet and getting banged up a lot is another rookie move.

I like Hodge, too, but he needs reps, time and a year of an NFL weight room..

woodbuck27
10-14-2006, 12:43 AM
As I see it both Hodge and HAWK need to beef up...strengthen.

We need Nick Barnett.

Fosco33
10-14-2006, 12:59 AM
As I see it both Hodge and HAWK need to beef up...strengthen.

We need Nick Barnett.

How much would you pay to keep Barnett around?

One of his statement really hit me...

"I'm just testing the waters. There have been people inquiring about buying, and I just thought about listing it, putting it on the market, to see what's out there."

Sounds a lot like free agency, IMO.

esoxx
10-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Barnett's not even in the final year of his contract yet. No need to rush. Everyone wants to redo their deal, as Nick admits. This is a slippery slope that needs to be treaded carefully. Let's see how this year plays out and if Nick stays productive and healthy, extension awaits in the offseason. Or at least it should....right TT?

Hodge's main weakness is his foot speed. Can't get to the edge in the pro game...that's what I'm hearing. He's got some pop, just not the wheels you'd like at MIKE in THIS defensive scheme. Could be a poor fit in this system. Would excel inside in a 3-4, imo.