PDA

View Full Version : WR Mike Hass of Oregon State is worth a serious look

oregonpackfan
04-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Now that Terrance Murphy is gone from the Packers and Walker all but gone, the Packers need to seriously think of using a mid-round choice on WR Mike Hass of Oregon State.

Many draft charts have him as low as the 14th best receiver considered for the NFL, but he will surprise many people in the pros. Here is a guy who won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the best receiver in college ball.

Here is also a guy who broke all of Chad Johnson's receiving records at Oregon State and broke several Pac 10 receiving records.

Many NFL scouts dismiss him because he is only 6'1" tall and 208 pounds. His fastest time in the 40 is 4.55 seconds. He is explosive, however, in getting off the snap and getting open. In the NFL combine 20 yard shuffle, he had the fifth quickest time of any player.

Hass runs accurate routes and has excellent hands. Most scouts label him as a "Possession" type of receiver. It is true that he will not extend the field as well as the sprinter type of receiver. Hass, however, can fill a need for the short to medium range type of pass. Here is what one scouting report says about him:

Catches almost anything and is solid route runner. Deceptivly fast and is one of the top receivers in the nation.

Riley says:
"Mike has come to the point in this program where he carries a major load offensively and is counted on to be a leader.

The best way to describe him on the field is that he is a guy who will go catch the ball for you, and that is the reason quarterbacks look for him so often."

OSU: Hass left Oregon State as the school’s all-time leading receiver with 3,924 yards, third all-time in the Pac-10 Conference...as a senior he was selected to the Walter Camp Foundation All-America team, won the Biletnikoff Award (nation’s top receiver) and was a first team ESPN.com and Associated Press All-American...two-time first team All-Pac-10...also earned Associated Press Third Team All-American as a junior...his 1,532 yards receiving as a senior marked a new conference record...ended his career with a school record 220 receptions and shares the school record for career touchdowns receiving with 20...he broke the school record with 86 receptions in 2004 and followed that up with a record breaking 90 in 2005...co-team captain as a senior...started 35 games for his career, including 34 straight...had 19 100 yards plus receiving games for his career...the first receiver in Pac-10 history with three 1,000-plus yards seasons...owns the OSU record with 14 receptions in a 2004 game at Arizona State and has the Reser Stadium (OSU’s home) record of 11 receptions in games vs. Boise State, Arizona and Arizona State – all in 2005...played in 2002, mainly on special teams...finished his career with three games of 200-plus yards receiving – 208 at USC (2003), 225 vs. Stanford (2003), and 293 at Boise State (2004)...originally a walkon who was awarded a scholarship in 2003.

Coming out of high school, no Division 1 team offered him a scholarship. He had to literally beg then Oregon State coach Dennis Erickson for a walk-on position.

Hass faces the same skepticism from NFL scouts and coaches that he did from college coaches because he is not a physical speciman with his size. The bottom line is that the guy just makes plays. He is worth a 4th round selection, IMHO.

Oregonpackfan

ND72
04-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Maurice Stovall....Notre Dame.
6'5" 220...4.5 40

He's made for MM offense. Watch for him.

CyclonePackFan
04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
I've been waiting for a while to call this one, and this looks like it's gonna be the 'call your draft sleeper' thread.

Almost every year Iowa State has one player who isn't highly regarded but gets drafted and winds up playing well. Two years ago it was Jordan Carstens, who is now putting in a lot of time for the Panthers, and last year I told people we should take Ellis Hobbs, who was only listed in most scouting reports as a special teams gunner but wound up being widely considered the best 3rd round pick in the draft last year and had the best year of all the cornerbacks drafted, starting for the Patriots towards the end of the year.

This year I'm actually hearing things about Tim Dobbins, but he's not my sleeper. My guy to watch out for:

Nick Leaders, DT, Iowa State.

First team Coaches and Second team AP All-Big XII, started as a true freshmen and didn't miss a game in the following 4 years. At 6'2" and 290 lbs a little undersized, but has a good work ethic and motor, always seems to be around the end of the play. Named team MVP this year.

He reminds me a lot of Aaron Kampman. Not the best physical specimen, will take some time to develop but is very blue-collar, works hard, and doesn't seem to quit. I'd be happy if we tabbed him on the 2nd day.

Partial
04-20-2006, 07:20 PM
measurables, measureables, measureables.

While I trust you ND since you're a coach and know your shit and def. watch notre dame, I cannot get past everyone's obsession with measureables.
(not ripping you at all man, I trust you opinion 100% on ND and OL stuff, just pointing out the general obsession with measureables versus production)
((I know nothing about this guy, so please don't turn around and post amazing stats and embarrass me! :lol: ))

I like the article on the guy listed above because it doesn't mention how his workouts were or anything like that, other than he fought his way from the bottom and broke many, many records. Thats a blue collar guy, and that fits the bill of a packer person in my mind

ND72
04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
oh no that is completely understandable. truly, Stovall was a huge disappointment until Charlie Weis came and he just took off with the offense. Now I don't really know either, cause potentially, I think Brady Quinn is the #1 pick next year, so that probably helps a lot. BUT, he did have 69 receptions, 1149 yards and 11 TD this season. the big thing is he is a big WR, which MM loves. and Weis runs a "version" of the west coast offense, so he'd understand it at least a little. I just like the guy...i think he could turn out to be the best WR in this draft, VERY compariable to Chris Chambers, but bigger.

Partial
04-20-2006, 07:32 PM
On an unrelated question, how do you feel Brady Quinn compares to say a Peyton Manning coming out of college? To be very honest I caught one or two games of theirs this year and was doing homework during them so I really don't know too much about him. Is he for real or is he another great college quarterback?

edit - What round is the ND receiver expected to go? They also have a good tight end correct?

ND72
04-20-2006, 07:34 PM
I thought he was a very good QB his freshman and sophomore years with Ty Willingham. I think having Weis come in just made him so much better, and more "pro" ready. I think he can defineately be the real deal. I don't know if he's Peyton Manning, but he'd probably be the QB I'd compare him to right now. He'll be a good one.

HarveyWallbangers
04-20-2006, 11:11 PM
I like Stovall. I think he's getting short-changed. I think he has a chance to be the best wideout in this weak draft class at WR.