PDA

View Full Version : Continuing the Poison Pill

mngolf19
10-13-2006, 12:54 PM
I see that John Clayton believes the poison pill is here to stay for awhile. Wonder when it will be used next. I am personally against it, but if the rules are going to allow it, a team would be remiss from not using it to their benefit. Just can't be mad when it goes against you.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john#20061012

chewy-bacca
10-13-2006, 01:11 PM
please copy and past the story, its an insider deal.

thanks!

edit- I guess its just the 1st part we can all see that your refering too, but I would like to see the rest please.

mngolf19
10-13-2006, 02:22 PM

thanks!

edit- I guess its just the 1st part we can all see that your refering too, but I would like to see the rest please.

Sorry Chewy, not an Insider. This is from the Mpls paper.

Rastak
10-13-2006, 02:27 PM

thanks!

Sorry Chewy, not an Insider. This is from the Mpls paper.

I am.....enjoy.....

posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 | Print Entry

Poison pills here to stay: Attempts to fix the poison pill problem like the one used by the Vikings when they signed guard Steve Hutchinson are failing. The Management Council and the NFLPA are in the final stages of completing a lengthy document that will be distributed to teams. While fixing the poison pill concept was one of the league's priorities, the NFL deemed the trade off to fixing the pill too steep. Hutchinson signed a seven-year, $49 million contract with the Vikings, after being designated a transition player by the Seahawks. As a transition player, Hutchinson was allowed to sign with another team as long as the Seahawks had a chance to match.
The Vikings put clauses in the deal called poison pills that would have forced the Seahawks to guarantee all $49 million of the contract. The Seahawks and the league were furious. The union put a high price on eliminating those types of poison pills. In the end, the NFL felt so few players are affected that it wasn't worth giving more to the players in the CBA extension.

While the NFL won't be able to prevent teams from using poison pill clauses to steal restricted free agents, the league believes it won't be a big issue during the CBA extension. First, the Seahawks experience taught teams to franchise key free agents, instead of transitioning them. Second, more and more teams signed rookies to four-year contracts, eliminating many of the restricted free agents of the future. Third, the new CBA added a second-round designation that gives teams the chance to ward off offers on key special teams, and undrafted or low round draft choices, when they reach their restricted free agent years.