PDA

View Full Version : Silverstein Article

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2006, 09:42 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=517868

I didn't think Silverstein's latest article was fair to Green Bay. The article follows. Here was the email I sent him:

Mr. Silverstein,

I didn't like the latest article you wrote. You talked about the incidents that Barnett had with his club, and those were unfortunate. You failed to mention the amends the city, police, and community (raising money to find the culprits) have made to rectify the situation. If you weren't from Green Bay and you read that article, the general feeling you get from that article is that Green Bay is indeed racist--because nothing was reported about the steps many people have made to undo a wrong.

Linebacker intends to stay in Green Bay
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett understands how his decision to sell his downtown nightclub, FiveSix Ultra Club, might send the message that he's fed up with the city and intends to move on after his contract expires after the 2007 season.

But he said that's not the case.

Barnett quietly put the club up for sale several weeks ago despite it being what he termed a "very profitable business."

However, he had a bitter fight with the city council last spring after it pulled his liquor license for a month for what it claimed were late-night disturbances and later was singled out among a group of people - all of them white - and given a citation for jaywalking by a police officer. The city council and the police department came under fire for its dealings with Barnett - who was born of an interracial couple - and eventually Mayor Jim Schmitt urged city council to restore Barnett's license, which it did.

The club, which features dancing, comedy shows and special events, remains open.

"I can see a lot of reasons why people would think I want to sell it," Barnett said. "There's a lot of things, you know. I guess people can assume it's because of the problems I had with the city, the police. . . . But it's not all about that. We've ironed all those things out. It's definitely not about leaving the team. It's far from any of those."

During his dealings with the city, Barnett expressed frustration with the way he was treated and noted that a club nearby with a record of far more police calls than his had not been disciplined at all. That led some people to think Barnett was being treated differently because of his race.

Barnett has said he doesn't think the entire city is racist, but that stereotyping of his clientele, many of whom are African-American, was unjust. The city has been trying to rid its own stereotype of being racist and it didn't help that someone spray painted racial epithets on Barnett's establishment during his widely publicized dealings with the city.

Putting the club on the market was a decision Barnett made about a month ago. He had received offers from people before that to buy the building and just decided to see what he could get for it. He thinks it might be time to get out and his coach couldn't agree more.

"I grew up in that business," said coach Mike McCarthy, whose father owned a bar in Pittsburgh. "It's a challenge. It's a good move (to sell). To be a professional athlete and have a commitment to a job and what they're asked to do on a daily basis and a yearly basis, that's a hard business to be in."

Barnett said that although he makes money from the club, selling it will leave him "close to breaking even."

Barnett doesn't know how long it will take for the club to be sold, but he figures it will be sometime after the season. One could assume that Barnett's decision was an indication that he was preparing to leave Green Bay, but he said he would love to sign a long-term deal to stay.

"I would like to get them to re-do my deal, like any player would," Barnett said. "Yes I have problems with the city. (But) if I had problems with the city and wanted to sell (because of that), I would have sold it back then.

"I still have my family out here. I moved them (his mother, sister and two nephews). I'm still rooted in the community. So I'm far from leaving Green Bay."

Still, Barnett would like the Packers to approach him about an extension. Typically, the team won't do anything until a player is in the final year of his contract, so Barnett will probably have to wait until after this season.

Rastak
10-13-2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=517868

I didn't think Silverstein's latest article was fair to Green Bay. The article follows. Here was the email I sent him:

Mr. Silverstein,

I didn't like the latest article you wrote. You talked about the incidents that Barnett had with his club, and those were unfortunate. You failed to mention the amends the city, police, and community (raising money to find the culprits) have made to rectify the situation. If you weren't from Green Bay and you read that article, the general feeling you get from that article is that Green Bay is indeed racist--because nothing was reported about the steps many people have made to undo a wrong.

I don't care what steps they made to rectify matters, the facts are he was singled out for a jaywalking ticket and it seems he was singled out as a club owner also. I can't comment on weather the cops and the city council are composed of a bunch of racists because I'd need to live there day in and day out to really know but they sure SEEM to be based on their actions.

edit: It also should be noted they attempted to rectify the situation AFTER it became a national story and looked like racists fools (Looked like, as I said I don't know if they are).

GBRulz
10-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Harv, as negative as the article sounds, I really don't blame him for this opinion.

The fact is that the GB City Council is pathetic. Led by brat stealing, Phat Dog vendor killin', Guy Zima. Where others who only get to read what's on the national news, of course you'd certainly come away with the idea that this is flat out racism. But by living there, you would understand that GB is desperate in trying to get people to come downtown. Our downtown is a ghost town. By leading people to believe that they are cleaning up bars and clubs that violate rules, etc, people will think "maybe we should give downtown another chance" type of thing.

Personally, I think this was driven by the fact that Barnett is a well-known target, so let's go after him. NOT because he was black. Who turned it into a racist matter? The damn media.

Now, as for the cop who issued Barnett a citation for jaywalking. No exuse for that and he did apologize for it. Hey, i'm not saying GB doesn't have racists, they are everywhere, but as for the city council itself, I think it was more of an attempt to show people that they are cleaning up downtown.

Below is a brief news article from this morning.... another incident at Hip Cats (Pi's is connected to Hip Cats). Now, had this shooting occured at Barnett's place, it would have made national news......

Man Shot to Death Outside Downtown Nightclubs

Oct 13, 2006 07:21 AM CDT

Shooting Outside Downtown Nightclub

Green Bay police are searching for the suspect in an early Friday morning murder.

Police say about 1:00 A.M., two groups of men got into an argument in the parking lot outside Pi nightclub.

The parking lot is near the intersection of Adams and Walnut streets.

Police say one man fired five shots. Three bullets hit the victim in the head. Police say the 21-year-old man died at the scene.

Officers evacuated both Pi and nearby Hipcats nightclub after the shooting.

Police have not released the suspect's description. They say this is an isolated incident.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't care what steps they made to rectify matters, the facts are he was singled out for a jaywalking ticket and it seems he was singled out as a club owner also. I can't comment on weather the cops and the city council are composed of a bunch of racists because I'd need to live there day in and day out to really know but they sure SEEM to be based on their actions.

You mean like the cops throwing a couple of drunk American Indians in the trunk of their squad car?

EDIT: You can't throw an entire city under the bus because of an incident like this. I've been to Green Bay a lot, and I can say that I've been witness to no more racism in that town than the Twin Cities (which is known as a very acceptiing community). A small snapshot, I know, but I tend to think Green Bay does better in race relations than most Midwestern small towns--probably because most of the population grew up idolizing African-American ballplayers. When I moved to the Twin Cities, I saw some appalling racist behavior. That's not to say that the Twin Cities is racist. Just pointing out that things like that happen. Not all individuals in any community are perfect.

mmmdk
10-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Man Shot to Death Outside Downtown Nightclubs

Oct 13, 2006 07:21 AM CDT

Shooting Outside Downtown Nightclub

Green Bay police are searching for the suspect in an early Friday morning murder.

Police say about 1:00 A.M., two groups of men got into an argument in the parking lot outside Pi nightclub.

The parking lot is near the intersection of Adams and Walnut streets.

Police say one man fired five shots. Three bullets hit the victim in the head. Police say the 21-year-old man died at the scene.

Officers evacuated both Pi and nearby Hipcats nightclub after the shooting.

Police have not released the suspect's description. They say this is an isolated incident.

This makes me sick. I just visited Green Bay and had a ball. I felt safe walking the streets of GB, mostly around Lambeau though.

I met so many friendly people in Green Bay. I am not naive but shooting people in head is not normal. If it has become a normality then I believe you're in trouble as a society. Do you just shrug your shoulders when this happens and say: "that's life"? Maybe in your bubble or what? My point is simply; don't accept the present if it's screwed up and don't let anobody tell that things can't change. They can & will.

I'll be back in Green Bay next season - I am 100% sure. Green Bay is now my second "home".

Rastak
10-13-2006, 12:25 PM

You mean like the cops throwing a couple of drunk American Indians in the trunk of their squad car?

EDIT: You can't throw an entire city under the bus because of an incident like this. I've been to Green Bay a lot, and I can say that I've been witness to no more racism in that town than the Twin Cities (which is known as a very acceptiing community). A small snapshot, I know, but I tend to think Green Bay does better in race relations than most Midwestern small towns--probably because most of the population grew up idolizing African-American ballplayers. When I moved to the Twin Cities, I saw some appalling racist behavior. That's not to say that the Twin Cities is racist. Just pointing out that things like that happen. Not all individuals in any community are perfect.

Yea, I recall that incident very well Harvey. I'm 100% convinced there IS a racist element in the Minneapolis police force. How much? I don't know.

Same as Green Bay, I really don't know how pervasive it is but I do think the conduct was completely unfair, as Silverstein alludes to.

HarveyWallbangers
10-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Yea, I recall that incident very well Harvey. I'm 100% convinced there IS a racist element in the Minneapolis police force. How much? I don't know.

Same as Green Bay, I really don't know how pervasive it is but I do think the conduct was completely unfair, as Silverstein alludes to.

But I think it's fair to point out the response also. I don't think saying that the city dealt with it only when it became a national issue is fair at all either. The time-frame wasn't that long--where they were dragging their feet. The announcement came about his club and within the next day or two, the police and city council addressed the situation. Now, GBM has a good point. I don't know anything about the makeup of the city council.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Well I dont know how the cops operate out there but they aint any better out here and there is no shortage of minorities in Cali.

(I was actually gonna post about this before)
Last month I got pulled over for speeding on my "side" of town. I pulled over right away, rolled the window down, shut off the car. When I looked in the sideview mirror I could see Officer Kickass had his hand on his pistol and was ready to draw. He held it like this all the way until he got to the car and saw I had my hands on the steering wheel. When I ask him why he needed to have his pistol ready his face turned very red. He said that was dept. policy and that he was within his rights to protect himself. I ask him what I had done give him reason. He only asked me for my DL, registration, and insurance. I gave them to him and he walked back to his car.

After a minute or so a unmarked car pulled up and two plainclothes cops got out and stood next to my ride. I was thinking they where gonna search it which pissed me off. I rolled down the passenger windows and asked one of them if they had anything better to do for the money I was paying them. He laughed, the other stayed quiet.

The Officer Kickass then came back and asked me to sign my ticket. When I looked at the citation it said "RECKLESS DRIVING". Now how the hell speeding is reckless driving baffles me. When I asked him what he would do if I didnt sign it, he said I would go to jail. So I signed it and when he gave me my copy I crumpled it up and threw it on the car floor. I told him
I would fight it even though I knew I would lose. He said "Yes, you will lose" and walked off with the other punk ass cops. I drove off, disgusted.

When I got home I called the PD office and asked if that was really their policy and the person I spoke to siad that because a officer had been shot the week before in the next town over the officer was being cautious. I told the person that I hadnt shot any officer so it shouldnt apply to me. I aksed about the protect and serve part of being a cop and if the police car camera is available for my viewing, they said only the judge can decide that. I said that Officer Kickass was a liar abot the reckless driving. The person informed me I was on a recorded line and should be careful cuz what I said could be used against me. I told them thanks for nothing and hung up.

So I will be going to court instead of just paying up and I aint gonna plead guilty. I am gonna go up there, say my story and get what I get.

My objective before then? To see if I can record a cop pulling someone over on the other "side" of town and catch them drawing their pistol. I doubt I will ever see it.

Not much I know but still matters to me. It was in the daylight/morning, I was in a newer model car, no rims, no stereo bumping, no tinted windows, nothing! Just a latino on his way home.

Maybe I deserve to get shot but the cop didnt know that. :mrgreen:

Rastak
10-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Well I dont know how the cops operate out there but they aint any better out here and there is no shortage of minorities in Cali.

(I was actually gonna post about this before)
Last month I got pulled over for speeding on my "side" of town. I pulled over right away, rolled the window down, shut off the car. When I looked in the sideview mirror I could see Officer Kickass had his hand on his pistol and was ready to draw. He held it like this all the way until he got to the car and saw I had my hands on the steering wheel. When I ask him why he needed to have his pistol ready his face turned very red. He said that was dept. policy and that he was within his rights to protect himself. I ask him what I had done give him reason. He only asked me for my DL, registration, and insurance. I gave them to him and he walked back to his car.

After a minute or so a unmarked car pulled up and two plainclothes cops got out and stood next to my ride. I was thinking they where gonna search it which pissed me off. I rolled down the passenger windows and asked one of them if they had anything better to do for the money I was paying them. He laughed, the other stayed quiet.

The Officer Kickass then came back and asked me to sign my ticket. When I looked at the citation it said "RECKLESS DRIVING". Now how the hell speeding is reckless driving baffles me. When I asked him what he would do if I didnt sign it, he said I would go to jail. So I signed it and when he gave me my copy I crumpled it up and threw it on the car floor. I told him
I would fight it even though I knew I would lose. He said "Yes, you will lose" and walked off with the other punk ass cops. I drove off, disgusted.

When I got home I called the PD office and asked if that was really their policy and the person I spoke to siad that because a officer had been shot the week before in the next town over the officer was being cautious. I told the person that I hadnt shot any officer so it shouldnt apply to me. I aksed about the protect and serve part of being a cop and if the police car camera is available for my viewing, they said only the judge can decide that. I said that Officer Kickass was a liar abot the reckless driving. The person informed me I was on a recorded line and should be careful cuz what I said could be used against me. I told them thanks for nothing and hung up.

So I will be going to court instead of just paying up and I aint gonna plead guilty. I am gonna go up there, say my story and get what I get.

My objective before then? To see if I can record a cop pulling someone over on the other "side" of town and catch them drawing their pistol. I doubt I will ever see it.

Not much I know but still matters to me. It was in the daylight/morning, I was in a newer model car, no rims, no stereo bumping, no tinted windows, nothing! Just a latino on his way home.

Maybe I deserve to get shot but the cop didnt know that. :mrgreen:

Mad, that was pretty sad but one bit of advice....if you leave out the sarcasm you might have gotten a regular ticket or a warning. These guys hold ALL the cards....all of them. Unfair or not. I know a guy who was at a party and the cops raided it (this was in Minneapolis) if I recall the story as he told it to me, he saw a guy get a club in the noggin and asked the cop if that was really necessary since the dude was just walking. Next thing you know he gets slammed and they book him for resisting arrest, which is a total lie. I don't recall how it ended but he spent the night in jail. In this case I'm not sure how he could have avoided it.

Anyway, bad story Mad, sorry to hear it actually. Maybe a yes sir no sir and a call to internal affairs might have been a better course of action....then again, I ain't in Cali so you probably know better.

MJZiggy
10-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I wonder if it was more of a reaction to where you were than who you were 'cause the same kind of thing happened to me and, quite frankly, I am no threat to anyone. I just happened to have a tail light out in the wrong part of town. Which, by the way, earned my car a very careful looking over by the officer involved...

Partial
10-13-2006, 01:42 PM
I got pulled over for "drunk driving" last year on a freeway on ramp onto 894 heading from Milwaukee back home last Christmas. I hadn't had a drink all night, and was certainly not acting like it. I wasn't speeding, swurving, switching lanes or anything. Just cruisin a long at a steady 62 in a 55.

Douchebag cops put me through the whole sobriety test (which is a load of shit designed to make people fail - from the mouth of a chief of the local fire department), and even though I passed that they still thought I was under the influence, so they demanded to search my car.

This is where I got a little nervous, because I wasn't 21 yet had a bottle of booze in the car earlier in the night. I took the bottle out, but it was a bottle of Svedka vodka and had a purple tag that went around the top of the bottle that I left sitting on my front seat. I did not want to get busted for this, so I said no they could not search my car since they didn't have any reason to.

It was at this point that I was informed I would be arrested for drunk driving if I did not authorize a search, so finally I agreed to do this. They cuffed me and had me go sit in the back of the cop car.

Now, at this point, they called in back-up with a search dog. This was probably 1 am, and I was coming home from Platteville so I had a car filled up with laundry and all sorts of other random crap. I had a trunk full of random papers and frisbees that I had for one reason or another.

So they start searching my car, and evidentally the drug "smells something but cannot locate it due to the mess", so they come back to the cop car, and ask if they can go through my laundry basket. At this point I am ticked, saying fine, do whatever you need to do so I can get on my way.

I've never had any drugs in my possession ever in my entire life, so this whole thing was a little ridiculous. It was at this point where I decided that I hate all cops and will forever spite them in any way that I possibly can. Earlier in the night, I went to Chipotle with 3 of my friends from back home, and I had half of a burrito left, wrapped up in tin foil in a bag. Well this fricking dog is sniffing around this bag, so the officers pull it out of the car, set it on the hood of my car, and keep searching. About a minute later, they conclude their search and the dog exits my car. The dog jumps off and knocks my bag on the ground, and uses its snout to unwrap and slobber all over my burrito.

I was many steps beyond pissed at this point, but just wanted to get out of their, so I kept my mouth shut. I love chipotle, and that was two dollars and fifty cents flushed down the toilet, along with my time, along with a good hour or so of entrapment for doing nothing wrong. BS.

What I should have done was grown a pair, called 911, said I did not trust the cops I was dealing with, felt threatened, informed the 911 officer that they threatened me, and requested a senior officer report to the scene. The next day i should have called the county and threatened them with an entrapment violation. Quite frankly it was the most ridiculous thing that has ever happened to me.

GBRulz
10-13-2006, 04:31 PM
See, there is my frustration with this article and the media. People like Rastak commenting on the conduct being unfair because they (the city council) are racist. Rastak, first of all, i'm not at all calling you out, I'm just saying how the typical person who knows nothing about this city sees the incident as a racial issue. In which I don't blame them at all because the media is reporting it that way.

The city council is a joke but they aren't racists. They tried to use a big name like Barnett to show that they are cleaning up their city. It's crap.

Now, the officer who issued the citation to Barnett but not the other two people walking with him. THAT is a disgrace. I would agree to point that as a racial callout. But not the city council. Racism or not, the way the whole situation was handled was a joke and we the people of GB deserve better than that.

GBRulz
10-13-2006, 04:34 PM
mad, that sucks. I'm curious though, where you speeding 20 mph over the speed limit? Here that is considered reckless driving.

How many of you guys seen the movie "Crash" ? it's disturbing how very much alive racism is in today's society.

Some cops though are just on a power trip.

GBRulz
10-13-2006, 04:43 PM
partial,
I don't think cops have a right to search a car without a cause. It sounds like he used that line about arresting you for drunk driving as a scare tactic. Failing a sobriety test in the state of WI is not enough proof to convict with a DUI. A blood test or breathalizer is needed. Now, if you refused those tests, then yes, they can warrant a conviction for DUI.

I myself was pulled over once because the cop said I was swerving. I had to take a sobriety test and I did fine. Well, he was just bound and determined that I was drunk and then gave me breathalizer, which I blew .04. I had two beers over the span of like 4 hours.

Turns out the cops were pulling over random cars that were leaving a certain bar that night.

MJZiggy
10-13-2006, 05:14 PM
GBR, they might not be able to get a conviction that way, but they could arrest him and take him in for the breathalyzer, couldn't they? Might not put him in jail, but it sure would be a royal pain when you're trying to get home.

MadtownPacker
10-13-2006, 05:33 PM
Rastak - All I did was say "is that really neccessary?" how is that so bad? I knew it wasnt gonna go over well and youre right they do hold all the cards but the last time I got messed with I stayed quiet and still got citied so i figured what the hell! Haha, why do you guys get red so easily?

GBM - I was going 55MPH in a supposed 45MPH zone. The cops was city PD and put the limit at 45. The "street" is actually a "road" right out of the city limits and I believe it might even be 55 MPH like all roads out here. If so then Officer Kickass might not win after all. It's not marked so I will find out.

P - You where driving late and that is a lil understandable. Still you where not treated fair. You played it right though and had a reasonably complaint you should have filed. When I called the PD office they acted like shit.

Ziggy - You are a female driver, NUFF SAID!! :mrgreen:

Probable cause mean nothing more then if piggy wiggy feels like you are up to no good. its a way to give them an all-access pass to your car and your rights.

Rastak
10-13-2006, 07:37 PM
See, there is my frustration with this article and the media. People like Rastak commenting on the conduct being unfair because they (the city council) are racist. Rastak, first of all, i'm not at all calling you out, I'm just saying how the typical person who knows nothing about this city sees the incident as a racial issue. In which I don't blame them at all because the media is reporting it that way.

The city council is a joke but they aren't racists. They tried to use a big name like Barnett to show that they are cleaning up their city. It's crap.

Now, the officer who issued the citation to Barnett but not the other two people walking with him. THAT is a disgrace. I would agree to point that as a racial callout. But not the city council. Racism or not, the way the whole situation was handled was a joke and we the people of GB deserve better than that.

Got ya. I can see that as a reason the council acted the way they did, it's still wrong but it makes sense.

woodbuck27
10-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Very interesting thread.

Racism is definitely alive and NOT DOING ANY ALL WELL..

in the US of A and Canada.

Anybody the believes otherwise is quite frankly either naive or deluded.

I could make a 100 posts to support this ..

" fact of life ".

:idea: The White man RULES Option card is often played. :idea:

Merlin
10-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Anyone interested in my new minority Balding, Light skinned, Obese, Boys (BLOBS), please read the following charter and submit a pint of blood for cholesterol testing (if it's below 230, you can't join):

1) BLOB history month is November.

2) Our official language is Broken American English

3) Fast food chains are our houses of worship and shall never be desecrated.

4) We worship the almighty Whopper as our god.

5) Anyone who makes fun of the Whopper will be killed (But don't worry, Blobism is a peaceful religion).

6) Since we are now a minority, the government is responsible to pay for all of our medical treatment including our visits to the Hair Club For Men. They will also, upon our death, be responsible to pay for the XXXXL coffins so that no hardship is put on our family.

7) Our religion does not allow us to work on any day that the Whopper is $.99, when the McDonald’s Monopoly Game is playing, when Domino’s Pizza has their Two for Tuesday deal, when Taco Bell has their $.99 menu or when the China Buffet has Crab Rangoon out. Those days will be considered paid holiday’s and the employer cannot fire us if we do not come to work because that would be discrimination against our religion and therefore illegal.

8) Though shalt not use the word Whopper in any public school. That would be a violation of church and state as stated in our constitution. Or should we say as “interpreted” by a bunch of people in black dresses.

9) We will however allow our largest chapter to be bombed by crazy people and do nothing about it but bitch and complain. After all, we are pacifists and it’s just too hard to defend ourselves against these crazy people. We will just try to “talk” it out and hope that the money we gave them will make them go away.

10) Since we are a new minority, the government will give us all the money we need because our founder’s great, great, great grandfather back in 1786 was refused food at a pub because they said he was too fat. Therefore, today, we are OWED THIS!

11) We reserve the right to mislead, lie, and disillusion anyone in order to gain power within the government. The media will do our bidding and publish nothing positive about anyone not belonging to our group. If the media does this, we will threaten them with taking away their FCC license.

12) Last but not least, since global warming is causing the heat to rise because of us BLOBS, we demand that history be re-written to reflect this.

The following facts will be stricken from the history books: 1930-1940 was the hottest decade on record, 1975 scientists predicted we were entering the beginning of a new ice age, the worst hurricane season was in the 1930-1940’s and nature causes 99.8% of all gases that affect global warming.

The following will replace the facts and become the truth: 1998-current is the hottest it has ever been, there is no record of a cold trend (the data was faulty), the worst hurricane season on record was 2005 and BLOBS cause 100% of all of the gases that affect global warming.

And here you though racism was a serious issue.

Partial
10-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Some cops though are just on a power trip.

Amen!

Terry
10-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Interesting thread.

On the hand on his gun incident, I think this is standard practice. Furthermore, cops have to do such things with everyone, lest they be accused of discriminatory behaviour when situations really call for it. That's why the good ole' days of taking in a cooperative suspect without cuffs are just that - in the good ole' days.

This is not to say that cops aren't getting more intimidating. They are. And believe me, you ain't seen nuthin' yet! But that's by the by.

On the searching the car incident, I agree that it was a scare tactic. The problem is, at times like that it IS scary. One needs a lot of chutzpah to call the bluff and throw an even better one back, like how they're going to sue the department and that officer in particular if one is harrassed about a trumped up, phony DUI suspicion.

On Barnett's jaywalking incident, the thing is that the cop recognized Barnett and knew he had warned him before. That's why he issued the ticket. Not the brightest act he could have made that day, for sure. But it's pretty certain that racism didn't enter into it. According to the police chief, that particular officer has been spending off hours for years working with underprivileged children of all races.

However, that doesn't deny Rastak's comment about racism. Certainly Green Bay is racist. Every damn where is racist. I don't mean the USA, I mean the WORLD! That's the nature of the beast. We're a long way from healing that particular beast. It's a mixture of fear of the unknown and thousands of years of tribalism. It's ironic that a bunch of football fans - which is all about tribalism - would complain about racism. I know they're not the same, but to fail to see the interrelationship between them would be to miss the point entirely.

Since Barnett comes from a mixed race marriage, you can be sure that he's encountered plenty of racism in his life from all sides. Hell, I know a Jamaican woman who grew up in New York - since most American blacks are African-American and not Caribbean-American, she even enccountered racism from the black community as well as the white.

MJZiggy
10-14-2006, 11:26 AM
People are stupid.

MadtownPacker
10-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Every damn where is racist.
Exactly!!

I dont know if my crybaby post on page 1 made that point but thats what I meant. I just kinda went off a lil. No matter what or where it's gonna be that way. GB just gets a worse perception cuz the crowd is mostly white. OK, all white :smile:. I live in a like 60+% hispanic/latino/border brother area and it happens all the time. I have been to Mexico quite a few times and they are prejudice against other mexes!

I hope Barnett is shown love by TT and the fans because he has earned it on the field IMO. Though his samurai move might lose him some style points.